Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Stewart
Super Contributor

Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Post by Stewart »

Probably me being paranoid. But I do a shop now and many shelves seem, well, empty, or only one type. No choice. With the pandemic and Brexit in one hit, in a way not at all surprised. But worrying...
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Re: Is It Me. Are shelves Bare?

Post by C.A.Versham »

Not really noticed it today when I went shopping. Both M&S and Waitrose seem to have sold out of Easter Eggs tough but these are not an essential item. I wonder what with more people staying at home this Easter if there is an increased demand.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

C.A.Versham wrote: 03 Apr 2021 17:29 ...or if there is an increased demand.
Possibly shops are being more cautious in ordering in stock that if not sold now will need to be heavily disounted to be sold at a loss.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I get everything delivered. Not noticed any problems with my Waitrose orders (which come from the Caversham branch) or Ocado orders (which includes M&S)

I have heard from my neice who works in a largish Boots (in a small town in Worcestershire), which is in a set of shops which also includes M&S. Argos and Next, that things have been chaotic in the last couple of days. Car park full, permanent queues for M&S, since Thursday.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It still surprises me the things that aren’t available in my Sainsbury’s order. Mixed herbs, pepper corns, sweetener, washing up liquid etc. The supply of bread flour is still restricted too.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I have had a different brand of seeded bread substituted for the one I wanted, and a Waitrose didn't have the fancy tomatoes I wanted last week, but apart from that, no problems.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

... can’t say we’ve noticed any particular shortages as such - Waitrose is the main shop, and yes there are certain items missing for a week or two but that’s all, and the top up shopping at Sainsbury’s and maybe M&S hasn’t raised any problems.... temporary shortages that’s all.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Imports are way down (as well as exports), plus I suspect that this long weekend has distorted buying patterns, plus the desire to celeberte something, anything (pretty much everywhere has sold out of Easter egss, where for the last few years you could trawl virtually any supermarket on the Tuesday after Easter and scoop up armfuls of cheap eggs). Yes, there are some supply problems, but the problem is patchy rather than widespread.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

lizwing wrote: 03 Apr 2021 18:14 It still surprises me the things that aren’t available in my Sainsbury’s order. Mixed herbs, pepper corns, sweetener, washing up liquid etc. The supply of bread flour is still restricted too.
That seems odd, esp bread flour, I noticed Waitrose had lots ( because it was where I was expecting to see Plain Flour, which had moved ) The other stuff too.
Have you got a local Aldi ? They do click and collect now ...and those are standard lines
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Our Aldi stopped stocking bread flour Mayfield, we haven’t been shopping since last year, we rely on deliveries until we’ve both had our vaccinations, I’m waiting for my second one.
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Hope it’s not long Liz...

I was going to do it, but decided to visit the shop at a quiet time I think I went quite early...

The Aldi click and collect service gets good reviews, you park in a designated place and they bring it out and iirc even put it in your-open boot . Lots of people who have been voluntarily shielding have spoken highly of it .
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

I can't see myself ever going back to supermarkets again.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Shopped in Sainsburys yesterday and there didn't appear to be any shortages? Certainly plenty of flour, mixed fruit, bread and milk etc on the shelves. Had to queue for a couple of minutes but the store wasn't very busy and I was soon on my way back home. I have noticed that a lot of the items we usually have online from Morrissons are not available though, bread flour being just one of them.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Conforming to my stereotypical view of Guardian readers I was expecting a story about shortages of vegan cheeses and Quorn.

I'm pleased that shops have sold out of Easter eggs as it avoids food and packaging waste from unsold products. People are probably treating themselves and others. Some of the 'eggs' this year are marvels of food production technology.

I'm also so old fashioned to think that hot cross buns should only be sold around Easter time rather than all year.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Avis wrote: 04 Apr 2021 10:34 I can't see myself ever going back to supermarkets again.
Really? I can’t wait to get to doing own shopping, once OH is fit enough.... daughter is kindly doing it at present, and does quite well bless her - but I’d rather pick and choose myself.... sad times - to be looking forward to going to a supermarket :))
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

piwacket wrote: 04 Apr 2021 13:13
Avis wrote: 04 Apr 2021 10:34 I can't see myself ever going back to supermarkets again.
Really? I can’t wait to get to doing own shopping, once OH is fit enough.... daughter is kindly doing it at present, and does quite well bless her - but I’d rather pick and choose myself.... sad times - to be looking forward to going to a supermarket :))
Each to their own. Just as well not everyone feels as I do, or the shops would close. Nothing short of a dire emergency would get me into a shop right now. That might change over time, but even so, having everything delivered has been so brilliant, that even if I feel less panicky, I doubt if I will feel less lazy!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

C.A.Versham wrote: 04 Apr 2021 12:18I'm pleased that shops have sold out of Easter eggs as it avoids food and packaging waste from unsold products.
They never go unsold - they just get sold off cheap on the Tuesday after Easter, and very occasionally the Wednesday and Thursday too.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Who’s daft enough to go Easter egg shopping on the day before Easter Sunday ?
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 04 Apr 2021 17:30 Who’s daft enough to go Easter egg shopping on the day before Easter Sunday ?
Those that go Christmas shopping in Christmas Eve maybe?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Yes, I know they get sold off cheap but my point would be that the same amount of chocolate can be bought almost as cheap if not cheaper in other forms.

I do detect this year though a slight reduction in plastic packaging from some manufacturers which is welcome.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 03 Apr 2021 20:53 ... can’t say we’ve noticed any particular shortages as such - Waitrose is the main shop, and yes there are certain items missing for a week or two but that’s all, and the top up shopping at Sainsbury’s and maybe M&S hasn’t raised any problems.... temporary shortages that’s all.
We’ve experienced the same with good stocks when wanted and only the odd occasionally item missing-
And we use a different set of shops, so shows most are all stocked okay
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

lizwing wrote: 04 Apr 2021 09:38 Our Aldi stopped stocking bread flour Mayfield, we haven’t been shopping since last year, we rely on deliveries until we’ve both had our vaccinations, I’m waiting for my second one.
Our Aldi has had good stocks of bread flour, plus they do pre-prepared bread mixes that we use a lot

Only oddities recently has been Camembert, but I’ve got that form another branch of theirs! Courgettes went missing, but that seemed to be in general from all shops I tried for about a fortnight, and this week it was parsnips – but they had them on offer so sold out!
Guessing many opted for roast this weekend
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

C.A.Versham wrote: 04 Apr 2021 18:42 Yes, I know they get sold off cheap but my point would be that the same amount of chocolate can be bought almost as cheap if not cheaper in other forms.

I do detect this year though a slight reduction in plastic packaging from some manufacturers which is welcome.
OH wanted a fancy egg from Aldi as they had them on special offer
I looked at the ‘price per 100g’ and compared it to ‘normal’ chocolate – it was barely a few pence more compared to their own brand luxury stuff
Interestingly even at full price it worked out cheaper than other ‘normal’ bar brands
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

OLDMAN wrote: 06 Apr 2021 12:43
lizwing wrote: 04 Apr 2021 09:38 Our Aldi stopped stocking bread flour Mayfield, we haven’t been shopping since last year, we rely on deliveries until we’ve both had our vaccinations, I’m waiting for my second one.
Our Aldi has had good stocks of bread flour, plus they do pre-prepared bread mixes that we use a lot

Only oddities recently has been Camembert, but I’ve got that form another branch of theirs! Courgettes went missing, but that seemed to be in general from all shops I tried for about a fortnight, and this week it was parsnips – but they had them on offer so sold out!
Guessing many opted for roast this weekend
Yes and parsnips are coming to the end of their best season too.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Only real bugbear has been that nowhere has the cat food we normally buy, so have had to resort to Amazon - where there’s plenty, but more expensive.
I suppose in the grand scheme of things, “they” don’t care - but when you’ve got two cats it’s a pain! :) I wonder if dog food is the same?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

London son has had problems getting Tipsy’s favourite food too Pi, she’ll only eat Felix 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 06 Apr 2021 13:59 London son has had problems getting Tipsy’s favourite food too Pi, she’ll only eat Felix 😊
Ha- well there’s plenty of Felix here - both in the shops and our garage, where we’ve bought it, but the cats won’t eat !
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Andrew buys it wherever he sees it and we bought three big boxes in our Tesco which he took back with him on Sunday, so she’s ok for a few weeks! The manager of Sainsbury’s said it’s because so many dogs and cats were bought during lockdown that the demand for pet food has rocketed. Sadly many of the poor things are being dumped now.
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Lady I know has given up her dog walking business in favour of expanding the dog training, because so many new owners don’t have a clue...
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It sounded like such a good idea...get a pet to help you through lockdown, for exercise, for company but now they’re too much trouble so they’re being taken to places like Battersea to be rehomed, how selfish people are.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 06 Apr 2021 16:44 Lady I know has given up her dog walking business in favour of expanding the dog training, because so many new owners don’t have a clue...
Sadly that’s true - even amongst people we know.
Dear friends who had a dog a couple of years ago, which was soo badly behaved, jumping up and running mad round the garden, which they just laughed off... unfortunately it developed a serious illness and had to be put to sleep. Just before Christmas they got another - young puppy, to which I commented that I hoped she’d be trained. “oh we think we can do that” to which I commented that I hope so. He called the other day and said he’d like to bring the new puppy round to meet OH .... but she might run a bit wild round your flowerbeds! At which I said something like that maybe it wasn’t a good idea then! Difficult, because he’s such a long-standing friend.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

lizwing wrote: 06 Apr 2021 13:59 London son has had problems getting Tipsy’s favourite food too Pi, she’ll only eat Felix 😊
Tell me about it! I've been to Pets at Home in Winnersh, Wokingham and Reading. Mr Fussy pants has lowered himself to eat Webbox, which was about all they had. There was a delivery of Whiskas, but no Felix.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
sarahbentley
Contributor

Post by sarahbentley »

Went to town this morning and popped into a few shops and shelves were bare but also the staff were saying they were low on certain supply of products, like shoes and tech. Lots of supply chain issues
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I think it depends on which shops as majority we use haven’t any problems with stocks apart from odd items
I do wonder if its an excuse to run down their stock holding and reduces costs in some cases?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Shopping in Reading”