Reading Festival

General chat forum
lizwing
Super Contributor

Reading Festival

Post by lizwing »

There are a few cheap and cheerful looking 'hotels' in Caversham Road,I think one is called The Bridge but don't know the others. Does anyone know the names? Our son always comes down to the festival with friends and they usually stay here and walk down to the site each day. This year,of course,we shan't be here so he needs somewhere to stay.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
wendy

Re: Reading Festival

Post by wendy »

I dont know those, but there is availability at the m4 travelodges. I know a taxi from there to tilehurst is reasonable because friends have done it.
m4 westbound is only £33 per room per night.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Thanks Wendy that might be an option. Of course we're being very very thoughtless moving before the festival ! I did think of making a condition of the sale that they let Andrew and his mate stay here for the weekend!
BY Paulo Coelho
johnH
Site Admin

Post by johnH »

Reading Town Forum on Twitter
Reading Town Forum YouTube
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Thank you John I'll pass those on to him. They must be the most untypical festival goers ever ! There have been as many as six of them sleeping here, OH would drive them down to the site,they'd get a taxi back here at night and sleep in comfort, wake up and have showers and a cooked breakfast and I used to make sandwiches for them to take to the site and do their muddy washing too.We never knew who was going to be here in the mornings ! Fun though.
BY Paulo Coelho
wendy

Post by wendy »

that sounds like my sort of festival.
Daniel in Reading

Post by Daniel in Reading »

I would imagine that all the hotels in Reading are booked up for the festival nights months beforehand - if you're going to try and make a reservation, you need to be doing it yesterday!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My thoughts exactly Daniel !
BY Paulo Coelho
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Three's one private residence offering accommodation for Reading Festival via the Festival Beds website at the moment:

http://festival-beds.com/?ct_property_t ... tings=true
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Thanks for that Bannock,he's checked it out online,it's based on three people sharing and works out at well over £350 for the weekend. There are only two of them so it's a bit too expensive.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

£350 - WOW! That's what you call 'making hay while the sun shines' (heavens open) :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It's two rooms with a shared kitchen £40 per night per person for three nights based on three people sharing, £360
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mmm, well I suppose explained like that I guess that's not bad - still a lot to find though on top of the Festival costs.

How about a Tent? :)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My son in a tent....don't think so.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

I'm not sure he's going to be able to get three people in a hotel for three nights for much less than £360. I expect they're all full for the weekend anyway, so perhaps he's going to have to learn to put up with a tent if he hasn't got the means/will to pay the going rate for indoor accommodation!

Just remembered - the Gorge Cafe does B&B, but I expect that's booked out by now.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

wendy

Post by wendy »

You could possibly try the warren dene b&b which is just by tilehurst station. I know they have triple rooms and theyre very cheap but I've no idea what its like inside, or if they have availability.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Bannock wrote:I'm not sure he's going to be able to get three people in a hotel for three nights for much less than £360. I expect they're all full for the weekend anyway, so perhaps he's going to have to learn to put up with a tent if he hasn't got the means/will to pay the going rate for indoor accommodation!

Just remembered - the Gorge Cafe does B&B, but I expect that's booked out by now.
There will only be two of them Bannock but the price is based on three staying,that's why it works out expensive. I've given him all the suggestions on here and now I shall leave it to him.
BY Paulo Coelho
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Reading Festival

Post by Lizzy33 »

Anyone going to the festival this weekend or have relatives that are?

Its cute seeing all the youngsters arrive and struggle with their bags of clothes/booze/other to the site.

It has changed a lot and is no longer just a jazz or rock festival but something for a mix of music fans.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

The general opinion seems to be that there isn't anything on this year to interest anyone over the age of 19. Certainly all the people I've seen arriving yesterday and today, look very young.
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
joe_smooth
Super Contributor

Post by joe_smooth »

I love the festival but this year is the first year in a long time that has no bands at all that I'm interested in. There are a few in the dance tent but that's it. Maybe I'm finally old? :?
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

joe_smooth wrote: 22 Aug 2019 18:57 I love the festival but this year is the first year in a long time that has no bands at all that I'm interested in. There are a few in the dance tent but that's it. Maybe I'm finally old? :?
You're not old as long as you've at least heard of some of them.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

joe_smooth wrote: 22 Aug 2019 18:57 I love the festival but this year is the first year in a long time that has no bands at all that I'm interested in. There are a few in the dance tent but that's it. Maybe I'm finally old? :?
I’m told by a youngish friend who’s going with friends, that Foo Fighters are there on Monday (when they’re going) - and I’ve heard of them :))
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

The Alledged said he’d seen several younglings heading for the festival. Shorts up,to here and vest tops down to there. He was quite disturbed by the possible consequdences of what might happen if they were separated from their mates, dressed like that. Didn’t seem like that when we used to go - the music was the thing. Ok, bit of drinking (a lot of drinking tbh) but never felt unsafe ?

I overheard someone say that the festival is now seen as a post-gcse rite of passage. Jeez, that’s young. We were at least 19/20 when we started to go.

That probably makes me very old.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I have to admit Festivals as they are (apparently) have never appealed - never ever had that ‘pioneer’ mind-set of tents and discomfort - me - I’d have stayed in the East, rather than take a wagon and ‘go West’!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Sat outside the Moderation chatting to friends and noticed quite a few young people walking into town or heading to the festival. Seemed to be a well natured group with substantial quantities of cider. Not much commonality of dress apart from frighteningly bright sunglasses. Some young women were somewhat scantily clad and one wonders what their mothers would think.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Tommy
Super Contributor

Post by Tommy »

I've done 15 consecutive years at the festival. Some better than others but always have a good time regardless of the line-up. Although I missed that buzz this year when someone I really, really like is on later in the day.

Act I've never heard of before that I really enjoyed were Sea Girls.

Sad to hear that somebody died.
wirewiper
Super Contributor

Post by wirewiper »

>>> The Alledged said he’d seen several younglings heading for the festival. Shorts up,to here and vest tops down to there. <<<

Dreadful. And I bet the women were just as bad.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

wirewiper wrote: 27 Aug 2019 14:05 >>> The Alledged said he’d seen several younglings heading for the festival. Shorts up,to here and vest tops down to there. <<<

I could hardly believe it and had to check for myself. It was very sunny, hence the need for dark glasses, but given the weather in previous years, a mac seemed sensible.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

KeithW wrote: 27 Aug 2019 17:42
wirewiper wrote: 27 Aug 2019 14:05 >>> The Alledged said he’d seen several younglings heading for the festival. Shorts up,to here and vest tops down to there. <<<

I could hardly believe it and had to check for myself. It was very sunny, hence the need for dark glasses, but given the weather in previous years, a mac seemed sensible.
They had probably all consulted our local wise Facebook weather forecaster, and concluded that rainwear would not be necessary!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I was looking at the clean up pictures on GR and in the volunteer group photo is 1 neighbour, 1 relative and 2 friends
I knew one of them who helped with it but didn’t realise the others did!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Surprised they waited this long to decide as many other festivals / shows etc later in the year had already been cancelled
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

On the bright side, given the weather yesterday evening and today, can you imagine how grim it would be next week clearing up after the festival this year?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so

Return to “Chatty Person”