ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
Mayfield

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by Mayfield »

We went out to lunch at Quattro and they have already had cancellations because of the traffic…..

Next week there are planned road works on Caversham Road too🙄
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Long queue today. The road after the bridge towards Caversham is one lane with the filter blocked off. The contractor's vehicle were parked there today and three chaps in orange work wear stood around having a chat. Some drivers of course venture across the roundabout by the Crowne Plaza blocking the road for those turning right. Deep joy!
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

C.A.Versham wrote: 19 Mar 2022 20:01 Long queue today. The road after the bridge towards Caversham is one lane with the filter blocked off.
I don't think it would help much if the filter were open as it would only need a vehicle or two waiting at the lights to go straight on to block access to it in any case. I have noticed that there are a couple of workmen apparently supervising the lights trying their best to keep traffic flowing or ready to make repairs.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Anyone got an update on what’s happening in Wilderness Road or the Shinfield Road - have to go that way on Tuesday.
Yes, I know we can go via LE Way, but prefer the old route.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

piwacket wrote: 20 Mar 2022 17:23 Anyone got an update on what’s happening in Wilderness Road or the Shinfield Road - have to go that way on Tuesday.
Nothing on Wilderness or Shinfield Rds, however there are temp traffic lights on the LE way - they seem to be making their way towards Winnersh bit by bit.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Ollycat wrote: 21 Mar 2022 10:09 Nothing on Wilderness or Shinfield Rds, however there are temp traffic lights on the LE way - they seem to be making their way towards Winnersh bit by bit.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Ollycat wrote: 21 Mar 2022 10:09
piwacket wrote: 20 Mar 2022 17:23 Anyone got an update on what’s happening in Wilderness Road or the Shinfield Road - have to go that way on Tuesday.
Nothing on Wilderness or Shinfield Rds, however there are temp traffic lights on the LE way - they seem to be making their way towards Winnersh bit by bit.
The Wilderness Road lights are listed as being from today, so maybe somebody will see what's happening later today to report back
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

spectrum64 wrote: 21 Mar 2022 11:22 The Wilderness Road lights are listed as being from today, so maybe somebody will see what's happening later today to report back
Ah, OK. Thanks for the update.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

All clear today and nothing showing until next week
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 21 Mar 2022 13:12
All clear today and nothing showing until next week
Ah that’s good. Thanks.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Just seen this warning of FB

Dear Sir/Madam,
Please be aware that due to a gas leak in A4 Bath Road, Sonning near the junction with Sonning Lane, SGN will be undertaking urgent works to make the necessary repairs. To do this in safety, 2-way lights will be in operation. These urgent works are expected to be completed by 30th March 2022.
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

For the last two weeks there have been some large matrix signs (on trailers) on all the approaches to the Black-Boy roundabout but nothing to say what’s happening
I remembered to check one-network today and only thing I can see is next week the M4 will be shut overnight for works and the diversion is all along LE Way etc, so guessing ready for that
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Roadworks AGAIN along Shinfield Rd by the school today – one network says 4th to 8th and TW AGAIN
Seems a never ending saga along that stretch and the road is now awash with repaired sections of road

Wonder if WBC will eventually get it resurfaced?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Apr 2022 07:59 Roadworks AGAIN along Shinfield Rd by the school today – one network says 4th to 8th and TW AGAIN
Seems a never ending saga along that stretch and the road is now awash with repaired sections of road

Yes. Probably about a week before the gas people dig it up...
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

… just about fits the category of the Topic
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... d-new-law/

Hmm - there’s a few streets I know of - narrow streets of terraced houses, where parking on the pavement seems to be ‘the norm’ to allow vehicles to drive on the road ….? There again there’s many roads - our being one of them, where it happens unnecessarily - and churns up the grass verge!

… and who’s going to monitor all this?
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Traffic was unusually bad this evening. I had reason to pop to Caversham at about 19:15, and wrongly chose to go via Caversham Bridge. Caversham Road and the bridge was at a standstill. I got to three cars back from the roundabout by The Gorge cafe and didn't move for about four minutes. When I got to the roundabout I decided to cut my losses and go back round to Reading bridge, which was all free flowing.

By the time I came back about 20 minutes later Forbury Road east/south-bound was at a standstill from end to end. It took about 10 minutes to get as far as Kenavon Drive. From my window, I can see reflections of amber flashing lights on London Road at the bottom of Gas Works Road.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 07 Apr 2022 15:34 … just about fits the category of the Topic
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... d-new-law/

Hmm - there’s a few streets I know of - narrow streets of terraced houses, where parking on the pavement seems to be ‘the norm’ to allow vehicles to drive on the road ….? There again there’s many roads - our being one of them, where it happens unnecessarily - and churns up the grass verge!

… and who’s going to monitor all this?
I was involved in discussions about this in the past as these ‘proposals’ have come up before (and nothing to say this will go through again this time)
At the time the council where considering to make ‘kerb’ parking allowable in some roads, same as in London which means its covered by signage and lines marked just along the edge of the pavements that you park ‘up-to’ but not over thus not blocking the pathway
As for monitoring its simple - traffic wardens!

However parking on the pavement is the norm due more to lazy drivers rather than allowing room - yes there are some very narrow ones but they often only allow paring along one side and are controlled DYL’s etc – or no parking at all

I always smile when people say about how difficult it is to negotiate some of the terraced roads around where I live, but then point out the dustcarts and delivery trucks have no problems even when cars are parked correctly (not on the kerbs) so says more about their driving rather than the road being ‘narrow’

And for a couple of laughs - a few years back RBC thought this ‘ban’ was going to be approved so spent a lot of money on leaflets hat stated you will be fined for parking on the pavement after a certain date (can’t remember what it was) and as a group we had a couple of boxes sent to us why we distributed around our members to put on cars parked on paths, which many did!
BUT – the law didn’t go through so we c got told to stop and ‘lose’ the leaflets – I must haver thrown about 1000 I had in recycling at the time!

And the second joke.................in the article: -
“However, the information given so far is slightly confusing for drivers. At the moment, there’s no clear guidelines for those who park on the pavement due to having no room on their own drive. Most households have more than one car, so it will be interesting to see where motorists are expected to park if not on the pavement outside their homes.
“Clear guidance is required for drivers so they know the correct location to park in order to avoid a fine.”
Stupid remark as surely if you can’t park in your drive then you park in the road where there are no parking restrictions or elsewhere NOT on the pavement – it’s what most normal people do especially if they don’t have driveways – or does the reporter think everyone has them?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I think some people see parking very slightly on the path, as assisting the passage of any emergency/bin vehicles etc, especially Es parking on both sides of a road......
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Apr 2022 11:12 I think some people see parking very slightly on the path, as assisting the passage of any emergency/bin vehicles etc, …..
In most cases, I think you’re right, being ‘considerate’ as opposed to ‘laziness’ in not wanting to park elsewhere… particularly tradesmen who are maybe working for a while in the house with heavy tools to carry or perhaps a young mother with shopping or a carrycot on a visit - of course there’ll be some others who are being ‘lazy’, but ….
OLDMAN wrote: 08 Apr 2022 10:33 As for monitoring its simple - traffic wardens!
Gosh, lots of new jobs creation there then.

As for ease of traffic flow around your area… I have a friend who lives there who I sometimes offer a lift to go to the theatre - about half-way up the road…. Solid parking from top to bottom of the road - so I have to stop in the middle of road, hoot the horn, and if she doesn’t immediately come out sometimes have to go round the block and back up again, because vehicles have come up behind me and they can’t get past! When I return her later, she has to be ready to leap out before the same thing happens. She has related that sometimes returning late she can’t get parked, so drives around until she can, then has a very nervous walk back to her house. Similar scenario in the roads off Erleigh Road that I’ve experienced… and I imagine much the same in other terraced streets off Oxford Rd, Newtown etc.
when those terraced roads were built people didn’t have cars, (let alone 2 or 3) - so it’s a big problem. Almost inevitably many are bought because of price by younger couples who’s children grow up and want their own car - :shrug1:
I don’t know what the answer is - other than the Japanese ruling, that you can’t buy a car unless you prove you have somewhere to park it - which would go down like a lead balloon here!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

There was talk of a road closure for Whireknights Road in March which was postponed. A board has appeared by Earley Gate announcing a closure for a few days from 19th April from 9.30 to 3.30 daily I think. Not 100% sure of the details as I only noticed it at the last minute as the bus passed by. If anyone is up that way perhaps they could keep an eye open to confirm the date and times.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Apr 2022 07:59 Roadworks AGAIN along Shinfield Rd by the school today – one network says 4th to 8th and TW AGAIN

Arggh – unexpectedly the works where still there but............the lights weren’t working so made driving through wary as looking for oncoming cars as you go over that side of road

Oddly no mention of it on Onenetwork-

And whilst on there –
spectrum64 wrote: 09 Apr 2022 16:55 There was talk of a road closure for Whireknights Road in March which was postponed. A board has appeared by Earley Gate announcing a closure for a few days from 19th April from 9.30 to 3.30 daily I think. Not 100% sure of the details as I only noticed it at the last minute as the bus passed by. If anyone is up that way perhaps they could keep an eye open to confirm the date and times.
It’s says Road Closed 19th-22nd April, but also says there will be Multi-way lights at the Uni gates for the same dates!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 08 Apr 2022 12:21
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Apr 2022 11:12 I think some people see parking very slightly on the path, as assisting the passage of any emergency/bin vehicles etc, …..
In most cases, I think you’re right, being ‘considerate’ as opposed to ‘laziness’ in not wanting to park elsewhere… particularly tradesmen who are maybe working for a while in the house with heavy tools to carry or perhaps a young mother with shopping or a carrycot on a visit - of course there’ll be some others who are being ‘lazy’, but ….
OLDMAN wrote: 08 Apr 2022 10:33 As for monitoring its simple - traffic wardens!
Gosh, lots of new jobs creation there then.

As for ease of traffic flow around your area… I have a friend who lives there who I sometimes offer a lift to go to the theatre - about half-way up the road…. Solid parking from top to bottom of the road - so I have to stop in the middle of road, hoot the horn, and if she doesn’t immediately come out sometimes have to go round the block and back up again, because vehicles have come up behind me and they can’t get past! When I return her later, she has to be ready to leap out before the same thing happens. She has related that sometimes returning late she can’t get parked, so drives around until she can, then has a very nervous walk back to her house. Similar scenario in the roads off Erleigh Road that I’ve experienced… and I imagine much the same in other terraced streets off Oxford Rd, Newtown etc.
when those terraced roads were built people didn’t have cars, (let alone 2 or 3) - so it’s a big problem. Almost inevitably many are bought because of price by younger couples who’s children grow up and want their own car - :shrug1:
I don’t know what the answer is - other than the Japanese ruling, that you can’t buy a car unless you prove you have somewhere to park it - which would go down like a lead balloon here!
When you read up any articles on this subject one thing mentioned a lot is most if it is basically lazy drivers as its easier to park on the path t rather than correct parallel parking to the kerb - we have a few near me and its obvious how bad they are at times!

Traffic Wardens – there are already a lot in the RBC area and we get them up here 4-5 times per week so not making more jobs - and they do a good job as don’t see may tickets issued these days as most people know not to park in the permit areas (or exceed the 2hr limit) it would be the same with any pavement parking once drivers learn not to
I fact the place that had a huge increase in wardens has been WBC as parking enforcement transferred from TVP to the council a couple of years back

Yes agree some roads around here get a lot of parking (one in particular as its also has a 2hr limit on it) but not as bad since permits have been introduced – St Peters Rd always has a lot of space along it as do many others
And I don’t understand the ‘’ nervous walk back to her house’’ as its not a rough area and no crime as such, unless she is about at 3-4am but even then not bad – if about 12-1am theres always other people abut so quite safe?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Whiteknights Road looks as if it is a closure. as buses are diverting. It has appeared on Reading Buses' site towards the bottom of this page.
https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/service-updates

Just above it mentions a similar closure for Woodlands Avenue on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Closed both ways outside Bulmershe Sports Centre 09.30-15.30 each day.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 11 Apr 2022 09:52 …..if about 12-1am theres always other people abut so quite safe?
Yes, that would be about the time… and yes there’s not a lot of crime, but nevertheless understandable I think, as she’s attractive and only about 5ft tall… rather different matter for a fella with your build :)
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

spectrum64 wrote: 11 Apr 2022 11:11 Just above it mentions a similar closure for Woodlands Avenue on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Closed both ways outside Bulmershe Sports Centre 09.30-15.30 each day.

Thanks for the heads-up on that :)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 11 Apr 2022 11:11 Whiteknights Road looks as if it is a closure. as buses are diverting. It has appeared on Reading Buses' site towards the bottom of this page.
https://www.reading-buses.co.uk/service-updates

Just above it mentions a similar closure for Woodlands Avenue on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Closed both ways outside Bulmershe Sports Centre 09.30-15.30 each day.
That tallies with One network

Odd today – Shinfield Rd works has finished but all the barriers / cones etc look to have been ‘thrown’ (not stacked neatly etc) along the side of the road / all over the pavement, plus although the lights were also over on the path (one laying down) they were still on and working unlike yesterday when I drove through!
There was a contractors truck in the school entrance that loke like they were going to collect it all – I wonder if the work finished last week as planned but the light / barrier contractors didn’t come and collect until now and sone else cleared it out the way?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Is the A329M closed today? Googlemaps shows it as closed from Loddon Bridge to Suttons Seeds until 16th. I can't believe that is correct ...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 12 Apr 2022 10:45 Is the A329M closed today? Googlemaps shows it as closed from Loddon Bridge to Suttons Seeds until 16th. I can't believe that is correct ...
Yes! according to Onenetwork its shut from 11th to 13th for roadworks and bridge inspection

Explains some odd diversion signs I’ve seen about!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

How odd – got home last night and went upstairs and heard traffic as I walked through the house, went for a look out back window and the A3290 was open – looked again this morning and traffic running along it okay?
However just looked on One-network and it still shows it as closed for those dates - and doesn’t show any ‘times’ so doesn’t seem to be sporadic dependant on time of day or night!
Other odd bit on there is it also doesn’t give the diversionary route, (they often do) but as its WBC responsible and does say for further info go to their web-site maybe that’s where it all is!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

The main traffic lights are back in action in Caversham. Work has moved along the road and there are just temporary lights by the library now. Tomorrow, 15th, was advertised for the end of works so we'll see.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

spectrum64 wrote: 14 Apr 2022 14:04 Work has moved along the road and there are just temporary lights by the library now. Tomorrow, 15th, was advertised for the end of works so we'll see.
Drove through Caversham this morning, and there was no sign of any works, so I guess they have finished.
Last edited by chris_j_wood on 19 Apr 2022 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Apr 2022 11:05
spectrum64 wrote: 14 Apr 2022 14:04 Work has moved along the road and there are just temporary lights by the library now. Tomorrow, 15th, was advertised for the end of works so we'll see.
Drove through Caversham this morning, and there was no sign of any works, so I guess they have finished.

However as of 9.30 this morning, the short section of Whiteknights Road between the University's Earley Gate and the Wilderness Road mini-roundabout is closed in both directions. You can still get to the University along Whiteknights Road from Holmes Road, Upper Redlands Road or Eastern Avenue. Lots of people obviously caught unawares and having to u-turn. I think this closure is scheduled to last until midnight on Friday.
Yes, the works in Caversham have finished apart from a few minor bits of work on the pavement near the library. The temporary lights had disappeared by Friday.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

As of 9.30 this morning, the short section of Whiteknights Road between the University's Earley Gate and the Wilderness Road mini-roundabout is closed in both directions. Whiteknights Road is still open from the other end (Upper Redlands Road/Eastern Avenue) as far as the Earley Gate, and you can access it from Wokingham Road via Holmes Road or other connecting streets. Lots of people obviously caught unawares and having to u-turn. I think this closure is scheduled to last until midnight on Friday.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I spoke too soon about Caversham. There are temporary lights back at the foot of St Anne's Road although the main set of lights is running as normal.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Apr 2022 11:17 As of 9.30 this morning, the short section of Whiteknights Road between the University's Earley Gate and the Wilderness Road mini-roundabout is closed in both directions. Whiteknights Road is still open from the other end (Upper Redlands Road/Eastern Avenue) as far as the Earley Gate, and you can access it from Wokingham Road via Holmes Road or other connecting streets. Lots of people obviously caught unawares and having to u-turn. I think this closure is scheduled to last until midnight on Friday.
Didn’t notice night before but last night it was all open?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”