Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

Dai Brainbocs
Super Contributor

Re: Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

Post by Dai Brainbocs »

Dunno. It's a nice idea, but what would the bottom line be?

We are members at the Regal in Henley where there are three screens on what I'm guessing is a much bigger site than St Martin's would offer. To some extent one in Caversham would be bound to take business away from there. And if, say, there was space for only two screens, it could hardly then afford to carry the sort of minority-appeal films Henley does, even for a single showing - I think the smallest audience I've been in was six or seven for a subtitled samurai film (my first and last). Meanwhile, for the big budget stuff Reading has a multiplex but Henley has none.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

We are members at the Regal in Henley where there are three screens on what I'm guessing is a much bigger site than St Martin's would offer. To some extent one in Caversham would be bound to take business away from there. And if, say, there was space for only two screens, it could hardly then afford to carry the sort of minority-appeal films Henley does, even for a single showing - I think the smallest audience I've been in was six or seven for a subtitled samurai film (my first and last). Meanwhile, for the big budget stuff Reading has a multiplex but Henley has none.
There are examples elsewhere - Southampton is one I have experience of. They have a two-screen Picturehouse and a huge multiplex within walking distance of each other. The Picturehouse survives by deliberately being different. Tiny audiences aren't limited to unusual films - I went to a weeknight 8pm showing at the Oracle a couple of weeks ago and there were only about 10 people in there! It seems to work in Southampton, and population-wise I'd have thought the catchment was similar.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The trees apparently have some major problems and my feeling is that no worthwhile development can get around the problem of those roots.

The small cinema in Henley is quite popular and seems to work well.

On the plans I saw I didn't notice a great increase in height above Iceland......there will be extra residential housing provided too on the Jennings side....so I suspect it will all look in keeping.

I don't see how Pizza Express can be huge, its not a huge space....

Nor do I see how the developer can make it look 'villagey' the shops on the other side of the road add that dimension and Church House and Archway House will remain, there will be two 'planned to be pleasant' areas instead of one, that should help
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Is it being a bit snobby hoping that Iceland will disappear? :whistle1:

I think it's progress, but looks a bit clunky.

B- needs improvement.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

One of guys doing the presentation seemed to think it was kind of odd having Iceland and Waitrose serving the same community but thats the situation..... :?
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Mayfield wrote:One of guys doing the presentation seemed to think it was kind of odd having Iceland and Waitrose serving the same community but thats the situation..... :?
A lot of people were most upset when Iceland left and M&S took its place, and were very pleased when it came back again. It is very popular (not with me - I don't have a freezer!).
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Mayfield wrote:One of guys doing the presentation seemed to think it was kind of odd having Iceland and Waitrose serving the same community
Well, in any community you have the chavs and the chav-nots... :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Avis, Iceland have quite a few non frozen good offers, 6 eggs £1........that sort of thing, and they were doing 4 pints of milk for £1 ages before Waitrose....I sometimes get my mothers PG tips in there, often good offers on those. It's worth an occasional look
I'm a rare visitor and I was sorry to see M&S go, but some how it never quite hit the mark
jonbryce
Super Contributor

Post by jonbryce »

ReadingT wrote:Is it being a bit snobby hoping that Iceland will disappear? :whistle1:

I think it's progress, but looks a bit clunky.

B- needs improvement.
I buy stuff from both Iceland and Waitrose. Much better than having a Marks & Spencer there, as there is absolutely no reason to go to M&S when there is a much better and cheaper Waitrose two doors away.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Somebody today said that the cinema would be above Costa, but that wasn't my understanding.

So far taking soil samples has left half the precinct without electricity and caused quite a bit of disruption in the car park.....oh joy :wink:
Boring

Post by Boring »

Mayfield wrote:Avis, Iceland have quite a few non frozen good offers, 6 eggs £1........that sort of thing, and they were doing 4 pints of milk for £1 ages before Waitrose....I sometimes get my mothers PG tips in there, often good offers on those...
Buy as much as you can in Iceland at their low prices and the rest at Waitrose. Obviously, Iceland doesn't have the range of Waitrose but it's bright, friendly, pleasant and what they do sell is of high quality and cheap. Waitrose need to get hold of their Caversham branch, the people are nice in the main and they have a good range of products but the shop is cramped, gloomy and needs a serious makeover. It lost its way several years ago, nowadays it's just not John Lewis.

N.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I would agree with you about Waitrose - the people are lovely but it is badly managed, and layout and stock control are not what they should be.

Once a month I have to go to Tilehurst for a meeting, and treat myself to a visit to the Waitrose there, which is huge and has all sorts of things that Caversham doesn't have room for.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

A few months ago I suspect Waitrose Caversham were told that their wastage figures needed improving, so now if I shop between 3.30 and 4pm there are often trolleys of reduced items near the door and on the chilled section near the sandwiches. But you are right, being a smaller store they do not have the selection of some other branches.
motty

Post by motty »

I would like them to expand the rear square/public area more into the car park at the back. If they can increase parking capacity with a decked car park, then that should enable them to use some of the liberated space alongside Iceland. If they wish to improve access to/from the river - something they say they want to do, but I see no evidence of in the plans - why not create a tree-linesd pedestrian through-way from there through the old car park to Abbotsmead Place?

If they have to remove the old trees, I think they should be required to replace them with new ones. Trees are so lacking from town centres and shopping centres in many places, but they really contribute a natural, relaxing atmosphere. I can't see why that cannot be made a condition of redevelopment.

Finally, as with any development of this type, I think there needs to be ample provision for bicycles - so, some good, large, cycle racks please!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The plans I saw had replacement trees, in fact more trees, but smaller species, also the. At park is pretty much landscaped , certainly along the entrance boundary....

When I asked the chap at the display what comments had been so far he actually said some people wanted less trees.......
Dai Brainbocs
Super Contributor

Post by Dai Brainbocs »

Even though I think it has already been extended at least once, Waitrose Caversham has really been too small ever since it opened what, 30 years ago? Usually go over to Tilehurst unless it's a time of day when Cow Lane is likely to be impassable.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

I suppose this fits in here as it must be to do with the Waitrose expansion.

Having added narrowing to the mini roundabout (I imagine to slow people down) at the meeting of Church Street, Prospect Street and Gosbrook Road, there seems to be another change coming.

They have put down markings for another mini roundabout where you turn in to Waitrose car park, effectively making it 2 mini roundabouts next to each other.

I'd wondered when they'd change it, it makes sense.
DreamFrog5

Post by DreamFrog5 »

I saw the development plans at the WADRA stand at the fete last week. Had heard more from the staff at Forresters earlier this year though. I hope they do get rid of that horrible alleyway next to Waitrose, it has always been really scary walking down it at night. Will be sad if they get rid of the trees in the middle, (memories of my first alcoholic drink leaning against them in 1990). It is run down though; in need of a proper facelift and people are constantly tripping up over the paving. Will they be keeping the white wooden frontage running above the shop names? If you are on the other side of the road the names are hidden.
I think it will bring more money in, would save a fortune on taxi's into town if you want to see a film, am not a fan of having to travel into Reading to The Oracle, too overwhelming for little old me :wink:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

ReadingT wrote:I suppose this fits in here as it must be to do with the Waitrose expansion.

Having added narrowing to the mini roundabout (I imagine to slow people down) at the meeting of Church Street, Prospect Street and Gosbrook Road, there seems to be another change coming.

They have put down markings for another mini roundabout where you turn in to Waitrose car park, effectively making it 2 mini roundabouts next to each other.

I'd wondered when they'd change it, it makes sense.
I always thought that was a weird / poor layout -my mate who owns the shop there hates it as a few have mounted the pavement and nearly gone in

But this sounds really odd - will it mean anyone turning right coming down Prospect will almost meet head on / pass close too, with someone trying right out of the car park road?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Boring

Post by Boring »

Avis wrote:I would agree with you about Waitrose - the people are lovely but it is badly managed, and layout and stock control are not what they should be.
Their stock control puzzles me as well, sometimes products just disappear from the shelves. If you take this up with the staff they tell you the branch doesn't have control over what get stocked, end of story. So no more 'Oatibix' for us, it wouldn't have happened when the old manager was there and the place used to tick like a clock.

N.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I moaned for months about the lack of sub rolls - they stock them, but not enough, that's resolved, now they haven't got the jumbo hot dogs to put in them.....:-(

One of the problems is the lack of staff to put out the stock they do have....
Les

Post by Les »

It is the same with all the multi-branch supermarkets. 'Head Office' send what they think the branch needs based on the branch sales returns together with a plan of where the shelf stackers have to put it, which is why there often anomalies.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I would imagine the scanners feed into t he epos system so there's not much excuse really
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

Les wrote:It is the same with all the multi-branch supermarkets. 'Head Office' send what they think the branch needs based on the branch sales returns together with a plan of where the shelf stackers have to put it, which is why there often anomalies.
From my experience( admittedly in Ireland) that isn't the case. To quote the example of Dunnes Stores...a major player here...there is a stock card which the suppliers rep fills out and the Manager responsible authorises an order with him based on it for the next period. There s a Planaogram which sets out the exact shelf space available for that product.(I spent my time trying to increase both the order and the shelf space)
monsento

Post by monsento »

looks great much more welcoming, hopefully pizza express is a filler name and the company will use one of their other brands but we also have a zizzi and ask as that would bring us three although we have the others to in the town centre grammar/punctuation fail haha
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

getReading
by Alan Bunce
08/10/14

Developer Hermes has submitted a revised planning application with a number of alterations following comments from Reading Borough Council and the public.......

Full story on getReading
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Oh you lucky Caversham people. You are getting a branch of Signage. :-)
Boring

Post by Boring »

chris_j_wood wrote:Oh you lucky Caversham people. You are getting a branch of Signage. :-)
Rotter, I've been searching Google for a chain called 'Signage.'

N.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Boring wrote:
chris_j_wood wrote:Oh you lucky Caversham people. You are getting a branch of Signage. :-)
Rotter, I've been searching Google for a chain called 'Signage.'

N.
:roflol3:

We also seem to have gained a ghostly tree - and the red car is driverless, so might have been abandoned to dash into the sign shop.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

I'll never understand why developers both with balconies like that."Oh I love sitting out watching the traffic at a standstill".
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I wonder why it doesn't say Iceland where it says Signage ? I thought they were staying........?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

The two hoodies lurking on the railings look a bit sinister.......
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Whitley Boy

Post by Whitley Boy »

Especially as one looks like he is thumping his mate in the Jacobs with his right hand ....

:-)
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

St Martins Precinct Church Street Caversham Reading

Description: Erection of new and extended retail (use class A1) floorspace, new restaurant (use class A3), new leisure (use class D2) floorspace, residential apartments (use class C3), car park works (including erection of a single storey deck and reconfiguration at ground level) and associated landscaping, surfacing, public realm and shopfront improvement works.

Planning application :
http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... &Postcode=
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

johnH wrote:St Martins Precinct Church Street Caversham Reading

Description: Erection of new and extended retail (use class A1) floorspace, new restaurant (use class A3), new leisure (use class D2) floorspace, residential apartments (use class C3), car park works (including erection of a single storey deck and reconfiguration at ground level) and associated landscaping, surfacing, public realm and shopfront improvement works.

Planning application :
http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... &Postcode=
Extract from the website: http://www.stmartinscentre-caversham.co.uk/#feedback

•Potential to reconfigure the existing car parkin (sic) within a landscaped setting and increase overall parking numbers from 254 to 206 with separate dedicated residential parking

Does this make sense to anyone? Do parking numbers increase or decrease? If they are less where will the new users of the enhanced facilities park?
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”