ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
graham
Super Contributor

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by graham »

When will someone sort out the Shinfield Road lights. entering Reading from the B**** B** Roundabout the first set has only been letting2 or 3 cars through before changing back to red for TWO WEEKS.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 21 Feb 2022 14:01
Fed-up wrote: 21 Feb 2022 13:04 One would hope so. The link no longer works but no official update from the council to say the tree has been sorted and all open again.
Odd, look at ‘today’ and nothing but click ‘next 2 weeks’ and it appears, but does say 00:00-12:51 GMT
Not sure where / what the ‘dangerous tree’ was on A33 as nothing last night – there were the remains of one just I off the roundabout when joining the DC but that was there Friday afternoon
Only other one I could see was about where the one-network marker showed but it was a small tree that had been cut / moved back - certainly not ‘dangerous’ looking, especially as no knife or drugs I could see!

I think it was overkill by WBC considering all the big ones down along the A33 between Basingstoke and the DC (where WBC starts) on Friday, all cleared with no fuss by HCC / whoever - and no road closure!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

graham wrote: 22 Feb 2022 00:39 When will someone sort out the Shinfield Road lights. entering Reading from the B**** B** Roundabout the first set has only been letting2 or 3 cars through before changing back to red for TWO WEEKS.
Must admit they are very odd lights, I go through them twice a day and have noticed they work on sensors most of the time, but then change to ‘timed’ at certain other times

In the mornings you can see on sensors as I am early enough there are hardly any other cars about - I go right from Shinfield Rd and if you approach at steady speed they change to green, but only if nothing going the other way which triggers them, it’s the same for the next two sets as you go round - this morning was a good example as I went all the way without stopping as nothing else about – another day I can get caught at all three sets if cars coming the other way

Going home it varies, I then go straight over and along Lower Early way - sometimes I can sail through, others you stop at each set including the Shire Hall ones - but never get stuck for too long– and when I do stop at the Shinfield Rd set I watch a lot of cars going across / down LEW
BUT - I have caught them when I come home a little later, then they seem to be timed (badly) and traffic builds up

Complain to WBC as they responsible for them – but don’t hold out for much as they are useless at sorting this sort of thing out - Three Tuns lights have been complained / debated about for over 10yrs now and no one has got anywhere with them about it!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

OLDMAN wrote: 22 Feb 2022 08:41
Complain to WBC as they responsible for them – but don’t hold out for much as they are useless at sorting this sort of thing out - Three Tuns lights have been complained / debated about for over 10yrs now and no one has got anywhere with them about it!
I always assumed the RBC/ Wokingham boundary went along Church Road and then along the truncated piece of road the Reading side of Wilderness Road. Wouldn't that make some of the lights in Reading's area and thus the responsibility shared?
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

graham wrote: 22 Feb 2022 00:39 When will someone sort out the Shinfield Road lights. entering Reading from the B**** B** Roundabout the first set has only been letting2 or 3 cars through before changing back to red for TWO WEEKS.
Complain to WBC as they responsible for them – but don’t hold out for much as they are useless at sorting this sort of thing out
I read Graham's post as being about the lights at the junction of Shinfield Road and Whitley Wood Road. Judging by the really useful Ordnance Survey Election Maps web site, those lights are in Reading.

Here is a link
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 22 Feb 2022 09:09
I always assumed the RBC/ Wokingham boundary went along Church Road and then along the truncated piece of road the Reading side of Wilderness Road. Wouldn't that make some of the lights in Reading's area and thus the responsibility shared?
Yes, and No - your correct with the boundary but WBC are responsible for the light as all the control system is their side
I once made complaints to WBC and they said it was RBC, but discussing it with RBC it was all explained clearly and turned out it comes under WBC
Gave them an earful when I went back about it!

And everyone I know who complains gets the same answer (I’ve complained 6 times now) - ‘We’ve been and looked and can’t see any problems with the junction’ my answer to that was what time of the day because if you go around midday the yes it’s not bad, try peak times etc and it has long queues back down Church Rd -even on a Sunday!

It once had its own FB thread as so bad!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 22 Feb 2022 12:39
Complain to WBC as they responsible for them – but don’t hold out for much as they are useless at sorting this sort of thing out
I read Graham's post as being about the lights at the junction of Shinfield Road and Whitley Wood Road. Judging by the really useful Ordnance Survey Election Maps web site, those lights are in Reading.

Here is a link
Oops my bad - misread it, (The mention of BB roundabout fooled me...............) that’s the trouble with being a mod in having to read all comments etc, it blurs at times!

Yes I totally agree the lights at the Whitley Wood Road junction are terrible during the later afternoon / evenings
Not helped by the mass of traffic coming out the school!

I don’t go that way in the evening as so bad

And yes its under RBC
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Thanks for the boundary explanation OM. The Three Tuns lights are terrible for traffic and for pedestrians. Quite an achievement to make it bad for everyone!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 22 Feb 2022 13:58 Thanks for the boundary explanation OM. The Three Tuns lights are terrible for traffic and for pedestrians. Quite an achievement to make it bad for everyone!
I was checking back on old info last night and as only one limb of the junction comes under RBC and the other three come under WBC its why they fitted / control the lights hence the responsible council
Stupid bit is they always used to be bad before they got upgraded a few years ago?

TBH over the years I (as do others who live in the arear) know that if you leave home to go that way at certain times its quicker to drive down to, then back up Wokingham Rd the extra ½ mile more to the junction rather than the short route to it
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Mentioning about the way to miss Three Tuns made me realise there is a way to miss the Shinfield Rd lights by a bit, I used it a lot when there was roadworks on my normal route home – turn down Halls Ln (2nd on the right after school gates) left onto Westlands Ave then along / left at Shinfield Rise – brings you back out past the lights (by the wheelchair place)
Other alternative is further along LEW and up past Asda, then along and up Pepper Ln!
Don’t go back up via Elm Rd as that backs up at peak times
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Thames Valley Police have just posted this:
M4 is closed in both directions between Junctions 11 and 12 following a serious road traffic collision.
The road will remain closed for several hours and drivers are urged to find alternative routes.
I hope everyone involved is OK but obviously avoid the area if you can.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Oh, sorry forgot to say – Three-way lights at Pepper Ln / Wilderness Rd............again - caught them Friday evening
There until 10th according to one-network – its Scottish Power this time - wonder if TW damaged anything the other week?
It was causing heavy traffic over the weekend when I went to Asda, queue was back to Beech Ln as I went up that way, same coming back!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 07 Mar 2022 09:41 Thames Valley Police have just posted this:
M4 is closed in both directions between Junctions 11 and 12 following a serious road traffic collision.
The road will remain closed for several hours and drivers are urged to find alternative routes.
I hope everyone involved is OK but obviously avoid the area if you can.
Sadly someone passed in this - RIP
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 07 Mar 2022 10:00 Oh, sorry forgot to say – Three-way lights at Pepper Ln / Wilderness Rd............again - caught them Friday evening
There until 10th according to one-network – its Scottish Power this time - wonder if TW damaged anything the other week?
It was causing heavy traffic over the weekend when I went to Asda, queue was back to Beech Ln as I went up that way, same coming back!
All gone..........for now!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Advanced warning signs are by the traffic lights at the north side of Caversham Bridge regarding temporary lights from 23rd March to 23rd April (!), which would likely cause a lot of queues.

Reading Buses site has some details and it looks as if works will take place in stages along Church Street so maybe the lights will not be out of action for the entire time:
The Bus stops at Bridge Street (Both directions) Church Street (Adjacent to Esso Garage) Caversham Library inbound and Church Street will be subject to rolling closures from 15 March until April 2022
During these dates it may not be possible to serve each of these stops due to works by INSTALCOM.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

If this is to install a cable duct for IT then it's the same people who have messed up the pavements and dug trenches across various roads in Caversham. I'm not sure who needs this new service. Certainly none of my chums have any interest in it.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I think they are the same. They are installing them all over Reading. Been going out of town down bath road and then Southcote lane . Recently had notice that they will be despoiling the pavement further out near us. Its some firm called City Fibre who will be offering "gigabite broadband" (if you want to pay our big not doubt)
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

According to their website
https://instalcom.co.uk/
They are '... main contractors for Power, Water, Gas, Telecoms and Railways ...'
so could be anything.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

spectrum64 wrote: 12 Mar 2022 09:18 According to their website
https://instalcom.co.uk/
They are '... main contractors for Power, Water, Gas, Telecoms and Railways ...'
so could be anything.
It's all part of Cityfibre putting their 1 Gig fibre network in. You see their purple pipes laying around. Been all up West Reading for the last year or more.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Heavy traffic and delays in Caversham today. They have installed temporary lights including a set on the filter to the Woodcote road from Caversham bridge which normally does not have them because they are not really needed. Very few cars turn right coming from Caversham and the filter always seems to work well. This has caused additional delays.

Also, although the lights and a few barriers were installed absolutely no sign of any workers actually doing anything.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

C.A.Versham wrote: 12 Mar 2022 16:02 Heavy traffic and delays in Caversham today. They have installed temporary lights including a set on the filter to the Woodcote road from Caversham bridge which normally does not have them because they are not really needed. Very few cars turn right coming from Caversham and the filter always seems to work well. This has caused additional delays.

Also, although the lights and a few barriers were installed absolutely no sign of any workers actually doing anything.
I glimpsed a sign on Caversham Bridge about roadworks from 15th March for a month. No idea what for. That’s gong to be fun.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Daughter got caught in this today, 90 minutes to Bournemouth plus 20+ to get down Richfield ( she dropped of a friend in Tilehurst ) ….she wasn’t happy ☹️
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Apparently after two days of heavy delays throughout Caversham, including a failure of the temporary lights, they have now been temporarily removed. The question has to be asked why on earth they were put up in the first place.

There was a knock on delay through Sonning as well.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Forewarning - roadworks/closures at the junction of Whiteknights Rd and Wilderness Rd - there's a yellow sign up with postcodes affected - from 21st to 24th March. 3 way lights going at Earley Gate too. Culprit is T-Mobile.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Think the Caversham lights are back….
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Ollycat wrote: 15 Mar 2022 11:54 Forewarning - roadworks/closures at the junction of Whiteknights Rd and Wilderness Rd - there's a yellow sign up with postcodes affected - from 21st to 24th March. 3 way lights going at Earley Gate too. Culprit is T-Mobile.
According to Reading Buses, Whiteknights Road is going to be closed entirely on those days - or maybe it will not be passable by buses
CLOSURE OF WHITEKNIGHTS ROAD 21 & 24 March 2022 0930-1600 each day

Whiteknights Road will be closed between 0930 and 1600 from Monday 21 March until Thursday 24 March 2022
This is due to works by T-Mobile

Little orange 19a, 19b and 19c are diverted as follows ...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There seems to be confusing / conflicting info – for 21-24 March one-network shows: ‘multi-way lights’ at Early Gate but then also shows end of Whiteknights as ‘road closure’?
rw1.jpg
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The traffic lights are showing as granted but the road closure is only an application and does not seem to have been granted, at this stage.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ah yes good spot
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Fed-up wrote: 16 Mar 2022 08:02 The traffic lights are showing as granted but the road closure is only an application and does not seem to have been granted, at this stage.
OLDMAN wrote: 16 Mar 2022 12:41 Ah yes good spot
Looks like the application has now been withdrawn or refused, as the full closure has disappeared from the map. Traffic lights remain.

But have you spotted the application for the closure of Wokingham Road to the east of the Three Tuns crossroad overnight on the 29th/30th. It looks like all locals should plan to be in bed by 10pm that night.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 13 Mar 2022 20:49 Apparently after two days of heavy delays throughout Caversham, including a failure of the temporary lights, they have now been temporarily removed. The question has to be asked why on earth they were put up in the first place.

There was a knock on delay through Sonning as well.
Judging by the way all routes towards Caversham from Reading were backed-up this morning, I suspect that these lights must be back. The tail back for Cavershan Bridge stretched as far as Mattalan at one point.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Mar 2022 13:31Judging by the way all routes towards Caversham from Reading were backed-up this morning, I suspect that these lights must be back. The tail back for Cavershan Bridge stretched as far as Mattalan at one point.
I had to go to Caversham yesterday tea-time and the left lane on the bridge was coned off from just after the roundabout to just before the lights on the northern side.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Mar 2022 13:21 .......................

But have you spotted the application for the closure of Wokingham Road to the east of the Three Tuns crossroad overnight on the 29th/30th. It looks like all locals should plan to be in bed by 10pm that night.
Yes saw that one - the whole junction will be light controlled as well

Must admit I sort of discounted it as A. it’s an overnight / one night, B. we are away that week (I know selfish of me)
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Mar 2022 13:21
Looks like the application has now been withdrawn or refused, as the full closure has disappeared from the map. Traffic lights remain.
I just looked back at Reading Buses' site and they have removed any mention of a Whiteknights Road closure, so that tallies.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Souwester wrote: 16 Mar 2022 14:58
chris_j_wood wrote: 16 Mar 2022 13:31Judging by the way all routes towards Caversham from Reading were backed-up this morning, I suspect that these lights must be back. The tail back for Cavershan Bridge stretched as far as Mattalan at one point.
I had to go to Caversham yesterday tea-time and the left lane on the bridge was coned off from just after the roundabout to just before the lights on the northern side.
The temporary lights appeared yesterday and are still going strong today creating some long queues. It's an area to avoid if you can.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”