Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

Boring

Re: Redevelopment of St Martin's Precinct, Caversham?

Post by Boring »

C.A.Versham wrote:Does this make sense to anyone? Do parking numbers increase or decrease? If they are less where will the new users of the enhanced facilities park?
At the public presentation of the project I did ask if the car park was designed with a view to popping-on another storey or two if required at some time in the future, but I didn't get an answer.

N.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

C.A.Versham wrote:Extract from the website: http://www.stmartinscentre-caversham.co.uk/#feedback

•Potential to reconfigure the existing car parkin (sic) within a landscaped setting and increase overall parking numbers from 254 to 206 with separate dedicated residential parking

Does this make sense to anyone? Do parking numbers increase or decrease? If they are less where will the new users of the enhanced facilities park?
No. I suspect one of three things
* A typo where "increase" should read "decrease". Possible, but I'm not sure if the Council is so openly anti-car (quiet at the back!) as to make a reduction in car parking provision at a retail development officially deemed to be A Good Thing on a planning document.
* A typo where 206 should be 306
* Some sort of unexplained excising of text, such that it should read "increase overall parking numbers from 254 to 206 with separate dedicated residential parking of X spaces" where X>48, so that 206 + X > 254

It could of course always be some sort of politico-corporate desecration of the language whereby a change from 254 to 206 is in fact deemed to be an "increase", I which case I await the explanation of such.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

an article in the Chronic mentioned a reduction of 50 spaces
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

dave m wrote:an article in the Chronic mentioned a reduction of 50 spaces
The application will be considered by the Planning Applications Committee on 12 November at 6.30 in the Council Chamber. It is an open meeting.

The officer's recommendation is to permit the application.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Do they start meetings at 6.30 in order to make it as difficult as possible for the public to get there??
Jeff59
Contributor

Post by Jeff59 »

Mayfield wrote:Do they start meetings at 6.30 in order to make it as difficult as possible for the public to get there??
Yes, that can surely be the only possible reason.

During the day, of course, they all sprawl about on tiger-skin rugs being gently fanned with ostrich feather fans by their catamites, sipping vintage Krug supplied by their favoured contractors, and devoting their entire time to dreaming up new transport schemes and roadworks designed specifically to inconvenience you, Mayfield.

This is all true. Bloke in the pub told me.

Edited
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Very funny...but if you invite public input shouldn't you at least have the courtesy to make it viable for interested parties to get there...for instance people who live in the area but work elsewhere and have a commute ? Even I would be nervous about getting into Reading and parking in rush hour, in time (and I like to allow a decent margin)

I suppose none of these fan waving folk are paid overtime ? And I guess they do it every night too ?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

My brother was involved in Council meetings (as an employee) with his first job. This was when the civic centre was new, so a fairly long time ago.

people complained that the meetings were long and ran late.
maybe that's why they start early?
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

They were going to make it 7.30 but it clashed with Corrie.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Jeff59 wrote:
Mayfield wrote:Do they start meetings at 6.30 in order to make it as difficult as possible for the public to get there??
Yes, that can surely be the only possible reason.

During the day, of course, they all sprawl about on tiger-skin rugs being gently fanned with ostrich feather fans by their catamites, sipping vintage Krug supplied by their favoured contractors, and devoting their entire time to dreaming up new transport schemes and roadworks designed specifically to inconvenience you, Mayfield. Oh and buseng, of course.

This is all true. Bloke in the pub told me.
What are you trying to say, you sarky idiot ?
You only have been on this forum 5 minutes & already slagging other more long standing members off.
Do us all a favour & leave again.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

savagethegoat wrote:They were going to make it 7.30 but it clashed with Corrie.
Careful what you say, stupid Jeff59 will come & attack you.
Tricky
Super Contributor

Post by Tricky »

Wit and sarcasm is thoroughly frowned upon by some members of this forum.

Come and join us in the Caversham Heights School thread Jeff59... The place could do with brightening up 8)
Savebugsbottom.com
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Tricky wrote:Wit and sarcasm is thoroughly frowned upon by some members of this forum.

Come and join us in the Caversham Heights School thread Jeff59... The place could do with brightening up 8)
It is when it is aimed directly to people personally, especially without provocation.
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

buseng wrote:
savagethegoat wrote:They were going to make it 7.30 but it clashed with Corrie.
Careful what you say, stupid Jeff59 will come & attack you.
He and anyone else can attack away, mate. I have broad shoulders and sometimes deserve it.

I was being a bit sarky myself. No meeting time will suit everyone, of course.
MonkeyMan

Post by MonkeyMan »

Went to take my daughter for a Saturday morning breakfast at the cafe in the precinct to only discover that it's closed down. What a shame, was a great little place and so much better for a slap up breakfast than the Gorge. Hope not connected to the redevelopment.
brett

Post by brett »

I went there today and saw the sign :( gutted.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

On cgg it said that they didn't tell their staff until Sunday when they closed, just said they wouldn't be opening on Monday .....pretty odd after all this time
MonkeyMan

Post by MonkeyMan »

Oh well time for a new thread for a decent cafe in Caversham. I am gonna miss this one, Pizza Express just won't cut it for our breakfast needs :-)
brett

Post by brett »

Mayfield wrote:On cgg it said that they didn't tell their staff until Sunday when they closed, just said they wouldn't be opening on Monday .....pretty odd after all this time
hi

what is cgg? I'm interested in knowing more about the closure
MonkeyMan

Post by MonkeyMan »

Caversham Gossip Girls
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

MonkeyMan wrote:Caversham Gossip Girls
I have been trying to join that group for months, nothing ever happens when I click on the join button. Just says "pending".
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

That's odd, it was really quick when I did it....within a day, probably a couple of hours...
johnH
Site Admin

New designs for Caversham's St Martin's precinct

Post by johnH »

getReading
By Jonathan Low
22/01/15

'Completely bland modern buildings' will not be coming to a new development in Caversham according to the man behind the St Martin's plans. Regeneration of St Martin's precinct includes increasing the size of Waitrose, constructing new residential apartments and a boutique cinema and creating a landscaped parking area. Helen Lambert, who chairs the Caversham and District Residents’ Association, had described the plans as 'completely bland modern buildings'......

Click : getReading St Martin's Precinct
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Reading Chronicle
29/01/15

"Distinctly Caversham” is how the people behind the redevelopment of St Martin’s Precinct feel the project will look by the end of 2016.

A boutique cinema is close to being a reality, Pizza Express will be moving in beneath new homes, Waitrose supermarket is set to increase in size by a third, and two new public plazas are set to draw people into the village throughout the day and into the evening......

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... er-revamp/
Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

it looks like Bracknell
Risotto
Super Contributor

Post by Risotto »

In a similar vein, perhaps the developers should propose to the council that Caversham be renamed Slough-on-Thames in recognition of the architectural merits of their designs.

Shockingly dull and out of keeping with the rest of Caversham - and sadly with us for another generation at least.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It looks like hundreds of other places with square, character free buildings and I don't know what makes it ' Distinctly Caversham'.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
savagethegoat

Post by savagethegoat »

distinctively Caversham means that all the shopkeepers will be at each others throats and the Residents will fill their time by organising petitions.....
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

...whilst agreeing that something must be done, as long as it does not affect them in any way, shape or form.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Is there room for a free school on this site?
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Bear in mind it's a refurb, not starting from scratch...and what architectural merit did Caversham have to start with...maybe 3 buildings with any history or merit.....

Personally I'd like to see good planting, but we'll see....
DreamFrog5

Post by DreamFrog5 »

I know for a FACT that there will be 'good planting'. That part is all in hand :-)
ReadingT
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingT »

Mayfield wrote:Bear in mind it's a refurb, not starting from scratch...and what architectural merit did Caversham have to start with...maybe 3 buildings with any history or merit.....

Personally I'd like to see good planting, but we'll see....
My thoughts. What is the "Caversham look" anyway?! I don't know how it can look either un-Caversham-esque, or "distinctly Caversham"?!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I once heard Stephen Fry talk about how London is also a hotch potch of styles and none the poorer for it, historically I guess it's more interesting to track development ....maybe in a few years the late 20th century period will be valued architecturally, and it could be that Tudors hated all those black beams that people think are so attractive now.....
I don't love it, but if it's refurbished and then maintained it won't be that bad....
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It's no oil painting now.

the whole thing about British architecture is that there is little wholesale planning.
Occasionally you get Bath, more often, Coventry or Bracknell.
"organic development " can be great with a mixture of different eras but wholesale redevelopment tend to end in disaster

Return to “Property developments in Reading”