Chat Thread

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Re: Chat Thread

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 11 May 2022 10:26 Thanks Oldman on the Buell info. At the event it was described as a Harley Special, which I suppose it is.

You are an encyclopedia of bikes, so are you over for the TT this year? The circuit is all dressed up with, signs, straw bales, marshalls huts, Portaloos (most of which have already blown flat) and Grandstands etc.

Already a worrying number of bikes testing the circuit including a lot coming off the ferry and straight onto the course racing the wrong way round, since the signage is still covered with sacks.
Keep saying must do the TT one day, then alas something else comes up / gets in the way...........one day!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

OLDMAN wrote: 11 May 2022 12:44
Keep saying must do the TT one day, then alas something else comes up / gets in the way...........one day!
The ITV coverage is the next best thing and a lot more comfortable. There is also to be a dedicated TT Races TV Channel this year for the super keen. Every practice heat and every race.

If you were to come, Oldman, what would you ride over on?
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

piwacket wrote: 11 May 2022 11:45
OLDMAN wrote: 11 May 2022 08:53 Not surprising as they where all told it was being sold off for development so many moved out, then that all stopped so annoyed those that did move
The girls who own Grumpy Goat moved out and are now in smelly alley, but definitely not happy when they found out they didn’t have to!
I had the same when my business was at 2 Gun Street, given 3 months notice to quit as Morlands brewery were going to develop the pub next door and ours - and it’s all still there!
Back in 1999 the garage my boss rented for 30 years from a local mill for his haulage business was due for demolition as the mill was being re-developed for housing. Like several other tennants with offices etc there he was given a month to find another premises which luckily he found in a town six miles away, I went past the mill recently and apart from slowly decaying the mill and garage are still just as they were 23 years ago. :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 11 May 2022 13:15 Back in 1999 the garage my boss rented for 30 years from a local mill for his haulage business was due for demolition as the mill was being re-developed for housing. Like several other tennants with offices etc there he was given a month to find another premises which luckily he found in a town six miles away, I went past the mill recently and apart from slowly decaying the mill and garage are still just as they were 23 years ago. :?

Pete.
We also found other premises, which turned out to be a good move thankfully. But it was a very worrying couple of months!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 11 May 2022 13:13
OLDMAN wrote: 11 May 2022 12:44
The ITV coverage is the next best thing and a lot more comfortable. There is also to be a dedicated TT Races TV Channel this year for the super keen. Every practice heat and every race.

If you were to come, Oldman, what would you ride over on?
I usually watch / record all on TV

As for a bike it would have to be my Kwak - only one I have!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

My wife and I were Marshalls for many years. We were Radio Comms before the days of mobile phones. The signal had to go to Snaefell summit on VHF then be transverted to UHF and down to Grandstand Control.

Lezayre and Quarry bends could not get the signal south to Snaefell, so the signal was directed north to my house, where we had a relay in the boiler house and an aerial with a good site of Snaefell. There was a land line system but the phones were too far apart and speed is the essence in an emergency..
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good Morning to All

Nice start and very lovely now

Drive in was good / clear and relaxed - did see one ‘regular speeder’ but he drove very sedately, maybe had a tug or warning.............

However an oddity at the start - as I pulled away a traffic car came cruising slowly along the other way, I followed them around the corner only to have another one come slowly towards me along St Peters Rd, as they did so the first one stuck blues on and shot off, eventually off towards Wokingham
One thing I noticed was the two offices in both cars scanning all the houses / cars etc as they passed them?
I now there is a stop-and-search order in place over Whitley but we are quite a way from that, maybe linked or something else going on
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 11 May 2022 15:29 My wife and I were Marshalls for many years. We were Radio Comms before the days of mobile phones. The signal had to go to Snaefell summit on VHF then be transverted to UHF and down to Grandstand Control.

Lezayre and Quarry bends could not get the signal south to Snaefell, so the signal was directed north to my house, where we had a relay in the boiler house and an aerial with a good site of Snaefell. There was a land line system but the phones were too far apart and speed is the essence in an emergency..
When I was 14 a friend of my father asked if I wanted (was allowed) to join him at a car trials meeting so I went
The second one I got asked would I marshal on a ‘gate’ and did so, and at other meetings -many where MG owners club ones
Then got asked would I be happy doing a marshalling / safety course so at 16 I was a registered marshal for motoring events and went on a few!
I then did track side / crowd control at Blackbushe Drag Racing where I joined the NDRC along with organising a custom show there via a custom car club I was in
We also went for the weekend and helped set up / tear down - did the same at Radlett aerodrome when they held a meeting over there and I ended up as one of the lead set-up organisers!
Then got more into bikes so marshalled at a few trials and club meetings - did car / bike track days at Goodwood and even had a go on the track on bikes and cars on different occasions
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
The weather looks to be kinder today.
I am off to the factory for the day and half the night.
Colin (no longer really a puppy) will be left in-charge of the cats and the house.
Another day, another peanut, head down and keeping going until the weekend and moped time. I had an email from the people in the Netherlands who are sending me one of their finest intake manifolds - they've posted it.
I got a bottle of Wynn's Dry Fuel water dispersant - it says one bottle (325ml) per tank of fuel ... a car has an average tank of 70L ? whereas the moped tank is just over a gallon, say a gallon and a quarter. So I need to put in n x mills into the moped tank? It is too early for me for simple maths. I think it needs me to use around 18ml for my tank of fuel
Hey Ho
pip pip
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, a bright start to the day but turned very dull and cloudy now. Awaiting the carer's arrival and then a few chores to sort out, a few packages expected from various quarters. Builder busy next door knocking the place about, I'm guessing that by the amount of noise he makes he probably had a tin drum as a kid?

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) nice bright sunny day, the rain didn’t come to much yesterday in actual quantity of wet stuff, so more watering this evening
windrush wrote: 12 May 2022 10:11 Builder busy next door knocking the place about, I'm guessing that by the amount of noise he makes he probably had a tin drum as a kid?
Pete.
With three immediate neighbours having building work done, I’d say they’re all the same! But more Ringo Starr than Gene Krupa!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We were expecting a nice warm sunny day but it’s overcast, windy and cool, disappointing as I’m planning to do my pots. It’s so much nicer working on them in sunshine than shivering in a jacket.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Greetings Earthlings. Bit of a meh day today. Where’s the sun gone? No luck finding a job yet but must persevere I suppose. If it’s any consolation Liz, I’ve a friend in Gran Canaria at the moment, and the weathers not looking all that there today either.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 12 May 2022 11:47 We were expecting a nice warm sunny day but it’s overcast, windy and cool, disappointing as I’m planning to do my pots. It’s so much nicer working on them in sunshine than shivering in a jacket.
Quite pleasant here, except for a wind with a chilly edge to it.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’ve managed to do all the pots and window boxes at the front but I had to come in because there was a gale force wind and it was so blooming cold. The rest will have to wait until it’s warmed up a bit. Only about 13° here Pi and in London our son’s heating came on this morning !
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 12 May 2022 17:06 I’ve managed to do all the pots and window boxes at the front but I had to come in because there was a gale force wind and it was so blooming cold. The rest will have to wait until it’s warmed up a bit. Only about 13° here Pi and in London our son’s heating came on this morning !
It was a bit warmer here - probably 15/16C and our rear garden is very sheltered being slightly lower than the house with fences and hedges all round - but at house level when the wind gusted it had a very chilly edge.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

If only this blasted wind would drop it would be ok.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 12 May 2022 19:36 If only this blasted wind would drop it would be ok.
Just looked at the Met Office site - the wind is coming from WSW so it’s surprisingly cold - tomorrow apparently 21C!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

lizwing wrote: 12 May 2022 17:06 I’ve managed to do all the pots and window boxes at the front but I had to come in because there was a gale force wind and it was so blooming cold. The rest will have to wait until it’s warmed up a bit. Only about 13° here Pi and in London our son’s heating came on this morning !
Our heating is on low anyway from 7am to 9.30 and then from 3.30 until 10.30 pm, keeps the place aired nicely until the warmer weather arrives. Brightened up here mid afternoon, a cool breeze but then it's very rare that we have no wind at all.

Pete.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The high tomorrow is between 16° and 18° and in the wind, which will be moderate, feels like a degree less, so I don’t need to get the sun cream out 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good evening forum,
Tiring day at the factory.
Asked why I took too long delivering to one of our outlying branches. :roll:
Told there's an email going round telling factory staff they are not to use the factory carpark from Monday. No one knows why, as it only me and one other who use it. :roll: So the moped now becomes rather urgent ... I am assuming I'll be allowed to chain it to the bike racks although half expect to be told that too is off limits once it is realised that I'm using it. Micro management at work.
Apparently traveller kids were causing a nuisance at our Palmer branch last week and the rozzers had to be called. :shrug1:
Every day is a beautiful day
Sleep soundly
x
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

When male kids (goats) cause problems they castrate them :whistle1:
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Thank you mikejee you are of course right
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good Morning One and All

Another nice start weather wise

Drive in was odd - a good clear / quiet run but one numpty..............
Caught two vehicles on the DC one passing the other, got behind the passer and slowed to 45mph (no idea what the L1 car was doing!) - problem then was the L2 vehicle carried on / didn’t move over even though nothing ahead, and still struggling with 45mph on the slight uphill section so I moved left / flashed
No reaction so passed on inside - gave a ‘little wave’ as I did so, and watched a few others who had caught up do the same!
No you may ask what was odd about it - well the vehicle in L2 was a large artic truck / trailer - and all this was about 3 or so miles from the end on the DC so even if turning right no need to be in that lane so early, and could have given an indication if doing so when flashed etc!
Oh and did get a brief look as I went off down the SC - they ‘didn’t’ turn right.............w*****

I think Mr Stobart needs to educate at least one of his drivers!
Annoyingly my dash cam wasn’t on as I forgot
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Good morning forum,
A factory day for me. Yay.
Chop chop busy busy work work bang bang
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

inlet manifold.png
inlet manifold.png (13.63 KiB) Viewed 523 times
The time seems rather optimistic but I'll try to stay awake
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

D5equj5 wrote: 13 May 2022 08:32 Good morning forum,
A factory day for me. Yay.
Chop chop busy busy work work bang bang
Greetings Earthlings. I’d love the chance to work work - but......pet hate of the day? Jobs advertised as remote/hybrid/home based or WFH then when you ask for more detail on that, you find out that meetings take place in Manchester, Birmingham and London plus other cities, and you’re expected to attend.....

No mention of that in the advert of course 🙄. Pffft, bummer.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Morning all, another dull and chilly one but it may improve before nightfall. Fighting a losing battle with an ancient laptop, methinks that will be bin fodder before much longer. Otherwise a few jobs to do after the two youngest carer's (Emily and Jess) have assembled Mrs W and changed her bedding, when they have departed I will then attempt to get her from bed to wheelchair and feed her some fish 'Penguin Like' for dinner. :-)

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

‘Morning :) sunshine now breaking through, but was a chilly early morning, and the inevitable gusty wind blowing.

D5 - surely the Post office doesn’t deliver at 11pm?.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Windy is your laptop is playing up or dies, don’t forget my offer to do any transcribing for you is always there. Be it sending me something handwritten through the post, and then I email you back completed document or via some other method. Ido t charge much 😌😁
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 13 May 2022 11:27 Windy is your laptop is playing up or dies, don’t forget my offer to do any transcribing for you is always there. Be it sending me something handwritten through the post, and then I email you back completed document or via some other method. Ido t charge much 😌😁
To use a technical turn it is 'tatered' Vot! It's only a spare, I have at least one other in full working order plus a scanner and printer so no problem but thanks for the offer.

Pete.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

piwacket wrote: 13 May 2022 11:22 ‘Morning :) sunshine now breaking through, but was a chilly early morning, and the inevitable gusty wind blowing.

D5 - surely the Post office doesn’t deliver at 11pm?.
Maybe the Netherland version do?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 13 May 2022 13:42 Maybe the Netherland version do?
What? They’re sending a Dutch postman over here? Oh you mean a Dutch delivery driver? Not post per se
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I managed to get quite a few pots filled but it wasn’t a pleasant experience because the wind was so strong and cold, when it dropped for a second the sun was lovely then a great gust of wind swept across blowing all the pots around the garden. It made me very cross and disgruntled and I was glad to come inside. The rest of them will have to wait until next week now.
BY Paulo Coelho
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 13 May 2022 10:10 Greetings Earthlings. I’d love the chance to work work - but......pet hate of the day? Jobs advertised as remote/hybrid/home based or WFH then when you ask for more detail on that, you find out that meetings take place in Manchester, Birmingham and London plus other cities, and you’re expected to attend.....

No mention of that in the advert of course 🙄. Pffft, bummer.
Just before I left my final place of employment, my successor and I had to recruit her successor. It was interesting that some people expected to be able to WFH on a permanent basis and once they heard that there would be occasional meetings around the UK, they weren't willing to be put forward. Others regarded meeting people and travelling as something they would enjoy. We did, at least, make it clear in the advert that occasional travel would be required.

In other news, I have now been advised that my ankle will not require an operation, but I need to wear the damned boot for another four weeks. The surgeon who called me said I should exercise my ankle with forward and backward movements for ten minutes, three times a day. He advised against doing the sideways and circular exercises that were recommended to me on Monday because (i) they will hurt (he is right on that!) and (ii) those are not movements involved in walking. He's right there as well, although with the conflicting advice, I do feel I've been going around in circles.

Return to “Chatty Person”