REVIEW: Sure Hotel by Best Western (Christchurch Rd.)

an area for Reading's many public houses, restaurants, and hotels
STiR
Contributor

REVIEW: Sure Hotel by Best Western (Christchurch Rd.)

Post by STiR »

In what could well be the least-anticipated review of anything ever, here's an overlook of a budget East Reading hotel bar...

https://shitandnotshitpubsinreading.com ... n-reading/
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Re: REVIEW: Sure Hotel by Best Western (Christchurch Rd.)

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Never been in this hotel but worth noting if I was to ever do the Queens Head, (sadly no Wellington Arms), Pheasant, Hop Leaf (sadly no Red Cow or Read Lion) pub crawl into town.

I've included the Premier Inn bar at the bottom of Southampton Street on a pub crawl before. Bar Rest I think it's called. Again, it was dead, few people having a bite to eat in the restaurant, but that was it.
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

I like throwing the odd hotel into the mix on a crawl. Mixes things up a little.
STiR
Contributor

Post by STiR »

The evening mentioned also included The Queen's Head (Kung Fu Kitchen) and The Hop Leaf. We wimped out of The Pheasant.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Last time I did that pub crawl we nearly wimped out of going in The Pheasant as there were a load of lads stood outside, looked intimidating, until I realised I knew a couple of them and they spotted me.....
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Interesting review - it sounds like its changed a bit as we used to go quite often, mainly as it was a decent restaurant, but also few times for parties / receptions etc
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 18 Nov 2021 13:39 Interesting review - it sounds like its changed a bit as we used to go quite often, mainly as it was a decent restaurant, but also few times for parties / receptions etc
Ditto. Was The Hillingdon Prince? I was always surprised that ‘they’ never did better… it has the makings of a nice hotel, but somehow never did.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Before it's life as a hotel, it was the Milk Marketing Board. We know the owner, he owns most of the shopping parade, along with his cousin. And the building next door to the hotel, and the building round the back. The rooms are designed for self sufficiency - small fridge, microwave - hence no call for a restaurant at the hotel unless you like ping cuisine. The manageress of Devana (pre-Kung Fu kitchen) moved to the hotel when Devana closed down (we were such Devana regulars she came to our wedding). We haven't been in the hotel since she passed away, as nobody could ever meet her cleanliness standards. Probably why the beer pump isn't working.

Incidentally, the staff at the Roseate couldn't organise a p* up in a brewery, and you need infra red vision to see in the Malmaison given it's womb like interior.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read

Return to “Pubs, Restaurants, and Hotels”