The March 2022 Forum Problems Technical Post

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Re: The March 2022 Forum Problems Technical Post

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 04 Mar 2022 11:13 Having to log on each day now but I can live with that as everything else appears to be functioning.

Pete.
Have you clicked 'keep me logged in' as I noticed I had to do that the other day when logging in after Digi had played with it all over the weekend?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

OLDMAN wrote: 04 Mar 2022 12:37
windrush wrote: 04 Mar 2022 11:13 Having to log on each day now but I can live with that as everything else appears to be functioning.

Pete.
Have you clicked 'keep me logged in' as I noticed I had to do that the other day when logging in after Digi had played with it all over the weekend?
Yes but it makes no difference. However it was fine just now so probably just a 'blip' like I have with some other forums. I know that when we are away from home I can't post on certain forums as they log me out whenever I attempt to post anything but perform fine when at home.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Struggle to post without continually logging on today. Was alright yesterday and haven’t logged out at all 🤷🏻‍♀️
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Have just started to have problems. If I start looking at other sites, but do n ot log out, when I come back to this site it has stalled solid. I have to come out of the site and come in again. I have it as "remember me" so it then logs in immediately. This has never happened before
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Need to log in every time now, I obviously spoke too soon about having no issues in the past!

Pete.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Was logged in this morning automatically, tried several times to post something but got logged out each time. Managed it eventually, getting to be a right pain in the posterior now!

Pete.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

windrush wrote: 05 Mar 2022 10:07 Was logged in this morning automatically, tried several times to post something but got logged out each time. Managed it eventually, getting to be a right pain in the posterior now!

Pete.
So far I seem to be OK - hope I haven’t spoken to soon.
On Safari on year old IPad Air.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Stayed logged in but had to log on again to post
digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

Hi all,

I'm really struggling to figure out why this is only affecting a few people. Can you please try the following if possible.
You'll be logged out of just Reading Forum, but once you log back in, it should be OK.

For Chrome: chrome://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reading-forum.co.uk
- and "clear data"

For Edge: edge://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reading-forum.co.uk
- and "reset permissions"

For Firefox, go to https://www.reading-forum.co.uk/ and then click the lock icon to the left of the URL (website address) and click "clear cookies and site data"

The only thing I can think of is that, for about 20 minutes, the URL redirects (to remove /forum/ from the links) were incorrect and have got stored in your cache.

And please clear and re-save any bookmarks you are relying on, to make sure it uses the new URL format.

OR try another browser - eg, if using Chrome, try Edge or Firefox for a day or two and see what it does.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not have editorial control over the content or direction of the forum, and do not speak for, on behalf of, or represent the views of the forum owners or moderators unless in a purely technical capacity.
Editorial or moderation queries? Please PM johnH
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Thanks for working on this Digi - hopefully it will help those having problems.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Thank you for hard work on this digi, this kind of thing is way beyond my Ken. I use an iPad exclusively for RF. no idea what browser I use - sorry to be a pain - what do I need to do, please?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 06 Mar 2022 16:50 Thank you for hard work on this digi, this kind of thing is way beyond my Ken. I use an iPad exclusively for RF. no idea what browser I use - sorry to be a pain - what do I need to do, please?
I’d have thought it’s Safari? That’s what my old IPad uses - as does the Air version.
But I have raised your question with Digi.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I cleared the cache and cookies from chrome a couple of days ago and since then I've not had a problem.
I thought it was toast but it seems ok now.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Apart from the one odd log-in following the update the other weekend, and the ‘freezing / hanging-up’ I’d had the week before its all good for me now – on both PC and phone!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Worse for me now, I keep getting logged out every time I post something despite doing all the things advised. :banghead:

Edited to say this was the fourth attempt at posting this.
Pete.
digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

I can feel your frustration - I know you said you were on Firefox, but I'd really like to know which exact version:

Can you please run this and post a link to the results here?
https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

According to the security scanner, everything is A+
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... orum.co.uk

And according to Webpage Test, everything is pretty much green (using this thread as an submitted page to scan)
https://www.webpagetest.org/result/220307_AiDc9F_8J1/

So I'm just trying to figure out where the issue could be. Do you have any ad-filtering software, or VPNs? Not that it should make a difference...
windrush wrote: 07 Mar 2022 09:32 Worse for me now, I keep getting logged out every time I post something despite doing all the things advised. :banghead:

Edited to say this was the fourth attempt at posting this.
Pete.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not have editorial control over the content or direction of the forum, and do not speak for, on behalf of, or represent the views of the forum owners or moderators unless in a purely technical capacity.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

Hmm, OK, that all looks fine. I think you said you'd done this already, but can you just go to https://www.reading-forum.co.uk/ and then click the lock icon to the left of the URL (website address) and click "clear cookies and site data", close browser, open it and and try again.
OR try another browser (just for a day or two).

Everyone else: Am I right in thinking that pretty much everyone else is OK now? If not, again, please post results of https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

For Digi https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

Forth attempt to post.
digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

Again, browser version looks great, so just to be belt and braces, can you copy and paste the following two lines into the adreess bar and click on "clear data" and then "clear", then close the browser and try again.
chrome://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reading-forum.co.uk
chrome://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Freading-forum.co.uk

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ah. Can’t copy paste digi, safari says invalid address?

Bizarrely, I can post again now without logging in 🤷🏻‍♀️
digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Mar 2022 13:39 Ah. Can’t copy paste digi, safari says invalid address?

Bizarrely, I can post again now without logging in 🤷🏻‍♀️
Oh! Well, that's good - but I just noticed that you didn't post a link to your result, but to the main site, so when it said "Chrome 100", that was MY browser, and then you said "Safari"! Can you try that again, and then post the actual link?
Go to https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/ and then where it says "Share this with your support team! Just send them the link below:", just click "copy" and then "paste" the URL here....

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

Hmmm, support for Safari 12 ended on September 19, 2019, with the current version 15 being released on September 20, 2021.

It may be that you can't update your Mac/iPad (because they have built-in obscelence), but you MAY be able to install Firefox or Chrome from the App Store. And you might even find they work better on some sites! But definitely TRY and update your ipac/mac if you can.

(Not that you should be forced to, but I've literally done all I can think of, and the forum site is all A+ ratings.)

digitaltoast
Contributor

Post by digitaltoast »

... and I know there will be some who said "well, it was fine before, it it ain't broke don't fix it", but it was getting close to the stage where I couldn't keep the forum software updated because the next version needed a new version of everything that was running on the server. So it had to happen SOME time, it's just a PITA....

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Thank you digi, that makes sense. I’ll have a word with the Alledged about updating this iPad. It’s my second one so far and I sooooooo resent this built in obsolescence thing :banghead: :banghead:
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

All appears OK at present, fingers crossed for the future. :-)

Pete.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Mar 2022 14:38 Thank you digi, that makes sense. I’ll have a word with the Alledged about updating this iPad. It’s my second one so far and I sooooooo resent this built in obsolescence thing :banghead: :banghead:
Anmd apple are the prime instigator (though others have followed) of this built-in obsolescence. That is one reason why, despite all these people sahying how good their products are, I woild never buy one of them -mac, ipad, or any of the other ridiculous devices like watches etc they produce
h3mp
Super Contributor

Post by h3mp »

mikejee wrote: 07 Mar 2022 18:01
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Mar 2022 14:38 Thank you digi, that makes sense. I’ll have a word with the Alledged about updating this iPad. It’s my second one so far and I sooooooo resent this built in obsolescence thing :banghead: :banghead:
Anmd apple are the prime instigator (though others have followed) of this built-in obsolescence. That is one reason why, despite all these people sahying how good their products are, I woild never buy one of them -mac, ipad, or any of the other ridiculous devices like watches etc they produce
Apple still support their latest operating system (iOS 15) and all updates for it as far back as the iPhone 6s from 2015 - so supported for nearly 7 years now.

I would say they were industry leaders in not making things obsolete :?
Mark. :drink7:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I agree – I’ve got a Samsung Tablet that must be about 8-9yrs old now and have no problems with that but tend to only use it for browsing / watching catch-up etc
And have no log on problems with the forum on it (only checked at the weekend)
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

OLDMAN wrote: 08 Mar 2022 08:33
I agree – I’ve got a Samsung Tablet that must be about 8-9yrs old now and have no problems with that but tend to only use it for browsing / watching catch-up etc
And have no log on problems with the forum on it (only checked at the weekend)
I was lucky enough to be given the iPad as a present, my phone is an android (for precisely the same reason that I wouldn’t work for MS or Apple) . Likewise I’ve no use for a MAC. But speaking generally, built in obsolescence is a PITA - washing machines, many household goods, food processors, TVs etc etc. And yes I know I’m :offtopic1:
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

h3mp wrote: 08 Mar 2022 07:59 Apple still support their latest operating system (iOS 15) and all updates for it as far back as the iPhone 6s from 2015 - so supported for nearly 7 years now.
I can get in here on both my iPhone 6s, at iOS15.3, and ‘old’ iPad - 2016 - that says it’s up-to-date at IOS 12.5 :? … it does rather ‘eat’ battery time though, which is a pain…. Constantly have to recharge it if I use it which is a nuisance.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Was logged in but had to log in again to post, a nuisance but not really a problem in the grand scheme of things! :whistle1:

Pete.
Jack Oatmon
Contributor

Post by Jack Oatmon »

I had the same problem that others are having, cannot stay logged in, I solved my problem in Firefox by going to Tools/Settings/Privacy & Settings
scroll down and under heading Cookies and Site Data select Manage Execptions

The execption that worked for me was reading-forum.co.uk without WWW, if I used WWW it did not work. After you enter reading-forum.co.uk click Alow and Firefox will add http:// twice.

I can now stay logged in even after closing Firefox

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just tried Chrome and have no problems staying logged in, I have no Add-ons on Chrome, on Firefox I have NoScript, Privacy Badger and Adblocker Ultimate.

EDIT: For some weird reason I have to use https://reading-forum.co.uk on Firefox to stray logged in, but I can use https://www.reading-forum.co.uk/ in Chrome.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

h3mp wrote: 08 Mar 2022 07:59
Apple still support their latest operating system (iOS 15) and all updates for it as far back as the iPhone 6s from 2015 - so supported for nearly 7 years now.

I would say they were industry leaders in not making things obsolete :?

Return to “Chatty Person”