Horseshoe bridge to be restored

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
OLDMAN

Re: Horseshoe bridge to be restored

Post by OLDMAN »

Its used to but I thought not so bad now as they raised it a bit when ‘refurbished’ – it was part of Tesco’s ‘remit’ for moving there to sort it out and add gates / paths from it into their car park

I remember up until then it used to be a very muddy / rough track that was never looked after
One time it eroded away for about 10yds to the point completely unpassable and the fence was hanging in mid-air as went beyond that
We had to cut through a hole in the fence further back and through the slag piles, then come out into the old cricket pitch by KM
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

OLDMAN wrote: 17 Feb 2022 09:10 Its used to but I thought not so bad now as they raised it a bit when ‘refurbished’ – it was part of Tesco’s ‘remit’ for moving there to sort it out and add gates / paths from it into their car park
It's been flooded and impassable on at least two occasions (each time for quite some days I think) since I've been here (almost three years).. around Christmas 2019 and early last year.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Souwester wrote: 17 Feb 2022 11:26
OLDMAN wrote: 17 Feb 2022 09:10 Its used to but I thought not so bad now as they raised it a bit when ‘refurbished’ – it was part of Tesco’s ‘remit’ for moving there to sort it out and add gates / paths from it into their car park
It's been flooded and impassable on at least two occasions (each time for quite some days I think) since I've been here (almost three years).. around Christmas 2019 and early last year.
Obviously didn't raise it enough! :shrug1:
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

OLDMAN wrote: 15 Feb 2022 11:32
It’s just a plain rough tarmac path running between the river and a fence with access opening through to the Tesco site – it continues along between the river and KM until the lock area / Reading Bridge etc
It's horrible to cycle along as tree roots have lifted the tarmac in places creating ridges and some of the branches are very low down meaning only one side of the path is useable.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

The towpath is meant to be semi rural (or as near rural as a riverside path next to a railway, river and canal in a town can be)
I’d hate to see it raised, tarmaced like a residential road and stripped back because a riverside path floods now and again
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

dave m wrote: 18 Feb 2022 12:17 The towpath is meant to be semi rural (or as near rural as a riverside path next to a railway, river and canal in a town can be)
I’d hate to see it raised, tarmaced like a residential road and stripped back because a riverside path floods now and again
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, as I don't have strong feelings either way. That stretch of towpath is very well used by people from Newtown to get to Tesco, and I'm sure they'd appreciate a more reliable path. If you want 'semi-rural' there is, of course, an opening into the woods right by the foot of the steps to the bridge that you can follow all the way to Tesco and beyond.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 18 Feb 2022 10:25
OLDMAN wrote: 15 Feb 2022 11:32
It’s just a plain rough tarmac path running between the river and a fence with access opening through to the Tesco site – it continues along between the river and KM until the lock area / Reading Bridge etc
It's horrible to cycle along as tree roots have lifted the tarmac in places creating ridges and some of the branches are very low down meaning only one side of the path is useable.
Interesting as a I looked the other day to see if a designated cycle route but nothing however neither is the other route of the other bridge / using the underpass which is odd as that has cycleway signs on it (when I last went down there a few weeks ago) and they made a big thing about cyclists being able to use the Napier Rd underpass
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

shrinkingman wrote: 14 Feb 2022 18:20 What's the state of the towpath between the bridge and Kings Meadow these days? Admittedly it's been many moons since I last ventured that way but it didn't used to be particularly wheelchair friendly along there. It was barely pedestrian friendly in some places.
Workmen have been patching it up over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Where the path was very uneven due to tree roots growing underneath, they've dug out and re-done the path. It's much flatter now.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”