Bus routes X39/X40

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Bus routes X39/X40

Post by chris_j_wood »

Apparently these routes transferred from Thames Transit to Oxford Bus Company at the beginning of this year. Not sure whether that has any practical significance, given that both companies are part of the GoAhead Group and that the timetable has not changed. The press release gives no explanation for this particular transfer, and is more about changes in Oxford City to better coordinate services between Oxford Bus Company and Stagecoach. But probably worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/network-review
Jude
Super Contributor

Re: Bus routes X39/X40

Post by Jude »

Thanks Chris.

Noticed this in the FAQs though:

I commute on the River Rapids services to Oxford and hold a 13 weeks Thames Travel Network Pass. Can I continue to use this on the X39/X40 services?

Unfortunately not. As the River Rapids will be operated by Oxford Bus Company, the Thames Travel Network Pass will no longer be valid. You will require a cityzone + South Oxfordshire Zone pass instead. Please contact us after the changes come into effect and we will arrange a pro-rata refund for the remaining balance.
wirewiper
Super Contributor

Re: Bus routes X39/X40

Post by wirewiper »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Jan 2022 16:15 Apparently these routes transferred from Thames Transit to Oxford Bus Company at the beginning of this year. Not sure whether that has any practical significance, given that both companies are part of the GoAhead Group and that the timetable has not changed. The press release gives no explanation for this particular transfer, and is more about changes in Oxford City to better coordinate services between Oxford Bus Company and Stagecoach. But probably worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/network-review
Thames Travel's main depot is now in Didcot rather than Wallingford, it moved a few years ago. Transferring the X39/X40 to OBC means the routes can be operated out of their Oxford depot, although I believe that prior to the transfer Thames Travel outstationed its own vehicles there for the X39/X40.

The X39/X40 were also rerouted into Oxford along Iffley Road last year, and as part of the Network Review the timetables on Oxford City routes 3 and 3A have been coordinated with the X39/X40 allowing the journeys on the 3 to be more evenly spaced.

Thames Travel used to outstation a couple of buses at Reading Buses depot in Great Knolly's Street each night for the X39/X40 so I presume Oxford Bus Company are continuing this practice as the timetables haven't changed.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”