Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

piwacket

Re: Waitrose cold feet

Post by piwacket »

This has already been mentioned on here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=9361&start=140
:)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
buseng
Super Contributor

Re: Waitrose cold feet

Post by buseng »

Buster grey wrote:Waitrose has back peddled about expanding in Caversham.

Due to market changes we are told.

I would laugh if Aldi moved into the Super Drug site.
Don't think they would, the one near TGI's is not that far away.
TheHeights

Re: Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

Post by TheHeights »

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this development since Waitrose threw a spanner in the works and seemingly killed the entire redevelopment single handedly?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

No, was just thinking about that earlier.......
TheHeights

Post by TheHeights »

I hope I'm wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that after leaving things for as long as possible we'll see a revised development proposal focussed on lucrative flats and offices with things like the extra parking, landscaping and cinema mysteriously removed in the name of costs... :(
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Not a word. Everything has gone very quiet. The old QS shop is still empty and no sign of Superdrug moving next door (it is nearly a year since that move was scheduled).
TheHeights

Post by TheHeights »

Well the good news is it looks like the development is back on again according to get reading...

St Martin's precinct in Caversham: delay as plans are amended

Apparently "The developer has submitted a “non-material amendment” to the planning application, to insert a phasing plan, which if approved, will enable the first phase of work on the upgrade to the existing retail precinct to begin." I rather wonder what the proposed "phased" approach will be and over how long. I certainly hope this isn't going to leave the community, infrastructure such as parking and leisure aspects such as the cinema being left to a far distant phase which may, or may not ever happen.

It'll be good to see St Martins get a tidy up but I'd love to see an investment to bring people into the village at all times including evenings to build a thriving local community and avoid the "easy" template of as many offices/flats (which with the new bridge access to the station and Crossrail coming I'm sure will sell for a fortune) as possible whilst the shops continue the all too familiar slide in so many small high streets into charity shops, nail bars, hair dressers and funeral directors.

The small "boutique" cinema was, I felt at least, a inspired idea in helping to bring people into the area and boost trade.

There's a real opportunity for a shot in the arm for a local community to build on the excellent restaurants and pubs already in Caversham to be real vibrant focus for homes, shops and leisure, I do hope it doesn't get missed.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

Well said I agree. Such a shame Waitrose pulled out it was looking to be a great development, but now I fear we will only get what the developers can sell for the most, rather their being a community element. Still we may be surprised, you never know!!!
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The trees behind Waitrose have been chopped down this week ( not the birches that separate the car parks but the trees that were in the middle on the Waitrose side ) maybe there is good reason and they need to come down so some sort of work can begin although it would seem odd to start behind Waitrose.....at least something is happening.
TheHeights

Post by TheHeights »

...and it all seems to have gone quiet again.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

Lets hope its not just going to moulder for years to come and become just another run down precict with half the shops empty....it is on its way to that state now...
Stewart
Alan

Post by Alan »

I see there is a new application in to include a 'pod' somewhere near the card shop that will sell coffee or flowers. I bet it's coffee.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

What a Pod?
Stewart
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

I assume it's a needlessly contemporary and trendy replacement for the perfectly adequate and well-understood term "kiosk", but I could be wrong.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Yes if you look at the planning application it is very much a kiosk and in my view will look utterly rubbish in the swanky new precinct but then if they didn't realise Waitrose were flakey about their interest, I doubt they'd have much clue how to make a decent job of the precinct.
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

Stewart wrote:What a Pod?
quoting F Howerd....Senna the miserable old pod.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

The Waitrose entrance has been opened up. It's also no longer a fire exit only.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I think there are going to be more self service tills and also that they will be taking in dry cleaning which won't be very good news for the two dry cleaners we already have. They'll also clean or launder duvets....I'm just waiting to see how much they charge .

Oh and the wine sections getting a new floor....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote:I assume it's a needlessly contemporary and trendy replacement for the perfectly adequate and well-understood term "kiosk", but I could be wrong.

If you look at most coffee selling companies there are 3 levels - Pod, which is basically a coffee machine / Cart - pretty self explanatory / Kiosk - and again obvious what that is

But I am guessing this is just fancy wording for a small kiosk
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Why anyone thinks we need yet more Coffee in Caversham I don't know.....firstly it will be very close to Costa, then there's Alto and the Bakery opposite with Tipsy Bean and the new Nomad Bakery just up Prospect Street. Siblings Home is just a few steps away, plus you can get a coffee in Waitrose ( free for my Waitrose Card holders, if you spend £10 )

Coffee is one thing we are well catered for ( and I don't even drink it )
TheHeights

Post by TheHeights »

I almost dread to ask but has anyone seen any sign this might actually get done? HAs the developer ever published what the actual development and timescales will be, the same as was just without the Waitrose expansion 9which I guess means the extra car parking spaces also bites the dirt?

Such a shame, I seem to remember (wrongly perhaps) development would have been well under way by now. I really do hope it amounts to more than a new block of flats where the kebab van is with a Pizza express and a lick of paint on the rest.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

There were workmen who seemed to be using the empty shop as a base before Christmas, and of course the Baquette Shop has closed, apparently because the owners wanted the tenants out because of the development...but apart from that, nothing...
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Without Waitrose it's lost any impetus and won't be half as good.
monsento

Post by monsento »

have waitrose said they are not doing anything? could probably squeeze some extra space if they moved things around.
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Waitrose pulled out of the expansion plans in Sept
2015 citing "trading conditions across the supermarket sector" and "shifts in customer shopping patterns" as reasons why.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-34314405

They have done their own little internal refurb already.
varialectio
Contributor

Post by varialectio »

Trees in the precinct are being cut down now. The large one nearest the road is gone. They are now working on the one next to Costa Coffee.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

But the plans showed that they would be replaced with semi mature trees with deeper root systems which won't raise the paving...

It's always a shame to lose mature trees but I don't think there was much choice.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

From an earlier thread the trees seem to have been the last remaining vestige of the garden of the old house that used to stand on the site and became the Caversham Academy school.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

varialectio wrote: 26 Feb 2017 14:31 Trees in the precinct are being cut down now. The large one nearest the road is gone. They are now working on the one next to Costa Coffee.

I think the one right next to Costa has a TPO on it and it is only beeing trimmed and not fully removed. The two in the centre are going and being replaced.
Buster grey

St Martins presinct

Post by Buster grey »

How long are going to have dump trucks whizzing round St Martins precinct, they are not refurbishing the Orical. Bet the shop keepers in the precinct love it.
Mayfield

Re: St Martins presinct

Post by Mayfield »

A few months yet I think...last week they managed to go through the lines that carried all the traders credit card connections ....quickly repaired though to be fair.
Stewart
Super Contributor

Post by Stewart »

Anyone know exactly what they are intending to do at the precinct? Apart from ripping out trees and putting some ply over the concrete facade (I assume to support new cladding). Waitrose having pulled out it I am sure there will be no mini-cinema or car multi-story car park rumoured in the original plan.. Just wondered if anyone had seen any firm plans of the current pared down“upgrade”…
Stewart
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

To be fair level paving will be a considerable improvement, not impressed with the choice of tree as I think they may make it pretty shady, dull a lot of the time once mature, but I'll be happy to be wrong. The facure ( sp ? ) will be an improvement, but it's a shame it won't be what was hoped for as far as I can see, and nice that it is that Costa have outside tables it's just an external smokey Joes to walk through.....

Btw Ashley Blooms has gone from the opposite side...
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Stewart wrote: 20 Jun 2017 07:52 Anyone know exactly what they are intending to do at the precinct? Apart from ripping out trees and putting some ply over the concrete facade (I assume to support new cladding). Waitrose having pulled out it I am sure there will be no mini-cinema or car multi-story car park rumoured in the original plan.. Just wondered if anyone had seen any firm plans of the current pared down“upgrade”…
To be fair - as you can see when you pass on the top of a bus they have also completely re waterproofed the flat roofs of the concrete overhangs which will make a massive difference to the appearance of the street as there will no longer be any horrible pools of limestone under it. They are also (and have done many) replaced all of the shopfronts into a uniform style and colour.

I have looked at the phasing plans they submitted to the council when Waitrose pulled out and they are as follows:

1a - A3 Restaurant and Residential (Land between end of existing building and telephone exchange)
1b - St Martins Square and Canopies
2a - Cinema and a£ Restaurant (Above iceland)
2b - Units 8 and 9 reconfiguration (Superdrug, empy unit and alleyway by Waitrose)
2c - Carpark
2d - Caversham square (area where current toilets are)
3a - Resedential above Costa
4 - Resedential above Terry's

Whats isn't clear is the order of the phasing, and given they have done 1b before 1a I would assume it isn't in that order.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

My guess is they will concentrate on the new flats, as that way they get an income sooner. Read a comment at the time Waitrose pulled out, saying Hermes thought the scheme was only just viable for them, but I suppose they would say that. Still it must have been a big blow. I heard a rumour that the cinema might be over Superdrug, with more flats over Iceland instead, which might allow them to build them sooner.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”