I Live In Caversham - I am a Local - Give Me A Sign!

chat about the town here ...
Stewart
Super Contributor

I Live In Caversham - I am a Local - Give Me A Sign!

Post by Stewart »

Here is an old topic which still irritates me. Many years ago I, and some others started a topic on a mini campaign to get individual areas with their own road signs, when entering the area.

So, for instance I live in Caversham, but entering from any direction all signs just proclaim ”Reading” Yes all fine and true, but I think it would be good if we had sings for say Tilehurst or Emmer Green, Whitley etc. giving the name of the area, as you enter.

The signs could still say Reading, but include the local area name as well. I think it would give a good sense of belonging in that area, and help with people entering the town.

There was at the time, what I considered a fudge, Caversham and Emmer Green (there may be others) commissioned artists to design and carve timber Totem Poles, with local scenes on (one in Caversham Precinct and one by Emmer Green Pond). Forgot who paid for them, but they were expensive from memory. Not that I mind them, but it was not the point I was trying to make.

Thoughts anyone? Or a I again flogging a dead horse!
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
mikejee
Super Contributor

Re: I Live In Caversham - I am a Local - Give Me A Sign!

Post by mikejee »

Would mean quite a lot of signs. Can think of better ways for spending that money
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

mikejee wrote: 03 May 2022 11:17 Would mean quite a lot of signs. Can think of better ways for spending that money
But the Reading signs cost money. It is just a question of replacing them with district signs when they become tatty.

Where I live, we have road signs for every district.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

So the idea is just to have the signs on the outskirts of Reading. I had assumed it meant to have signs on all the roads into an area from other areas. Agreed that that would not be so expensive, but could cause confusion if, after entering Reading, an outsider moved into another area of ?Reading
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

To some extent I agree Stewart - as Reading is such a large town that now encompasses numerous areas which were once villages in their own right… Caversham, Tilehurst, (Old) Earley as distinct from Lower Earley, Woodley, Whitley - some indication of how to get there would be sensible. I suppose the argument would be that Postcodes do that? … but not how to get there when entering the town from any direction. There are one or two signs, indicating RBH and University - car parks… the latter always amuse me - they’re listed but not how to get there, or what to do when you get there and find it’s full!

But not an easy task, and could get complicated - especially with all the one-way systems which must drive outsiders to screaming pitch.

When I had the gallery in Castle Hill, we got so many, usually truck drivers, pull up outside(!) asking where this or that industrial estate is, that I got a Reading town map, and marked it up with routes (from our premises) - kept a few photocopies and we handed them that…. They were very grateful. The one that always intrigued us was Arlington Business Park at Theale, which they must have gone past on their way down to us….and felt sorry in particular for those looking for the delivery bays of M&S or BHS….
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The other one that confuses people is Oracle v "The Oracle".
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Its not rocket science. Caversham could be in large letters, with Reading underneath in smaller letters These are district signs not signposts. Not on every road, just on the main roads that currently display Reading signs. Local signs give local people a pride in their district.

I feel the final word should be by the people of Caversham, not by those in Reading.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I should think sat navs are pretty much universal now, and there’s always the old fashioned maps 😊
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Caversham IS Reading. It became part of Reading in the 1920's.
I live not in Reading, but part of Earley, but I call it Reading to anyone who asks, even thou the Evil Vulcan is my MP.
It's about a ten minute walk from my old family home, which was in Reading.

I can see the point, but frankly don't see the benefit.
Some conservation areas have a bit added on the road signs.
If there was room, you could bond/pop rivet an extra bit but who will pay for it?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I suppose the counter argument would only be if the ‘districts’ came under a large area covered by a town / city miles away
e.g if Caversham was still part of Oxford the signs would read Gosbrook Rd / Caversham / Oxford - now that would confuse anyone traveling through especially if they thought going into Reading!

Similarly where I live - a sign just up the road could read Wokingham Rd / Earley / Wokingham, but further down would be Wokingham Rd / Reading (no sub-district)

And what happens for the roads that straddle borders - Church Rd by us would have one side signed Church Rd / Earley / Wokingham but other side would have to be Church Rd / Reading
Same with Whiteknights Rd

The logistics could become a nightmare - and maybe why you don’t see it in many other places
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

When I was living in Caversham in the 1940s to 60s, it was never considered by locals as "part of Reading". That was an easy way to insult Cavershamites. Caversham people were proud of Caversham and pleased to be isolated by the bridge.

Maybe other districts do not have the same "Passport to Pimlico" attitude. It must be something to do with the river and Caversham being snatched away from Oxfordshire by Reading years ago.

I don't see the issue being much to do with traffic it is just a matter of local geography and history. Folk need to abandon their cars now and again and walk around.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 03 May 2022 13:26 When I was living in Caversham in the 1940s to 60s, it was never considered by locals as "part of Reading". That was an easy way to insult Cavershamites. Caversham people were proud of Caversham and pleased to be isolated by the bridge.

Maybe other districts do not have the same "Passport to Pimlico" attitude. It must be something to do with the river and Caversham being snatched away from Oxfordshire by Reading years ago.

I don't see the issue being much to do with traffic it is just a matter of local geography and history. Folk need to abandon their cars now and again and walk around.
Mr Bam - please stand to be corrected but Caversham was never ‘taken’ by Reading - it was passed over to Berkshire, thus becoming part of Reading as the local nearest town - all down to the Local Government Board Provisional Order Confirmation (No. 11) Act 1911

And I would guess only those around / old enough to understand what happened in 1911, would have still been moaning about it in the 40’s...........

:whistle1:
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I stand corrected Oldman. Caversham could never be taken over by Reading as they would never have got past the fearsome Caversham front line on the bridges.
:orange:
However it somehow seems to have been "taken" even if not defeated .

I could do with a bit of moral support from other Cavershamites on this.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Remember the jokes we use to have on here about blowing the bridges / manning the gun towers to stop Caversham'ites to get across the river?
Dear old Les was a good one for that
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I'm with Bam on this. I've lived in Caversham since I was 1 year old, except for a couple of years in Reading when I was first married. I get very cross when people say Caversham Rd is in Caversham. Caversham is only the area north of the two bridges, and north of the Thames.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Bam wrote: 03 May 2022 15:25

I could do with a bit of moral support from other Cavershamites on this.
Hah - pffft as if - a Proud Tilehurst Ender here Bam. Even if it is totally tropical :wink:
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

maggieaitch wrote: 03 May 2022 16:40 I'm with Bam on this. I've lived in Caversham since I was 1 year old, except for a couple of years in Reading when I was first married. I get very cross when people say Caversham Rd is in Caversham. Caversham is only the area north of the two bridges, and north of the Thames.
I can beat you MaggieH. I lived in Caversham since age zero minutes but you beat me after my age of 19. Then I lived in Reading for 6 months then Pangbourne for about 6 months then work took me closer to and eventually into west London.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Taking away the 2 years spent in a flat in Reading, I've lived a total of 86 years in Caversham.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Perhaps you should lobby Caversham Traders association to pay for some signs - iirc in France even quite small places have their name at the side of the toad as you enter snd when you leave it has a black line through it….

My gripe is a little different , we have Caversham Heights and Lower Caversham, and I’d like to see the area around the Henley Road, up ~Peppard Road up to the Emmer Green border, called Upper Caversham…why not …🙂
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Stewart wrote: 03 May 2022 11:02Here is an old topic which still irritates me. Many years ago I, and some others started a topic on a mini campaign to get individual areas with their own road signs, when entering the area.
We've had some down here in Sarf Reading for about 5 years...Image
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

maggieaitch wrote: 03 May 2022 19:06 Taking away the 2 years spent in a flat in Reading, I've lived a total of 86 years in Caversham.
That is amazing MaggieH. You should receive some kind of award. Caversham must be a healthy place to live. Wishing you many more good years.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 04 May 2022 06:45
maggieaitch wrote: 03 May 2022 19:06 Taking away the 2 years spent in a flat in Reading, I've lived a total of 86 years in Caversham.
That is amazing MaggieH. You should receive some kind of award. Caversham must be a healthy place to live. Wishing you many more good years.
An elderly neighbour passed away recently, she was about 96/97 (slightly older than my mother and they were old friends from way back in the 50’s)
She had lived in the same house all her life, it was her parents place then her father passed and (we were told) she nursed her mother until she went - she then got married (late in life) and had a son (who is only just coming up 50) - her husband passed away about 30yrs ago, he was ill / frail when we moved in so hardly saw him about
She eventually got ill and her son became full time carer and of course has lived in the same house all his life
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Mayfield wrote: 03 May 2022 22:51 Perhaps you should lobby Caversham Traders association to pay for some signs - iirc in France even quite small places have their name at the side of the toad as you enter snd when you leave it has a black line through it….

My gripe is a little different , we have Caversham Heights and Lower Caversham, and I’d like to see the area around the Henley Road, up ~Peppard Road up to the Emmer Green border, called Upper Caversham…why not …🙂
How about Mezzanine Caversham while we are at. Only estate agents will gain from this local signage frenzy. The Council seem to prefer the name North Reading and with tomorrow’s local elections, the ward boundaries won’t define what’s north of the Thames, with now one that spans it. I know where Tilehurst and Woodley are, I don’t know where they start or end, but that doesn’t bother me. For all my formative years I lived in Oxfordshire, yet we said we lived in Caversham. I tell people I live in Reading, a name I’m much keener to promote than Caversham, which I only reveal to those who claim to know the town.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

On the few occasions I visit, I can still recognise Caversham. I cannot say the same for Reading, so in my book Caversham wins hands down.

"North Reading" means nothing at all to me, all bureaucrat speak. In the past no one in Caversham would care a jot what Reading Council thought.

Long live Caversham.
:dancepepper:
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

So unless you are 130 Bam, “not giving a jot about Reading” means you never voted?

No one alive remembers Caversham “independence”

It all sounds a bit “Hove Actually”
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Mezzanine Caversham, snigger. How about Lower Whitley. Oh, wait....... :whistle1:
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

dave m wrote: 05 May 2022 08:54 So unless you are 130 Bam, “not giving a jot about Reading” means you never voted?
I may never have voted unless there was an election in 1963, in which case I certainly did. I have never not voted in my life.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

There is no doubt that Caversham is a nice place to live however apart from it being a pleasant extended village what else does it offer to visiit. Er.?? exactly . So why signpost a place to nowhere.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Cheeky Boy Racer….The river and riverside parks , Caversham Court, St Anne’s Well, the Redgrave Pincent Rowing Lake….restaurants with cuisine from around the world….I’ll let Maggie add the rest 🙄
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I think the Rowing Lake is technically Oxfordshire?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It’s an RG 4 postcode , presumably it would be OX if it was Oxfordshire…although it must cross the boundary ….
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Well, Henley has RG post codes.
As does Sonning and many other towns

https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/publi ... 11686-2122
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Do they…actually from memory I think the Oxfordshire sign is just past the CPV traffic lights, I’ll check on Sunday…
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

You can see the boundary on Open Street Map and the lake is in Oxfordshire - https://osm.org/go/eusnEsSx-
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Mayfield wrote: 05 May 2022 21:11 Cheeky Boy Racer….The river and riverside parks , Caversham Court, St Anne’s Well, the Redgrave Pincent Rowing Lake….restaurants with cuisine from around the world….I’ll let Maggie add the rest 🙄
That's about what I would say, Mayfield. Maybe add,a strong sense of community,friendly neighborhoods.

Return to “Reading talk”