SCAM ALERTS

General chat forum
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Re: SCAM ALERTS

Post by C.A.Versham »

I've never thought of having a service agreement for a printer as they seem quite cheap to buy. I'm sure the companies try to make their money from the cartridges.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Had one the other day telling me that my loft insulation hadn’t been replaced and there’s a government scheme to help me pay for it, could they send someone to measure up. How do they know we haven’t replaced it? Sorry, I’m not interested I won’t waste your time, goodbye.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 13 Jul 2021 16:21 Had one the other day telling me that my loft insulation hadn’t been replaced and there’s a government scheme to help me pay for it, could they send someone to measure up. How do they know we haven’t replaced it? Sorry, I’m not interested I won’t waste your time, goodbye.
Chances are they’ll find quite a few to which it applies….
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Several people have reported this on Nextdoor.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

C.A.Versham wrote: 13 Jul 2021 15:22 I've never thought of having a service agreement for a printer as they seem quite cheap to buy. I'm sure the companies try to make their money from the cartridges.
Exactly what I told him.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Opened my phone this morning to see a message on this number. Timed at 00.06 am.
https://who-calls.me.uk/phone/07786306377

Wording exactly the same as those on there. Now deleted.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

OH had the fake Covid alert text this week. Did not clock on the link of course.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 26 Mar 2022 12:10 OH had the fake Covid alert text this week. Did not clock on the link of course.
No I didn’t :)
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I've had a couple of text messages from +44 07xxx xxxxxx in the last few weeks, purporting to be from my bank, stating that "a transaction has been attempted on xx/xx at xx:xx. If this was not you, proceed at..." Today's link says https://linesecurevb.com/ - which doesn't sound very much like Lloyds to me!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I've just had an automated call from 07806 325705. It was from the 'Visa and Mastercard Department' of 'my bank' regarding a payment of £600 which was made to 'a foreign country' '15 minutes ago'.

No reason to doubt the authenticity of that then!
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I still keep getting texts from The Post Office, regarding undelivered parcels. They appear worryingly authentic and I could easily be fooled if it wasn't for the fact that a) I'm not expecting a parcel & b) I'm told that the post Office don't send text messages.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Royal Mail do send text messages if they have a parcel to deliver but not to ask you for money.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

maggieaitch wrote: 28 Mar 2022 16:45 I still keep getting texts from The Post Office, regarding undelivered parcels. They appear worryingly authentic and I could easily be fooled if it wasn't for the fact that a) I'm not expecting a parcel & b) I'm told that the post Office don't send text messages.
Maybe son overseas - for Mother’s Day?
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

piwacket wrote: 28 Mar 2022 19:37
maggieaitch wrote: 28 Mar 2022 16:45 I still keep getting texts from The Post Office, regarding undelivered parcels. They appear worryingly authentic and I could easily be fooled if it wasn't for the fact that a) I'm not expecting a parcel & b) I'm told that the post Office don't send text messages.
Maybe son overseas - for Mother’s Day?
No, that had already arrived, delivered by an Amazon van.I'll have a word with the postman tomorrow just in case. I know the local posties well enough to know that they would have left it with a neighbour if I had been out.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Souwester wrote: 28 Mar 2022 14:42 I've just had an automated call from 07806 325705. It was from the 'Visa and Mastercard Department' of 'my bank' regarding a payment of £600 which was made to 'a foreign country' '15 minutes ago'.

No reason to doubt the authenticity of that then!
When I had a fraud text alert from the bank they said they would send another text from another number, asking me to confirm three transactions. The second text asked me to reply Y or N if I didn’t recognise a transaction. I replied N and got a text with a link to call their fraud line. I checked the number to be sure it matched their website number. I think this is the way most banks do it. I don’t recall being asked to divulge any information other than confirm the fraudulent transaction.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 28 Mar 2022 17:31 Royal Mail do send text messages if they have a parcel to deliver but not to ask you for money.
The latest tranche of scam text messages don't ask you for money, just ask to visit a web site (www[dot]postoffice-gb[dot]com in my case) to rebook the delivery. No idea what happens next, because I have no intention of exposing any of my devices to that web site.

I'm surprised the Royal Mail sends text messages, if only because I don't see any obvious way for them to link a name and address to a mobile phone number.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Chris
If you buy the postage online and get a printed label, then you are (optionally) asked for your email address.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

chris_j_wood wrote: 29 Mar 2022 15:11
I'm surprised the Royal Mail sends text messages, if only because I don't see any obvious way for them to link a name and address to a mobile phone number.
Had the text message from Royal Mail confirming delivery of COVID test pack. It was sent at an early hour this morning. They have my number from the test ordering site of course. They also sent me an email.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

That's odd. I have been trying to get a test pack for a couple of weeks but keep being told there are no more available.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I've just tried again and they are still saying that there are no more available.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I'm afraid it's a matter of keep trying. I tried at four different times and eventual got a slot. I suspect that there will be a last minute rush.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I logged in alright but suspect they won't supply unless you have symptoms or special needs.
I didn't say that the PO don't send texts but that they don't send them to re-book a failed delivery.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

I just got one supposedly from Paypal - from 07749 638604 - forwarded to 7726...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

That 7726 number seems to be the ‘magic’ number, but does it ever achieve anything- like getting these scam texts stopped :?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

maggieaitch wrote: 30 Mar 2022 12:26 I logged in alright but suspect they won't supply unless you have symptoms or special needs.
I didn't say that the PO don't send texts but that they don't send them to re-book a failed delivery.
Just managed to order a pack at 9.20 this evening.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

You were lucky. None available at 9.40.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

maggieaitch wrote: 30 Mar 2022 21:48 You were lucky. None available at 9.40.
Keep trying I tried a few times yesterday and got one. I kept the webpage open where it says none available and then pressed the back key and tried again when I remembered. Last day today though. I might keep an unopened test pack to bequeath to my grandchildren, in case they become a collectible. You never know😉
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Thanks for the tip. I have tried once today but didn't think to keep the page open. I will do that now.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

maggieaitch wrote: 31 Mar 2022 10:12 Thanks for the tip. I have tried once today but didn't think to keep the page open. I will do that now.
Managed to get one first try this morning. Just hit lucky I guess.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Finally got one !!!!! 4th try this morning.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

maggieaitch wrote: 31 Mar 2022 11:51 Finally got one !!!!! 4th try this morning.
:carrot:
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

maggieaitch wrote: 31 Mar 2022 11:51 Finally got one !!!!! 4th try this morning.
Great. Well done. Packs will be museum pieces in the future (hopefully).
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

We had two boxes of test kits arrive in the post yesterday, unexpected as we hadn't requested any and I only used one test in the box I obtained a few weeks ago. :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I find I am using more now than when we first had them,mainly due to the fact that I am having a lot more visitors.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

C.A.Versham wrote: 31 Mar 2022 12:38
Great. Well done. Packs will be museum pieces in the future (hopefully).
:goodposting:

Sooner the better.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!

Return to “Chatty Person”