Traveller problems

chat about the town here ...
maggieaitch
Super Contributor
Posts: 2955
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 16:42

Re: Traveller problems

Post by maggieaitch »

Perhaps it's to counteract the fact that in the little over one week since your first post on this forum, you have done nothing but moan. All your posts have been completely negative. Maybe if you had a more positive attitude, your posts would be more interesting.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:25 Perhaps it's to counteract the fact that in the little over one week since your first post on this forum, you have done nothing but moan. All your posts have been completely negative. Maybe if you had a more positive attitude, your posts would be more interesting.
Perhaps you can tell me how illegal travellers encampments on public parks enrich our lives in Reading?

Aside from the 'Chat' forum. By and large the rest of this forum is stagnant.
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

You are only belittled by someone if you place yourself below them. I don’t rant. I have the right to express myself same as anyone. You have evidence of fraud, which is what I think your alluding to, then take it to the authorities.

Having worked for the council on at least three occasions over a span of a decade, in several Departments, I don’t have to count how many dealings I’ve had with Mr Page or any of the Councillors. This is not a pishing contest of who knows who better or who’s had more dealings. Most people become disgruntled with large organisations when their particular hobby horse isn’t given the attention they think it warrants. You want to do something for the community then work for an organisation that addresses your particular concerns, rather than moan.

And also for the record, seeing as you presume otherwise, I do not, have not and will not defend any one or any organisation that I have evidence of poor or inadequate Governance of - nor will I continue to work in them. My jobs have been such that on the occasions I have encountered that, I have taken the necessary steps to bring that evidence in front of the appropriate body. I suggest you do the same.

Before you start shooting rant bullets, I suggest you check your ammunition.
Last edited by Voiceoftreason? on 22 Sep 2021 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

maggieaitch wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:25 Perhaps it's to counteract the fact that in the little over one week since your first post on this forum, you have done nothing but moan. All your posts have been completely negative. Maybe if you had a more positive attitude, your posts would be more interesting.
:goodposting:
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:28
maggieaitch wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:25 Perhaps it's to counteract the fact that in the little over one week since your first post on this forum, you have done nothing but moan. All your posts have been completely negative. Maybe if you had a more positive attitude, your posts would be more interesting.
Perhaps you can tell me how illegal travellers encampments on public parks enrich our lives in Reading?

Aside from the 'Chat' forum. By and large the rest of this forum is stagnant.
I’m sure the local forums where you’ll be moving to will suit you much better.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
User avatar
D5equj5
Super Contributor
Posts: 3567
Joined: 13 Aug 2019 11:58

Re: Traveller problems

Post by D5equj5 »

Ranting and belittling ?
From someone who has ben corrected many times, I rather feel answering a question or correcting an incorrect statement or declared assumption are neither ranting nor belittling ChipbuttyG (sounds like a made-up name to me). Relax (said Frankie), chill (said D6equj5) no one is belittling you, per se, just what you say.
Hope this helps
x
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Sep 2021 10:56 You are only belittled by someone if you place yourself below them. I don’t rant. I have the right to express myself same as anyone. You have evidence of fraud, which is what I think your alluding to, then take it to the authorities.

Having worked for the council on at least three occasions over a span of a decade, in several Departments, I don’t have to count how many dealings I’ve had with Mr Page or any of the Councillors. This is not a phishing contest of who knows who better or who’s had more dealings. Most people become disgruntled with large organisations when their particular hobby horse isn’t given the attention they think it warrants. You want to do something for the community then work for an organisation that addresses your particular concerns, rather than moan.

And also for the record, seeing as you presume otherwise, I do not, have not and will not defend any one or any organisation that I have evidence of poor or inadequate Governance of - nor will I continue to work in them. My jobs have been such that on the occasions I have encountered that, I have taken the necessary steps to bring that evidence in front of the appropriate body. I suggest you do the same.

Before you start shooting rant bullets, I suggest you check your ammunition.

Evidence of fraud? No. I've never said it was fraud. Just another case of the council wasting money.

Check YOUR ammunition.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

D5equj5 wrote: 22 Sep 2021 11:18 Ranting and belittling ?
From someone who has ben corrected many times, I rather feel answering a question or correcting an incorrect statement or declared assumption are neither ranting nor belittling ChipbuttyG (sounds like a made-up name to me). Relax (said Frankie), chill (said D6equj5) no one is belittling you, per se, just what you say.
Hope this helps
x
Sorry, until the end there I thought this was aimed at VoR. Where have I been corrected? Despite my confusion with RBC/RBH of which I apologised I haven't been corrected at all.
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 22 Sep 2021 11:57




Evidence of fraud? No. I've never said it was fraud. Just another case of the council wasting money.

Check YOUR ammunition.
You alluded to it in your comment “, I question the validity of these figures”. Is that not what you meant? If you believe the figures are invalid, then why - accidental mistake or deliberate fraud?

D5, you ARE a card :roflol3: 🥰

Edit:- having drifted into the murky waters of council complaints, I shall :offtopic1: myself immediately :-)
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 22 Sep 2021 12:26
ChipbuttyG wrote: 22 Sep 2021 11:57




Evidence of fraud? No. I've never said it was fraud. Just another case of the council wasting money.

Check YOUR ammunition.
You alluded to it in your comment “, I question the validity of these figures”. Is that not what you meant? If you believe the figures are invalid, then why - accidental mistake or deliberate fraud?

D5, you ARE a card :roflol3: 🥰
Because organisations can get figures wrong. It doesn't mean there is any fraud involved.
User avatar
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor
Posts: 16468
Joined: 04 Jun 2013 21:14

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Whatevs.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
User avatar
BOY RACER
Super Contributor
Posts: 1568
Joined: 04 Oct 2014 19:40

Re: Traveller problems

Post by BOY RACER »

Well of course a chipbutty is a sandwich of potato chips. As this originated in Ireland I will say no more?
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Does anyone know if they're still on Kings Meadow?
User avatar
BOY RACER
Super Contributor
Posts: 1568
Joined: 04 Oct 2014 19:40

Re: Traveller problems

Post by BOY RACER »

Of course you could look at this problem from a different angle:- if you had no travellers you would have no problem
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Err....
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6

Interesting article.

This is interesting from Cllr Rob White. "Cllr White called for the council to “show respect” to the travelling community’s way of life by providing a transit site with decent facilities."

Respect works both ways Rob. It's a shame they don't reciprocate.
User avatar
windrush
Super Contributor
Posts: 7784
Joined: 16 Nov 2006 23:08

Re: Traveller problems

Post by windrush »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 12 Oct 2021 08:50 https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6

Interesting article.

This is interesting from Cllr Rob White. "Cllr White called for the council to “show respect” to the travelling community’s way of life by providing a transit site with decent facilities."

Respect works both ways Rob. It's a shame they don't reciprocate.
Our council wants the same but they can't agree on a location as a lot of farms etc don't want them nearbye so have decided to leave them in the bus station where they have resided since january. At least they keep it tidy.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

windrush wrote: 12 Oct 2021 11:27
ChipbuttyG wrote: 12 Oct 2021 08:50 https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6

Interesting article.

This is interesting from Cllr Rob White. "Cllr White called for the council to “show respect” to the travelling community’s way of life by providing a transit site with decent facilities."

Respect works both ways Rob. It's a shame they don't reciprocate.
Our council wants the same but they can't agree on a location as a lot of farms etc don't want them nearbye so have decided to leave them in the bus station where they have resided since january. At least they keep it tidy.

Pete.
Reading Council are trying to work with neighbouring council's to try and find a site. It's problematic to say the least. Most of all, because nobody wants a traveller site near them.
User avatar
D5equj5
Super Contributor
Posts: 3567
Joined: 13 Aug 2019 11:58

Re: Traveller problems

Post by D5equj5 »

PC49 wrote: 26 Sep 2021 20:44 Of course you could look at this problem from a different angle:- if you had no travellers you would have no problem
:roflol3:
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Kings Meadow Reading: Travellers leave mess at football pitches

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Back on Hills Meadow car park.

I predicted this on the 8th October.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So the council would like to put the site next to the Re3 recycling centre.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ng-centre/

Adele Barnett Ward, Lead Councillor for Neighbourhoods, said: “The impact of illegal incursions in Reading is significant and has been over a number of years.

“That impact is financial, in terms of the cost of evicting and clearing up after encampments but is also felt by communities themselves where anti-social behaviour is the result."

Yes Adele. Your council's failed actions on improving security of the parks around Reading has cost the tax payer a fortune in the long run. She's absolutely useless (as seen with the smaller waste bin fiasco too).
User avatar
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor
Posts: 6072
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 13:10

Re: Traveller problems

Post by chris_j_wood »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 24 Oct 2021 10:06 So the council would like to put the site next to the Re3 recycling centre.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ng-centre/
But it looks possible that the new site might fall foul of the blanket ban on new development within the AWE Burghfield Detailed Emergency Planning Zone, as it on the edge of said zone.

The newly expanded zone is the result of changes to national legislation, which in turn was the result of experiences learnt at Fukushima in Japan in 2011. If the worst comes to the worst, and there is an atmospheric release of plutonium, anybody in the zone will be advised to shelter indoors for 48 hours, and there will be about 25 minutes to get the message out and get everybody indoors. I cannot help but wonder how that will work if it happens in the middle of a capacity crowd game at the MadStad, which is well within the zone.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor
Posts: 3511
Joined: 07 Jun 2014 20:21

Re: Traveller problems

Post by C.A.Versham »

Does being in a caravan count as sheltering indoors?
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
User avatar
MickEdge
Super Contributor
Posts: 2247
Joined: 08 Jul 2015 14:54

Re: Traveller problems

Post by MickEdge »

Should have posted this here, not on city status. It explains that the AWE issue needs to be tested during the planning process. It’s by no means a done deal, as Chris says.
https://democracy.reading.gov.uk/docume ... itSite.pdf
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I'm surprised they're not putting the traveller transit site in Caversham. Cllr Adele Barnett-Ward really wants one for Reading. So what better place than to have it on her patch where she can closely see what issues it'll cause.......
User avatar
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor
Posts: 6072
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 13:10

Re: Traveller problems

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 29 Oct 2021 18:30 Does being in a caravan count as sheltering indoors?
Good question.

Probably more so than queuing on the steps of the Madstad North Stand, trying to get into the already full under-stand area.

Interesting and telling that this change was introduced because of the problems encountered at Fukushima, where the advice was to evacuate rather than shelter indoors, but where that evacuation was found to be logistically impractical. One of the issues was that all the local petrol stations ran out of fuel very quickly. Now what recent events does that remind me of?.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor
Posts: 3511
Joined: 07 Jun 2014 20:21

Re: Traveller problems

Post by C.A.Versham »

Best to stay at home. Ideally place yourself in a sleeping bag or a large plastic bag as it makes it easier for the eventual clean up team to find your body.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
User avatar
Hooped
Super Contributor
Posts: 1723
Joined: 10 May 2017 13:43

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Hooped »

If only there were such a thing as a capacity crowd at the Select Car Leasing Stadium! 50% capacity on Saturday for the visit of the best team in the Championship.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

They've finally put a rising bollard in at Cintra Park.

After many, many years of illegal encampments - if only the council had listened all those years ago, in the long run it would have saved them a small fortune.

Now they need one at Hills Meadow car park.
User avatar
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor
Posts: 6072
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 13:10

Re: Traveller problems

Post by chris_j_wood »

Hooped wrote: 01 Nov 2021 17:30 If only there were such a thing as a capacity crowd at the Select Car Leasing Stadium! 50% capacity on Saturday for the visit of the best team in the Championship.
I just knew somebody was going to say that. I guess I must know too many Reading fans. :-)

I suspect that even 50% capacity would be problematic. Even getting 12,000 people indoors in 20 minutes and sheltering them for 48 hours is a big ask.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... f4ca0846d6

"Reading Borough Council’s (RBC) has spent more than £300,000 tackling unauthorised encampments in Reading in the past five years."

And that's only the stuff they know about, directly linked to the encampments on site.....

When the council spent £53,065.00 on a failed one-way system in Caversham for the active travel scheme, the constant clean up and legal stuff must be way more than 300k in total.
Fed-up
Super Contributor
Posts: 5273
Joined: 05 Jun 2013 12:28

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Fed-up »

Looking at the article, the costs include legal fees, cleanup, safeguarding measures and repair costs for the last 5 years.

Apart from 2017/18, the figures quoted for safeguarding measures and repairs seem very low as two years nothing was spent on repairs and safeguarding and the other 2 years it was less than £7,000. Compared to the cost the council quotes for other jobs, these figures seem very low.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 Sep 2021 09:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by ChipbuttyG »

They do seem very low.

Another case of questioning these FOI requests.

I put in an FOI request for road marking costs. Apparently it cost more to do two white lines over Reading Bridge (supposed to be cycle lanes but are too narrow) than it did to paint the entire section from Tilehurst Station to Norcot junction on the Oxford Road....I think many of these FOI requests aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Jude
Super Contributor
Posts: 246
Joined: 23 Oct 2015 16:50

Re: Traveller problems

Post by Jude »

Actually three white lines, plus blotting out lots of old markings (it was three lanes over the bridge before) - so two old white lines plus no mans land markings towards the laundry and the filter lane into the carpark.
Agree though the cycle lanes are too narrow - could have saved a lot, and had a safer result, by simply turning one of the old lanes on the bridge itself into a bi directional cycle lane, with some kind of solid but cheap bollards installed. Although that would mean having to cross the traffic at each end in one direction...
Post Reply

Return to “Reading talk”