Curiosity Killed The Cat

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Curiosity Killed The Cat

Post by OLDMAN »

Okay odd title but I thought we should have a Thread where we can ask the Forum a question, and maybe get answers, that doesn’t get lost in the comments such as in Chat!

So to start..............

I see something near on everyone morning and it makes me wonder
I drive past The Elmhurst hotel early mornings and notice something odd – now this is mainly a transient workers place so mostly contractors etc, as can be seen by lots of commercial vehicles in the car park

The odd sight is – many have a rucksack or bag hanging ‘outside’ the window?
And even when raining
My guess is it could be their work boots that are a bit wiffy after wearing them all day so are ‘airing off’?

Anyone have any idea?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Curiosity Killed The Cat

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Maybe it’s the said cat - curiosity having caught up with it at last OM :roflol3:

Great idea for a threat though. I’ll put me thinking helmet on.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Don't know what the room facilities are like; if there's no fridge they may be trying to keep basic foodstuffs like milk cold.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Possibly to stop the bag or the contents from being nicked, lorry drivers staying in digs used to put the bed legs into their boots at night for the same reason. Some took their lorry steering wheels to bed with them as well, if you can't steer it then it's less likely to be stolen.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

They’d hardly hang the bags outside the cab if they were trying to stop them being stolen.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote: 02 Mar 2022 09:41 Don't know what the room facilities are like; if there's no fridge they may be trying to keep basic foodstuffs like milk cold.
Good point
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 02 Mar 2022 10:00 Possibly to stop the bag or the contents from being nicked, lorry drivers staying in digs used to put the bed legs into their boots at night for the same reason. Some took their lorry steering wheels to bed with them as well, if you can't steer it then it's less likely to be stolen.

Pete.
I've stayed in places like that but I think basic security is better these days
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

lizwing wrote: 02 Mar 2022 11:51 They’d hardly hang the bags outside the cab if they were trying to stop them being stolen.
I understood that they were hanging them outside the hotel windows?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It read as though it was the truck cab they were hanging outside of, sorry makes more sense if it’s the room window.
BY Paulo Coelho
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

The only time I've put anything outside a hotel window was milk, to keep it cool, so I reckon Pooneil's right. Well...apart from my head, but I'd had an awful lot to drink that night.

Good idea for a new Thread, OM, the occasional question in the Chat Thread does often get overtaken by general char.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OK a question and advice please…
We’ve just had new carpet laid in the bathroom, but because it’s a bit darker than we expected, we bought a couple of light coloured ‘Bath’ mats. These slide higgledypiggle! So I put some heavy duty Velcro on the bottom of them - no good! they still slide. So I’ve looked at carpet grippers - I thought something like Velcro- but stronger ‘hooks, so that the mats hook on the carpet underneath… I would want to launder the bath mats from time-to-time, but they all seem to be double-sided sticky stuff - can anyone suggest something like I’m looking for? :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

I could do with the same Piwacket but they all seem to be adhesive.

I must say I had not looked at this topic until today because the title did not seem to be immediately obvious to my feeble mind.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bam wrote: 02 Mar 2022 15:03 I could do with the same Piwacket but they all seem to be adhesive.

I must say I had not looked at this topic until today because the title did not seem to be immediately obvious to my feeble mind.

The Topic just started this morning.

I just feel somewhere in the back of my mind that I’ve seen that sort of gripper :?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

You need to somehow attach the opposite part of the Velcro to the carpet but I can’t think how without using double sided tape.
BY Paulo Coelho
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

You can get a material that looks a bit like a large, sticky string vest that goes between the mat and the floor which is very good. Something like this from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profilo-Premiu ... 00AKH31X6/ - although there is cheaper stuff you can get.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Look up rug grippers or rug underlay - for carpeted floors
Loads listed but you need to check as some are only for on hard floors!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 02 Mar 2022 15:46 You can get a material that looks a bit like a large, sticky string vest that goes between the mat and the floor which is very good. Something like this from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profilo-Premiu ... 00AKH31X6/ - although there is cheaper stuff you can get.
That's the stuff for onto Hard Floors - an example oo one for Carpeted Floors is -
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I know people that have used it successfully for carpeted floors as well. You can also use that material to stop other items moving about, e.g. coffee cups on sailing boats.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 02 Mar 2022 16:04 I know people that have used it successfully for carpeted floors as well. You can also use that material to stop other items moving about, e.g. coffee cups on sailing boats.
I know the stuff you mean, we’ve got a few odd bits left over from years ago. Sadly Imdont think any are big enough to serve this purpose in order to try it.
OLDMAN wrote: 02 Mar 2022 15:51 Look up rug grippers or rug underlay - for carpeted floors
Loads listed but you need to check as some are only for on hard floors!
Yes, I’ve done that - looked through a lot of them - many have very poor reviews!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 02 Mar 2022 15:45 You need to somehow attach the opposite part of the Velcro to the carpet but I can’t think how without using double sided tape.
Yes, that’s the problem Liz - we don’t want to stick anything to the carpet underneath.. I’d thought just the ‘hooked’ part would attach to the carpet - but no.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I tried the plastic mesh but did not work very well on carpet to carpet when l had a runner in the hall to protect the new carpet. Finding something that does not leave a mark is challenging.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

piwacket wrote: 02 Mar 2022 16:36
Fed-up wrote: 02 Mar 2022 16:04 I know people that have used it successfully for carpeted floors as well. You can also use that material to stop other items moving about, e.g. coffee cups on sailing boats.
I know the stuff you mean, we’ve got a few odd bits left over from years ago. Sadly Imdont think any are big enough to serve this purpose in order to try it.
This is from the chandlers at Scours Lane - https://www.readingmarinechandlery.co.u ... -slip-mat/ - only £4 if you want to give it a go. If it doesn't work then you can probably find uses for it (under plant pots etc) and it won't break the bank.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 02 Mar 2022 17:03 This is from the chandlers at Scours Lane - https://www.readingmarinechandlery.co.u ... -slip-mat/ - only £4 if you want to give it a go. If it doesn't work then you can probably find uses for it (under plant pots etc) and it won't break the bank.
That’s great, thanks.
I have just put what bits we have under them… just to see :whistle1:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Try sticking two pieces of the hooked side of a piece of Velcro together back to back then put the hook side downwards onto the carpet and put another piece on your bath mat with the loop side down onto the hooked bit. Does that make sense? It does to me 🤪
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 02 Mar 2022 20:21 Try sticking two pieces of the hooked side of a piece of Velcro together back to back then put the hook side downwards onto the carpet and put another piece on your bath mat with the loop side down onto the hooked bit. Does that make sense? It does to me 🤪
:)) no!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

A question - I’ve been doing Wordle and a friend invited me to a FB discussion group about it. Twice I have seen people refer to Y as a vowel, where as I’m pretty certain I was taught the vowels are a,e, I, o, u …so am I wrong, is it an Americanism, or have things changed since I was at school ?
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Some on the internet seem to claim that it can be , but I would put that on the same level as that the world will endnext year unless we all repent. Probably American in origin- there are some "nut jobs" around, as Americans would say
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 02 Mar 2022 21:21 A question - I’ve been doing Wordle and a friend invited me to a FB discussion group about it. Twice I have seen people refer to Y as a vowel, where as I’m pretty certain I was taught the vowels are a,e, I, o, u …so am I wrong, is it an Americanism, or have things changed since I was at school ?
Hmm - well our English master taught that Y is mainly used as a vowel - derived I think from ancient Latin or Greek(?). It can be used as a consonant when starting a word - such as yacht, yes, yard, yellow and so on, however in most words it could be replaced by ‘i’ and is only used to distinguish different meanings eg die/dye, and at the ends of words such as day it gives an inflection that would not be quite right, in the English spoken language, as the letter I would be too harsh. :shrug1:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Ok get two pieces of Velcro stick them together with double sided tape, put it hook side down onto the carpet. Stick another piece of Velcro onto the back of the bath mat and press it down onto to the Velcro on the carpet so you don’t need to stick it to the carpet because the Velcro should grip it and if you match up the loop side on the back of the bath mat with the hook side on the carpet, bingo! I wish I could draw it for you.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 02 Mar 2022 22:15 Ok get two pieces of Velcro stick them together with double sided tape, put it hook side down onto the carpet. Stick another piece of Velcro onto the back of the bath mat and press it down onto to the Velcro on the carpet so you don’t need to stick it to the carpet because the Velcro should grip it and if you match up the loop side on the back of the bath mat with the hook side on the carpet, bingo! I wish I could draw it for you.
Umm - that seems to contradict what you then say? I think I’d better read it again in the morning :))
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’ll draw it for you!
BY Paulo Coelho
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

lizwing wrote: 02 Mar 2022 20:21 Try sticking two pieces of the hooked side of a piece of Velcro together back to back then put the hook side downwards onto the carpet and put another piece on your bath mat with the loop side down onto the hooked bit. Does that make sense? It does to me 🤪
Good one - but make sure it’s the Hook to Hook type as I don’t think the Hook to ‘Fluffy stuff’ style would do much
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

piwacket wrote: 02 Mar 2022 22:11 Hmm - well our English master taught that Y is mainly used as a vowel - derived I think from ancient Latin or Greek(?). It can be used as a consonant when starting a word - such as yacht, yes, yard, yellow and so on, however in most words it could be replaced by ‘i’ and is only used to distinguish different meanings eg die/dye, and at the ends of words such as day it gives an inflection that would not be quite right, in the English spoken language, as the letter I would be too harsh. :shrug1:
I think you are demonstrating the superiority of the Scottish educational system over the English there. What you say is absolutely true, always has been, and has nothing to do with whether you are American or not, or indeed if you are French or not. It is a consequence of the way we shape our mouth to make sounds, and has as much to do with biology as it has with linguistics.

Sadly that was obviously all a bit too complicated for the English education system, at least in the part of England I was brung up in, so they tended to over-simplify it. I remember being present when my grammar school's head of Biology nearly came to blows with the head of English on the subject.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 03 Mar 2022 14:55 I think you are demonstrating the superiority of the Scottish educational system over the English there. What you say is absolutely true, always has been, and has nothing to do with whether you are American or not, or indeed if you are French or not. It is a consequence of the way we shape our mouth to make sounds, and has as much to do with biology as it has with linguistics.

Sadly that was obviously all a bit too complicated for the English education system, at least in the part of England I was brung up in, so they tended to over-simplify it. I remember being present when my grammar school's head of Biology nearly came to blows with the head of English on the subject.
Haha Chris :) At the time, yes it was superior - I was a couple of years ahead - in everything - of my contemporaries when I moved here.
Most certainly that rule was taught in Scotland… but I have to concede the English Master at school here also taught the same - but he was a stickler for ‘good’ English, well-spoken, with clear enunciation, good grammar and spelling too - he moved away a couple of years after I left, so whether his successor taught the same way I don’t know.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

See if this explains my idea Pi
BY Paulo Coelho

Return to “Chatty Person”