Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Re: Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

piwacket wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:24 Do Aldi have ‘Quick-serve’ ie you get the gadget and click the bar code and then ‘serve yourself’ at the dedicated till….? Another good reason for shopping at Waitrose, Sainsburys - not so often at Asda unless we’re desperate,:)
No, Pi they don’t. Lidl have a scan your own items till, like many now but neither have the hand held scanner. That’s a big investment for many stores and for some reason they’ve decided not to go with them.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

When I lived in Somerset we had an average-sized Tesco min Ilminster which we rarely used for big shops, instead preferring Sainsbury in Taunton or Morrisons in Yeovil, both about 12 miles away.

Now I'm in Reading I do a lot of my 'fresh' food shopping in M&S Food Hall at Woodley or Waitrose at Tilehurst, but use the Tesco in Napier Road for a lot of non-perishable stuff because the range and prices are much better (for example, Kenco is my preferred brand of instant coffee, which is usually on offer at £4 or £4.50 in Tesco, whereas M&S or Waitrose it is rarely sold at anything other than the full price of about £6.59). Tesco also consistently has a better range of sparkling flavoured water than most other supermarkets. Sainsbury is just too far away (although I do occasionally pop into the Broad Street one for the odd items if I'm in town), and Morrisons just seems to be a faff to get to.

There have been some shortages for a while: I haven't been able to get ground white pepper or dishwasher salt for a couple of weeks, for example. What I find frustrating, though, is that most of the supermarkets' fresh produce seems to have a much shorter 'best before' date than was the case a year or so ago, quite often being 'tomorrow' or the day after, which makes doing a week's shopping difficult!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:01I have to wonder whether Waitrose are deliberately shrinking their variety of goods and not restocking the shelves with umpteen different brands of sauce - which is, afterall, the Aldi and Lidl model - on the basis of the customer will buy what’s there......
My brother used to work for a Tesco store in Somerset, and maybe four years or so ago they made a commercial decision to slash the number of different products they stocked, although they still have a much better selection than Aldi and Lidl. Waitrose often surprises me with the things it just doesn't stock, and for many things there's virtually no choice. I wouldn't have thought they had much room to reduce variety.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

With consumables such as tabs and salt, I buy big packs and/or two bags. A couple of people I know have Costco cards, so may do some bulk buying there in future. I’d have to compare prices first.

Costco gammon, although the size of the whole of a pigs leg! Was beautiful meat. I’ve still got half in the freezer. With four adults from April-ish, I’m going to need the logistics e parties of the Army!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Souwester wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:33
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:01I have to wonder whether Waitrose are deliberately shrinking their variety of goods and not restocking the shelves with umpteen different brands of sauce - which is, afterall, the Aldi and Lidl model - on the basis of the customer will buy what’s there......
My brother used to work for a Tesco store in Somerset, and maybe four years or so ago they made a commercial decision to slash the number of different products they stocked, although they still have a much better selection than Aldi and Lidl. Waitrose often surprises me with the things it just doesn't stock, and for many things there's virtually no choice. I wouldn't have thought they had much room to reduce variety.
Depends on their local demographics, to some extent. Most supermarket orders are done centrally, not at branch level. There’s a few tweaks, but the Head Office knows the community location of each of their stores. Therefore, Morrison’s in Whitley and Asda Lower Earley will get more ethic and polish foods stuffs, than those stores in different areas. It’s a myth that each store orders its own stock. The movement of stock is monitored through the till and then ordered centrally.

There are loads and loads of different sorts of laundry wash, for example - powder, liquid, pods, bio, non bio, colour, white, sensitive, eco etc etc.

Also, Aldi tend not to do so many branded goods, whereas Lidl too. Allied Bakeries make bread for both, but primarily own label n Aldi and 50/50 in Lidl as it outsells all others for them.

I’ve been surprised by what Waitrose don’t have as well. For example, fluffy duster refills - I know, first world problem eh.? I started out wanting one as a usual shop. Thinking if they’re more Mede in China, it’s the logistics backed up. Now, I look each week, as an exercise to see if, not when, they restock them again. It’s an easy way of decreasing and then de-listing, slow moving goods. You won’t see 25 sorts of ketchup, maybe three or four - a well known, an own brand, a posh one and a cheapie.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Although having deliveries from Sainsbury’s has been a great boon during the last two years I actually quite miss actually walking round the store. I don’t know yet whether we’ll go back to that or carry on with deliveries. At the moment two of the main routes in and out of the village are closed for repairs to bridges which makes driving to Sainsbury’s very difficult and even what was a ten minute trip to Aldi is now about half an hour. It’s a blasted nuisance and the latest closure is set to last until at the earliest December, the other one has been closed for 18 months and still isn’t scheduled to reopen until the spring but that’s flexible. The main road into Cheltenham is also covered in roadworks as is the main route into Gloucester! The bus journey into town will be 40 minutes instead of the usual 20 and there’s a walk to the bus stop that we didn’t have to do before. We think the powers that be are trying to keep us contained !
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:29 No, Pi they don’t. Lidl have a scan your own items till, like many now but neither have the hand held scanner. That’s a big investment for many stores and for some reason they’ve decided not to go with them.
Hmm - OK big investment - but would please the customers I think - it may well mean a couple of pence more on each item to recoup it,but as both Aldi & Lidl seem to make much of how cheap they are, they’d still be cheaper than the others I’d guess?
Queuing endlessly at the till is a soulless task :(
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Both Aldi and Lidl cashiers are VERY fast 🙄
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Mayfield wrote: 16 Jan 2022 15:17 Both Aldi and Lidl cashiers are VERY fast 🙄
The packing shelves help with that too. They know their clientele, so can’t see them getting hand held devices articulately soon. The people that shop there are very price conscious and don’t care about technology enough to wear higher prices, I shouldn’t think.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Well perhaps in these times I should not say it but I find that Waitrose employs some very attractive staff. When I chat to the youngsters on the tills they all seem to be doing interesting courses at college and have ambitions. When I have needed help they have been unfailingly helpful, even checking where an item I wanted was in stock at another branch. As that branch happened to be at Canary Wharf I decided not to make the trip!
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Lol Cav. The younger Voice always seemed to not mind helping, if I said I needed to go to Waitrose......
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

I use the Sainsbury’s Smartshop handheld device. Never have to queue at the checkout and I get special “nectar prices” via the Nectar app.

Aldi occasionally too for a smaller shop and again I rarely have to queue. I don’t tend to buy much as I eat a fairly settled diet
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:24Do Aldi have ‘Quick-serve’ ie you get the gadget and click the bar code and then ‘serve yourself’ at the dedicated till….? Another good reason for shopping at Waitrose, Sainsburys - not so often at Asda unless we’re desperate,:)
I've never seen the attraction in being an unpaid cashier...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 16 Jan 2022 20:28
piwacket wrote: 16 Jan 2022 13:24Do Aldi have ‘Quick-serve’ ie you get the gadget and click the bar code and then ‘serve yourself’ at the dedicated till….? Another good reason for shopping at Waitrose, Sainsburys - not so often at Asda unless we’re desperate,:)
I've never seen the attraction in being an unpaid cashier...
No neither did I and argued the point at the time it was introduced - however OH is happy to undertake the task - and I can’t deny it’s certainly much quicker than queuing- sometimes behind some numpty with numerous coupons, or who can’t find their purse - or there’s not enough (paid) cashiers on duty! If I’m their one my own it’s usually for just one or two items and I don’t bother to use it. There are other perks too, some good discounts occasionally.
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

As a mere male who does shopping but no longer enjoys it For me using ‘Quick serve” Is Ideal I can shop, scan the item and place it on my shopping bag in my trolley. At end of my shopping expedition I scan end get my receipt and GO. This opposed to picking goods off the shelf, throwing them in my trolley then join the queue to a cashier, unload my trolley and whist she is scanning my items I have to pack my bags. I know which of the two options I prefer
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ooo. The Alledged and self serve scanners. Not a happy pairing 😳
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 20:55 Ooo. The Alledged and self serve scanners. Not a happy pairing 😳
Why ever not?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

piwacket wrote: 16 Jan 2022 21:02
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 20:55 Ooo. The Alledged and self serve scanners. Not a happy pairing 😳
Why ever not?
How long you got? 😂

Bar code is ‘wrong’
Doesn’t go through first time
Or second
Or third
Now swiping it at high velocity
Accompanied by swear words
Stabbing motions at the screen
‘What you mean how many bags?’
I forgot this one
Where do you put the bag?
Where does the basket go?
Is a potato a root vegetable
Course I’m over bleddy 25!
Why is it beeping at me?

As nauseum. The Alledged and shops are not exactly well acquainted, let alone the scanners. He’d freak out at the hand held ones.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Pooneil wrote: 16 Jan 2022 20:28]I've never seen the attraction in being an unpaid cashier...
Me neither... and certainly not when I'm trying to do a week's shopping.

On the occasions I go to Tesco in Napier Road I tend to go later in the evening, but got caught out last March because they had just started closing their manned tills at 10pm (although the store is still open till midnight - not 24 hours like it was pre-pandemic). I was mightily peed off.

A few weeks back I was a little later getting out than intended, but I made the effort to get my shopping done and get to the checkout before 10pm... only to find that both the two manned checkouts were closed at 9:55pm. I complained and was told the staff were only paid until 10pm and needed to be finished by then. I have to admit I kicked up a bit of a fuss and one of the cashiers agreed to let me go through her till. As it happens I was all sorted by 10:01pm.

It was a little different in Waitrose today, where three cashiers were happily dealing with the remaining (small) queues at a few minutes after 4pm.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 21:13 How long you got?
…….
As nauseum. The Alledged and shops are not exactly well acquainted, let alone the scanners. He’d freak out at the hand held ones.
:roflol3:
But the handheld ones are so much easier!
Granted those where you just swipe can be a pain in the **** as we’ve found in M&S sometimes.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

re Tesco Napier Road.

I once got a person who was finishing her shift in 10 minutes, so he threw every at me at the till as quickly as she could. (mind you some do that when they're not finishing they're shift) - I find it rather rude. There's only so quickly you can pack, and sometimes you have to pack strategically as to not squash or break anything.

If they go too quick, I go VERY slow on purpose.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I’ve never seen the attraction of putting my things in my trolley, loading them onto the cashier point then reloading them into trolley. Scanning with a handset means I can pack strategically as I go usually depending on goods destination at home, and I do it once…easy 🙂
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 15 Jan 2022 17:22
ChipbuttyG wrote: 15 Jan 2022 10:18 The best supermarket in Reading, hands down is Morrison's.
In your opinion :)
Personally I’ve only been there once, and wasn’t impressed enough to warrant ‘going the extra mile’ through traffic, to shop there again.
We used to go but then heard about a few problems / complaints they had – one was from friends of ours (over some fruit they’d bought that wasn’t ’right’) who got mistreated quite badly over it
That and prices went up at the time, so we stopped going
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 17 Jan 2022 09:40 I’ve never seen the attraction of putting my things in my trolley, loading them onto the cashier point then reloading them into trolley. Scanning with a handset means I can pack strategically as I go usually depending on goods destination at home, and I do it once…easy 🙂
The fewer people who use scan and go or self service check-outs the better imo. The more people who use them, the less check out staff these supermarkets are likely to employ.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

We shopped at our local Aldi on Saturday and got everything required, including tissues - no empty shelves in there
Only thing I couldn’t get was un-ground sea-salt, but that’s as they only sell it in those silly little grinder things
Will get some next time at Home Bargains (as we do for the odd thing Aldi don’t sell) as cheaper than elsewhere
Did get two nice fillet steaks, we shared one last night (OH only has a little bit) and they were gorgeous

Must admit I do miss scan-n-go and self-scans but I don’t miss all the hassle of them going wrong / having to call an assistant for items that need ‘approval’ or having it all emptied / checked for security spot-checks!
Pius like chatting / the interaction with the people on the tills - and Aldi always open extra tills if busy so rarely wait for long
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Handset scanning doesn't exist around here! I never use the self checkouts after the electronic female kept shouting at me because I had not removed a bag or something equally trivial. It did attract an assistant though who attempted to educate me, I told her that I already have someone at home with no patience so the last thing I need is to come shopping and get yelled at. Likewise with the one and only time I ventured 12 miles to Aldi, I always pack my bag as I go at the checkout so the operator was not impressed when I was wrestling with a basket, bag and walking stick with folk waiting plus they didn't have our usual brands in stock anyway and their versions of them were pretty poor to be honest.. I'm quite content to potter around Iceland or Sainsburys locally and order a home delivery monthly from Morrisions, although their online stock omits many items that can be bought in their store but we can cope with that. All Midlands orders come from their warehouse near Tamworth overnight and are then delivered to us from either their Tamworth, Sheffield or Manchester depots.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

A very strange thing I noticed at Tesco Portman Road or Tesco Reading W Extra to call it by it's official name.

NO MALT WHISKY. I went in to buy some for an Xmas present. I went in again last week and they still don't have any. Other stores stock it.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

I bought some several weeks before Christmas at Napier Rd. It was all on a very good offer, which probably cleared their stocks.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Jan 2022 09:26 re Tesco Napier Road.

Are you one of those irritating Bxxxxxxxs who insist on packing everything before getting their purse out?
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

maggieaitch wrote: 17 Jan 2022 12:56 I bought some several weeks before Christmas at Napier Rd. It was all on a very good offer, which probably cleared their stocks.
We saw it and then were surprised it had all gone a week later. Other Tesco stores have malts. Just not that store. We asked the chap. He looked on his device and said Napier Road were out too. We went over to Napier Road and they had plenty. The Newbury Store had plenty too.

I was in the Newbury store on Saturday. The malt whisky section was very well stocked.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’d love to know why Kleenex extra large tissues are still out of stock, neither Sainsbury’s nor Tesco’s has them. I’ve tried other tissues but I still prefer Kleenex. The last time we went to Sainsbury’s they didn’t even have their own brand.
BY Paulo Coelho
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

mikejee wrote: 17 Jan 2022 13:01
ChipbuttyG wrote: 17 Jan 2022 09:26 re Tesco Napier Road.

Are you one of those irritating Bxxxxxxxs who insist on packing everything before getting their purse out?
Eh?

What normally happens is

You put your shopping on the conveyor belt.
Checkout staff scan it.
You pop it in your bag(s).
Then they say "that'll be £xx please"
Then you pay.

That's the norm isn't it? Why would anyone get their wallet/purse out before everything has been scanned when you need your hands to pack?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 17 Jan 2022 13:08 I’d love to know why Kleenex extra large tissues are still out of stock, neither Sainsbury’s nor Tesco’s has them. I’ve tried other tissues but I still prefer Kleenex. The last time we went to Sainsbury’s they didn’t even have their own brand.
Maybe there’s a lot of runny nose type colds, like we had for a few days?
Try chemists…..?
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

lizwing wrote: 17 Jan 2022 13:08 I’d love to know why Kleenex extra large tissues are still out of stock, neither Sainsbury’s nor Tesco’s has them. I’ve tried other tissues but I still prefer Kleenex. The last time we went to Sainsbury’s they didn’t even have their own brand.
I was in Waitrose (Woodley) yesterday, and although I didn't want tissues and wasn't particularly paying attention, there did seem to be some big gaps in the general area of tissues, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were out of stock too.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

No Pi, not even in local chemists, McColls or Co op.
BY Paulo Coelho

Return to “Shopping in Reading”