Station Hill 2

OneGorman
Super Contributor

Re: Station Hill 2

Post by OneGorman »

The car park as it is will not be part of any new plans.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Frank Blank, quoting Giorgio Framalicco of RBC wrote: 13 Jan 2020 14:44resi-led
Is that a word?.

I know that resile means to to spring or shrink back, recoil or resume original shape, from the same latin root as resilience. But that meaning doesn't make any sense in the context of the quote, nor is there any reason to hyphenate it.

The other possibility is that it is a really horrible portmanteau word derived from resident and led. But again that doesn't really fit the context.

Anybody got any other ideas as to what RBC are trying to communicate here?.
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

chris_j_wood wrote: 14 Jan 2020 17:22
Frank Blank, quoting Giorgio Framalicco of RBC wrote: 13 Jan 2020 14:44resi-led
Is that a word?.

I know that resile means to to spring or shrink back, recoil or resume original shape, from the same latin root as resilience. But that meaning doesn't make any sense in the context of the quote, nor is there any reason to hyphenate it.

The other possibility is that it is a really horrible portmanteau word derived from resident and led. But again that doesn't really fit the context.

Anybody got any other ideas as to what RBC are trying to communicate here?.
It's an abbreviation of residential-led, meaning that the majority of the scheme is residential, rather than office-led or retail-led. It was said in a planning meeting and reported in a property-industry newsletter - the intended audience of both would have understood.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Final plans for station hill north to go on public display later this month.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Well at least they're getting rid of that bloody car park.
'Let's Go Brandon'
MrsKaur
Contributor

Post by MrsKaur »

Frank Blank wrote: 16 Jan 2020 10:58 Well at least they're getting rid of that bloody car park.
The removal of the carpark is causing concern for some people who work in town but park there. TBH most people I know who work in the town centre live on a bus route so could easily commute in on the bus, or are on a massive salary so could afford the bus/train.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Interesting to see that whoever has drawn the CGI images, has managed to flip the new Reading station building around. It should slope downwards to the other side, towards the Three Guineas 8)
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Also, the Station Hill development website is now updated:

http://www.stationhill.co.uk

Lots of new images. The indicative phase 3 building has been slimmed down, too.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

MrsKaur wrote: 16 Jan 2020 19:12
Frank Blank wrote: 16 Jan 2020 10:58 Well at least they're getting rid of that bloody car park.
The removal of the carpark is causing concern for some people who work in town but park there. TBH most people I know who work in the town centre live on a bus route so could easily commute in on the bus, or are on a massive salary so could afford the bus/train.
Many of the town centre workers don’t live in Reading (and possibly not near a train route)
A couple of years back a survey of vehicular movement was conducted, and it was found an average of 30000 vehicles entered the town centre at peak times, but also 24000 left

So, breaking that down, a possible 6000 people working, and with vehicles parking, in the town
But it could be more as some of the 24000 leaving may live there and commute out!
I know of many who live in outlying areas etc who come and work here, and they all drive as the most convenient choice

Not sure if there are figures for how many others work in the town centre that use alternative transport
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Hybrid application (full planning for Phase 2, outline for Phase 3) is now uploaded and available to view on the Reading Borough Council website.

Planning application number: 192032
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

I note from the pix they still have the station round the wrong way. :-)
'Let's Go Brandon'
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The more I look at this, the more I think it might ‘split’ the town which may not be that good for it all

Oddly, many car driving visitors just go to the Oracle and don’t bother with Broad St / Friar St (I know quite a few who come from out of Reading don’t know that bit exists!)
So, the chance of them wandering up towards the station is quite remote

It then begs the question would train visitors go over to see the Oracle especially given how dire Friar St can seem?

It will need a lot of promotion / signs etc to let visitors now all this is in place / how much there is of the town
And TBH Friar St needs a real revamp to help it all!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 Jan 2020 09:27 It then begs the question would train visitors go over to see the Oracle especially given how dire Friar St can seem?
There's no way that anyone arriving at a station as large as that will think that 100,000 sq ft of shops and restaurants is all the town has to offer. That's less than 1/4 the size of the Broad Street Mall, or about 1/8 of The Oracle.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

cnb wrote: 24 Jan 2020 10:48 There's no way that anyone arriving at a station as large as that will think that 100,000 sq ft of shops and restaurants is all the town has to offer. That's less than 1/4 the size of the Broad Street Mall, or about 1/8 of The Oracle.
I'm afraid that might be another case of the "we don't know how lucky we are in Reading" syndrome. I've many a time visited towns around Britain and thought "surely that cannot be all there is" only to find that it was.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

chris_j_wood wrote: 24 Jan 2020 10:52
cnb wrote: 24 Jan 2020 10:48 There's no way that anyone arriving at a station as large as that will think that 100,000 sq ft of shops and restaurants is all the town has to offer. That's less than 1/4 the size of the Broad Street Mall, or about 1/8 of The Oracle.
I'm afraid that might be another case of the "we don't know how lucky we are in Reading" syndrome. I've many a time visited towns around Britain and thought "surely that cannot be all there is" only to find that it was.
I remember many years ago when they lived in Somerset, that mum and dad went on a coach trip to Cardiff and Barry. Not sure where the coach dropped them off in Cardiff city centre but they came back most disappointed that "there's nothing there". When I took them they were somewhat surprised to find just how much there was in the centre. Unfortunately strangers don't always manage to work out what's there to be seen.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve done the same on many occasions and found towns to be less than first thought
Also gone exploring and found more spread out, but its surprising how many people don’t do that
I know a lot of people who admit to having visited Reading, parked in the Oracle, shopped / eaten there and then don’t bother with Broad St let alone further

Imagine with this - the main thoroughfare through this new development will bring you out onto Friar St approximately where Friars Walk is now
Then look left, and it’s not a great scene / sight, so maybe they might go around West St and up towards the BSM and into the end of Broad St, but unless they work all the way back down, might not realise the Oracle exists
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

It won’t split the town. It’ll be handy though for office staff with the additional shops and restaurants a stones throw from their offices. Anyone who’s worked in Reading Bridge House it Clear Water Court for example will tell you they haven’t got long enough to walk into town and back on a lunch break, but getting to the station is doable on a 30 min break. So this will be welcome by many at that end of the TC. We’re lucky in that the TC is so small. It’s a very short walk from the station to the Oracle and everything in between. This will just act as a welcome addition.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

Good and prominent signage will really help signpost people arriving at the station into the town centre.

Myself, I have yet to come across a visitor to Reading who doesn't know what/where the Oracle is, even if it was their first visit.

For the last 20 years, the Oracle has probably been the most well known destination in Reading town centre, although less so now with the redevelopment of many other cities and towns with new shopping centres. People I've talked to up and down the country know about the Oracle, and have visited before. I think people come to Reading knowing it's there.

Even more so with the present day, it's just too easy to search for things on your phone, and most friends just do that when going to new towns. Just searching Reading as a town will quickly bring up the main shopping attractions. Most friends that have visited Reading already knew what it has to offer, before even arriving. People seem to know which shops they want, and opening up a map on your phone will take seconds, even guiding you there.

I think Station Hill and developing the station area in general will help rebalance Reading town centre. The Oracle shifted the focus south, away from Friar Street. Station Hill will probably help bring people back to Friar Street.

Reading has the advantage of having a fairly well pedestrianised centre, with one direct road all the way from the station to the primary shopping street. You can even see the John Lewis frontage from the train station. Although the same cannot be said for vehicle traffic management, it must be said that the town centre layout is really easy to navigate for pedestrians, with no 'hidden' shopping areas or winding side streets. Everything is clustered into a relatively compact area.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

ash wrote: 24 Jan 2020 14:26
Myself, I have yet to come across a visitor to Reading who doesn't know what/where the Oracle is, even if it was their first visit.
I was walking to Oracle for the O2O 10k run when I was stopped by a driver who'd asked several people already where it was and was directed to the Oracle. Luckily, he was in good time and gave me a lift.

I doubt he was the first or last person to have been confused by a race sponsered by the Oracle Corporation at TVP and running from there to The Oracle shopping centre and back.
ChrisA2
Contributor

Post by ChrisA2 »

I do think it would be a good idea to open up a thoroughfare to Broad St, at the point of the Friar St entrance to the Station Hill complex.
I seem to recall that many buildings in this part of town are owned by the same company, and that they were looking of ways of doing this.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Saw (admittedly only) 3 workmen taking wood away from the Biscuit Tin today. Hopefully, the start of something much bigger (sooner rather than later) i.e. removing the awful multi storey car pack.
'Let's Go Brandon'
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Some more images here if the North planned towers, and the second one (tallest) has a helipad. Looks stunning!

http://readingonthames.com/2020/02/01/s ... ssion=true
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

"Alex Aitchison, director of development for Lincoln Property, part of the Lincoln MGT joint venture, developing the site, said interest had been considerable in both residential and office elements of the mixed-use scheme."

"Subject to planning, phase two, scheduled to take two years, would complete around the same time as phase one – where construction is due to start in Spring - at the end of 2022."

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/the-t ... ill-is-now
'Let's Go Brandon'
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Looking at the bigger picture, it does look like we are about to repeat the mistakes of the 1840s.

For the first 60 years from the opening of Reading's station, it was connected by Station Road to Friar Street, but no further. Anybody arriving at the intersection of Station Road and Friar Street would have had to choose between going left to Market Place, right to West Street, or filtering through one of a couple of minor streets (Cross Street or Union Street) to Broad Street. That was fixed in the early 20th century by the creation of Queen Victoria Street.

What the plans here seem to cry out for is another Queen Victoria Street, linking through to Broad Street from opposite the Friar Street entrance to the Station Hill development. Obviously I'm not advocating another riot of Victorian architecture, much as I admire QVS, but a 21st century equivalent would seem to be in order.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I notice that in Friar Street the demolition people don't seem to have much faith in their skills. Having already put up hoardings in front of the building they have now barricaded off a further metre or so of pavement. It's as if they are anticipating the scaffolding collapsing into the road ...
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

chris_j_wood wrote: 03 Feb 2020 15:30 What the plans here seem to cry out for is another Queen Victoria Street, linking through to Broad Street from opposite the Friar Street entrance to the Station Hill development. Obviously I'm not advocating another riot of Victorian architecture, much as I admire QVS, but a 21st century equivalent would seem to be in order.
Wasn't there a post on here a few weeks ago about the landowner planning just that?

Edit: It was here.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

The Threadneedle scheme is in the very early stages. I don't think they currently plan a through route, which would be a great shame. I have written to them strongly suggesting they create a pedestrian link - they have at least acknowledged my contact and passed to the team. I'm happy to share the email address to any of you - send me a Direct Message on here. I think it would be well worth others feeding in - Chris, CNB....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The more I look at this the more I remember the pillock who tried claiming compensation a few years back when it was all started off – (discussed way back on this thread as well)
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... ng-9194527
Makes me wonder how long this group have owned all the area, as he reckoned, he was the ‘landlord’ of a property / restaurant right opposite FW (was Jongleurs / Bar Risa / Comedy Loft / Bar 89 / the Bowery over time)
He was the one who claimed light would be blocked, even though it’s a North facing building, and the new FW would be open plan
I believe he was told ‘where to go’ eventually!

But makes you laugh with this new idea!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

spectrum64 wrote: 03 Feb 2020 16:34 I notice that in Friar Street the demolition people don't seem to have much faith in their skills. Having already put up hoardings in front of the building they have now barricaded off a further metre or so of pavement. It's as if they are anticipating the scaffolding collapsing into the road ...
Health and Safety gone mad...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OneGorman wrote: 06 Feb 2020 21:31
spectrum64 wrote: 03 Feb 2020 16:34 I notice that in Friar Street the demolition people don't seem to have much faith in their skills. Having already put up hoardings in front of the building they have now barricaded off a further metre or so of pavement. It's as if they are anticipating the scaffolding collapsing into the road ...
Health and Safety gone mad...
I would hazard a guess they are following laid down rules and guidelines rather than anticipating anything

H&S rules always remind me of a little story I got told years ago which shows no thought / common sense is given at times-
The big old house / building almost next door to Reading Tech (right where the bus stop / layby is) was being renovated / converted to offices
wipro.jpg
Edited as image didn't attached first time!

It was an interesting construction at the time – they supported the old front part and took the back off and stripped out all the inside (floors, walls etc) so just the 3 outer walls left
They then built a steel frame inside that extended through to the rear, that part was then built around inn the modern style (as seen in image)
The old part was ‘fixed’ to the frame and they then dug out all the old foundations underneath to underpin / replace them

Now the stupid bit…………….

An old mate Patsy (yes he was Irish) told me this one – he was in the gang digging out the old footings, they did it all by hand using picks and shovels as didn’t went machine vibration causing problems, and also did it in section as they went
This meant a gang of guys digging right under those walls in a gap about 4-5ft deep 8-9ft wide and under by about 9-10ft – and this was in a hot summer
One day Patsy was digging away in his hole when a H&S guy came along and started having a right go at him as he wasn’t wearing his ‘safety helmet’
Pasty said he crawled out the hole looked at the guy, looked up at the building above his head, then back at the guy and said – (try it in an Irish accent) ‘’if dat ****** lot cum down on me ******* ead then NO liddle plastic ******* hat is going save me ******* loif’’
He said the others all popped out of their little holes and all said the same / had a go at the H&S guy
He quickly went and no-more was said!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

friarstreet2020.02.jpg
I took this photo yesterday from upstairs on a bus showing a large hole. Sainsburys is now detached. Enjoy the view while it lasts!
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

spectrum64 wrote: 22 Feb 2020 10:44 friarstreet2020.02.jpg

I took this photo yesterday from upstairs on a bus showing a large hole. Sainsburys is now detached. Enjoy the view while it lasts!
That is a site (and sight) of beauty. Just need that monstrosity of a car park to be torn down now.
'Let's Go Brandon'
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Looking at the backdrop, what a wonderful tribute to Reading's Planning Department.

:clap3:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I used to work in the building on the right hand side, nearest to the tree OM. We went in there when they were first converted to offices. Pretty big inside. Used to have film shows and parties in the basement.....
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Bam wrote: 23 Feb 2020 06:42 Looking at the backdrop, what a wonderful tribute to Reading's Planning Department.

:clap3:
I don't understand the comment? Are you under the impression that RBC are developing the site?

Return to “Property developments in Reading”