BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

General chat forum
piwacket

BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

Post by piwacket »

Please do not post reports on incidents of a very serious nature in the town - these will have been covered by the local media outlets such as GetReading or Berkshire Live,maybe even the BBC. The Police will be dealing with them.
This Topic is intended to warn or report localised incidents - maybe in your area.
Scam emails, phone calls, texts, burglaries vandalism, bicycle thefts, distraction thefts. Pickpockets ‘lying’ beggars, ‘dodgy’ door knockers -and other similar incidents that you know of. Traveller problems are dealt with under a separate Topic!
The intention is to warn members and families or your friends to be aware and be on the look-out!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Hooped
Super Contributor

Re: BE AWARE! Localised criminal activities!

Post by Hooped »

First thing I want to say is that if you receive a dodgy text, regardless of which company you are with, forward it to 7726. You will then receive a text asking you to provide the number that went the text to you, and once you've done that, you'll get a text thanking you.

My next point is to flag a scam that has been reported on national TV, and which was tried on me a couple of days ago. You get a call from someone who says they are from Carphone Warehouse. They offer you a new iPhone at a bargain price. You provide your personal details. A few days later, your phone arrives, but it's not the model you ordered. You call them on the number they gave you for any problems. They say they are sorry - just send the phone to the special address they have for this sort of thing. You never actually receive the replacement phone; the number you called is no longer working; your bank account starts getting charged for the cost of the phone you sent back; the scammers have the phone and your bank details.

It's worth noting that Carphone Warehouse is now owned by Currys, who have said that their staff no longer use the name Carphone Warehouse when making calls.
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

It would be a fool that would buy anything at all from a cold caller and I doubt that even someone with dementia would be in that market.

Simple advice is never converse with any phone call unless you recognise the caller as a friend. Just ignore totally.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So to clarify - Don't mention shootings and stabbings, but you can mention non serious crimes of your home being violated by burglars or being scammed out of thousands£ ?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 06 Feb 2022 11:31 So to clarify - Don't mention shootings and stabbings, but you can mention non serious crimes of your home being violated by burglars or being scammed out of thousands£ ?
Yes, that’s right :)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Just to put people straight - the ‘Crime in Reading’ thread OP started it to ask about crime figures finding them and nothing more, but it did creep into some posts mentioning things happening such as scams which don’t always make the news but nice to be aware of - but NO reports of crime sas such
That carried on for a while and the thread had run its course and was left
A year later it was resurrected by someone talking about reported crime - from then it degenerated into just lots of reports of ‘reported’ crime – which as mentioned we all know about as in the news, and the fact it’s the same across the country
To carry on like that is merely trolling and not required

This thread is meant to be similar to the road problems one - to post about things that may help others if not widely / publicly known about
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Feb 2022 08:00 Just to put people straight - the ‘Crime in Reading’ thread OP started it to ask about crime figures finding them and nothing more, but it did creep into some posts mentioning things happening such as scams which don’t always make the news but nice to be aware of - but NO reports of crime sas such
That carried on for a while and the thread had run its course and was left
A year later it was resurrected by someone talking about reported crime - from then it degenerated into just lots of reports of ‘reported’ crime – which as mentioned we all know about as in the news, and the fact it’s the same across the country
To carry on like that is merely trolling and not required

This thread is meant to be similar to the road problems one - to post about things that may help others if not widely / publicly known about
The thread was called "Crime in Reading" not "Crime which is the same across the country".

It's easy to miss news stories about crime as many of you didn't know of or struggled to find the Nando's stabbing story from a week or two back. So when you say "we all know about in the news" - that simply wasn't the case in the aforementioned Nando's incident.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

We all know the news about crime, and where to find it if we’re that interested. Maybe we’re not that interested 🤷🏻‍♀️

As already said, as a rule majority of posters on sites add a link to articles, stats, other websites etc, that they are referring to in their post, as evidence of their source, a courtesy to others and for information.

OM and Pi, both moderators, have been very clear as to the purpose of this particular thread. Probably not a good idea to mess with them and cause mischief for the sake of it.IMHO of course
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2022 09:48 We all know the news about crime, and where to find it if we’re that interested.
But clearly the Nando's incident rebuffs this claim? People didn't know about and struggled to find the news story.

Any way. I won't mentioned any more stabbings etc from now on.
Last edited by ChipbuttyG on 07 Feb 2022 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:03
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2022 09:48 We all know the news about crime, and where to find it if we’re that interested.
But clearly the Nando's incident rebuffs this claim? People didn't know about and struggled to find the news story.
Because you didn’t post the link.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:05
But you said "we all know the news about crime" - so why would you need a link?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Chipbutty, If you don’t want to use this thread for it’s designated purpose, then don’t, but please don’t litter up other threads with tales of murders, etc either.
We’ve made it as clear as possible what this thread is for, take it or leave it.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

ChipbuttyG wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:08
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:05

But you said "we all know the news about crime" - so why would you need a link?
You’re off topic and I’m not interested in arguing the toss with you. I’ve said all I’m going to in this and won’t engage with you further. As Mayfield suggested either use this thread for its designated purpose or don’t bother.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Re-appeal for specific witnesses following aggravated burglary – Earley

https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news ... paign=Orlo
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

There was a large police presence on the Oxford Road last night. Around 8pm ish. No idea what was going on.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

New phone scam, at least to me, this morning. Someone claiming I was eligible for a personal alarm. Well, we are all eligible for most things it's just that we have to pay something as well.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Over the last few months I e had several calls, always a very pleasant young man telling me he’s a local energy advisor. The first time it happened I let him tell me what he was ringing for, it was to tell me that my loft insulation was insufficient and needed replacing and that I could get a grant to have it done . At that point I told him I wasn’t interested and put the phone down. I’m assuming this isn’t genuine, how would anyone know what state our loft insulation is in anyway. It’s actually very good, about a foot deep.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

C A Versham and Lizwing, are you signed up to the telephone preference service?

Where I live cold calling at the door or by phone has been illegal since 2016. Uk need to catch up.
Last edited by Bam on 08 Feb 2022 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 08 Feb 2022 15:47 New phone scam, at least to me, this morning. Someone claiming I was eligible for a personal alarm. Well, we are all eligible for most things it's just that we have to pay something as well.
We’ve just had that too :)
lizwing wrote: 08 Feb 2022 17:05 Over the last few months I e had several calls, always a very pleasant young man telling me he’s a local energy advisor. The first time it happened I let him tell me what he was ringing for, it was to tell me that my loft insulation was insufficient and needed replacing and that I could get a grant to have it done . At that point I told him I wasn’t interested and put the phone down. I’m assuming this isn’t genuine, how would anyone know what state our loft insulation is in anyway. It’s actually very good, about a foot deep.
Yes we’ve had that too - trying it on! But I guess there are those who will invite strangers into the house to inspect the loft ….
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

They’d have to get past OH and his baseball bat !
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Yep, same here with the loft thing. Bores me, TBH. I always ask them why they don’t get a proper job rather than scam people. That tends to shut them up. The younger Voice repeatedly says ‘potato’ until they give up. Last loft scammer I had, was a rather nicely spoken British lad. No background noise either, which is quite unusual - especially when we’re used to getting calls from ‘Graham’ in Bangalore.....
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

If I can be bothered to answer the phone to a scammer (only about 3 people know my home phone number) then I normally answer "Anti Terrorist Hotline". That normally gets rid of them very quickly. Don't tend to get too many calls nowadays for some reason (famous last words).
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Fed-up wrote: 08 Feb 2022 17:37 If I can be bothered to answer the phone to a scammer (only about 3 people know my home phone number) then I normally answer "Anti Terrorist Hotline". That normally gets rid of them very quickly. Don't tend to get too many calls nowadays for some reason (famous last words).
Ooo, good one - I’m stealing that!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

WARNING TO READING RESIDENTS

We're seeing an increase in keyless car thefts across the Thames Valley Automobile Key

Criminals only need to be within metres of your car key to capture the signal!
https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/poli ... +car+theft
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:21 We're seeing an increase in keyless car thefts across the Thames Valley Automobile Key
No wonder, if we only have one car key between us across the entire Thames Valley!. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
ChipbuttyG wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:21 Criminals only need to be within metres of your car key to capture the signal!
In truth, this is quite worrying. Short of dismantling my key fob to extract the emergency physical key hidden inside it, and then dismantling the driver's door handle to get at the lock to insert said key, I have no way of locking or unlocking my car other than using a proximity signal like this.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Is there not a skeleton type key wi5in your fob, Chris? There is mine. I keep my key as far away from the front door as I can, and in a foil envelope in my bag.

The Alledged likes to surf and I got him one of these for Christmas https://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/surflog ... black.html
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 09 Feb 2022 15:47 Is there not a skeleton type key wi5in your fob, Chris? There is mine. I keep my key as far away from the front door as I can, and in a foil envelope in my bag.
Yes, there is, that is what I meant by the emergency physical key. But the only lock to put it into is hidden under the outside handle of the driver's door, and you have to pop-off the handle to get at it. Once the AA man has shown you how to do it, it is just about do-able if you ever let the battery go flat again (what, me?), but not remotely practical to do it every time you park or return to your car.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ooooh, right, I see. I’m made to replace both the batteries for the two key fobs at the same time when we do ours 🙄.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Is not technology wonderful it certainly makes life easier, I think not. I had a skeleton key once , but the bones fell apart. ☠️
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 09 Feb 2022 14:21 WARNING TO READING RESIDENTS

We're seeing an increase in keyless car thefts across the Thames Valley Automobile Key

Criminals only need to be within metres of your car key to capture the signal!
Given that my key is so feeble even my iPhone can stop it working from 2 feet away, I don't think I'll worry. More to the point would be the catalytic converter, which is at the front of the car, and not the back, as all those people who back into parking spaces erroneously believe...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Ollycat wrote: 09 Feb 2022 17:49 More to the point would be the catalytic converter, which is at the front of the car, and not the back, as all those people who back into parking spaces erroneously believe...
I back into car parking spaces because it is far safer.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I back into car parking spaces because it is easier to get out of them, especially if someone else parks inconsiderately near you.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Having your Cat’C stolen comes down to several things and how you park is the least of the worries
Some cars don’t get touched as not worth much in scrap value compared to effort of stealing them – other cars the Cats are worth more and in some cases easier to steal
Some are harder to remove but worth the effort as high value due to the higher levels of palladium in them

Vans / 4x4’s / SUV’s are god targets as often don’t even need jacking up – as for parking the only real no-no is parking on a kerb or similar as that allows a big gap under some ‘normal’ vehicles so no jacking 5erquired
In all these cases a good Cat thief can remove one in about 30’s – it’s the jacking up etc that takes time
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I've noticed Queens Road car parking charges have increased again.

A 4 hour stay will set you back £8.90.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

So this is criminal?

Return to “Chatty Person”