Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

piwacket

Re: Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Post by piwacket »

As said previously we do our main shop at Waitrose in Woodley, but over the last few weeks that’s becoming more of a problem with ‘shortages’ - I don’t know about ‘cutting stock levels’ …but they seem to have shelves of the most odd things, hardly everyday purchases I’d doubt - but are short on many ‘everyday’ items - choice of veggies is poor for example. And a really odd thing last week - the Deli counter - cold meats and cheeses was ‘closed’ - at first I thought maybe the fridge had packed up, but no everything was there but covered - and not for sale :? I wanted a piece of Blue cheese that OH likes - I could see there were pieces cut and wrapped so just needed pricing - I asked if I could buy it, No I couldn’t — why? No explanation given. Shortage of staff? Plenty of staff around, couldn’t one of them just put it on the scales and price it - No…..Not good customer service!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 11 Jan 2022 12:13 As said previously we do our main shop at Waitrose in Woodley, but over the last few weeks that’s becoming more of a problem with ‘shortages’ - I don’t know about ‘cutting stock levels’ …but they seem to have shelves of the most odd things, hardly everyday purchases I’d doubt - but are short on many ‘everyday’ items - choice of veggies is poor for example. And a really odd thing last week - the Deli counter - cold meats and cheeses was ‘closed’ - at first I thought maybe the fridge had packed up, but no everything was there but covered - and not for sale :? I wanted a piece of Blue cheese that OH likes - I could see there were pieces cut and wrapped so just needed pricing - I asked if I could buy it, No I couldn’t — why? No explanation given. Shortage of staff? Plenty of staff around, couldn’t one of them just put it on the scales and price it - No…..Not good customer service!
I would guess that the handling of any food behind the deli conter that is not packed and sealed requires some sort of handling and hygiene training and certification. In fact it may be that even entering that area needs such training and certification; if that's the case, and no such staff were available, then nobody could serve. Almost sounds like somebody got pulled away/ sent home at short notice, and maybe it wasn't packed away Astley had sourced some emergency staff, but they hadn't arrived yet.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 11 Jan 2022 15:05 I would guess that the handling of any food behind the deli conter that is not packed and sealed requires some sort of handling and hygiene training and certification. In fact it may be that even entering that area needs such training and certification; if that's the case, and no such staff were available, then nobody could serve. Almost sounds like somebody got pulled away/ sent home at short notice, and maybe it wasn't packed away Astley had sourced some emergency staff, but they hadn't arrived yet.
Well yes, some training to some extent, but from observations previously when there’s not been anyone there serving - whoever is passing by will go round behind - wash their hands, don gloves - and that’s all that seems to be required… often whoever’s on the meat counter will come over and do just that - but no, not this time…..
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 11 Jan 2022 15:10
Pooneil wrote: 11 Jan 2022 15:05 I would guess that the handling of any food behind the deli conter that is not packed and sealed requires some sort of handling and hygiene training and certification. In fact it may be that even entering that area needs such training and certification; if that's the case, and no such staff were available, then nobody could serve. Almost sounds like somebody got pulled away/ sent home at short notice, and maybe it wasn't packed away Astley had sourced some emergency staff, but they hadn't arrived yet.
Well yes, some training to some extent, but from observations previously when there’s not been anyone there serving - whoever is passing by will go round behind - wash their hands, don gloves - and that’s all that seems to be required… often whoever’s on the meat counter will come over and do just that - but no, not this time…..
Perhaps whoever had been on there had got a late illness notification and they were waiting on guidance on what they had to do with stock that had been potentially exposed. I wouldn't exactly expect them to tell everyone that whoever had been working there had been taken ill.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 11 Jan 2022 15:34 Perhaps whoever had been on there had got a late illness notification and they were waiting on guidance on what they had to do with stock that had been potentially exposed. I wouldn't exactly expect them to tell everyone that whoever had been working there had been taken ill.
Hmmph ?? well I shall enquire when we go this week, all seemed most odd.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I've noticed a few shortages, though nothing of any real concern. What is interesting is the different way in which shops respond. Some leave the shelves empty, but in M&S recently, they had no double or triple Belgian chocolate cookies (what is this, North Korea?), just the singles, but they had arranged them to cover all three spaces.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It’s called ‘facing up’ and is common practice - empty spaces don’t sell anything 😉
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

The deli counter in our Sainsbury’s has been closed since the start of all this nonsense, there’s an Italian wine that we like that’s been out of stock for weeks, I can’t get Kleenex and my cereal was unavailable for several weeks too. I suppose it must be distribution problems.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I think Sainsbury's have closed all their meat, fish and Deli counters permanently. I believe it was cost cutting not covid that caused this
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Tissues seem to be an problem everywhere - no where ever seems to have their full range - OH likes what used to be called ‘Man Size’ very hit and Miss whether they are available.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 11 Jan 2022 20:12 Tissues seem to be an problem everywhere - no where ever seems to have their full range - OH likes what used to be called ‘Man Size’ very hit and Miss whether they are available.
OH bought a box of Man size tissue in Sainsburys Winnersh last week….
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

KeithW wrote: 11 Jan 2022 16:29 I've noticed a few shortages, though nothing of any real concern. What is interesting is the different way in which shops respond. Some leave the shelves empty, but in M&S recently, they had no double or triple Belgian chocolate cookies (what is this, North Korea?), just the singles, but they had arranged them to cover all three spaces.
They also had stacks of boxes of mince pies reduced to 18p a box and my favourite marmalade was back in stock as well Yummy
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

What’s your favourite Marmalade CAV ?

I have a batch of Seville on the go …deciding whether to add Whisky, Sherry or Gin 🙂

Next lot will probably be Dark Oxford …
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I didn’t know that Mike, we rarely go to Sainsbury’s because we have our shopping delivered so I only noticed the closed deli a couple of weeks ago and assumed it was a temporary measure. At the moment the deli counters are just closed I wonder what they’ll replace them with.
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Liz
This covers the meat and fish counters
https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/food ... ler%20said.
At my local (Calcot store) the delicatessen counters shut a while after. The only ones still there are the fresh pizza and hot chicken sections. There is a new section selling sushi type things (Ugh) and much extended shelves selling foreign sourced specialities and sweets(polish, american etc), usually quite expensive (and as far as the american stuff inedible to me)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I must say I like a proper Deli counter, where you can a buy a bit of this or that, and not a pre-packed quantity… I don’t buy pre-packed anything if I can avoid it, especially veg - where again I can buy some of these and those. Possibly Waitrose are the only Supermarket still offering that choice?

Mike - agree about the American ‘candies’! I do occasionally buy a pack of sushi, provided it has no shell fish - which I suppose then defeats the purpose of Sushi :)
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Mayfield wrote: 11 Jan 2022 22:06 What’s your favourite Marmalade CAV ?
Mandarin (at the moment!)
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

C.A.Versham wrote: 11 Jan 2022 22:49
Mayfield wrote: 11 Jan 2022 22:06 What’s your favourite Marmalade CAV ?
Mandarin (at the moment!)
Sounds good :) do like marmalade with Lime,or ginger, but OH is not keen - and we haven’t agreed his and her marmalades:)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

The friend ~I go walking with likes to have some of the Lime I make for her OH. My sister likes the pink grapefruit and gin.

Mandarin sounds good - I like fresh, zesty tasting marmalades, or a little bitter, but not sweet.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

The best supermarket in Reading, hands down is Morrison's.

Best fish counter, butchery and deli. However, they're prices on many branded things seem to be sky rocketing.

Tesco's seem to have the best deals on mainstream products but you do have to have a clubcard.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Thanks for that link Mike.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 15 Jan 2022 10:18 The best supermarket in Reading, hands down is Morrison's.
In your opinion :)
Personally I’ve only been there once, and wasn’t impressed enough to warrant ‘going the extra mile’ through traffic, to shop there again.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Marks and Spencer and Waitrose are my favourites with Aldi for some things. Tesco is OK, but I rarely buy much food there…not really keen on Asda or Morrisons …Sainsburys is not too bad….but go there rarely…

Each to their own…
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Where I live is most convenient. The big shop is done at WAITROSE, What I cannot get there I go to M & S food hall. For the basic items that these two outlets do no cover I go to Sainsbury’s Winnersh. And for odds and ends I go to the co-op. It works for me. Is there a supermarket that honestly caters for everybody’s needs to fheir satisfaction. Plus due to something called COVID if even going shopping gets me out of the House its a plus.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

We are not too bad off here. I have just been reading a message from someone I know who lives in Port Elgin, which is a small town in Ontario, with no large supermarket , but only smallmstores. apaprently most food comes from the US originally and for various reasons much is not getting through, and much of what does come through goes to the large supermarkets. As a result ,m at present, meat and fresh fruit are rare there, amd shelves are really bare for much of the time
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I have a friend in Point Robert, which is Washington State, it’s position means supplies having to cross into Canada and then back out again to Point Robert. There is only store and during Covid border regulations meant they were getting very few supplies indeed. In the end I think a ferry was reinstated to get goods in.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 15 Jan 2022 17:22
ChipbuttyG wrote: 15 Jan 2022 10:18 The best supermarket in Reading, hands down is Morrison's.
In your opinion :)
Personally I’ve only been there once, and wasn’t impressed enough to warrant ‘going the extra mile’ through traffic, to shop there again.
Of the main large ones. I wasn't including M&S or Waitrose.
Morrisons has a very good fish counter and butchery and deli that are much better than Tesco and Sainbury's.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

LoL in my book Waitrose IS a main large one 🙂
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Nah. Their product lines are much smaller than Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I think they are broadly comparable food wise, the supermarkets you mention all have large homeware, clothing, entertainment sections .

They do however focus very much on ‘own brand’ but that suits me as for instance Waitrose and Aldi both have animal welfare policies I am broadly happy with ( nothing is perfect and I haven’t really looked at M&S ) in addition I often ‘bulk buy’ good offers, getting enough for several weeks or months if appropriate. I’m fortunate to have enough storage…
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 16 Jan 2022 10:08 LoL in my book Waitrose IS a main large one 🙂
I’d agree there. Their Fish Counter is very good (at Woodley anyway) so is their butcher, if a tad expensive - not keen on M&S meat as it’s all pre-packed so impossible to know from the general look at it, and the odd pack I’ve bought hasn’t been particularly great. Tesco’s store In Napier Road is too vast for shopping for two, so only ever been once - and no way will we travel into town to do grocery shopping.
When working in town, I’d often do the weekly shop in Sainsburys in Friar Street and (then) it was fine.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We have a regular deliver from Sainsbury’s who’ve never let us down and I request no substitutions. Only had a problem with one delivery a couple of months ago when a lot of stuff was damaged, bags of flour split, boxes of rice torn, Comfort bottle leaked but the driver reported it and everything that had been damaged was refunded, plus he claimed for a few things which weren’t damaged as an apology so I did quite well. Our nearest Waitrose is right in the middle of Cheltenham so we rarely go there but there’s a new Aldi close by which we visit often and a nice little Co op which is the only place that seems to sell pudding rice! just round the corner is a Premier store where we get the paper and sometimes milk and eggs if we’re running low between deliveries from the milkman. There’s a medium sized Tesco the other side of the village too which OH often pops into. Hopefully soon we shall be able to resume a normal big shop at Sainsbury’s and they’ll start selling Kleenex again!
BY Paulo Coelho
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

piwacket wrote: 16 Jan 2022 12:00
Mayfield wrote: 16 Jan 2022 10:08 LoL in my book Waitrose IS a main large one 🙂
I’d agree there. Their Fish Counter is very good (at Woodley anyway) so is their butcher, if a tad expensive - not keen on M&S meat as it’s all pre-packed so impossible to know from the general look at it, and the odd pack I’ve bought hasn’t been particularly great. Tesco’s store In Napier Road is too vast for shopping for two, so only ever been once - and no way will we travel into town to do grocery shopping.
When working in town, I’d often do the weekly shop in Sainsburys in Friar Street and (then) it was fine.
The fish counter at Waitrose is decent enough. Just not as good as Morrisons. Although what I'd give for another decent fishmongers in Reading!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I think I mentioned, months back, that several brands were either low or missing entirely from Waitrose Occy Road. This has remained the case, and is one of the reasons is stopped click and collect/delivery - if they don’t have what I want on the shelf, I can pick something else and/or plan another meal with what is there. The stock levels fluctuate across the whole of their ranges, but the shelves have not returned to their previous full state. We were warned about this, when the shortage of drivers first bit, such that the shelves would have goods on 5em but perhaps not the variety.

That said, (at least our local) Aldi seem to have been consistently well stocked for at least the past six months. Eggs is eggs is eggs, so I get staples there like milk and cheese, sometimes their 28 day aged steak which is great. I don’t shop in Tesco, Sainsbury or Morrison’s as i either don’t like the goods or can’t be bothered to drive. Co-op does lovely salmon fillets, knocks spots off Waitrose. M and S simply shop,is nice for treats and Asda is ok for larger sizes of branded goods.

I think the days of the big, one supermarket, family shop are gone. People are much more savvy shoppers, and the Aldi and Lidl’s of this world have brought in stiff competition. They know their target market and can entice the Jocastas and Tarquinius in with their premium ranges (which are very good by and large) plus being European they’ve got scale on their side.

When I was about 10/12, my mum and dad used to traipse to Tesco each week and load up with everything. These days we have lots of choice, quite a few ‘artisan’ places for breads and cheeses, and loads of fresh fruit and exotic herbs and spices to hand. Pretty spoiled really.

I have to wonder whether Waitrose are deliberately shrinking their variety of goods and not restocking the shelves with umpteen different brands of sauce - which is, afterall, the Aldi and Lidl model - on the basis of the customer will buy what’s there......
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Do Aldi have ‘Quick-serve’ ie you get the gadget and click the bar code and then ‘serve yourself’ at the dedicated till….? Another good reason for shopping at Waitrose, Sainsburys - not so often at Asda unless we’re desperate,:)

Return to “Shopping in Reading”