Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 03 Mar 2022 17:29 Click on the pic and it will be portrait
Aw thanks Liz :) I’ll give it a go.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Re: Curiosity Killed The Cat

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 03 Mar 2022 15:19
chris_j_wood wrote: 03 Mar 2022 14:55 I think you are demonstrating the superiority of the Scottish educational system over the English there. What you say is absolutely true, always has been, and has nothing to do with whether you are American or not, or indeed if you are French or not. It is a consequence of the way we shape our mouth to make sounds, and has as much to do with biology as it has with linguistics.

Sadly that was obviously all a bit too complicated for the English education system, at least in the part of England I was brung up in, so they tended to over-simplify it. I remember being present when my grammar school's head of Biology nearly came to blows with the head of English on the subject.
Haha Chris :) At the time, yes it was superior - I was a couple of years ahead - in everything - of my contemporaries when I moved here.
Most certainly that rule was taught in Scotland… but I have to concede the English Master at school here also taught the same - but he was a stickler for ‘good’ English, well-spoken, with clear enunciation, good grammar and spelling too - he moved away a couple of years after I left, so whether his successor taught the same way I don’t know.
Bit like the confusion of the ‘Y’ in Ye, as in ‘Ye Olde Inn’!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Ye is an old printing device OM and should be pronounced the.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I remember one of our school teachers who use to enter the classroom and say "Now get sat down and get your books being read" which made us smile! :-) Can't say that I have ever been taught to talk proper otherwise the Reddin accent would have been knocked out of me, it has almost gone now anyway after 47 years in the North Midlands and folk can understand me know. :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I remember watching Island Race with John McCarthy and Sandi Toksvig many years ago and John McCarthy was talking to a lady, I think at the Grace Darling Museum, who spoke very fast in a very strong regional accent and he admitted that he had no idea what she was saying and just nodded politely.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

lizwing wrote: 04 Mar 2022 09:43 Ye is an old printing device OM and should be pronounced the.
That was my point but to add confusion

YE : 'YOU' sense 1 - can be used originally only as a plural pronoun of the second person in the subjective case and now used especially in ecclesiastical or literary language and in various English dialects (Merriam Webster)
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

A boy in my English class, whispered a bit too loudly that "Sir smells". Sir heard the remark and addressed the miscreant, "Incorrect English. I do not smell. You are the one that does the smelling, I merely stink"
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Does anyone know where I can recycle old prescription glasses? Have I asked this before?
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ollycat wrote: 11 Mar 2022 12:05 Does anyone know where I can recycle old prescription glasses? Have I asked this before?
A lot of opticians used to take them and they went to underprivileged countries via a charity, but you need to ask your optician if involved in that
Although I was told Spec-Savers in Woodley take them for that
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Ollycat wrote: 11 Mar 2022 12:05 Does anyone know where I can recycle old prescription glasses? Have I asked this before?
I think Lions Club still run their spectacles recycling scheme, so if you know someone in Lions then it would be worth asking them.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Boots Opticians take them, I believe.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Wondering...where do those posts go, that you write, then they don't get posted?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The magic post-box in the sky....................... :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Is it me, or is primer grey now the most popular colour for cars and vans? Especially VWs. Is it cheapest? Primer with a top coat of clear varnish, and so cheaper to repair than white?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Grey seems to have become the colour du jour, I hate grey it doesn’t go with anything clothes wise. I know several people who’ve had their kitchens done in grey and I have to be polite and say how lovely they are whilst thinking how cold and clinical they look. There’s a house on the way to town which has the whole exterior painted battleship grey, I know it’s personal taste but I don’t like it at all.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 31 Mar 2022 18:17 Grey seems to have become the colour du jour….
Re.hating colours, brown I find is meh! Farrow & Ball seems to be the go-to paints/emulsions - whether it is superior in quality I’ve no idea, but their colour range seems to be dominated by shades of grey and brown… regarded as posh/elegant I gather…..
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I used Farrow & Ball paint in the dining room, top half of the wall above the dado rail Rectory Red, looks lovely but it was a [email protected] to apply, took about 5 coats to get good coverage. It’s a slightly chalky finish and if any one brushes against it it leaves a shiny mark. I wouldn’t use it again.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Something I’ve long been curious about - Reading Half Marathon is this week-end, with numerous road closures …
So why is it on roads around the town and all the inconvenience to others…? Yes, I know it’s only once a year, but that doesn’t answer ‘why on roads?’
With 2 large public parks, especially Prospect Park, why not in one of them? Plenty of room to go to watch, if you feel inclined, and - I’d have thought easier on the runner’s feet - and less inconvenience to other road users.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

There are approx 20,000 people running in the Reading Half Marathon. You would need multiple laps of a park in order to reach the required distance. I'll leave the maths to the question setter.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 01 Apr 2022 11:51 There are approx 20,000 people running in the Reading Half Marathon. You would need multiple laps of a park in order to reach the required distance. I'll leave the maths to the question setter.
Oh yes, there’d be lots of laps! I realise that. Something like 13.5 miles, but I don’t know the perimeter length of Prospect Park, so don’t know how many laps that would be - or whether the route would/could just use the perimeter or maybe ‘zig-zag’ across the area :?
Just maybe it has been considered previously….?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

My estimate would be 1-2 miles so you're looking at 6-13 laps for 20,000 people. The queue for the start of the half marathon at Green Park is over half a mile tightly packed across a dual carriageway. It's just not practical to run it in a park.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 01 Apr 2022 12:17 My estimate would be 1-2 miles so you're looking at 6-13 laps for 20,000 people. The queue for the start of the half marathon at Green Park is over half a mile tightly packed across a dual carriageway. It's just not practical to run it in a park.
Oh OK. Yes the logistics are against it. :)
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Easy one for you fellow expert forumites.....

Where can I buy individual lawn turf (turves?) from? I don’t want many, probably four to six, so even a minimum order of 20/30 is way too much.

Thankee kindly :-)
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Winnersh Garden Centre does that. They get a delivery on Fridays if you want the fresh stuff.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Fed-up wrote: 02 Apr 2022 15:33 Winnersh Garden Centre does that. They get a delivery on Fridays if you want the fresh stuff.
Ooo fed-up, well done you! Thank you
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!

Return to “Chatty Person”