Bus Service Improvement Plan funding

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Souwester
Super Contributor

Bus Service Improvement Plan funding

Post by Souwester »

Reading has been awarded £26.3m to support its BSIP.
https://www.route-one.net/news/under-ha ... 1bn-award/

The RBC submission can be found here: https://images.reading.gov.uk/2021/10/R ... ssible.pdf
The Delivery Action Plan starts on page 50.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Re: Bus Service Improvement Plan funding

Post by chris_j_wood »

That is interesting. Actually I found the description of the current system more informative than the delivery action plan, most of which is a bit woolly. I'm left not entirely sure what they are going to spend that £26m on, other than a whole lot of consultation.

But then I guess that compared to what we have just spent on test & trace (enough to buy a whole fleet of top of the range nuclear powered aircraft carriers) it is petty cash.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

More bus lanes. Car park prices up and still pushing for some kind of mass transit system.

This seems a good idea, We will work with operators to develop increased Demand Responsive Services as flexible extensions of existing routes including to enable direct journeys from residential areas to workplaces and other destinations outside the town centre, if it means getting across town without getting off a bus or only a few minutes for a connecting service that’s a short walk away.

Improve bus-rail integration, including the availability of space allocated to buses in the Reading Station area, to improve interchange with National Rail….. So perhaps they shouldn’t have got rid of the old bus station and concreted over between Station Hill and Station Road.

More P&Rs definitely good, except the chance of it happening north of the Thames must be zilch, since all suitable sites are in Oxfordshire, unless you want to concrete over Caversham House Park.

Somehow the target of 1.5 million extra passenger journeys by 2023/24 (7% on 2018/19’s 22.5m)) doesn’t seem much. I wonder how much it will reduce congestion and pollution, but I suppose whatever kind of Rome the Council are looking for it isn’t built in a day.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

According to page 46 of this the plan they are spending £26million to improve the average journey time by 43 seconds!
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”