ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 09 Feb 2022 07:49 Not sure why but Caversham seems to be in gridlock this morning. Non moving queues both sides of the bridge. 7.30am
At 06:50 this morning there were three-way traffic lights at the junction of Church Street, Church Road and Caversham Bridge, with the part of Church Street between Church Road and Priory Avenue down to an alternating single lane. It was causing heavy congestion even then, at a time when traffic is normally free flowing, so if it is still in place it must be causing havoc by now.

Just checked on One.Network, and it is due to work by Thames Water, and is scheduled to be in place until midnight on Thursday. They describe the work as being in Church Road rather than Church Street, so the single-tracking may extend further than I noticed.

Best to avoid Caversham for the next couple of days if possible, I'd suggest.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

At about 9.30 last night there was something of a queue, partly caused by an articulated lorry which having descended St Peter's Hill was unable to turn right onto Caversham bridge because the road was partly coned off. It had to manoeuvre about as it could only go left past the Tesco garage and Waitrose.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Do we as Council Tax payers fund the TR travel reading web site? At least on my computer none of the traffic cameras seem to be working and the link to the BBC traffic website does not work.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

C.A.Versham wrote: 09 Feb 2022 10:13 Do we as Council Tax payers fund the TR travel reading web site? At least on my computer none of the traffic cameras seem to be working and the link to the BBC traffic website does not work.
All the legal text points to RBC as owner, so I guess so. But it doesn't seem to have been updated recently, and I cannot find any link to it from the main council web site, so I think it may no longer be intended for use.

If you follow the 'Vehicles, roads and transport'->'Roads, streets and traffic'->'Current roadworks' links on the main web site, it now takes you to this web page, which embeds a version of the One.Network map. But I find it easier to use the full sized version at this link.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Thanks. So I assume that all the cameras installed can no longer be accessed unless someone knows of another site.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

There was definitely a yellow board at the Shinfield Rd/Pepper Lane crossroads this evening, though I dont see it on the one.network map. Couldn't really see past the muppet trying to go straight across in the left hand lane...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

chris_j_wood wrote: 09 Feb 2022 09:19 ... junction of Church Street, Church Road and Caversham Bridge, ... scheduled to be in place until midnight on Thursday.
Had disappeared by first thing this morning, so I guess they finished ahead of schedule.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

This is brilliant joined up thinking.

Road is being resurfaced, contractors start the work, then have to wait because and the council have sent the green bin 'men' around.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

chris_j_wood wrote: 10 Feb 2022 08:59 ... finished ahead of schedule ...
ChipbuttyG wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:35 ... This is brilliant joined up thinking ...
Be careful, CBG, or somebody might get the wrong impression and think you have written something positive about Reading for a change.
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Ollycat wrote: 09 Feb 2022 17:58 There was definitely a yellow board at the Shinfield Rd/Pepper Lane crossroads this evening, though I dont see it on the one.network map. Couldn't really see past the muppet trying to go straight across in the left hand lane...
Thames Water 23rd to 26th February..
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

chris_j_wood wrote: 10 Feb 2022 08:59 ... finished ahead of schedule ...
ChipbuttyG wrote: 10 Feb 2022 12:35 ... This is brilliant joined up thinking ...
Be careful, CBG, or somebody might get the wrong impression and think you have written something positive about Reading for a change.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

So we were told our road is being resurfaced by RBC.

Turns out, what they mean is, a very small section of our road is being resurfaced.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

There's been an incident on the IDR. Police and emergency services in attendance.

Traffic has come to a standstill.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

The IDR northbound was very slow earlier today around 1pm. Vastern Road roundabout is down to one lane causing a queue even before Chipbutty's accident.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

A lady fell onto the IDR. It's not clear how it happened at the moment. She's been rushed to John Radcliffe hospital with life threatening injuries. Hope she's OK.

Must be dreadful to also witness something like that.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 16 Feb 2022 14:19 There's been an incident on the IDR. Police and emergency services in attendance.

Traffic has come to a standstill.
Apologies for posting this. It has been mentioned in the papers.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 11 Feb 2022 09:22 So we were told our road is being resurfaced by RBC.

Turns out, what they mean is, a very small section of our road is being resurfaced.
Our road is being resurfaced next week - no advice on where the residents might find available parking. Too much to ask of RBC as they can't see outside their little box.
:shrug1:
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

D5equj5 wrote: 17 Feb 2022 16:14 Our road is being resurfaced next week - no advice on where the residents might find available parking. Too much to ask of RBC as they can't see outside their little box.
I would have thought that people living in the street are best placed to know about alternative nearby parking spots. Won't your knowledge be better than someone at RBC unless they by chance live in the same area?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 17 Feb 2022 16:14 Our road is being resurfaced next week - no advice on where the residents might find available parking. Too much to ask of RBC as they can't see outside their little box.
Think yourself lucky you haven’t got what’s going on here - 3 immediate neighbours , one next door, one opposite and one behind have all got ‘the builders in’ - 4 or 5 vans each day for weeks, plus low-losers delivering stuff - do none of your neighbours ‘have the builders’ in :whistle1:

So - maybe you could park yours at the factory for a couple of days and get the bus in - if youngling still has a car, just maybe he could do the same - so leaving Mrs D to find somewhere nearby ….?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

D5equj5 wrote: 17 Feb 2022 16:14
ChipbuttyG wrote: 11 Feb 2022 09:22 So we were told our road is being resurfaced by RBC.

Our road is being resurfaced next week - no advice on where the residents might find available parking. Too much to ask of RBC as they can't see outside their little box.
Sorry D5 have to disagree with you on this one. IMHO sending a van with three men to fill in potholes is a waste of money, because come the next winter those potholes will need to be filled in again. The answer has to be resurface the road. But I would suggest that the tried and tested method of tar macadam surface which does not work be replaced by an alternative I.e. a concreted surface or something akin to this. As to you being unable to park your cars outside your house whilst this work is going on. If you cannot make arrangements no doubt RBC I am sure that when they come to your house a low loader can remove your car, and when the work outside your house is completed put your car back. Come on be positive about this.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Roads around our way are being done at present - as a 'concession' they have suspended all parking (permit etc) restrictions whilst its on so would have thought they would do the same where you are

And we only found out as they put signs up - nothing about it in the re-surfacing letter they sent!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

BOY RACER wrote: 17 Feb 2022 20:43

Sorry D5 have to disagree with you on this one. IMHO sending a van with three men to fill in potholes is a waste of money, because come the next winter those potholes will need to be filled in again. The answer has to be resurface the road. But I would suggest that the tried and tested method of tar macadam surface which does not work be replaced by an alternative I.e. a concreted surface or something akin to this. As to you being unable to park your cars outside your house whilst this work is going on. If you cannot make arrangements no doubt RBC I am sure that when they come to your house a low loader can remove your car, and when the work outside your house is completed put your car back. Come on be positive about this.
That’s exactly what they said they would do around my area where all the roads are being re-surfaced, except hey added that any cars not moved would be lifted and taken away – and the owners fined

Guess they don’t want the comeback WBC got when they lifted cars, painted DYL’s, put the cars back – then fined them for illegal parking!..............that was just around the corner from us
All the owners got let off as no pre-warnings etc given out, and one guy is suing WBC as his car got damaged during it

I’m also waiting for later as they’ve said the one-way roads will be suspended to two-way when they do the roads further down to allow residents to access other roads they live in - that should be fun to watch!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

D6 - contact your local councillor . Locally this happened it was the councillor who arranged an alternative.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

OLDMAN wrote: 18 Feb 2022 08:23 That’s exactly what they said they would do around my area where all the roads are being re-surfaced, except hey added that any cars not moved would be lifted and taken away – and the owners fined

Guess they don’t want the comeback WBC got when they lifted cars, painted DYL’s, put the cars back – then fined them for illegal parking!..............that was just around the corner from us
All the owners got let off as no pre-warnings etc given out, and one guy is suing WBC as his car got damaged during it

I’m also waiting for later as they’ve said the one-way roads will be suspended to two-way when they do the roads further down to allow residents to access other roads they live in - that should be fun to watch!
I wouldn't be so sure of that - https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... t-project/
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

? - didn’t I just say that’s exactly what was warned would happen if cars ’didn’t’ get moved – and yes warnings where sent out to all house via letters, and signs had been put up 3kws before it happened – so no excuses
The section of road by us was all cleared of cars except one – but she went out when a neighbour knocked on the door - she had only moved in at the weekend so didn’t know about it all – they let her off and told her to move it ASAP
But I heard there where some further down who got towed around the corner and ticketed - and two taken away as no permits (full or visitor) in them

The point of what happened with WBC is they DID NOT warn anyone!
It made national news and been posted about in other places
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Meh :shrug1:
It would have been handy if they'd figured-out where the best places are to stack 50 / 60 cars for a day or two or at least suspend all parking regulations for the duration of the works.
I didn't say anything about filling of potholes :saywhat:
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

In St Anne's Road Caversham, despite houses having been leafletted and signs on the lamp posts, a dozen or so cars were left parked. They were lifted one by one onto a wagon and driven away. The leaflet said this would happen and that they would receive a penalty notice. I've no idea where they were taken so possibly they went to a pound with an extra charge for that.
Regarding alternative parking, everyone who had read the leaflet or looked at the street parking restriction signs had plenty of time to think about where to park on that day. As I said previously, residents are better placed than RBC to decide this as they have detailed local knowledge.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

As I said before around our area they suspended all parking (permit etc) restrictions for a few days whilst it all goes on - I presumed they would have done the same in other places?

My road has about 220 houses, many have 2 cars so about 300 or so at a guess that needed alternative parking - some where out at work during the day and they only took one day to do the full length

And it all worked okay

Its now just one more long road which will be one day, then they reckon about two days to do all the side roads which is when the one-way restrictions will be lifted for
I reckon main people effected by that will be all the Rat-Runners.......................
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Wokingham Borough Council have just announced that the A33 is currently closed between Three Mile Cross and Wellington Country Park roundabout because of a dangerous tree. No reopening time at present - https://one.network/?tmi=GB22196540
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

As a major route I am guessing they will have to sort ASAP
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

One would hope so. The link no longer works but no official update from the council to say the tree has been sorted and all open again.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Fed-up wrote: 21 Feb 2022 11:48 Wokingham Borough Council have just announced that the A33 is currently closed between Three Mile Cross and Wellington Country Park roundabout because of a dangerous tree.
Of course, if it was a Reading tree it would be dangerous because it had a knife and was on drugs... :wink:
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Pooneil wrote: 21 Feb 2022 13:42
Fed-up wrote: 21 Feb 2022 11:48 Wokingham Borough Council have just announced that the A33 is currently closed between Three Mile Cross and Wellington Country Park roundabout because of a dangerous tree.
Of course, if it was a Reading tree it would be dangerous because it had a knife and was on drugs... :wink:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JurvPFBgEHs
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 21 Feb 2022 13:04 One would hope so. The link no longer works but no official update from the council to say the tree has been sorted and all open again.
Odd, look at ‘today’ and nothing but click ‘next 2 weeks’ and it appears, but does say 00:00-12:51 GMT
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

And another one. This time at 8pm this evening to remove a dangerous tree on the A3290 between Winnersh Triangle and the A4 - https://one.network/?tmi=GB22198366

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”