NHS Care-data

General chat forum
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Re: NHS Care-data

Post by Fed-up »

Pi - There will always be people who will sell personal data for money. In the days of paper records it was very hard to trace where that information leaked from as it only required a pad and paper and there was no list kept of who opened the filing cabinet.

Nowadays, every time a record is viewed, a record is made of who viewed it, and therefore when the leak is discovered it is normally a trivial check that is needed to determine possible suspects and bring them to trial. As a result you are far more likely to lose you job and get a criminal record. I would argue that it would make this type of leak more unlikely than the old paper system.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Possibly Fed-Up and I can see your thinking. For all that it's a bit late to name and shame after the horse(data) has bolted.

Like the sad situation where a mismanagement of medication or treatment leads to the tragic death of a patient - and the hospital apologises - fat lot of comfort that is to the bereaved!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

part of the idea of the system is to avoid the mismanagement of medication or treatment.

Imagine being on a day out "somewhere' and being suddenly struck down by illness (or a car)

with nationwide access to your notes, the A&E can avoid giving you medication that you're allergic to

nothing is perfect. "Data theft" will always happen. I wonder if the article refers to computer theft? These days we assume that it does, but the accused may be suspected of photocopying something-for all we know. and indeed, may be innocent anyway.(in all fairness)
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't know my nhs number despite carrying notes around with it on for the majority of 2013 so even if I was struck down by anything in a strange town it wouldn't make any difference to my treatment at A&E.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Does anybody know their NHS number? I could tell you my NI number but not NHS.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Caveman
Super Contributor

Post by Caveman »

lizwing wrote:Does anybody know their NHS number? I could tell you my NI number but not NHS.
I do now. Seems to be a new thing. The NHS number was on the Appointment Request form attached to my GP's letters which stated: Recently the NHS has launched a new Choose and Book scheme. You now have the opportunity to choose where and when you would like to be seen in a hospital clinic.

Perversely there was no choice, but didn't really matter.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Yep, I know my NHS number and one day met the person who had the next number ( I used to be a dental nurse and had to record NHS numbers )

If you know your name and date of birth you may not need your NHS number (?)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I presume if you were in no fit state to tell them anything they'd still treat you !
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Les

Post by Les »

I can remember my old WW2 registration number, DSRJ132/4! That at one time was the NHS number as well.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

If you're taken into A&E unconscious, then all the data in the world won't help you. First thing they do is pump you full of antibiotics as a prophylaxis then if you need an op you get gassed in theatre - no time to ask when you last ate or allergies there and no time to look you up either - if the system is working and the right staff have been 'trained' to use it that is. I just think that gathering all this data is a waste of time and invasion of privacy.

At one time, the RBH were considering using data gathered during visits by children at A&E, to form a type of early warning/flagging system for suspected child abuse. You would not believe the presumptions being made by staff on that one I can tell you!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Caveman
Super Contributor

Post by Caveman »

Voiceoftreason? wrote:If you're taken into A&E unconscious, then all the data in the world won't help you. First thing they do is pump you full of antibiotics as a prophylaxis then if you need an op you get gassed in theatre - no time to ask when you last ate or allergies there and no time to look you up either - if the system is working and the right staff have been 'trained' to use it that is. . .
That bit of information plus the current bit of blue sky will certainly help to brighten up my weekend! :wink:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Haha - yep sorry Cave, my dour Scottish heritage obviously got the better of me there!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
daisyanne

Post by daisyanne »

Tell you what if and when I get the care data thingi I will be opting out. Why well the hospital already sells your info to ambulance chasers. Have had proof of that a couple of times recently. So I know that they won't quip about selling the rest of the info on to all and sundry. Sad to say the NHS of today is not so incorruptible as it used to be.
Caveman
Super Contributor

Post by Caveman »

acc
Contributor

Post by acc »

NHS Digital is replacing the current GP data extraction scheme with the much broader General Practice Data for Planning and Research (GPDPR) scheme, which will collect from GP practices the records of every registered patient, not for the purposes of the care of the patient, but for other purposes such as "research and analysis" and for sharing with "approved" organisations outside the NHS.

The data sharing will start on 1 July 2021, passing every patient's data automatically on a daily basis from the GP practice to NHS Digital (and ultimately to external organisations) unless the patient specifically opts-out.

If you do not want your GP to share your identifiable patient data for purposes except for your own care, you can opt-out by registering a Type 1 Opt-out to the GP Surgery before 23 June 2021, using a form such as this.

You can also register a National Data Opt-out, which will prevent NHS Digital from sharing your identifiable patient data with external organisations, at Make Your Choice About Sharing Your NHS Records.

Your individual care will not be affected if you opt-out using either option.

More information:
NHS Data Grab.
Your medical records are about to be given away.
Legal threat sharpens over UK government plans to harvest patient data from GPs.
How to Opt Out.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Surely all you need to carry is a card with the name and practice address of your GP. No more difficult than carrying a bank card.

Problem being 24/7 I guess. So the card needs your current medication and condition and any allergies. But do a&e look for a card or does one need to invest in one of those medical lockets or bracelets?

Too much to go wrong with a data base.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

The point here is a concern that private medical information could end up with a commercial organisation who would sell it on to those, for example, marketing certain drugs, offering various therapies or a vetting service for employers.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Never has so much time and money been donated to data protection and never has there been so little data protection in my lifetime.

Return to “Chatty Person”