Sun Inn Replacement?

an area for Reading's many public houses, restaurants, and hotels
RTT
Contributor

Sun Inn Replacement?

Post by RTT »

Sun Inn

does anyone know what's happening after it closes surely not demolition, same goes for the bugle aswell but this is different could be something really nice like the rose in wokingham etc

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... b-23784854
piwacket

Re: Sun Inn Replacement?

Post by piwacket »

I saw that a couple of days ago, very sad. No reason given though. Hopefully it’s not going to replaced by a faceless ‘sugar-box’ like the Boar’s Head.

But it’s an old historical building so the chances are it’ll be demolished :banghead:
There's no such thing as a free lunch
carless-jane
Super Contributor

Post by carless-jane »

I was a regular there for years when I lived within walking distance, and first went in when it was still public bar at the front, with plain wood floor and trestle tables, and lots of old pewter tankards and jugs hanging from the ceiling. The saloon bar was further back with carpet and comfy chairs, and there was a dining room beyond that. The right hand side was still a separate dwelling, although looked abandoned and that and part of the old stables under the pub (of elephant fame) were eventually opened up to make the layout that is now there. I really hope someone comes up with a use for the building that doesn't involve knocking it down. Demolishing it would not be simple as some walls are very thick, and also the cellars go down a long way, at least two or three levels and there is also the tunnel reputed to go to the abbey. I hope some local history buffs get to have a good explore.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It is Grade Two listed, which despite uneducated opinions, the Boar’s Head wasn’t. I also doubt that the Bugle is either.

The Bugle could become a food based business or even a pub. It’s just that the current owners can’t make a profit

Same as the Sun. Nobody other than doom mongers (an ex member of this parish) is suggesting demolition is the aim.
It’s an old pub, that can’t make a profit today. Someone else could buy the lease.

Maybe a live music venue? We need them and there are few neighbours.
A restaurant?
If the police station and broad street mall development goes ahead there will be loads of residents looking for a pint.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

dave m wrote: 07 May 2022 13:03 It is Grade Two listed, which despite uneducated opinions, the Boar’s Head wasn’t. I also doubt that the Bugle is either.
Maybe not ‘uneducated’ as ‘uninformed’ or ‘unaware’ :?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

True.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

It does beg the question as to why they can’t make enough profit as the Brewdog Bar opposite is always full and seems to be doing very well?
There again last time I went in (last year) for darts, it was dirty / very scruffy (in need of decorating big time) and not very ‘inviting’
The regulars are all okay but it can’t survive on just them alone
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

They used to have a lot of trade from the police station, that closing down won’t help.

I got thrown out of there with a mate in the 70’s from the front/public bar with no explanation. We had ordered a couple of pints, the staff had poured one, and the landlord ordered us out. Weird.

Years later I went back and it was eh… a girlfriend worked there for a while.
I did hear (years ago) that they had terrible hygiene issues with cockroaches but I guess an old building is difficult

It was never a favourite of mine and I hope that it returns to some kind of drink/ food establishment

Return to “Pubs, Restaurants, and Hotels”