The Lemongrove gallery

ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

The Lemongrove gallery

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Has moved from it's unit on Minster Street in Reading to Duke Street in Henley.

Doesn't anyone know the reason for this as the article in The Chronicle doesn't give much information? (as usual)
piwacket

Re: The Lemongrove gallery

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 01 Dec 2021 09:49 Has moved from it's unit on Minster Street in Reading to Duke Street in Henley.

Doesn't anyone know the reason for this as the article in The Chronicle doesn't give much information? (as usual)
Because Reading is an ‘artistic desert’ ?
Minster Street wouldn’t be ideal anyway - if you’re buying a large framed picture you need to at least stop the car to collect it, or better still be able to park…. In Castle Hill we had our own car park, and, at the time, 2-hr parking in the street alongside…. A big advantage. Henley will be a much better place for them… eventually, when the tourists return they should do very well, but will do better anyway. Sensible move I’d say.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Demographics?
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

One Chronicle commenter says, "Can't blame them really. Henley is a nice, more pleasant place." ;-)

But I never did like that location, looks like it's under a flyover.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

piwacket wrote: 01 Dec 2021 11:56
ChipbuttyG wrote: 01 Dec 2021 09:49 Has moved from it's unit on Minster Street in Reading to Duke Street in Henley.

Minster Street wouldn’t be ideal anyway - if you’re buying a large framed picture you need to at least stop the car to collect it, or better still be able to park…. In Castle Hill we had our own car park, and, at the time, 2-hr parking in the street alongside…. A big advantage. Henley will be a much better place for them… eventually, when the tourists return they should do very well, but will do better anyway. Sensible move I’d say.
People in Henley like to foster the idea they have money, but Marlow is the place where there’s real money, or maybe just less mean people. I’ve sold in both and in my humble opinion Henley is pretty overrated.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

KeithW wrote: 01 Dec 2021 12:06 One Chronicle commenter says, "Can't blame them really. Henley is a nice, more pleasant place." ;-)

At least there’s a good car-park not too far away.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

KeithW wrote: 01 Dec 2021 12:06 One Chronicle commenter says, "Can't blame them really. Henley is a nice, more pleasant place." ;-)

I know that much is true. I was in Henley on Saturday. Was very nice. The tree and Christmas lights are now up/on too.

There's hardly any footfall under that flyover bit - it's always so quiet around there. I quite often popped in that newsagents next door but that closed down too.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 01 Dec 2021 12:29 People in Henley like to foster the idea they have money, but Marlow is the place where there’s real money, or maybe just less mean people. I’ve sold in both and in my humble opinion Henley is pretty overrated.
Maybe ….but I like Henley, or shall I say, prefer Henley as a place to visit, and lived there for some years… rarely go to Marlow.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 01 Dec 2021 12:29

People in Henley like to foster the idea they have money, but Marlow is the place where there’s real money, or maybe just less mean people. I’ve sold in both and in my humble opinion Henley is pretty overrated.
Let's be honest. I think most people on here would happily live in either.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 01 Dec 2021 12:54

Personally, I wouldn't live in Henley if I was paid to. Unlike you, I'm
perfectly happy with Reading.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 01 Dec 2021 13:29

Personally, I wouldn't live in Henley if I was paid to.
I'm not sure I believe this.

If someone PAID you to live in a nicer area you'd turn it down?
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Depends if you think an area infested with the rowing set is nicer
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Now it is my turn to 'do a Windrush' and confess that I'm completely purplexicated.

"Flyover" and "Henley" are not words I've seen in together before. I'm pretty sure nobody has built an urban motorway through Henley without me noticing, and the railway is resolutely at ground level. What on earth are you talking about?.

As for living there, I think Henley is a nice enough little town to visit, but I certainly wouldn't want to live there. Reading is a much better place to live.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 01 Dec 2021 13:45

Yes, I would. Having lived in Reading for 88 years, why would I want to leave all my many friends and everything that is familiar to me ? Money isn't everything. I'd rather be poor and among friends than rich in a place I don't much like.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

This all seems odd as Lemongrove have had a Gallery / Shop in Duke St for many, many years so I think it’s less a case of ‘move’ and more a case of ‘close’ the Reading one?
It was certainly there when I worked in Henley and I left that job 6yrs ago, and I think they were when I started it so – about 14/15yrs plus?

Just looked it up and they were established in 2005 and opened the Henley shop about then so not exactly ‘new’ – The Reading one opened about a year later

Sounds more like s**t reporting from the Chronic again!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 01 Dec 2021 15:44

Yes, I would. Having lived in Reading for 88 years, why would I want to leave all my many friends and everything that is familiar to me ? Money isn't everything. I'd rather be poor and among friends than rich in a place I don't much like.
What if you could shift all your friends over to Henley?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Some people actually find a place they like to live and stay there ….and it isn’t for anyone else to question !

I really hope you soon find somewhere that will you suit you , very soon , Chipbutty…🙂
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 08:35

No thank you. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that I like Reading ? I agree with Mayfield, the sooner you settle somewhere you like better than Reading, the better for all of us.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 02 Dec 2021 09:27
No thank you. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that I like Reading ? I agree with Mayfield, the sooner you settle somewhere you like better than Reading, the better for all of us.
It's not difficult to understand. Reading is fine for some but it's not for everyone. The centre of Henley is far more pleasant than the centre of Reading. I'm sure most people would agree on that.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 02 Dec 2021 08:59 Some people actually find a place they like to live and stay there ….and it isn’t for anyone else to question !

I really hope you soon find somewhere that will you suit you , very soon , Chipbutty…🙂
I actually like where I live, the road, the house. However, the town centre is a bit rough as are the local pubs, the leisure facilities are quite poor, some of the most expensive car parking charges in the country and the traffic is a nightmare. Other than that....
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

maggieaitch wrote: 02 Dec 2021 09:27 No thank you. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that I like Reading ?
:goodposting:
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 09:51

It's not difficult to understand. Reading is fine for some but it's not for everyone. The centre of Henley is far more pleasant than the centre of Reading. I'm sure most people would agree on that.
I don't see why they would agree on that. Narrow paths, constantly having to step onto the road to avoid other pedestrians; narrow streets constantly causing long tail backs; and residents who always expect to get right of way. The river is lovely but it's the same river flowing through Reading, where it is no less lovely. I suppose if your main interest in life ( as yours seems to be ) is visiting as many pubs as possible, then maybe Henley has more of those than Reading.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I don't like either TBH.

There is very little in the centre of Reading that makes me want to travel in. I prefer life on the edge with easy access to lots of green space at the end of the road.

Having lived in Henley for a year, it is very much a town of 2 halves - the haves and have nots. It is OK to visit but again not somewhere I would want to live long term.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 02 Dec 2021 10:47
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 09:51
I don't see why they would agree on that. Narrow paths, constantly having to step onto the road to avoid other pedestrians; narrow streets constantly causing long tail backs; and residents who always expect to get right of way. The river is lovely but it's the same river flowing through Reading, where it is no less lovely. I suppose if your main interest in life ( as yours seems to be ) is visiting as many pubs as possible, then maybe Henley has more of those than Reading.
Fewer gangs. Less trouble. Friendlier people. That's not to say everyone is unfriendly in Reading of course. I just find generally, many of the places we visit, are more pleasant and friendly. And I pretty much go somewhere different most weeks.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Fed-up wrote: 02 Dec 2021 11:20 I don't like either TBH.

There is very little in the centre of Reading that makes me want to travel in. I prefer life on the edge with easy access to lots of green space at the end of the road.

Having lived in Henley for a year, it is very much a town of 2 halves - the haves and have nots. It is OK to visit but again not somewhere I would want to live long term.
Fair do's. But to me, if I lived in Henley within about a 10 min walk of the town centre it would be great. Near green open space and a short walk in, where there are plenty of great pubs, nice restaurants and enough shops.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Each to their own. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and decided it is not for me. Same as living in Reading, but for different reasons.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Fewer gangs.
Well I have only lived in Reading for 40-odd years. Maybe that is not long enough to be definitive, but I have never had the slightest problem with, or indeed seen any evidence of the existence of, gangs in the town.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Less trouble.
Ditto. Indeed the only time I can bring to mind where I felt threatened around here was in Windsor, of all places.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Friendlier people
Really. I have no problem with people not being friendly in Reading. At least the town doesn't suffer from an annual invasion of condescending twits wearing outlandish blazers.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 I just find generally, many of the places we visit, are more pleasant and friendly. And I pretty much go somewhere different most weeks.
I'm more than happy to visit all the lovely riverside and countryside towns and villages around Reading. Indeed that is one of the reasons I like living in Reading. Just as I enjoy visiting and exploring all the fascinating bits of London that I can get to so easily from here. That is another reason.

But I think there is a big difference between visiting somewhere and wanting to live there.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Some time ago, I posted that Chipbutty always has to have the last word. I'm sure he will keep coming back to the merits of Henley v Reading, so I'm just going to leave him to have the last word as usual.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

:offtopic1: I worked in Henley for just over 7yrs and spent a lot of time over there in the evenings and know a lot of people who live there - it isn’t as wonderful as being made out either on here or in general
I could go on and on and on about it all but as this is a thread about The Lemongrove Gallery I wont as entirely................................ :offtopic1:
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Reading does still have Castle Street Gallery opposite John Lewis, and IMHO most of the artwork on sale is almost the same as Lemon grove. Very little that stands out as different, what with the elderly rock star/comedian bandwagon on the roll - Bob Dylan, Ronnie Wood, Billy Connelly...

Did anyone also point out the loss of footfall when the Oracle "back door" closed? The convenience store next door closed, and the Citizen's Advice Bureau has been closed for the pandemic.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

chris_j_wood wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:36
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Fewer gangs.
Well I have only lived in Reading for 40-odd years. Maybe that is not long enough to be definitive, but I have never had the slightest problem with, or indeed seen any evidence of the existence of, gangs in the town.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Less trouble.
Ditto. Indeed the only time I can bring to mind where I felt threatened around here was in Windsor, of all places.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 Friendlier people
Really. I have no problem with people not being friendly in Reading. At least the town doesn't suffer from an annual invasion of condescending twits wearing outlandish blazers.
ChipbuttyG wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:12 I just find generally, many of the places we visit, are more pleasant and friendly. And I pretty much go somewhere different most weeks.
I'm more than happy to visit all the lovely riverside and countryside towns and villages around Reading. Indeed that is one of the reasons I like living in Reading. Just as I enjoy visiting and exploring all the fascinating bits of London that I can get to so easily from here. That is another reason.

But I think there is a big difference between visiting somewhere and wanting to live there.
I'd take "condescending twits wearing outlandish blazers" over twits wearing hoodies, chunky chains, walking with a limp and carrying knives.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 02 Dec 2021 12:40 Some time ago, I posted that Chipbutty always has to have the last word. I'm sure he will keep coming back to the merits of Henley v Reading, so I'm just going to leave him to have the last word as usual.
Reading has it's merits. It has a wider choice of shops over Henley.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I rest my case !!!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Still :offtopic1:

Keep going and we will shut this pointless thread
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Pointless? Granted it did go a little off tangent but we're still talking about the merits/downsides of Reading/Henley where The Lemongrove gallery have moved from and to.

Return to “Shopping in Reading”