Chat Thread

General chat forum
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Re: Chat Thread

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
yes damp and far too early, however us lowly staff now are forced to use germ-ridden busses to get to the factory to work for the man, and then of course the germ-ridden journey home again just so the highly-ups can gaze out onto an almost empty car park and bathe in the knowledge they've restored the "them & us" boundaries. My knee won't last as long during the day because of the additional walking, waiting and standing, on the infernal germ-ridden and damnable conveyancing machine. Of course that is of no concern of theirs and something I must deal with, for if they got a hint of that, they'd move to the second phase of their dastardly plan and try to put me on that slippery slope that is - reduced hours. From there, the only way is out. Paranoia? Me? pfft they can't rattle me, I see what they're doing. I'll tell you, there has been the same blue car parked outside our house all night and you can't get better proof than that, they're up to something. I can even predict the colour of the bus I will take - purple and if it is purple, that will be the irrefutable proof.
:soapbox:
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, a sup of rain has fallen overnight and it's still drizzly now. Yesterday was a lovely warm and sunny day and down at t'mill there were plenty of punters attending the artisan market so a busy day. Next weekend we have Etwall Well Dressings on Saturday and Heage Windmill on Sunday so another busy weekend ahead. One of our club members is coming later to bring a Ruston engine that needs sorting, I'm buying a Blow Engineering riddler from him so he may bring that as well. Otherwise nothing much happening.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Morning All

LOP as meeting first thing

Wet start to the day and didn’t it rain yesterday
Drive in was good though, a little busy traffic wise but that appears to be the thing on Mondays now

Weekend was quiet, quiz down pub on Fridays
Shopping around and about Saturday (and got caught in some traffic) pottering later, then a band in pub Saturday evening
Sunday did bugger all except relaxed as rain stopped planned play
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) sort of raining, but predicted to be nicer this afternoon.

D5 - vivid imagining. But yes, agree about the ‘people carriers’ - I wonder if the highly-ups and the Councillors practice what they preach - or are their jobs too important to be hanging about waiting and walking?
Bam wrote: 16 May 2022 06:52 Re the clocks. Piwacket. It is easy to switch the chimes off and on on the wind up 8 day clock in the lounge. The cuckoo is tucked away in a spare room/office so no problem and the bird could be silenced by simply not winding up the chime weight every day.
…ah but do they tick-tock’
There's no such thing as a free lunch
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

windrush wrote: 16 May 2022 09:06 Morning all, a sup of rain has fallen overnight and it's still drizzly now. Yesterday was a lovely warm and sunny day and down at t'mill there were plenty of punters attending the artisan market so a busy day. Next weekend we have Etwall Well Dressings on Saturday and Heage Windmill on Sunday so another busy weekend ahead. One of our club members is coming later to bring a Ruston engine that needs sorting, I'm buying a Blow Engineering riddler from him so he may bring that as well. Otherwise nothing much happening.

Pete.
Not much happening? A hive of activity compared to my day of domestic chores. And what on earth is a Blow Engineering Riddler? It's a puzzler to me.

Watched the TV coverage of the Platinum Jubilee Horse Show last night. Some impressive acts and light touches but the editing, celebrity interviews and virtue signalling ad breaks made it all rather disjointed. Not ITV's finest hour.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

C.A.Versham wrote: 16 May 2022 11:47
windrush wrote: 16 May 2022 09:06 Morning all, a sup of rain has fallen overnight and it's still drizzly now. Yesterday was a lovely warm and sunny day and down at t'mill there were plenty of punters attending the artisan market so a busy day. Next weekend we have Etwall Well Dressings on Saturday and Heage Windmill on Sunday so another busy weekend ahead. One of our club members is coming later to bring a Ruston engine that needs sorting, I'm buying a Blow Engineering riddler from him so he may bring that as well. Otherwise nothing much happening.

Pete.
Not much happening? A hive of activity compared to my day of domestic chores. And what on earth is a Blow Engineering Riddler? It's a puzzler to me.

Watched the TV coverage of the Platinum Jubilee Horse Show last night. Some impressive acts and light touches but the editing, celebrity interviews and virtue signalling ad breaks made it all rather disjointed. Not ITV's finest hour.
J.J Blow were an engineering firm in Chesterfield, they produced many items for agricultural use such as dairy equipment, powered brush cleaners, riddlers and other similar items. Later they manufactured go-karts, their site was cleared a few years ago and a Safeway (now Morrisons) store built on it.

Pete.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We missed the first half but thoroughly enjoyed what we saw,it was thrilling, the horses, the military bands, Royal Marines drummers etc and lovely to see HM laughing and really enjoying herself. I agree it would have been better without the ad breaks but they gave us a chance to talk about what we’d seen. I did get a bit cross when the presenters would keep talking over the action, I wanted to hear the drumming not them talking. Maybe we were lucky because we didn’t see any celebrity interviews and we missed Gregory Porter singing which was a bonus.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good afternoon forum,
Got email from ceo secretary and she says "please copy to staff and if any staff don't have access please run through contents in your regular team meeting or gathering" ummm I am so tempted to respond and let her know only managers get meetings and that we only ever had 3 regular team meetings then they were stopped because staff asked too many questions and started to voice their own opinions.
:roflol3:
Bless her, I'm sure she means well.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I am, of course, on cooking duties - Chicken & Chorizo Paella for supper.
Just trying to get the rice to soak-up the stock - it is resisting - it has been simmering for half an hour now and still chalky.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Are you using paella rice D5?
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

lizwing wrote: 16 May 2022 19:48 Are you using paella rice D5?
My thought too, Liz.

D5, best to continue to boil not simmer? I add ladle of boiling water as the precious ladle full is absorbed. That way the overall heat isn’t lost by adding sub-boiling liquid.

Are you stirring constantly, keeping the rice moving?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

That’s risotto VoT, with paella you add all the stock and simmer for 20 minutes, only stirring occasionally. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chi ... izo-paella This is the recipe I use.
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Yes paella rice but all stock in at once and stirring only ocaisionally whilst simmering
Eventually cooked though.
Some left over and decanted to an ex-chinese plastic container - I shall take it to the factory for my lunch tomorrow.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I made a mock paella last week with long grain mixed with wild rice with a teaspoon of turmeric to suggest saffron. Cooked until water absorbed then added to a large frying pan of fried onions, garlic, red peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Added home made chicken stock and a generous glassful of sherry, a dash of red wine, a generous handful or two of North Atlantic prawns and cooked chicken. Fresh sage, and pepper. Simmered it a bit longer and served.

PS forgot that I added peas and served with slices of lemon.

It was a question of using what was at hand but we so enjoyed that I am going to replicate it another time.
Last edited by Bam on 17 May 2022 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

lizwing wrote: 16 May 2022 20:39 That’s risotto VoT, with paella you add all the stock and simmer for 20 minutes, only stirring occasionally. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chi ... izo-paella This is the recipe I use.
Ooo,Liz, I’ve never cooked it that way. It’s too easy to flood the rice and over cook it, so I’ve always done it slowly. Takes me 45 minutes, bit by bit. It’s how I was shown in Spain. It’s dry, not sloppy like risotto, so I must be doing it right for me. The Spaniards fight over who gets the crusty bits at the bottom, but they just seem burned to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mind you, I add a Parmesan rind too, so I’m well off piste there :roflol3:

I use (what is now the last of my stash) saffron strands soaked in good veg stock, a shake of pimento piquante, pre-cooked chicken wings, sliced chorizo - the spicy one- squid rings and baby squids, extra large prawns in the paella itself, shell on prawns to decorate, lemon wedges to serve, a few peas but not many. I use arobrito rice and the Parmesan crust makes it creamier.

The youngest Voice asked a friend to bring me back an enormous wedge of Parmesan last week, from their trip home to Italy. I’ve broken off a tiny corner just to taste but OMG - the flavour is waaaaay superior to anything I’ve had before. Think he said it was €18. Bargain.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I dislike parmesan cheese.
night night
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good Morrow All

Slightly LOP as no one to unlock this morning due to one off (who is usually very early) and lack of communication between others, then had a quick job to do that thought I would have done it easily if in ‘my normal’ time..................Hey Ho!

Nice start to the day, dry and mild with a bit of sun

Drive in was very good, no stupidity etc - one ‘thought provoking’ though
Saw a car I regularly see (a driver who used to drive like a loony but has slowed / steadied recently) and today he turned off left at the of the DC, nothing odd about that but................I realised I’ve seen him turnoff at various palaces in the mornings, the list goes - left at end of DC / left at W’Monument / left towards Old Basing / first left at the Ringway roundabout (down towards the industrial estates) or second left at same roundabout (toward M3)
I know all those roads so do wonder where his destination is and presume somewhere between Old Basing and Hook and he takes differing routes to get there
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, not a bad one outside at present. Going out after dinner visiting our Chairman's farm on the Tissington estate to look at some of his large non portable engines that he is firing up for the first time this year. Otherwise just a few small jobs to do if I find the time to fit them in after the 'fun' of getting Mrs W from bed to wheelchair after the carers have assembled her for me! :-)

Pete.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

D5equj5 wrote: 16 May 2022 08:29 Good morning forum,
yes damp and far too early, however us lowly staff now are forced to use germ-ridden busses to get to the factory to work for the man, and then of course the germ-ridden journey home again just so the highly-ups can gaze out onto an almost empty car park and bathe in the knowledge they've restored the "them & us" boundaries.
Get one of your colleagues to distract the man from his car park gazing (a suspected overspend on the quill pen budget ought to do the trick) whilst you sneak out and improve the view by letting his tyres down. :-)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) lovely day - but with the inevitable chilly breeze.
Nothjng much planned for today, so just maybe get to sit in the garden later, and hope the wind will change direction.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

We need something to just go over the carpets as a quick ‘clean-up’ in between a proper vacuum clean. Bits walked in from the garden - by us and the cats! Don’t want the little hand-held type although one that converts to that maybe useful.

Must be lightweight as we both have back troubles! And not expensive

I’ve looked at many models, but wondered if anyone has one that they could recommend?
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

@Oldman: When I did a daily commute to Southampton for two years (a round trip of over 160 miles), I had a variety of routes, just to ease the boredom that inevitably occurs with repeatedly doing a longish journey 5 days a week. I also liked to be familiar with the options just in case of major hold-ups. It didn't help one day, though, when I ground to a halt on the M27. I put the radio on to hear the traffic report, only to discover that a petrol tanker had overturned in the village where the office was based. Undeterred, I carried on, only to receive a phone call to tell me the tanker had ended up in our car park, upside down!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

BY Paulo Coelho
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

When I was a kid everyone seemed to have one of these. I think they were then called Bex Bissell or Bix Bissell. Very good on smooth floors. Not much good on carpets, when the Hoover was dragged out.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Ah no thanks Liz- I remembered those like Bam says, I think maybe Eubank? Too hard to push and pull over carpets.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Pi - We have one of these - https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Kitchen/F ... T/p/850252 - it's really light and easy to use plus it folds for easy storage. Having the two batteries means you can leave one on charge and swap them really quickly when the battery goes flat.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Were lucky as have two Dyson cordless units, one small which is great for odds-n-ends and the big one for a main clean about - that one will do all the house on one charge, it then goes back on once finished with
Also means I don't know much about any others to recommend - sorry
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Hooped wrote: 17 May 2022 13:09 @Oldman: When I did a daily commute to Southampton for two years (a round trip of over 160 miles), I had a variety of routes, just to ease the boredom that inevitably occurs with repeatedly doing a longish journey 5 days a week. I also liked to be familiar with the options just in case of major hold-ups. It didn't help one day, though, when I ground to a halt on the M27. I put the radio on to hear the traffic report, only to discover that a petrol tanker had overturned in the village where the office was based. Undeterred, I carried on, only to receive a phone call to tell me the tanker had ended up in our car park, upside down!
Oops on that one

I’m guessing it’s what this other guy does but I do wonder if worth it as although all those routes are about the same distance to a given point (not sure if that’s where he ends up though) knowing the roads some of them can be quite slow if traffic is even a ‘little’ bad

I have other routes I can use, but as they are about the same distance, they take a bit longer so I only use them for emergencies - like last week when the A33 was closed one evening and I went towards the Bramley route
My workmate went A30 and across country as he lives in Wokingham
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

piwacket wrote: 17 May 2022 14:17

Ah no thanks Liz- I remembered those like Bam says, I think maybe Eubank? Too hard to push and pull over carpets.
Ah yes Pi. I think the older ones were Ewbank and Bissell came later. Both are still made.

In more recent years electric cleaners sold on power. Our Panasonics boast in huge letters 1,600 watts and 1,800 watts. One house clean is an entire electricity bill.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Our Panasonic upright is 2000w but sadly it’s on the blink and can’t be bought now. I prefer an upright cleaner and also one with bags but it seems almost impossible to buy a bagged one and the prices are outrageous. We have a Henry upstairs and a Vaxx which we rarely use, the Panasonic is the best of them all.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 17 May 2022 14:52 Pi - We have one of these - https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Kitchen/F ... T/p/850252 -
Thanks - but rather more expensive than we’d thought of paying :) we have the Shark ‘proper’ vacuum which is very good
lizwing wrote: 17 May 2022 16:59 Our Panasonic upright is 2000w but sadly it’s on the blink and can’t be bought now. I prefer an upright cleaner and also one with bags but it seems almost impossible to buy a bagged one and the prices are outrageous. We have a Henry upstairs and a Vaxx which we rarely use, the Panasonic is the best of them all.
I had a Panasonic way back, and yes it was good. I borrowed a neighbours Henry for a trial run when looking for another - drove me ‘up the wall’ - kept catching on every bit of furniture and falling over!
OLDMAN wrote: 17 May 2022 15:40 Were lucky as have two Dyson cordless units, one small which is great for odds-n-ends and the big one for a main clean…..
When late OH came here, he insisted on buying a Dyson - he had to use it as I could barely move it! Mind you he was built like you - but when he’d passed on I gave it to my sister, who’s OH does the ‘hoovering’ - so No I certainly wouldn’t want another Dyson.

I really only want something that will pick up the bits of leaves, crumbs etc that if the room wasn’t so big, could be swept up with a dust-pan and brush.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

We’ve got a cordless Vax that’s very light and does the job very quickly …JL do them

https://www.vax.co.uk/onepwr-blade-4-va ... sMQAvD_BwE
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 17 May 2022 18:32 We’ve got a cordless Vax that’s very light and does the job very quickly …JL do them

https://www.vax.co.uk/onepwr-blade-4-va ... sMQAvD_BwE
Thanks Mayfield.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

That’s why I though a carpet sweeper would work Pi, in fact I might get one myself 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 17 May 2022 19:25 That’s why I though a carpet sweeper would work Pi, in fact I might get one myself 😊
What are you referring to Liz? the Henry?

I’ve just been looking at the Bissel range, they seem to be what I’m looking for and around or less than £50!
https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/sweepers
The first one sounds the best, but seems to be unavailable everywhere - except Argos who have it at a much higher price :(

Return to “Chatty Person”