BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

General chat forum
Souwester
Super Contributor

Re: BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

Post by Souwester »

mikejee wrote: 10 Feb 2022 11:44 So this is criminal?
No, but it is yet another negative comment on Reading.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Souwester wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:26
mikejee wrote: 10 Feb 2022 11:44 So this is criminal?
No, but it is yet another negative comment on Reading.
4 hours parking in Festival Place is £4.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Oh for a £8n fine for continual off-topic posts
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Fed-up wrote: 10 Feb 2022 07:21 I back into car parking spaces because it is easier to get out of them, especially if someone else parks inconsiderately near you.
My Dad always backed into spaces, and onto the driveway because he said that it was more fuel efficient to maneuver when the engine was warm, rather than reverse when it was cold. The only problem I have now is that I'm incapable of driving into a space - I have to back in!
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Who backs in a parking space when they're doing a food shop or need to load the boot up? Yep, I've witnessed those idiots. Then they struggle to get their shopping in because a car has parked behind them...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

mikejee wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:42 Oh for a £8n fine for continual off-topic posts
Precisely - the cost of Parking - where-ever - or whether backing a car is good thung or not - is not a Warning of criminal activity! It’s :offtopic1:
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 10 Feb 2022 13:24 Who backs in a parking space when they're doing a food shop or need to load the boot up? Yep, I've witnessed those idiots. Then they struggle to get their shopping in because a car has parked behind them...
I try to park in spaces where I'm unlikely to get boxed in behind. I've seen so many near misses when people have been reversing out of car parking spaces that I never do it. It's just not safe.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I park next to the most expensive car I can see. They’re not going to want to ding theirs on mine, lol.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I park next to nobody if I can. Especially in supermarkets. Get a bit of extra exercise with the extra steps from the far side of the car park.

BUT more often than not, some idiot has parked right next to me when I return. Despite plenty of the other spaces free.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

There's been a spate of burglaries in the Katesgrove area of Reading.

Needless to say, keep an eye out.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I went past The Victoria pub at the top of Norcot yesterday about 5:30pm and the pub was taped off by police. There was a riot van, an unmarked BMW X5, another police car and ambulance on the scene.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 13 Feb 2022 09:13 I went past The Victoria pub at the top of Norcot yesterday about 5:30pm and the pub was taped off by police. There was a riot van, an unmarked BMW X5, another police car and ambulance on the scene.
Police appeal for witnesses.

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... paign=Orlo
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I think ‘Be Aware’ of all the high levels of crime in Tilehurst, especially stabbings, as it does seem to be an ongoing thing over there
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

A lady also had her bag snatched from outside Costa Coffee at The Triangle in Tilehurst last week.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Yes but again that’s old news – this thread is to make people aware of potential problems NOT to report existing crimes that have been in the news

Hence my ‘warning’ that there is a lot of knife crime in the area, and now possibly a lot of muggings
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So don't tell people what's happened. Use your crystal ball and tell people what might happen.

Gotya!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

You seem to misunderstand - warn that things are happening in an area etc, but it doesn't need each individual crime report in the news being blathered about on this thread as that is trolling for no good reason

A good example can be seen how an Earley residents thread goes on FB - people mention on there cars have been broken into / damaged in an area, and warn others its happening and to be aware - but NO mention of the reports in the news are they come out 'after' the actual events

This thread is supposed to be the same

Simple really
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 14 Feb 2022 09:35 You seem to misunderstand - warn that things are happening in an area etc
I did. The incident at The Victoria pub, at the time I didn't know what happened. And the woman having her bag snatched.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

So as you understand why the stupid trolling comment about crystal balls?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 14 Feb 2022 09:45 So as you understand why the stupid trolling comment about crystal balls?
I think we get crossed wires a lot of the time OM.

I don't know what the initial issue is tbh. I posted about an incident at The Victoria and about the bag snatching incident.

What was the problem with posting about them?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 11:11 I don't know what the initial issue is tbh. I posted about an incident at The Victoria and about the bag snatching incident.

…. Because it’s an incident that happened - it’s done with… unless of course it’s a regular occurrence at The Victoria which those that visit should be aware of ….?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 14 Feb 2022 11:28
ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 11:11 I don't know what the initial issue is tbh. I posted about an incident at The Victoria and about the bag snatching incident.

…. Because it’s an incident that happened - it’s done with… unless of course it’s a regular occurrence at The Victoria which those that visit should be aware of ….?
It isn't "done with" though is it?

The police are appealing for witnesses.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:22 It isn't "done with" though is it?
… but it’s a ‘one-off’ incident, that the point, and it’s been reported in the press!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:25
… but it’s a ‘one-off’ incident, that the point, and it’s been reported in the press!
Is it? Another stabbing back in 2020.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... tilehurst/
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OK. So don't mention any crime that could later be reported on by the press. Is that right?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:29

STOP PRESS - OMG - hideous serial murder!! We’re all going to dieeeee. https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berks ... y-20529967

FFS give it a rest.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:32 OK. So don't mention any crime that could later be reported on by the press. Is that right?
I would refer you to the post at the start of this thread:

This Topic is intended to warn or report localised incidents - maybe in your area.
Scam emails, phone calls, texts, burglaries vandalism, bicycle thefts, distraction thefts. Pickpockets ‘lying’ beggars, ‘dodgy’ door knockers -and other similar incidents that you know of.

A spate of burglaries in an area clearly falls into that description. Reports of seeing a load of police somewhere 12 hours ago does not. Neither does a violent fight between people at a pub, especially as the Detective Chief Inspector has said "We believe that the victim and offenders are known to each other, and so there is no wider threat to the local community." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-60367344 (my use of bold)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:34

STOP PRESS - OMG - hideous serial murder!! We’re all going to dieeeee. https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berks ... y-20529967

FFS give it a rest.
I wish these idiots with knives would give it rest!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pooneil wrote: 14 Feb 2022 13:03
ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:32 OK. So don't mention any crime that could later be reported on by the press. Is that right?

This Topic is intended to warn or report localised incidents - maybe in your area.
Scam emails, phone calls, texts, burglaries vandalism, bicycle thefts, distraction thefts. Pickpockets ‘lying’ beggars, ‘dodgy’ door knockers -and other similar incidents that you know of.

A spate of burglaries in an area clearly falls into that description. Reports of seeing a load of police somewhere 12 hours ago does not. Neither does a violent fight between people at a pub, especially as the Detective Chief Inspector has said "We believe that the victim and offenders are known to each other, and so there is no wider threat to the local community." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-60367344 (my use of bold)
TVP are asking for witnesses though.

So it may be useful if people know about this incident and share the information. Clearly some may have missed it, as they did with the Nando's incident the other week.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 14:11
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 14 Feb 2022 12:34

FFS give it a rest.
I wish these idiots with knives would give it rest!
Not all idiots have knives
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

No, but some have loud voices and big mouths
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 14:13
Pooneil wrote: 14 Feb 2022 13:03

So it may be useful if people know about this incident and share the information. Clearly some may have missed it, as they did with the Nando's incident the other week.
Anybody who missed the stabbing isn't going to be much use as a witness...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pooneil wrote: 14 Feb 2022 15:15
ChipbuttyG wrote: 14 Feb 2022 14:13
Pooneil wrote: 14 Feb 2022 13:03 I would refer you to the post at the start of this thread:

Anybody who missed the stabbing isn't going to be much use as a witness...
You can miss a news story but witness the crime or the aftermath. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Return to “Chatty Person”