Speeding

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Souwester
Super Contributor

Speeding

Post by Souwester »

Many people bemoan the regular traffic jams that often blight the town, but outside of peak hours (particularly from mid-evening onwards) the roads can be quite light on traffic. It seems to me that many of the main routes like London Road, Kings Road, Forbury Road, and Vastern Road, all of which are 30mph zones, become 40-50mph zones, and stretches of the A33 and A4, which are subject to a 40mph limit, become 50+ zones.

In very nearly three years here I have never ever seen a speed-check in operation. Do they ever happen? I'm surprised that with such frequent and blatant disregard for the speed limits that there aren't more fixed speed cameras. Do the ones that exist actually work? I saw a documentary recently where it was claimed that a number of police forces had no working cameras.
OLDMAN

Re: Speeding

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve seen many s’camera vans along all those roads, and in recent months so yes they are about - just at odd times?

Not sure about the static cameras but can say many around Reading are being replaced with the new digital / WiFi ones
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Souwester wrote: 22 Feb 2022 13:02 Many people bemoan the regular traffic jams that often blight the town, but outside of peak hours (particularly from mid-evening onwards) the roads can be quite light on traffic. It seems to me that many of the main routes like London Road, Kings Road, Forbury Road, and Vastern Road, all of which are 30mph zones, become 40-50mph zones, and stretches of the A33 and A4, which are subject to a 40mph limit, become 50+ zones.

In very nearly three years here I have never ever seen a speed-check in operation. Do they ever happen? I'm surprised that with such frequent and blatant disregard for the speed limits that there aren't more fixed speed cameras. Do the ones that exist actually work? I saw a documentary recently where it was claimed that a number of police forces had no working cameras.
Yes, there was one on the Henley Road only last week and that’s a fairly common spot for them
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

A regular one is top of Shepherds Hill, doing cars going up - a mate got caught by that one as he came off the roundabout at the bottom doing about 45 in the 40mph limit - he said he slowed when he saw the van at the top not realising already on camera!
Going down the sometimes have one on the grass verge just past the big hedge.............
Kings Rd used to have one in the bus layby but got that stopped – they do have one in the College gateway late nights on occasions
They’ve had one on London Rd at times as have been shown / told about the results – but don’t know where they set that one up!

Also been shown / told about the results from others in East Reading as presented by local police at our meetings – it’s all included in their report on general crime figures for the area
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Not really relevant to Reading I know but when they dualled the A61 Penistone Road from Sheffield city centre to Hillsborough I drove along it in the lorry at 6am several times weekly and spotted a Police motorcycle parked with the rider crouched down on the footpath seemingly attending to the engine. Next day, and the day after, he was there again and I then noticed the camera resting on his pannier bag, I often wondered how many he caught! :-)

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

windrush wrote: 25 Feb 2022 10:40 Not really relevant to Reading I know but when they dualled the A61 Penistone Road from Sheffield city centre to Hillsborough I drove along it in the lorry at 6am several times weekly and spotted a Police motorcycle parked with the rider crouched down on the footpath seemingly attending to the engine. Next day, and the day after, he was there again and I then noticed the camera resting on his pannier bag, I often wondered how many he caught! :-)

Pete.
Are they not supposed to be in plain sight, Windy?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

windrush wrote: 25 Feb 2022 10:40 Not really relevant to Reading I know but when they dualled the A61 Penistone Road from Sheffield city centre to Hillsborough I drove along it in the lorry at 6am several times weekly and spotted a Police motorcycle parked with the rider crouched down on the footpath seemingly attending to the engine. Next day, and the day after, he was there again and I then noticed the camera resting on his pannier bag, I often wondered how many he caught! :-)

Pete.
Yes, some of them can be really quite sneaky. I seem to have a sixth sense and somehow have only had three speeding tickets in the 35/36 years since fixed penalty offences were introduced in either 1985 or 1986, despite having driven about 900k miles. My claim to fame is that I was one of the first in the country to receive one at 00:38 on 1st October, of whichever year it was!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Feb 2022 11:13 [Are they not supposed to be in plain sight, Windy?
Like Sou’wester, I too was caught 3 times in the early days by the sneaky tactics. Never going really fast, but yes over the limit by a short measure… all along Wilderness Road - once at something like 12.30am, returning from the theatre. They may have to be in plain sight, but they certainly weren’t then.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Yes, there's been ACPO guidance since at least 2000 about speed camera placement - basically they have to be on relatively straight bits of road and not hidden and pretty visible; they don't want swathes of people only spotting them at the last second and then panic- braking, as that's a surefire recipe for accidents.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Feb 2022 11:13

Pete.
Um, surely if our esteemed Derbyshire correspondent spotted him, then he likely was in plain sight. If he was hiding behind a bush it might have been different, but I'm pretty sure the courts would regard the presence of a large, garishly painted police motorbike on the side of the road as being plenty enough to satisfy the 'in plain sight' requirement.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

chris_j_wood wrote: 25 Feb 2022 14:36

Pete.
Um, surely if our esteemed Derbyshire correspondent spotted him, then he likely was in plain sight. If he was hiding behind a bush it might have been different, but I'm pretty sure the courts would regard the presence of a large, garishly painted police motorbike on the side of the road as being plenty enough to satisfy the 'in plain sight' requirement.
Yeah thanks for that state the obvious.

I meant as a point of law. Are traffic police - or ‘whoever’ to satisfy the pedants - not supposed to be visible when they point their speed detector guns at your vehicle?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 25 Feb 2022 15:19
chris_j_wood wrote: 25 Feb 2022 14:36

Yeah thanks for that state the obvious.

I meant as a point of law. Are traffic police - or ‘whoever’ to satisfy the pedants - not supposed to be visible when they point their speed detector guns at your vehicle?
This document makes numerous references to the ACPO code; it's not actually a legal requirement, but breaching it would rather undermine the case against you, since it would mean that it was being operated in a manner which was not in accordance with the prescribed procedure.
Such requirements include
“Except in exceptional operational circumstances, devices should normally be operated from positions where they will be clearly visible to the public.” (ACPO Code, section 5)
"The operator should always choose a site, which affords them and other road users maximum safety with regard to any potential hazard and must consider the minimum distance a driver will take to react and brake safely to stop." (ACPO Code, section 9.1)
“High visibility clothing must be worn by those officers working at the roadside.” (ACPO Code, section 9.1)
“Satisfactory operation of the device depends on the correct positioning and alignment of the radar. It should be positioned as near the traffic flow of interest as is convenient and it should face a straight section of road.” (ACPO Code, section 10.1)
“Care should be taken to ensure the camera housing is not obscured by signs or foliage to prevent the mistaken perception cameras are hidden to ’trap‘ motorists.” (ACPO Code, section 15.4)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ah, thank you Poo. That sounds sensible.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Pooneil wrote: 25 Feb 2022 20:21This document makes numerous references to the ACPO code; it's not actually a legal requirement, but breaching it would rather undermine the case against you, since it would mean that it was being operated in a manner which was not in accordance with the prescribed procedure.
Such requirements include
“Except in exceptional operational circumstances, devices should normally be operated from positions where they will be clearly visible to the public.” (ACPO Code, section 5)
"The operator should always choose a site, which affords them and other road users maximum safety with regard to any potential hazard and must consider the minimum distance a driver will take to react and brake safely to stop." (ACPO Code, section 9.1)
“High visibility clothing must be worn by those officers working at the roadside.” (ACPO Code, section 9.1)
“Satisfactory operation of the device depends on the correct positioning and alignment of the radar. It should be positioned as near the traffic flow of interest as is convenient and it should face a straight section of road.” (ACPO Code, section 10.1)
“Care should be taken to ensure the camera housing is not obscured by signs or foliage to prevent the mistaken perception cameras are hidden to ’trap‘ motorists.” (ACPO Code, section 15.4)
Interesting reading!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I remember back in the 80’s a woman who lived next door told us she nearly ran a police officer over due to ‘sneaky tactics’
She worked for Britannia Springs driving the delivery van and often carried large sums of cash on the return journeys as many transport companies / garages etc paid in cash back then
One day doing just that a ‘bloke’ jumped out from behind a hedge and pointed a ‘gun’ at the van so thinking she was about to be robbed or worse she drove at him and he jumped backed into the hedge – just along the road was police car so she stopped an told them what happened
Turned out it was a copper with a ‘speed gun’ – problem was he was in shirt sleeves and no helmet so no one could tell if an officer - they let her off though as they were in the wrong

And had to smile Friday afternoon after leaving work - although not in Reading - a scamera van was on the DC as you go out of Basingstoke
I’ve seen it there before – it sits on the grass central reservation, just before the last set of lights coming up the A33, back of the van / camera facing South, it’s on a long sweeping RH bend and you can’t see it clearly when driving along there – and it’s a stretch where many do race as the road goes single lane just after the lights
And its craftily set up as they leave the back doors open so you ‘cannot’ see the camera warning signs on the back, so looks like a white contractors van parked up by the lights!
It’s been like that each of the 6 times I’ve seen it over the last 2ysr
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”