Station Hill 2

Tommy
Super Contributor

Re: Station Hill 2

Post by Tommy »

mikejee wrote: 18 Jul 2019 10:12 Tommy
All the more opportunities to use the buses
I can't risk waiting 30 mins to an hour for it to turn up due to the hotbed of traffic in Purley, then worry about faffers who slows up the journey considerably.

Either car or walk 15 mins and get the train in, which takes no longer than 5 minutes.
ReadingBiker
Super Contributor

Post by ReadingBiker »

Some kind of drama at the demolition site at present - all the emergency services and fast response doctors in attendance en masse
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

ReadingBiker wrote: 01 Aug 2019 11:46 Some kind of drama at the demolition site at present - all the emergency services and fast response doctors in attendance en masse
Part of the scaffolding has fallen into Garrard Street.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/high-rise-bu ... n-reading/
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Heart FM really blew this out of proportion saying two buried underneath rubble. Thankfully it wasn’t quite as serious as that.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

The town centre is so nice with the natural light.
Got to make the most of it before the concrete jungle takes over
B4B91966-C43F-47D8-8E2C-CBB7565A7EE3.jpeg
Tandorem
Contributor

Post by Tandorem »

Lizzy33 wrote: 20 Aug 2019 13:45 The town centre is so nice with the natural light.
Got to make the most of it before the concrete jungle takes over

B4B91966-C43F-47D8-8E2C-CBB7565A7EE3.jpeg
You are right! My friend just came back from Tokyo and showed me pictures from there. You can barely find parks there to enjoy trees and quite. So it i always better to appreciate what we have and to enjoy every moment of our lives.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Hi Tandorem and welcome to the forum
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

https://www.callisonrtkl.com/wip/winner ... ill-north/

Some designs for the future phases of Station Hill, north of Garrard Street.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Looks interesting
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Not a fan of the tiny building behind Thames Tower. When central Reading land is sparse for development, you want to see the most made from to so building taller makes more sense.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

One of the more ridiculous designs I've seen.

Quite why they feel the need to break everything up with a glass stump that looks like a glazed multi-story car park is beyond me.

That space should be occupied by a building of equal (or greater) height than the building next to it. And I'm not referring to that monstrosity - better known as the Thames Tower - either.
'Let's Go Brandon'
cnb
Super Contributor

Post by cnb »

Frank Blank wrote: 04 Dec 2019 21:39 Quite why they feel the need to break everything up with a glass stump that looks like a glazed multi-story car park is beyond me.
That's exactly what it is, isn't it? The existing car park with cladding to help the facade and roof blend in with the new buildings alongside it.

I guess this was one of the options put forward during the period when the owners were trying to do it on the cheap, but the selected option was the one with a five-a-side pitch on the roof instead.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

The building on the site of the current multi-storey car park is disproportionately small, compared to the rest.

I'm not a big fan of the other buildings, either. They constrict the entrances/exits to the public plaza, making it too boxed-in and uninviting.
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

It's unclear whether these are the latest plans. I've contacted the developer to find out.
Also seems a very narrow pathway to the proposed walkway across to Friars Walk.
I think we need to wait for the planning application, which I believe is due soon.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Well, it would seem the link no longer works. Quelle surprise.
'Let's Go Brandon'
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

Revised plans for the flats section of this development. Two very disappointing 12 story blocks proposed. Surely 17 stories like the Verto building would be more suitable and better use of such hard to come by town centre land?!

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ?ref=fbshr
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Build cheap, sell dear, and to hell with the long-term consequences. Hutches are for rabbits.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... m-17428571

Cinema, shops and gym, and build to rent.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

As far as I can tell, the news headline makes the scheme look a lot more mixed-use than it actually is going to be.

South of Garrard Street will be a few shops, and a public walkway from Friar St to Garrard St. The amenities of this phase will all be private for the new residents only (cinema room, parking etc).
peterson
Super Contributor

Post by peterson »

A flurry of inaccurate media reports here, sparked by the completion of paperwork related to the already-approved development of the Friars Walk and Telecom House plots that are currently being demolished. They'll be replaced by 500-odd build-to-rent apartments. Buildings are up to 12 storeys high, although will look 14 from Garrard St at its lowest point. Ground floor retail units will be obviously open to the public, but gym and cinema facilities within the apartment complex are exclusive to residents.
Plans for the northern part of the site (Garrard St car park plus vacant plots by the station) will be a more high rise development up to around 25 commercial storeys but we're awaiting the submission of a planning application to see full details of the proposals. Rumours of a hotel, plus a mix of office and residential.
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

“25 commercial stories” 😎
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Noticed this afternoon that concrete blocks and the precursor to hoardings are going up in the 'Biscuit Tin' open space.
Not sure what they're for, but I'm hoping (against hope) that it's preparation for the demolition of that monstrosity of a multi-story car park.
'Let's Go Brandon'
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I think its ready for the station end of the Friars Walk development

This was the info for the public meeting back in June - (link to web site) - http://www.stationhill.co.uk/
You need to open or download the info pack as too large for an attachment here
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Oops should have added - somewhere on that pack I think it shows the carpark as still there!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

OLDMAN wrote: 03 Jan 2020 07:59 Oops should have added - somewhere on that pack I think it shows the carpark as still there!
That's what worries me.
'Let's Go Brandon'
OneGorman
Super Contributor

Post by OneGorman »

I don’t think it is. If you zoom in on the design then it’s office space.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OneGorman wrote: 03 Jan 2020 13:23 I don’t think it is. If you zoom in on the design then it’s office space.
Ah yes, looking closer and I tend to agree, some of the images are deceptive though

But it does beg some questions -
Where are all the office workers / residents going to park?
Where are all those that currently use Garard St CP going to park in the future?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

OLDMAN wrote: 03 Jan 2020 13:35
OneGorman wrote: 03 Jan 2020 13:23 I don’t think it is. If you zoom in on the design then it’s office space.
Ah yes, looking closer and I tend to agree, some of the images are deceptive though

But it does beg some questions -
Where are all the office workers / residents going to park?
Where are all those that currently use Garard St CP going to park in the future?
Garrard Street was my "Office Car Park". It is closing and we have moved our car parking spaces - we are now parking in the Oracle Riverside. Very convenient for shopping, not so convenient for the office which is next to the Station!! Apparently it was the only place in Reading with enough availability for permits. I have to say its quite cool though as its on number plate recognition instead of a card so you just drive up to the barriers and they open - same on the way out.
ash
Super Contributor

Post by ash »

As far as I understand, the new Station Hill development proposes underground parking under the new plaza level. Essentially this is similar to what was initially proposed in Station Hill 1 and 2.

South of Garrard Street, the currently approved plans include underground parking for residents, but as usual, not enough for all the apartments.

North of Garrard Street, the proposed plans could change dramatically. But from their exhibition documentation, they propose underground parking for the office spaces.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

And garrard street isn't NCP's property. It belongs (belonged?) to the council.

Although you could argue that the site needs some car parking, a more modern view might be that a building next to a £900 million station might be able to do without?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Back in the 80’s it used to be council and I regularly parked there, (one of the few carparks tall enough for me to get my Land Rover in) then NCP took it over and the costs almost trebled overnight (and I had a big argument at the time when trying to leave once as no warnings it had changed!)

A while back it was one of those RBC took back off NCP as the contract had run out
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

Garrard Street is nothing to do with the council now it is wholly run by NCP its probably now owned by the developers of the whole site. It is still run by NCP though. Other Council carparks have returned to be run by the council, such as Queens Road etc
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

:banghead: , how stupid am I!
Answers on a postcard to the usual address
Mr Doi Giveadamn
100 Sowhat St

I thought it had been one that went back to RBC but getting confused with Broad St Mall, but really stupidly I parked there the other week and have scans of the tickets (claimed back as working) fully emblazoned ‘NCP’…………………..double :oops1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Latest application, imminent.

I just hope the damn car park isn't still in there.

https://www.tvproperty.co.uk/news/new-s ... n-imminent

"Mr Framalicco told delegates the next Station Hill application will soon be available on the council's planning portal.

"He added: “The north part of the (Station Hill) site is resi-led, with significant office accommodation as well as a food and drink offer and will open up a link from the station through to Friar Street - and then onto the main high street as well - so we are quite looking forward to that main connection.”

"That route, he said, will open up opportunities for further regeneration at adjacent sites."
'Let's Go Brandon'

Return to “Property developments in Reading”