Chat Thread

General chat forum
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Chat Thread

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Hooped wrote: 13 May 2022 18:43
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 13 May 2022 10:10 Greetings Earthlings. I’d love the chance to work work - but......pet hate of the day? Jobs advertised as remote/hybrid/home based or WFH then when you ask for more detail on that, you find out that meetings take place in Manchester, Birmingham and London plus other cities, and you’re expected to attend.....

No mention of that in the advert of course 🙄. Pffft, bummer.
Just before I left my final place of employment, my successor and I had to recruit her successor. It was interesting that some people expected to be able to WFH on a permanent basis and once they heard that there would be occasional meetings around the UK, they weren't willing to be put forward. Others regarded meeting people and travelling as something they would enjoy. We did, at least, make it clear in the advert that occasional travel would be required.
I can understand that and, in the past, travel might have suited me. I expect an advert to honestly reflect the place (location) of work. If it’s hybrid, say so and say where the office is based. If there’s travel to places like Manchester, Birmingham, say so. An honest applicant won’t commit to something they cannot deliver or do not want to deliver and it’s a waste of everyone’s time to apply for something only to find out way down the line, it’s not possible. That’s fair enough isn't it. There are so many different opportunities to the work pattern now, there’s something for everyone. My circumstances have changed such that WFH/remote/home based/hybrid, is now what I’m looking for.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Hooped, sorry to hear your ankle is to be a long job but good that you do not have to succumb to the knife.

You will have to resign yourself to days in a deck chair, drinking Pina Coladas.
8)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 13 May 2022 18:01 I managed to get quite a few pots filled but it wasn’t a pleasant experience because the wind was so strong and cold,…
…well it did get to 21/22C here, and although the wind was gusty it wasn’t as cold as yesterday. We sat for a while with a cuppa, but no it wasn’t relaxing, sun-bathing weather.
Hooped wrote: 13 May 2022 18:43 In other news, I have now been advised that my ankle will not require an operation, but I need to wear the damned boot for another four weeks. The surgeon who called me said I should exercise my ankle with forward and backward movements for ten minutes, three times a day….
So some good news! And it’s obviously on the mend.. yes those exercises sound more sensible and realistic… have you told the Dogs to watch the calendar? :))
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

@VoT - absolutely, job interviews are a two way process, both parties should try to impress each other and be honest in the process.

@Pi - I've not plucked up the courage to tell the dogs yet!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

You were lucky in the Costa Del Reading Pi, it was sunny but only about 17° here 🥶
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, a dry but chilly start to the weekend but rain expected at some times. Nothing exciting happening today, we should be exhibiting at Cromford Mill tomorrow and then the next few weekends are taken up with various events around the country if I can manage it healthwise.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Good morning. Dry, bright and, at last, almost nil wind. Dumped grass cuttings at the "amenity" site for recycling and back before the roads close for the Manx International Car Rally. More work in the garden and in the garage today. Have a nice weekend everyone.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The wind has dropped!! Sunny and 16° at the moment 😎
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) sort of sunny, chilly start, but yay! The wind has dropped here too.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
phew it's a warm one today.
The factory was busy. A couple had left their children at the factory whilst they went off shopping and seemed surprised they were not there when they returned :shrug1: They didn't seem too worried either and just said "perhaps they went home"
Various drug deals and a crack smoking gaggle out back in full view of the factory windows. It is quite interesting to watch if you have nothing to do in town one day. I should give out tickets :shrug1:
The police seem happy to let them get on with it with impunity. :shrug1: Gets a bit ordid when they drop their trousers or what-have-you, when trying to find a half decent vein ... sometimes they have one or two mates helping them look. :roll:
Ah well, it all helps the world go around I suppose. Natural selection wins the day.
Quick bacon sarnie and off to Loverock Road to see if they'll allow me to collect my parcel, this could be the vital moped part ... :beg1:
pip pip
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Lovely day now, which is fortunate as I have gardening to do…an escape from The Cup Final and Eurovision ( trust us to have a half decent chance the year everyone will be voting for Ukraine 🙄 )
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Phew yes, warm! Indoor/outdoor thermometer says 28C! Been planting out in various pots - don't know about Liz - but this sudden warm spell makes it hard work :whistle1: time for a cuppa…
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I had a break from it today Pi, I washed my hair, put some washing on the line and then sat in the garden reading, it was very pleasant and not too warm. Tomorrow we’re going along to our neighbours for Sunday lunch with some other friends, it should be a good evening.
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

lizwing wrote: 14 May 2022 18:36 I had a break from it today Pi, I washed my hair, put some washing on the line and then sat in the garden reading, it was very pleasant and not too warm. Tomorrow we’re going along to our neighbours for Sunday lunch with some other friends, it should be a good evening.
That sounds like my sort of ‘lunch’ Liz 😀
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
A late rise for me. I was left to dream a little longer this morning.
Ground seems dry, weather looks to be bright, temperature in our bathroom is above zero - it'll be a good day for fitting the new manifold and carburettor to the moped. Postie let me have the manifold and last night I Dremelled nasty casting marks and steps and polished it's bore so as to be lovely and smooth for the fuel mixture to just glide easily into the cylinder and oblivion. 49cc's need all the help they can get.
Just taking the youngling to his work and then out with my spanner
pip pip
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) change of weather today - hope it doesn’t rain on your parade D5! Are you working under cover?
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

piwacket wrote: 15 May 2022 11:38 ‘Morning :) change of weather today - hope it doesn’t rain on your parade D5! Are you working under cover?
Sadly not under cover Pi if a shower gets too heavy, I pull a tarpauling over the bike and tools then go inside for a cuppa until it passes.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Raining here in West Sussex. Yesterday was glorious, we spent several hours in the garden doing that "relaxing" thing that OM often mentions. Came indoors just in time to watch the FA Cup final.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Eurovision- haven’t watched it for years, but thought I’d just have a look at the Ukraine and UK entries … umm :? :help3:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I think the Ukraine win was predictable Pi, people weren’t voting for the song but for the Ukrainian people. Likewise haven’t watched it for years.
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Large looking shower so taking a break from nut tightening spanner work and cleaning the kitchen
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Watched the Eurovision Song Contest (or, given the Spanish entry, Eurovision Thong Contest) last night. Our chap did very well and we nearly fell of our chairs when France awarded us 12 points! Relations must be improving.

Quite a lot of maudling ballads this year plus the usual oddity. Many were instantly forgettable.

Not to be taken too seriously and I wonder if the BBC will worry if they have to pay to stage it next year.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Who on earth ordered this rain ?!?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 15 May 2022 13:39 Who on earth ordered this rain ?!?
I did warn you!
lizwing wrote: 15 May 2022 12:16 I think the Ukraine win was predictable Pi, people weren’t voting for the song but for the Ukrainian people. Likewise haven’t watched it for years.
Oh yes, I realise that, which is what makes such a nonsense of it every year - all so political.
C.A.Versham wrote: 15 May 2022 13:29 Quite a lot of maudling ballads this year plus the usual oddity. Many were instantly forgettable.

Not to be taken too seriously and I wonder if the BBC will worry if they have to pay to stage it next year.
Why should we pay to have it - we came 2nd?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Only because Ukraine might not be in a position to host it next year.

The Eurovision Song Contest is funded by member nations with those who get an automatic place in the final contributing the most. For why I am not sure as it cheeses off the other countries. Germany came bottom this year and are one of the major funders, as is the UK.

However the technical challenges of hosting it in terms of staging, facilities, media coverage, security, etc, etc place a heavy burden on the host country and its broadcaster. Imagine the embarrassment to the BBC if a huge audience across Europe witness a technical failure in the live broadcast.

Some host countries have clearly used the programme to include travelogues to entice tourists to visit.

Ukraine have said that they hope to host it but who knows.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I think this spanner day is a wash-out. <sigh>
Kitchens looking nice though.
Elder youngling came round and took Colin (no longer really a puppy) out for a long walk.
Mrs D. is at Windsor stewarding or something. She'll be worn-out when she gets home so I'll be on cooking duties again
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

I've only ever watched Eurovision a few times - 1974 and a couple of times in the '90s. I did see the last 4 songs last night, though, and the voting which I found interesting. Years ago, the whole thing was decided by the panels in each country, but more recently, the public has been able to participate and now contributes 50% of the total vote. Last night, the panels put the UK at the top, but the public voted overwhelmingly for Ukraine - including the UK public. Like CAV, we were astonished when France gave the UK 12 points!

Every year, we hear that the voting is "political," but no-one ever thinks about the possibility that people vote for songs that have a similar cultural sound to their own. For years, the UK has chosen a variety of unknown, unsuitable or long-past-their-best performers to sing songs written by people who are totally wrong for Eurovision (Andrew Lloyd Webber for example, was never going to write a Eurovision winner). Claiming it's all political has been a convenient excuse for the BBC's incompetence in selecting singers and writers. This year has proved that a bit of innovation will win the votes. It will all be for nothing if they choose something next year which sounds as if were written a quarter of a century ago. It is ironic, of course, that the mass vote for Ukraine was simply the most political vote in Eurovision's history, but anything else would have been a massive disappointment.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Glad Ukraine won the singing/ shouting competition. I don't bother with it. Most of the music is a kaleidoscope from yesteryear.

All day, no activity on RF. I thought you were all sunbathing. Then saw the last post was a year or two back and I had been automatically logged out. I went to log in but found the boxes already correctly filled just awaiting a button push, so it could not have been a security check.

I cut the escellonia hedge today. Spell check says I mean "escalating scallops". Hedge is 35ft long, 7 ft high and 4 ft deep. P H E W.

I only have electric trimmers, one I bought and three from the re-use centre. The rain was on and off all the time so I had lots of breaks and avoided electrocution.

Some of the day was sorting out 2 stroke motorcycle parts to gift to a guy restoring a 1954 Fanny Barnett at the Museum of Transport and I will take them over on Tuesday and hopefully get a free coffee and look around.

Rest of the day was finishing some re-wiring of the old car (made in Reading).

More recently it has been pleasantly sunny.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Shheeesh Bam I'm jealous of your pleasant weather and your 2-stroke parts gift, your kaleidoscope, scallops and your old car (made in Reading).
Have you got anything else?
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

D5equj5 wrote: 15 May 2022 18:18 Shheeesh Bam I'm jealous of your pleasant weather and your 2-stroke parts gift, your kaleidoscope, scallops and your old car (made in Reading).
Have you got anything else?
I have no more interesting vehicles D5. Need a bigger garage. We do gave a couple of proper clocks in everyday use. One a wind up with chimes and the other a Cuckoo clock operated by weights on chains.
16169289791550.jpg
16169290203710.jpg
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 15 May 2022 19:03 We do gave a couple of proper clocks in everyday use. One a wind up with chimes and the other a Cuckoo clock operated by weights on chains.
Lovely looking timepieces Bam, but not for me - I can’t abide clocks that make a noise - especially every hour or more aargh!

Eurovision - no more a ‘song’ contest than … well ~I don’t know what. Why is it still held? It’s just a farce - highly entertaining when Terry Wogan did the commentary - but that’s all. What’s it’s purpose, other than to show off the lighting/staging versatility of the backstage crew. :shrug1:
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Why is it still held? Because it's incredibly popular, I suppose.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I never watch the contest and can’t see the attraction. However lots of people enjoy it. Therefore I defend their right to have it.
I remember Ireland being worried a few years ago after a serial winning streak as the winning country hosts the show and it ran the risk of bankrupting the broadcaster.
It’s become a monster compared to the original concept
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Very nice too Bam thank you.
I have a couple of clocks but no photos, I must take some and show them on here.

Work tomorrow.
Hope for a fine and dry Wednesday.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Good day. A damp start here but saves watering.

Re the clocks. Piwacket. It is easy to switch the chimes off and on on the wind up 8 day clock in the lounge. The cuckoo is tucked away in a spare room/office so no problem and the bird could be silenced by simply not winding up the chime weight every day.

Return to “Chatty Person”