Gas Works Road Bridge

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Souwester
Super Contributor

Gas Works Road Bridge

Post by Souwester »

Gas Works Road (at least the northern end) is, I understand, a private road owned by the Bel & Dragon. The bridge dates from the late 19th century, and, I would have thought, it should be subject to weight restrictions, but no such signs exist. From the vantage point of my adjacent apartment window, I've seen very heavy HGVs use the road. Are private roads subject to the same highways rules and regulations? It's a very useful way of avoiding Forbury Road and I'd hate to see it out of action because of weight damage.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Re: Gas Works Road Bridge

Post by Souwester »

Well, that was a popular topic!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Funny as thought I had replied at the time!

A private road is just that - a private or un-adopted road is by definition a highway not maintainable at public expense, responsibility for the cost of maintaining a private road rests with the owners of properties along it
Which is why majority of them are gravel roads

If any 'private' road has public access to it it’s still covered by the road traffic acts
Many have ‘No Entry except for access’ signs at each end so by using them you are breaking the law by ignoring the sign unless you can prove you are allowed ‘access’

If the local highway authority do maintain the road it’s not strictly ‘private’ such as Aldbourne Ave / Ramsbury Drive up near the Tree Tuns - it’s a WBC owned road that has ‘No Cars / Motorcycles - except for access’ signs each end but as there’s the church / hall there, then many do have ‘access’ rights, and also parking in the road which is allowed if at the church - although many of the residents up there have other ideas and think its all ‘private’ - its caused a few arguments over the years

As far as I know B&D only ‘own’ the land along by their property, which I understand includes the road, but I’m sure there are no ‘private / restricted access / any other’ signs - in fact if memory serves me right it has parking along that stretch, and that ends at the bridge so think maybe that comes under the council - it used to have different colour tarmac to denote the separate areas
As for weight limits I would imagine it’s pretty robust as would have had some heavy old steam waggons etc using it in the past - plus how do large trucks manage as it has bollards one end to stop such vehicles - unless they’ve gone?

I’ve always presumed RBC owned the bridge as they maintain it
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I moved here in April 2019 and the bollards had gone by then, so no restriction to any vehicles using it. After the Forbury Gardens murders and Forbury Road was closed a lot of larger lorries and buses were using GWR.

There are signs saying 'Private Land' and stating that parking terms apply. These are at the northern entrance to the road by B&D, and on the *south* side of the bridge. Since around autumn 2020 parking is monitored by cameras, again at the northern end and to the south of the bridge. The location of the signs would suggest B&D also own the bridge.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I think that the Northern end is private? The tarmac is a different colour and years ago there was a token system to raise a barrier.
Tokens came from Bell and Dragon.
It makes sense as the Gas land was sold off in batches

The southern end near Kings road may well be council and they may have taken the ownership of the bridge for historic reasons.
It's possible that both the B&D and RBC "own" the bridge but RBC does the maintenance with a contribution from B&D.

When Mockbeggar was demolished, the care home workers pulled out the trees that stabilised the dam at Whitenights.
The care home, uni and RBC had to each pay for the repairs. Followed by the Uni and RBC suing the care home builders.
Any landowner who borders a dam is responsible for the upkeep, - It's possible that each landowner of an approach road to a bridge are governed by some law covering mutual repairs.

It's also possible that although a right of way exists through Gasworks Lane, the signs prevent unlawful parking.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I took a mate down to view an apartment beginning of 2020 (he didn’t got for it due to the lockdown) and the bollards where still in place - funny little set to narrow the road at the H&P end of the bridge, there was also a newish looking CCTV camera on a pole there

And I did think there was a barrier a while back but thought I was imagining it!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

There were bollards there in 2009 - https://goo.gl/maps/bHBUKKMPUc5RNGdP6

And now it is just narrow with a camera - https://goo.gl/maps/Lu6gstD6cqXb8sb16
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

OLDMAN wrote: 27 May 2022 12:29 I took a mate down to view an apartment beginning of 2020 (he didn’t got for it due to the lockdown) and the bollards where still in place - funny little set to narrow the road at the H&P end of the bridge, there was also a newish looking CCTV camera on a pole there

And I did think there was a barrier a while back but thought I was imagining it!
Yes, there are bollards, which narrow the road, but still allow HGVs to pass, but I was referring to the rising bollards to completely prevent access having gone by the time I moved here in April 2019.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yes it was the road narrowing ones, obviously not 'narrowing' enough!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”