Romantic Reading!

chat about the town here ...
MrsKaur
Contributor

Romantic Reading!

Post by MrsKaur »

What and where are the romantic spots in and near to Reading?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Re: Romantic Reading!

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Henley or Sonning.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

What makes Henley or Sonning "romantic"?
I'd have thought a nice stroll along the river or promenade down by Caversham bridge.
You could walk hand-in-hand down by the old brewery and reminisce as to how it used to be or walk round Huntley & Palmers and lament their passing.
You could take a cuppa in Patisserie Valerie and imagine Walsinghams house was still on that spot and imagine him as Spy-master in chief to Elizabeth I
The Butts Centre is ..... no perhaps not.
The Holy Brook running through and under the town is .... hmm again perhaps not
You could maybe walk along Friar Street and see how big money has decimated and continues to decimate old parts of the town and how our councillors (bless them) rake-up all the spilled cash.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I’d quite fancy a chug down the Thames in a boat or on the tea barge. London Street Brasserie is nice as are most of the parks and gardens in the spring. You can have a fancy lunch with Prosecco in Forbury’s or cocktails in the Roseate, our five star hotel.

There’s a National Trust property at Basildon and Pangbourne is lovely to stroll round. The walkers on this forum have often mentioned Streatley and Sonning - the bridges are bedecked with flowers and a coffee by the river at The Swan wouldn’t break the Es plenty of nice places, if you look for them.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I can't profess to being a romantic, but the following spring to mind...

The Promenade along the Thames beyond Caversham Bridge
Caversham Court on the north bank of the Thames
Forbury Gardens
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Apparently if you’re walking along the promenade you’ll have to dodge round the travellers who’ve set up camp.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

lizwing wrote: 19 Jan 2022 15:35 Apparently if you’re walking along the promenade you’ll have to dodge round the travellers who’ve set up camp.
Least they’ll be able to give a musical accompaniment whilst you jig round em :-)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

😄😄
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

In my late teens I had some success in a lockup garage on Crescent Road, maybe there is a blue plaque there now? :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I may be courting controversy here but I would suggest the back row of the new cinema in Reading watching a sloppy film, a meal in one of the finer hostelries on the river in Whitchurch or Sonning or a visit to choose something nice from the ladies department at M&S - avoiding undergarments of course.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I think buying something nice from from M&S is impossible CAV.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 19 Jan 2022 19:56 I may be courting controversy here but I would suggest the back row of the new cinema in Reading watching a sloppy film, a meal in one of the finer hostelries on the river in Whitchurch or Sonning or a visit to choose something nice from the ladies department at M&S - avoiding undergarments of course.
‘Picking something nice from M&S’ - well that shouldn’t take long - unless they’ve had a major stock upgrade since I last looked :)
I’d opt for a stroll along the riverside at Henley - in good weather! In fact any of the ‘strolling’ ideas would have to be in good weather!

VoTs suggestion would suit me - but if the pocket £££s would stretch to it, a meal at The French Horn would fit the bill :) beautiful surroundings and lovely food. Never tried the London Street Brasserie as it’s all stairs I gather - and parking in the soulless Queens Rd car park.

Or a ride out to Stoke Row - before or after see the Maharajah’s Well, and a meal at The Crooked Billet - then on through Nettlebed into Henley, and afternoon tea there….
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

You can sit downstairs at the Brasserie, Pi. It’s nice in the ground floor too. As for parking, if it’s a romantic night out, then a nice Taxi fits the bill 😊.

Don’t forget, folks, L’Ortolan is only out at Shinfield......
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 Jan 2022 20:50 You can sit downstairs at the Brasserie, Pi. It’s nice in the ground floor too. As for parking, if it’s a romantic night out, then a nice Taxi fits the bill 😊.

Ah I didn’t know they had a ‘downstairs’ everyone `I’ve spoken talks of ‘upstairs’…. And yes a Taxi is the answer :)

Deep pockets needed for L’Ortolan!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 19 Jan 2022 21:01
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 19 Jan 2022 20:50 You can sit downstairs at the Brasserie, Pi. It’s nice in the ground floor too. As for parking, if it’s a romantic night out, then a nice Taxi fits the bill 😊.

Ah I didn’t know they had a ‘downstairs’ everyone `I’ve spoken talks of ‘upstairs’…. And yes a Taxi is the answer :)

Deep pockets needed for L’Ortolan!
I agree - but of course as Ladies, we’d be treated :-) . London Street is quite affordable. Went there once for a work lunch. IIRC it was a set price menu with several choices per course. Couldn’t fault it for the price.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

A picnic i Forbury Gardens is nice if you get a good area, plus if the weather is good it's nice for selfies.
If you want to visit a place for drinks then 7Flowers and Tea is beautiful.
Boat trips are nice too.

I think valentines day being in February doesn't always guarantee good weather for being romantic outdoors
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH I wouldn’t say anywhere was romantic as such – its more a case of want you want to make it romantic, not always a place
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The Greyhound is nice and has a separate little hut type thing if you wanted to be alone…
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Mayfield wrote: 20 Jan 2022 08:54 The Greyhound is nice and has a separate little hut type thing if you wanted to be alone…
Second that. Didn’t see the hut though Mayfield, where is that?

I could send the Alledged out there whilst I sat by the fire. True Romance :-)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

As you come in through the gate you would go left, round the pond …it’s sheltered but open, I think they may heat it if required…., it’s back must face the road.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

D5equj5 wrote: 19 Jan 2022 14:40 What makes Henley or Sonning "romantic"?
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps nice surroundings and less likely to get mugged. But apart from that.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Mayfield wrote: 20 Jan 2022 09:19 As you come in through the gate you would go left, round the pond …it’s sheltered but open, I think they may heat it if required…., it’s back must face the road.
Ok great thanks. I’ll put it to himself that we need a scouting party to see if we can find it :wink:
bert
Super Contributor

Post by bert »

I went for a run along the Thames last night and Christchurch Bridge was very pretty in the evening - nicely lit with twinkly lights.

Thames Lido is supposed to be nice too.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Yes, Thames Lido is nice and just got itself a mention in the Michelin guide
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

But would you call it romantic?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

OLDMAN wrote: 21 Jan 2022 08:00 But would you call it romantic?
Call me old fashioned, but I certainly don’t fancy being romantic in the wet with a lot of other people. At least Windrush’s lockup was probably a private affair, although he doesn’t say.
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

MickEdge wrote: 21 Jan 2022 18:41
Call me old fashioned, but I certainly don’t fancy being romantic in the wet with a lot of other people. At least Windrush’s lockup was probably a private affair, although he doesn’t say.
Well I didn't send out invitations! :whistle1: I remember taking my girlfriend to the Granby to see The Sound of Music, seats were pre-booked and I ended up sitting next to my maiden aunt who was also my girlfriends neighbour. :banghead: We sat like two sentinels through the film! :help3:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It’s lovely in the evenings when it’s all lit up…and there’s often only 1 or two swimmers two
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

When Mrs D and I hooked-up last year, we went to the Lido for a bite to eat in the evening. Lovely food, quiet and an easy atmosphere.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 21 Jan 2022 18:41 Call me old fashioned, but I certainly don’t fancy being romantic in the wet with a lot of other people.
Me neither. In fact I don’t want to see any swimmers at all whilst aim having dinner - romantic evening or not…. And I have to say a Michelin star cuts no ice with either of us from past experience.
pwpriory
Super Contributor

Post by pwpriory »

MrsKaur wrote: 19 Jan 2022 13:58 What and where are the romantic spots in and near to Reading?
Look no further !
Attachments
Reading Romance.png
Reading Romance.png (236.58 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Mayfield wrote: 21 Jan 2022 20:31
It’s lovely in the evenings when it’s all lit up…and there’s often only 1 or two swimmers too.
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

D5equj5 wrote: 19 Jan 2022 14:40 What makes Henley or Sonning "romantic” ?
I met my wife in the old Great House Hotel Sonning, before it became a “Trendy” Copper Club.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Back row of the Central cinema in Friar street in the late 1950’s early 1960’s. :whistle1:
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Was that latterly the ABC Cinema? Lovely art deco building knocked down for those ugly hotels. Would have made a great Wetherspoons ;-)

Return to “Reading talk”