Chat Thread

General chat forum
lizwing
Super Contributor

Re: Chat Thread

Post by lizwing »

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8550954 ... lsrc=aw.ds

These are the ones I was talking about Pi.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 17 May 2022 20:53 These are the ones I was talking about Pi.
Yes, that’s the sort of thing, as long as it’s easy to push, that why I thought of a cordless one.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good Morning to All out there

Not too bad a start, its damp underfoot but no rain, fairly light when I left home and looks to be brightening up a bit more outside now

Drive in was a good / clear / steady run and nothing much else to say about it!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 17 May 2022 17:24
Fed-up wrote: 17 May 2022 14:52 Pi - We have one of these - https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Kitchen/F ... T/p/850252 -
Thanks - but rather more expensive than we’d thought of paying :) we have the Shark ‘proper’ vacuum which is very good
lizwing wrote: 17 May 2022 16:59 Our Panasonic upright is 2000w but sadly it’s on the blink and can’t be bought now. I prefer an upright cleaner and also one with bags but it seems almost impossible to buy a bagged one and the prices are outrageous. We have a Henry upstairs and a Vaxx which we rarely use, the Panasonic is the best of them all.
I had a Panasonic way back, and yes it was good. I borrowed a neighbours Henry for a trial run when looking for another - drove me ‘up the wall’ - kept catching on every bit of furniture and falling over!
OLDMAN wrote: 17 May 2022 15:40 Were lucky as have two Dyson cordless units, one small which is great for odds-n-ends and the big one for a main clean…..
When late OH came here, he insisted on buying a Dyson - he had to use it as I could barely move it! Mind you he was built like you - but when he’d passed on I gave it to my sister, who’s OH does the ‘hoovering’ - so No I certainly wouldn’t want another Dyson.

I really only want something that will pick up the bits of leaves, crumbs etc that if the room wasn’t so big, could be swept up with a dust-pan and brush.
Have to agree the Dyson uprights are heavy as we’ve had two over the years - we lost the last one due to smoke damage in our fire so bought Dyson (ball) floor type (DC36) as on offer - good suction etc but similar problems to a Henry due not cable / dragging it about!
I now use it for ‘dirty’ jobs (DIT stuff etc)

The small handheld cordless (DC56) OH bought a while back, and it survived the smoke damage as in the conservatory at the item where I’d last used it - it’s very light but only has a few tools and no floor pole) so you have to bend over to use it on floors, but it’s perfect for quick clean-ups / doing the car etc

The big one that we got for free by doing a survey / customer test / review is a V10 Absolute and is light enough (2.7kg) the OH can use it okay but it’s a beast for cleaning - I struggle to push it across our deep pile carpet on full power so have to turn the suction setting down!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, a bright and warm morning today and hopefully slightly warmer than yesterdays rather chilly one. Enjoyed a couple of hours with clubmates at our Chairman's farm yesterday, managed to get his 1912 16 horsepower Hornsby oil engine fired up following a forty year restoration although the cold wind meant that the hot bulb needed a lot of blowlamp work to get it warm enough to start. He coupled it to his tractor pto via a car wheel and tyre to provide a friction drive to turn the engine flywheel and it ran well for an hour or so. We fired up a few more engines afterwards and then his wife laid on a tea for us although I declined as I needed to get home. Mr Morrison delivering supplies this afternoon, then hopefully I can find some time to get on with some engine work for a friend.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Afternoon :) morning coffee and chat with a friend. Nice sunny day, and still that wind blows which persists in having a chill factor.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Sounds like a really good visit to your farmer chap WR. Shame you couldn't stay for what would have been I'm sure a substantial tea but needs must.

Lovely day today so tidied the lawn, having cut the grass yesterday, washed the garden furniture, sorted out the bird feeder and prepared some soup for lunch. Just found a slightly out of date kit for making a panettone so will have a go at that tomorrow. Something to look forward to.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
A few days off for me - not going away just at home getting jobs done - and the blooming MOPED
I got some Wynn's Dry Fuel stuff to hopefully ensure there is no residual water in the tank.
Moped paused though as needed to get shopping and housework done. Mrs D is off sick (most unlike her as she is usually in the rudest of health and very very fit) she has had a bad throat and cough and shortness of breath ever since building work was done at her work over the past few months whilst she was told to work in the same area and no ppe given and dust and sweeping not hoovering and dry-cutting not wet-cutting and exposing possible asbestos with no risk assessment and lots of dust, little or no ventilation. She now has been diagnosed with Asthma and has an inhaler for life and gawd knows what other damage has been done to her lungs. The academy trust people ignored all her concerns and just brushed her aside and even suggested that she was just change adverse and so now the Union are looking at it and so far prescriptions alone have cost us £200. It's just not right or fair. Watch this space I suppose...

Still, it's a nice warm dry day.
Peace and love (Not Vlad the razer-to-the-ground)
XX
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 18 May 2022 13:27 The academy trust people ignored all her concerns and just brushed her aside and even suggested that she was just change adverse and so now the Union are looking at it and so far prescriptions alone have cost us £200. It's just not right or fair. Watch this space I suppose...
Hmm that’s not good! Hopefully she’ll soon feel better, and the Unions get some answers.
Why have prescriptions cost you?
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

piwacket wrote: 18 May 2022 13:35
D5equj5 wrote: 18 May 2022 13:27 The academy trust people ignored all her concerns and just brushed her aside and even suggested that she was just change adverse and so now the Union are looking at it and so far prescriptions alone have cost us £200. It's just not right or fair. Watch this space I suppose...
Hmm that’s not good! Hopefully she’ll soon feel better, and the Unions get some answers.
Why have prescriptions cost you?
Prescriptions cost £9 something each item these days Pi I get free scripts but as Mrs D is a child bride, she has to pay.
Last edited by D5equj5 on 18 May 2022 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

We made a trip to our local supermarket this morning. My first serious trip out with the damned boot on. There's a pedestrian crossing in the car park. On our way in, we almost got fun over by an idiotic driver who seemed oblivious to the crossing. On our way out, bugger me if the same thing didn't happen again! Unfortunately, I was still wearing my mask, so even if the driver could lip-read, my considered thoughts were lost.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 18 May 2022 13:44 Prescriptions cost £9 something each item these days Pi I get free scripts but as Mrs D is a child bride, she has to pay.
Doesn’t she have a discount certificate, I always did. 3 or 6 monthly I think it was.
Hooped wrote: 18 May 2022 14:29 We made a trip to our local supermarket this morning. My first serious trip out with the damned boot on. There's a pedestrian crossing in the car park. On our way in, we almost got fun over by an idiotic driver who seemed oblivious to the crossing. On our way out, bugger me if the same thing didn't happen again! Unfortunately, I was still wearing my mask, so even if the driver could lip-read, my considered thoughts were lost.
The ‘boot’ to his rear wing would have done!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

True Pi, and she will be getting a pre-pay thingy now it is confirmed as an on-going requirement.

I accompanied my youngling on a shopping trip around town this afternoon. I took the opportunity to suffer my hair being cut. I had hoped to be allowed to grow it long, sadly though I was encouraged to adjust my hopes and to fall inline with convention. For a quiet life, I succumed.

Earlier in the day I fitted the new inlet manifold and carburettor to the moped. Tomorrow I shall make some adjustments and start the old girl up. My fingers will be crossed she ticks-over like a swiss time piece as was told in the moped forum.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Can anyone (Vot?)xplain what is the point of fining a hospital trust for bad practice, however bad it was? Surely it only means that the hospital has less money to treat local people, and therefore local people, who have already suffered medically, risk suffering more through a decrease in resources?. Fine anyone who can be proved to have harmed people, fine , sack ( and perhaps whip?) the large overpaid penpushers in charge who allowed it to happen - yes. . But what is the point of fining the trust? Or is it just a political meaningless gesture to say " We are dong something".
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

mikejee wrote: 18 May 2022 22:33 Can anyone (Vot?)xplain what is the point of fining a hospital trust for bad practice, however bad it was?….
I think/thought the same Mike - if you’re referring to the latest report re.the Shrewsbury place? Or come to that where-ever it is.
To be fair, the judge made the same comments as you (and i) thought. It’s the people who caused it that should be punished, whether it’s the clinical or ‘penpushers’ personnel - they’re the ones who should have what you recommend in the way of punishment, and never, ever work in that environment again..the bottom line it’s negligence leading to Manslaughter surely? As for condolences and sympathy after some 2 or 3 years (or more) :banghead: that’s just a sick joke!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Good morning. A very bright start here. A bit too bright too early perhaps.

After much spannering, the Buckler car made in Caversham Road in the early 1950s is scheduled for a shakedown test today, to include a picnic. It would be nice to meet up with D5 on his two wheeled sewing machine but unlikely unless it has wings.
:flying1:
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

piwacket wrote: 18 May 2022 22:55
mikejee wrote: 18 May 2022 22:33 Can anyone (Vot?)xplain what is the point of fining a hospital trust for bad practice, however bad it was?….
I think/thought the same Mike - if you’re referring to the latest report re.the Shrewsbury place? Or come to that where-ever it is.
To be fair, the judge made the same comments as you (and i) thought. It’s the people who caused it that should be punished, whether it’s the clinical or ‘penpushers’ personnel - they’re the ones who should have what you recommend in the way of punishment, and never, ever work in that environment again..the bottom line it’s negligence leading to Manslaughter surely? As for condolences and sympathy after some 2 or 3 years (or more) :banghead: that’s just a sick joke!
I've often wondered this as well, whenever any public body (or company, come to that) is fined. Also, who actually receives the proceeds and how do the wronged parties benefit?
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I agree with you Hooped. Money goes into a coffer somewhere but rarely back to the aggrieved.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

This isn’t a bad explanation. https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-i ... ts-hardest

Missing targets is the most common reason for fines - this is true in both public and private healthcare. From my reading of this quick .gloggle search, it looks as if the money goes back to the CCG. That’s for public hospital of course - I’ve not seen Private ones get the money back, but insurance will cover private hospital for claims against them for injuries to patients.

I likewise agree that fining public hospitals isn’t ideal but what other preventative sanction would be as effective?

WRT punishing those directly responsible for causing harm, aside from the usual legal redress via the Courts if a crime has been perpetrated, their own licensing/governing bodies are able to deal with that. The NMC (broadly, for nurses) and the GMC (again broadly for doctors) and various Professional bodies for what is known as Allied Healthcare Professionals e.g. Physiotherapists, Radiographers etc, can and do ‘strike off’ practitioners from the register, which ends their career. To a nurse, their PIN number - their NMC registration number - is sacrosanct.

After due investigation and hearings, the Bodies can opt to do several things -ranging from doing nothing, order supervised practice for a period of time, restrict practice to certain functions for a period of time, training and retraining, suspension for a period of time, removal of their license (striking off).

Consultants are (as a rule) insured against Mal Practice claims - commonly known self as MedMal - from patients claiming compensation for injury etc. Nurses are likewise protected through the NMC, Both have legal protection advice and support built into that cover. The cover doesn’t include breaches of waiting time, as that is not in their control, but it does cover mal practice.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, a dull and damp start to the day but allegedly getting warmer pm. Had plans for this afternoon but now the MS nurse is 'phoning me at 2.30 but I have to leave the line clear from 2 - 3 pm, just the annual catchup but a few things have happened in the twelve months since her last call so it may be a longer conversation than the usual "Is everything ok?" and when I reply that it is (because she can't do much to change things anyway!) : "good, then speak to you again in twelve months then". That's the afternoon pretty much taken care of! :whistle1:

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
What a night ! Lots (and lots and lots) of lightening but little or no thunder. Made for some very pretty skies though.
Bam, I trust your spannering went well and your car (the Buckler car made in Caversham Road in the early 1950s) withstood its shakedown. You can be sure if ever the border controls are relaxed, I'll make an attempt to visit.

Today I shall be dropping the youngling at work and then more spannering and nut tightening on the moped although Mrs D is at home coughing, sneezing and wheezing so my day will most certainly be busy.
pip pip
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Yes, quite a storm last night, if relatively short. However it just so happened that I had to go out in it to pick up a youngling from the station. Driving through a monsoon with lighting was great fun but would not want to do it every day.

Caught up with some former work colleagues on a Zoom call last night. One was on a boat off the coast of Croatia, one in her holiday apartment in Portugal and one in Derbyshire. Guess which of these had the poorest internet connection and kept freezing.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning, nice bright day! Lots of thunder and lightning last night, doesn’t look as though it rained much? Hopefully it did. CaV you say it was monsoon-like but where was that?
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 May 2022 07:40 ……private hospital for claims against them for injuries to patients.

I likewise agree that fining public hospitals isn’t ideal but what other preventative sanction would be as effective?

….WRT punishing those directly responsible for causing harm, aside from the usual legal redress via the Courts if a crime has been perpetrated, their own licensing/governing bodies are able to deal with that. The NMC (broadly, for nurses) and the GMC (again broadly for doctors) and various Professional bodies for what is known as Allied Healthcare Professionals e.g. Physiotherapists, Radiographers etc, can and do ‘strike off’ practitioners from the register, which ends their career. To a nurse, their PIN number - their NMC registration number - is sacrosanct.
If the nurses’ and consultants ‘badge of office’ is so sacrosanct then why do they run the risk of losing it :? because they’ve got the back of insurance to cover them?

I’ve never quite seen how monetary compensation can alleviate the grief caused to those left behind - yes, if maybe the person injured or killed was the main bread-winner so that’s good when it happens, but for other ‘losses’ of family members :? ‘ Here’s a few £thousand - goodbye!’ …but the memories are still there.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Morning All...just - LOP as it went manic first thing!

Nice start though, damp roads but a decent-ish drive in - got behind a large truck at end of DC, doing 4-45mph and almost hitting 50mph so not too bad but.......................a car behind them (three ahead of me) didn’t keep by doing 35-40ph but also got down to 30mph at times, and 25mph at one point, and on a straight road...................? - Thankfully they turned off at SoL!

One oddity today though - felt like was being stalked as saw 12 transit style pick-up trucks at different times / places.......................but
All the same colour / style
Al the same company

And the frightening bit - all had road work / traffic control lights / cones on the back possibly going to be set up somewhere.....................
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

C.A.Versham wrote: 19 May 2022 10:37 Yes, quite a storm last night, if relatively short. However it just so happened that I had to go out in it to pick up a youngling from the station. Driving through a monsoon with lighting was great fun but would not want to do it every day.

Caught up with some former work colleagues on a Zoom call last night. One was on a boat off the coast of Croatia, one in her holiday apartment in Portugal and one in Derbyshire. Guess which of these had the poorest internet connection and kept freezing.
Early days of having electrikery in some locations up here Cav so give them a chance to get used to it, some folk still believe that it's the work of the devil.

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

C.A.Versham wrote: 19 May 2022 10:37 Yes, quite a storm last night, if relatively short. However it just so happened that I had to go out in it to pick up a youngling from the station. Driving through a monsoon with lighting was great fun but would not want to do it every day.

Yes very heavy storm, and close - the thunder woke me up, then the lighting kept lighting the room up, then the noise of the rain was ‘loud’ so I got up for a look
Its was slightly south of us, (over the University area) as could see the lightening, and only 3-4 sec’s between ‘flash’ and thunder noise - as for the rain it was coming down so hard it was bouncing up in the road outside
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 19 May 2022 11:49 …And the frightening bit - all had road work / traffic control lights / cones on the back possibly going to be set up somewhere.....................
Maybe this….
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ts-may-20/
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Maybe they are closing it so they can change the name signs to something blander and not ~"offensive" to some idiots. That is one day to put up the barriers, A day to assemble the 3 or 4 men necessary to do the work, a day for their tea hut to be built nearby, one day waiting for the new signs to arrive , giving a good opportunity for lots of tea, a day for installing the new signs, and a day, or so, waiting for barriers to be removed. That would fit with timescale of Thames water, and the cable installation people
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

We had a great picnic trip today to our old haunt, Peel. Away from the main sand beach, in a cove, there is a lovely beach made entirely of scallop shells. In spite of the sharp shells there was a middle age lady swimming on her own in the cove.

Trucks were waiting to pick up the scallop catch to take to the nearby processing plant. Most are exported to France. There are now large sea conservation areas locally where boats are banned.

The shell photo would make an impossible jigsaw.
16529629527570.jpg
20220519_150450.jpg
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

piwacket wrote: 19 May 2022 11:40 ‘Morning, nice bright day! Lots of thunder and lightning last night, doesn’t look as though it rained much? Hopefully it did. CaV you say it was monsoon-like but where was that?
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 May 2022 07:40 ……private hospital for claims against them for injuries to patients.

….WRT punishing those directly responsible for causing harm, aside from the usual legal redress via the Courts if a crime has been perpetrated, their own licensing/governing bodies are able to deal with that. The NMC (broadly, for nurses) and the GMC (again broadly for doctors) and various Professional bodies for what is known as Allied Healthcare Professionals e.g. Physiotherapists, Radiographers etc, can and do ‘strike off’ practitioners from the register, which ends their career. To a nurse, their PIN number - their NMC registration number - is sacrosanct.
If the nurses’ and consultants ‘badge of office’ is so sacrosanct then why do they run the risk of losing it :? because they’ve got the back of insurance to cover them?

I’ve never quite seen how monetary compensation can alleviate the grief caused to those left behind - yes, if maybe the person injured or killed was the main bread-winner so that’s good when it happens, but for other ‘losses’ of family members :? ‘ Here’s a few £thousand - goodbye!’ …but the memories are still there.
They run the risk of loosing it because all medicine is risk to a greater or lesser extent, and clinicians are human, humans can be arrogant, stupid, incompetent, brilliant, inspired, make mistakes and all sorts in between - afterall Harold Shipman was the reason the CQC was set up in the first place - but the majority are caring, clever and compassionate.

Cars are insured but people don’t drive like idiots because they’re insured, do they.

That said, Nurses and doctors are more than their white coats or tunics, and we must get away from believing it’s some kind of magic shield and unexpected things nevertheless happen. Medicine is risky because every body, and I mean body and person, is different, reacts differently, heals differently etc etc. That’s why we ‘consent’ to treatment, having been advised of the risks. Even then, things can go wrong. The insurance is there to protect both the patient, and the clinician, when it does. There are patients who will make spurious claims too......

Compensation, IIRC from when I was working in Insurance, is on a sliding scale. Loss of life obviously ‘worth’ more than loss of the use of a limb, for example. The compensation is not there to pay people off so they go away and don’t bother people any more, it’s there to (depending on circumstances) pay for their ongoing care, sometimes lifelong, to reparate for a medical mistake or injury, from a post operation injury or disability, and for loss of life - all sorts. It’s not intended to replace the person, limb or ability to do something - and never can.

Compo can run into hundreds of thousands, sometimes millions, and more importantly, can and does take dangerous clinicians and practitioners out of the picture, for the future.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good evening forum,
Anti-biotics for Mrs D and a day or two off work.
Tonight I am cooking some form of stirfry with chicken.

This afternoon I reset the points and the moped was so keen to start, I swear I only touched the pedal and the old girl burst into life and settled to a calm and regular tickover. The new carbatooty doesn't have an air box like the original gurtner and so sounds a bit roary, which isn't unpleasant.
Wiring lights this evening and all set for a tour around Berkshire tomorrow.
Peace and love (not Vlad the destroyer)
X
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Do you have to get an MOT certificate D5 ?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 May 2022 16:33 They run the risk of loosing it because all medicine is risk to a greater or lesser extent, and clinicians are human,……
Thanks VoT :)
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

maggieaitch wrote: 19 May 2022 19:22 Do you have to get an MOT certificate D5 ?
Hopefully not Maggie, those dodgy knees of his will fail for sure! :whistle1:

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

maggieaitch wrote: 19 May 2022 19:22 Do you have to get an MOT certificate D5 ?
No maggieaitch it is too old.

Return to “Chatty Person”