SCAM ALERTS

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Re: SCAM ALERTS

Post by OLDMAN »

Just had a good one – phone rang with a number I don’t recognise but these days have to answer

Automated message along the lines of – this is a security check from your bank (no name, mine or bank) reference your visa credit or debit card and the £600 that has just been paid 15mins ago to a foreign recipient......
Suffice to say I hung up, checked my bank an no outgoings

The no is - +35738989846 which google doesn’t even recognise as a tel’ number!
It’s now blocked
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 10 May 2021 14:41 The no is - +35738989846 which google doesn’t even recognise as a tel’ number!
Do you have a Cypriot bank account?. Sorry, don't answer that, HMRC might be listening. :-)

The leading +357 is the international dialling code for Cyprus. The + just stands for whatever the international access code is where you are dialling from, which would be 00 in the UK. It used just to be a convention for printing phone numbers in documents with international readerships, but modern mobile phones understand it and will substitute the appropriate code for you.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I tried the number in various layouts (00 / spacing etc) but none of them came up!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
shrinkingman
Super Contributor

Post by shrinkingman »

I've had a series of calls on my mobile from what appears to be a London number, with the format 020 3768 xxxx. I've googled one or two of the numbers and they point to a call centre in India. On past occasions when I've answered them, they're a recorded message telling me I'm being investigated for tax fraud. I'm told that these systems are primed to listen out for people saying 'hello', then they know they've got a human. Not sure how true that is.

The trouble is, the nature of my job means I have to answer calls from numbers I don't recognise, I work in IT support and since I've been working from home doing callbacks, a lot of people in the company now have my number and call me direct, rather than going through our Helpdesk system.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Yesterday I ordered from Amazon on Prime Next day delivery... this morning I had two emails... one - the usual format from Amazon, saying it would be delivered today... the other from DPD, different format but saying they’d deliver today with a link to click to ‘find out more’ - which I ignored. It did get delivered at lunchtime - but I wonder if the DPD one was genuine? Don’t usually get a DPD one, just the advisory one from Amazon....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

piwacket wrote: 11 May 2021 15:43 Yesterday I ordered from Amazon on Prime Next day delivery... this morning I had two emails... one - the usual format from Amazon, saying it would be delivered today... the other from DPD, different format but saying they’d deliver today with a link to click to ‘find out more’ - which I ignored. It did get delivered at lunchtime - but I wonder if the DPD one was genuine? Don’t usually get a DPD one, just the advisory one from Amazon....
I think it is quite likely that is was from DPD as they usually send an email and text with a delivery time slot.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

spectrum64 wrote: 11 May 2021 15:58 I think it is quite likely that is was from DPD as they usually send an email and text with a delivery time slot.
I’ve never had one before ...
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Interesting write-up at https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/10/ ... ce_report/ about the National Cyber Security Centre annual Active Cyber Defence report and their efforts to take down the domains link to the scams, etc.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 11 May 2021 16:11
spectrum64 wrote: 11 May 2021 15:58 I think it is quite likely that is was from DPD as they usually send an email and text with a delivery time slot.
Same here, always the Amazon one (or a tracking link) usually with the order confirmation but nothing else
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Currently awaiting a delivery via DPD. Be interesting to see if there’s an increase in scam approaches we get in the next couple of days. I reported the last lot to DPD, who responded that they are ‘aware’ of these doing the rounds. Oh that ok then 🙄
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

TBH there is nothing that DPD can do to stop the criminal texts. To stop those will require government and telco action, as highlighted in the NCSC report above.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 May 2021 10:21
piwacket wrote: 11 May 2021 16:11
Same here, always the Amazon one (or a tracking link) usually with the order confirmation but nothing else
I send a lot of orders with DPD and on the morning of delivery the recipients receive texts and emails with a time slot. This is dependent on me putting phone numbers and emails into the DPD system.
If Amazon doesn't pass these on to DPD then you won't get these alerts. Do Amazon send you time slots? If so they must be scraping this info for DPD's online tracking.
I avoid Amazon where I can, so have little knowledge of their systems. I dislike companies avoiding paying taxes as the rest of us have to.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

When I order off Amazon (and sometimes E-Bay) they send a tracking link to the associated courier with the order acknowledgments, it also depends who the ‘seller’ is
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

I probably said this recently, but any scam texts should be forwarded to 7726 which is the number all the mobile telcos use for this. You will immediately receive a text from your telco, asking you to provide the name or number the text came from. If I answer a call from a number I don't recognise, I generally don't speak - that almost always results in the call being terminated, which suggests that shrinkingman's comment on 11th May is correct.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Hooped wrote: 19 May 2021 17:10 I probably said this recently, but any scam texts should be forwarded to 7726 which is the number all the mobile telcos use for this. You will immediately receive a text from your telco, asking you to provide the name or number the text came from. If I answer a call from a number I don't recognise, I generally don't speak - that almost always results in the call being terminated, which suggests that shrinkingman's comment on 11th May is correct.
Yes, I've found on my landlines that if I leave it until the 3rd or 4th ring before I pick up, and then remain silent, I almost always hear the phone line hang up a few seconds later. Doesn't solve the problem, but does deal with it on those occasions when I really can't be bothered to engage with them.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Today's attempt is a text saying that our Census return is incomplete, click on the link to provide the missing data or risk a £1,000 fine. Yeah, right.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Last week I had 6 texts in about 2hrs, all from different numbers each with a different ‘link’ to click on but all the same message to say an attempt had been made to take money from my account form a new device
None of them had my name on, and no bank name or any other details etc!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I've had several calls recently, allegedly from O2, offering me a 40% saving on my O2 contract (and yes, I do actually have one). I've quickly terminated the calls, and a quick search today confirms that it is a scam. Today's caller was 330 220 4401.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I know I’m taking a huge risk by saying this but I haven’t had any calls for a couple of weeks, I suppose they’ll start again now 😊
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

OLDMAN wrote: 24 May 2021 12:56 Last week I had 6 texts in about 2hrs, all from different numbers each with a different ‘link’ to click on but all the same message to say an attempt had been made to take money from my account form a new device
None of them had my name on, and no bank name or any other details etc!
I had that one over the weekend, but only once.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Hooped wrote: 19 May 2021 17:10 I probably said this recently, but any scam texts should be forwarded to 7726 which is the number all the mobile telcos use for this. You will immediately receive a text from your telco, asking you to provide the name or number the text came from. If I answer a call from a number I don't recognise, I generally don't speak - that almost always results in the call being terminated, which suggests that shrinkingman's comment on 11th May is correct.
Sure it isn't 77226? It's the number to forward these message to, and is what you'd dial for 7-SCAM....
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Hooped wrote: 22 May 2021 07:45 Today's attempt is a text saying that our Census return is incomplete, click on the link to provide the missing data or risk a £1,000 fine. Yeah, right.
I've had that one too. I looked into it, and there is no administrative fine for not completing the census or not answering questions. They may take you to court if you keep ignoring them, but you will have had census people knocking on your door asking if you need assistance filling it in long before then.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Ollycat wrote: 24 May 2021 15:50
Sure it isn't 77226? It's the number to forward these message to, and is what you'd dial for 7-SCAM....
It's 7726 for SPAM - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecom ... spam-texts
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Thanks, Pooneil, yes it's definitely just 7726, I've used it many times!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Several people nicked yesterday... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57226704
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Just had a new one from a Mr McTaggart (I wonder if he is related to the doctor in The Blood Donor episode of Hancock?)

The email has been sent from [email protected]

'Ignoring this email could cost you a lot more than the licence fee

Dear Sir/Madam,
We understand you may be busy. But, since you didn't respond to our last letter, an investigation into your property has now begun.
You can still stop the investigation.
But you need to pay your licence without delay:

Spread the cost by setting up a Direct Debit
Or pay the full fee today
Or, if you already have a licence, you need to move it from your old address.
To stop the investigation and pay your licence press the button below:

Stop Investigation (A button to press which I have ignored as I have a licence).

A court appearance could cost you over £1,000.
As your details have now been passed on to our Enforcement Division, a visit to your property is being authorised. If you are found to be watching or recording live TV programmes on any channel, or downloading or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer illegally - whether on TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device - you may face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.
Of course, if you don't need a licence, we'd like to stop writing to you.

So please let us know. We may confirm this with a visit. And if you've recently bought or moved a licence, thank you - our records will now have been updated.

Your faithfully,
Adrian McTaggart
Customer Service Director'
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Oddly - or coincidentally, I had 2 or 3 calls from Glasgow… I don’t know anyone in Glasgow so I didn’t answer, but they called again, and I, unthinkingly did answer. Scottish voice, is that Mrs McTaggart? No, who’s asking? It’s Scottish Power. Sorry you have wrong number…. They haven’t called again.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I meant to say, earlier today I got a phone call around 0900 ish. Didn’t note the number. It’s a recorded voice, well spoken clearly a native English speaker, a woman (less threatening that way).

Apparently, my credit card (don’t have one) was used to move £600 ‘overseas’ And if I want to track it down/discuss it, I should press option one. Needless to say, I didn’t. If I did have a credit card, I know my bank, who are particularly good at spotting unusual transactions, would be on me like stink on fish about it.

These people aren’t very clever, really, are they.

Sadly, the line cuts off if you don’t press one. Pity that, as I was looking forward to giving them some anatomically correct Instructions 😌
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

I've had several texts recently purporting to be from the Royal Mail, saying there's £2.69 to pay on a parcel they've tried to deliver. If this is the £4 million package from my second cousin twice removed in Nigeria, maybe I should pay up!

No. I no think so!
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Had a somewhat different email today. - part shown below. They seem to have got it a little bit wrong , as they are offering me the chance to obtain 2x met boxes containing an undetermined amount of money, but each is estimated to contain $4. Have marked relevant phrases in red.
I am Jacob J. Lew , Head of Inspection Unit United Nations Inspection Agency in Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport Atlanta, Georgia.During our investigation, I discovered An abandoned shipment through a Diplomat from United Kingdom which was transferred from JF Kennedy Airport to our facility here in Atlanta, and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in 2 Metal Trunk Boxes weighing approximately 110kg each.

The consignment was abandoned because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money rather it was declared as personal effect/classified document to either avoid diversion by the Shipping Agent or confiscation by the relevant authorities. The diplomat's inability to pay for Non Inspection fees among other things are the reason why the consignment is delayed and abandoned.

By assessment, each of the boxes contains about $4 and it's still left in the airport storage facility till today. The Consignments like I said, are two metal trunk boxes weighing about 110kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) effective capacity: 680 L) Approximately. The details of the consignment including your name and email on the official document from the United Nations' office in London where the shipment was tagged as personal effects/classified document is still available with us. As it stands now, you have to reconfirm your full name, Phone Number, and full address so I can cross-check and see if it corresponds with the one on the official documents.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

You do have to wonder sometimes, don't you. Somebody has obviously spent a bit of time constructing a scenario, yet the one they have come up with is so utterly unbelievable.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

mikejee wrote: 15 Jun 2021 21:25Had a somewhat different email today. - part shown below. They seem to have got it a little bit wrong , as they are offering me the chance to obtain 2x met boxes containing an undetermined amount of money, but each is estimated to contain $4. Have marked relevant phrases in red.
I am Jacob J. Lew , Head of Inspection Unit United Nations Inspection Agency in Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport Atlanta, Georgia.During our investigation, I discovered An abandoned shipment through a Diplomat from United Kingdom which was transferred from JF Kennedy Airport to our facility here in Atlanta, and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in 2 Metal Trunk Boxes weighing approximately 110kg each.

The consignment was abandoned because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money rather it was declared as personal effect/classified document to either avoid diversion by the Shipping Agent or confiscation by the relevant authorities. The diplomat's inability to pay for Non Inspection fees among other things are the reason why the consignment is delayed and abandoned.

By assessment, each of the boxes contains about $4 and it's still left in the airport storage facility till today. The Consignments like I said, are two metal trunk boxes weighing about 110kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) effective capacity: 680 L) Approximately. The details of the consignment including your name and email on the official document from the United Nations' office in London where the shipment was tagged as personal effects/classified document is still available with us. As it stands now, you have to reconfirm your full name, Phone Number, and full address so I can cross-check and see if it corresponds with the one on the official documents.
Hmm, a trunk that size made out of 5mm thick steel weights about 2kg. $2 in each trunk weighs 0.5kg in each if they're in US 1 cent coins.
So the remaining 107.5 kg in just under 680 litres? At that density, you've got two trunks full of balsa wood; hope you enjoy making model gliders! :roflol3:
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

mikejee wrote: 15 Jun 2021 21:25
<snipped>

2 Metal Trunk Boxes weighing approximately 110kg each.
I was once transiting through Miami airport with some large boxes. I was asked the weight and replied that they were 90 kilogrammes in total.

I was told in no uncertain terms, "We don't have those here, sir."
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

Nuisance calls (as opposed to nuisance texts) can also be reported to 7726. Just send a text with the word "Call" and you will be asked to provide the number that called you. I've had a couple of calls every day for the last week from a Manchester number - each time I answer, I remain silent and the call is cut off within 2 seconds.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Had a couple recently
First was Monday with an e-mail to work, from a woman saying she loved my profile and I may be interested in getting in touch / meeting up etc
Joke is, it’s a company address that starts with [email protected] no personal profile on it –you just have to laugh

Yesterday I had 3 calls – I answered the first just before I left work and got an automated message to say my National Insurance number was being deleted, best bit - the voice was a distinctly deep / broad American accent...............I hung up before the end
TBH I would like that as no more paying tax etc as I won’t exist!
Had another minutes later on the way home (didn’t answer as driving) and the last just after getting home, which I missed – all 3 have the same first part of the number and the last 2 rang off after 3 rings, before my messenger cut in so guess all the same type of call
They where
+44777428676
+44777429699
+44777423038
And checking them on-line and all 3 ‘don’t exist?’
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Chatty Person”