Another Bank Holiday?

General chat forum
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Re: Another Bank Holiday?

Post by chris_j_wood »

piwacket wrote: 27 Apr 2022 17:38 I too have often wondered how the country could effectively close down the non-retail sector for so long. Friends in Canada have often been mystified too.
Which is odd, because no province of Canada has fewer than the 8 days of public holiday we get in a typical year, and most have significantly more. Of the larger provinces, Alberta has 11, BC and Ontario have 10, and Quebec has 8.

I suspect our 8 days is probably slightly on the low side compared to most similar countries. Even in the US, most private sector employees get 9 days off. On the other hand, I think most places do not dole out compensation days if public holidays fall on a weekend, as we do, so that probably balances out over a few years.

I don't particularly want to start sticking more on public holidays on, as I think it is much better to have a decent annual leave entitlement that lets you take time off when you want it.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 28 Apr 2022 15:49 Which is odd, because no province of Canada has fewer than the 8 days of public holiday we get in a typical year, and most have significantly more. Of the larger provinces, Alberta has 11, BC and Ontario have 10, and Quebec has 8.
…just quoting my friend who (now) lives in Toronto. Initially she didn’t get Boxing Day, just Christmas Day, but when she’d been at the company a while she then got both - unless she had any remaining annual leave which she could ask to be added on - and usually got. She works for a big company who appear to be very reasonable… and at the time had two boys on Christmas leave from school. They’ve now left school, but she still ‘saves’ some annual leave to have at Christmas.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

And on a related subject, be prepared for this year's May Day holiday to be particularly busy, as it overlaps with Eid.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Boxing Day is an English thing, some other ex colonies continue to use it.
My parents didn't have Boxing Day as a holiday in Scotland

wiki
In Australia, Boxing Day is a public holiday in all jurisdictions except the state of South Australia, where a public holiday known as Proclamation Day is celebrated on the first weekday after Christmas Day or the Christmas Day holiday.[22] Both the Boxing Day Test cricket match held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race begin on Boxing Day.

In Canada, Boxing Day (French: le Lendemain de Noël) is a federal statutory holiday. Government offices, banks and postal services are closed. In Ontario, and other Canadian provinces, it is a provincial statutory holiday. In Newfoundland & Labrador, however, it is not only a federal and provincial statutory holiday, but also a retail holiday. While the rest of Canada goes into a retail frenzy on December 26, Newfoundlanders and Labradorians must wait until December 27 to hunt for after-Christmas bargains.

In Hong Kong, despite the transfer of sovereignty from the UK to China in 1997, Boxing Day is a general holiday as the first weekday after Christmas.[23][24]

In Ireland, when the entire island was part of the United Kingdom, the Bank Holidays Act 1871 established the feast day of Saint Stephen as a non-moveable public holiday on 26 December.[25] Following partition in 1920, Northern Ireland reverted to the British name, Boxing Day. In County Donegal, particularly in East Donegal and Inishowen, the day is also popularly known as Boxing Day.[26][27][28]

In New Zealand, Boxing Day is a statutory holiday. On these holidays, people who must work receive 1+1⁄2 times their salaries and a day in lieu is provided to employees who work.[29]

In Nigeria, Boxing Day is a public holiday for working people and students. When it falls on a Saturday or Sunday, there is always a holiday on Monday.[30]

In Scotland, Boxing Day has been specified as an additional bank holiday since 1974,[31] by royal proclamation under the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.[32]

In Singapore, Boxing Day was a public holiday for working people and students; when it fell on a Saturday or Sunday, there was a holiday on Monday. However, in recent years this tradition has ceased in Singapore.[33]

In South Africa, the Day of Goodwill, which falls on 26 December, is a public holiday.[34]

In Trinidad and Tobago, Boxing Day is a public holiday.[35]

In the UK, 26 December (unless it is a Sunday) has been a bank holiday since 1871. When 26 December falls on a Saturday, the associated public holiday is on the following Monday. When 26 December falls on a Sunday, the public holiday is the following Tuesday, Monday being the public holiday associated with Christmas Day. The same practice is observed in Canada.[36]

In the British overseas territory of Bermuda, the costumed Gombey dancers perform throughout the mid-Atlantic island on Boxing Day, a tradition believed to date back to the 18th century when slaves were permitted to gather at Christmastime.[37]

In Massachusetts, Governor William F. Weld declared in 1996 that every 26 December is Boxing Day, in response to the efforts of a coalition of British citizens to "transport the English tradition to the United States",[38] but not an employee holiday.[39]
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

And there was me thinking Boxing day was when you cleared all the ‘boxes’ out that the Xmas presents had come in the day before!

Although I do know the real reason behind the name...................
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Well,…..
Nobody “knows” the real reason, there are conflicting opinions but it’s kind of lost in history
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve always been told / understood it went back to royalty giving ‘boxes’ of gifts as Xmas presents to servants etc on that day
It then carried on with nobility / rich people doing the same so became a tradition

Of course it could just be the day everyone goes out and gets drunk as pubs where shut Xmas day – then up in a huge ‘boxing’ match.............................
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!

Return to “Chatty Person”