Wouldn't have guessed this photo was of Green Park

Pooneil

Wouldn't have guessed this photo was of Green Park

Post by Pooneil »

Quite impressive looking - certainly different. Image
Other pictures and story in GetReading
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Re: Wouldn't have guessed this photo was of Green Park

Post by piwacket »

Hmm - maybe OK looking now, but those blue lap-board houses are going to look pretty tacky after a few rainy and frosty winters I’d think - the weather here is not like Florida. All looks like a model village. Reminds me of that song “Little boxes ....” :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 03 Mar 2021 23:38 Hmm - maybe OK looking now, but those blue lap-board houses are going to look pretty tacky after a few rainy and frosty winters I’d think - the weather here is not like Florida. All looks like a model village. Reminds me of that song “Little boxes ....” :)
If they were wood, then that would be the case, but those are three storey houses, and I think UK building regs don't let you build wooden houses more than two storeys. I suspect it's either metal or plastic cladding that just looks like painted wood. (As an aside, I have friends in Norway, near Bergen on the North Sea coast, and many of the houses there are made of wood and look fabulous, even ones built in the 19th century.)

I'd also have to say that whilst I entirely understand your comment, I think these are quite big boxes! :wink: But there's certainly a feel of model village to that shot - maybe somebody can stick a Hornby train set in there with the Green Park station!

The houses that inspired Malvina Reynolds' song were far less grand than these - they were in Daly City, just south of San Francisco, and you can see them from the BART train as you go from SF International airport into the city (you can see where the lyrics "There's a pink one and a green one, and a blue one and a yellow one" came from!):
Image Not to mention, as per the song, those little boxes were all made out of ticky-tacky, meaning cheaply built, of low quality. Since I think those "lakefront" houses are going for north of £600k, I'd like to think they most definitely ain't "ticky-tacky" :-)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 04 Mar 2021 00:11 If they were wood, then that would be the case, but those are three storey houses, and I think UK building regs don't let you build wooden houses more than two storeys. I suspect it's either metal or plastic cladding....
:bigeyes1: for £600K + :? let alone the cheek by jowl layout ......
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I see they've put a webcam there, looks chilly...

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webca ... svaer.html
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

KeithW wrote: 04 Mar 2021 11:29 I see they've put a webcam there, looks chilly...

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webca ... svaer.html
... think I got a bit lost ... showing an office at alpha Works ?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The lakeside houses sold for £800,000+ when they were released. Looking at one of them, I can think of better houses to spend nearly £1m on - https://www.onthemarket.com/details/6412833/
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 04 Mar 2021 16:21 The lakeside houses sold for £800,000+ when they were released. Looking at one of them, I can think of better houses to spend nearly £1m on - https://www.onthemarket.com/details/6412833/
Agree there Fed-up, though not necessarily one or two of those shown. Several houses in our road have sold for those prices - and we don’t have to tackle the A33 either :)
sarahbentley
Contributor

Post by sarahbentley »

They look beautiful when driving in Green Park, but yeah I wonder how it'll be maintained in the different seasons.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”