Does this bring back memories?

General chat forum
piwacket

Does this bring back memories?

Post by piwacket »

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berks ... s-20612185

Not for me, other than knowing Marianne Faithful when she was about 15 years old....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Where's the Bullring
Super Contributor

Re: Does this bring back memories?

Post by Where's the Bullring »

I was living in Windsor during the early 1960's, but this is the first I heard of this club, even though i was a teenager at the time! I used to go to nearby Adelphi Theatre, Slough, for my entertainment (gigs, as they are now called). I remember seeing Susan Maugham, Helen Shapiro among others groups/solo artists, but they are the only ones I can put a name to.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Only memories for me is when mates older brothers an sisters used to go to them, then rave about it when we next all got together..........b******s
For me I didn’t start going to clubs etc until mid 70’s on, it was mostly Reading Uni’ SU as they hosted many bands etc at the time
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJGEn4FDys

This is a film set but apparently accurate to the original - the band has Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in it, Janet Street Porter was an extra. The club turned into a semi franchise including nights in the old mortuary in Minster street.
I used to go to The Old Trout in Windsor to see bands but that's gone now to become a food/tourist venue "pub"
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

dave m wrote: 19 May 2021 08:55 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSJGEn4FDys

This is a film set but apparently accurate to the original - the band has Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page in it, Janet Street Porter was an extra. The club
Michael Palin reportedly was in the crowd too. Certainly looks like him.
'Let's Go Brandon'
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I remember it, it was quite famous as a 'launching pad' for various blues related groups. I never went there myself but two older lads who I used to drive to various gigs in the early seventies (before I got engaged and couldn't afford both a female and seeing bands so one had to go!) visited it regularly.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Interesting read and a nice bit of local pop history, even though my 60s clubbing was almost non-existent, and Windsor was just a school theatre trip. All I recall is a dance school in Duke St, a blues club in Godalming (Duster Bennett - Bright Lights) and the Edgar Broughton band live, making a lot of noise. Never new Ms Faithfull, in any sense, but didn’t her Dad set up a community at Ipsden, in the rather interesting Strawberry Hill Gothic house at Braziers park.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 19 May 2021 11:27 Never new Ms Faithfull, in any sense, but didn’t her Dad set up a community at Ipsden, in the rather interesting Strawberry Hill Gothic house at Braziers park.
She was a member of the same theatre Student Group as myself - a pretty girl and a good actress - she did go on to appear professionally for a short while, but then got ‘side-tracked’ ... never met her Dad, but her mother at the time was Manageress of Sally’s in Harris Arcade, then had a Cafe of her own at Cemetery Junction - I seem to remember it wasn’t there long .....
There's no such thing as a free lunch

Return to “Chatty Person”