ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by spectrum64 »

chris_j_wood wrote: 19 Jan 2022 13:10
No idea what Google Maps was showing, unless it was a different and later incident.
I think their algorithms just guess times on occasions like this.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Big water leak Widerness Rd end of Pepper Ln, they where setting up lights when I went past about an hour ago
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 23 Jan 2022 14:21 Big water leak Widerness Rd end of Pepper Ln, they where setting up lights when I went past about an hour ago
One-network say its on from 23rd to 26th, trouble is the Open Reach one is on 24th to 36th just along the road!
Will be using alternative route most of this week
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

OLDMAN wrote: 20 Jan 2022 08:31
Souwester wrote: 19 Jan 2022 14:43
ChipbuttyG wrote: 19 Jan 2022 13:35Cav Road is also dangerous with those parking bays. Something needs to be done before there's a tragic accident.
One tea time/early evening in spring last year Caversham Road was closed between Vastern and the Bridge because of what looked to be a nasty accident involving a motorcycle. Several lots of blue lights in attendance.
Got told about this by a police friend of mine who attended
It was a car pulled out into the rider as he passed a side road, so no chance to avoid it!
Hi! OLD MAN. Dare I ask your opinion on making Woodland Avenue one-way to give more cycle only lanes. I am a ratepayer payer and contrary to wokingham. Council lies I have not been consulted on this matter. Who are these morons who make these ridiculous orders. Does wokingham council run a lottery, the winner gets a summer holiday in Alaska. I really do give up. Have you seen the plans?
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OM - this is the link re the plans referred to above
https://engage.wokingham.gov.uk/en-GB/p ... avel-route

It’s said this is the second consultation, we haven’t seen the first!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 24 Jan 2022 21:17 OM - this is the link re the plans referred to above
https://engage.wokingham.gov.uk/en-GB/p ... avel-route

It’s said this is the second consultation, we haven’t seen the first!
It was last March =- https://wokinghamactivetravelschemes.commonplace.is/
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 24 Jan 2022 22:35
It was last March =- https://wokinghamactivetravelschemes.commonplace.is/
[/quote]

Well,thanks Poo. So I wonder how one would know about it? We get many notifications from WDC, including a magazine which outlines future plans etc. but certainly didn’t get this… are we supposed to look for them -Just in case :? No I realise you probably can’t answer that.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 24 Jan 2022 23:05
Pooneil wrote: 24 Jan 2022 22:35 It was last March =- https://wokinghamactivetravelschemes.commonplace.is/
Well,thanks Poo. So I wonder how one would know about it? We get many notifications from WDC, including a magazine which outlines future plans etc. but certainly didn’t get this… are we supposed to look for them -Just in case :? No I realise you probably can’t answer that.
How local is it to you? I suspect they're only required to make efforts to contact people directly affected (I.e. those who live there). You can sign up on their website to be kept informed of consultations.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

I saw the first consultation advertised in a number of places. Certainly on Facebook, but I also in the weekly email, IIRC.

It looked at 3 different options for improving active travel in this part of Wokingham Borough. It sounds like WBC officers have decided to move forward with this particular scheme, but the implementation is woefully inadequate. It is so bad that the Woodley Conservative Councillors have all come out in opposition.

I like the idea of improving cycling in Woodley for those heading to Reading, but this scheme is not it. Making Woodlands Avenue one way is going to turn local roads into rat runs. Beechwood Avenue will become impossible because the cars all park on the side which will now have extra traffic. The 20mph limit along the length of Woodlands Avenue will be ignored. The cycle path on Church Road should stick to one side if you want cyclists to use it instead of constantly crossing the road. It would be better to dump the one way bit and extend the cycle path from the Woodlands Ave/Church Road roundabout towards Culver Lane.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

How strange – I got an e-mail last from a local Earley St Peters group all about this – otherwise first I’d ever heard of it!
I am near it but come under RBC hence may not have got told about it, but Pi comes under WBC and is close by and I think BR is as well

Had a look though the plans for it and its mostly putting cycle lanes in Church Rd / Pitts Ln (which already have them) and directing cyclists down Anderson Ave / Palmerstone Rd to join Culver, then under the railway bridge and into Palmer Park – but that last little bit is dependent on RBC’s input, and means changing the layout and the end of Wykeham Rd (which does affect me) and removing some parking bays there – not sure that would happen given WBC’s attitude to RBC over planning etc in the past...............!

The main bit is making Woodlands one-way between Howth Drive and the shopping centre which mean all traffic going in would have to go via Howth Drive / Beecham Rd - that would also mean anyone going through to Crockhamwell Rd would have to do the same – interesting as a lot of traffic goes that way

Makes me wonder if they’ve done a survey of vehicle movements along the - and exactly how many cyclists use the route from Woodley to Reading – I regularly drive in the area and don’t see that many to make it worth while

Sounds like another stupid hair-brained WBC scheme to appease cyclists!

And people think Reading are the only ones this mental.........................?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

There are 3 schools and a leisure centre at one point on that route, so there are a lot of people on bicycles at certain parts of the day. There are also a lot of people who cycle on the pavement to get to schools such as Maiden Erlegh.

I think the scheme would be well used, but just needs improving from the current poor design.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

I've seen people complaining about the new tiger crossing in Caversham and that many drivers fail to stop to let pedestrians cross. Specifically at night when the visibility is poorer. I concur, I've had the same experience by Norcot Roundabout, Cow Lane and Oxford Road.

Why don't the council put in pelican crossings instead? They're far safer.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 08:08 There are 3 schools and a leisure centre at one point on that route, so there are a lot of people on bicycles at certain parts of the day. There are also a lot of people who cycle on the pavement to get to schools such as Maiden Erlegh.

I think the scheme would be well used, but just needs improving from the current poor design.
I come home just as most schools, are coming out and don’t see quite a few walking but not that many cycling, but don’t go along Woodlands so accept there could be but...........
The blurb about the reasons for this are to allow cyclists going between Woodley and Reading centres which is a far larger area than school catchments cover and I don’t think many cycle that way

I agree a better (or any) scheme to make it safer for cyclists would be good, but not at the detriment of other vehicles on the road – this will effect all including buses, and take away parking areas
I cycle when I can (bad knees permitting) and often do the route from East Reading to Woodley and back and don’t have any safety issues along it – same with into town and back so wonder what has prompted it
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 25 Jan 2022 06:25 How local is it to you? I suspect they're only required to make efforts to contact people directly affected (I.e. those who live there). You can sign up on their website to be kept informed of consultations.
We live quarter mile or so away, and use Woodland's Ave a lot. As said, the traffic disruption by pushing it on to Beechwood Ave/Howth Drive is crazy. Also never seen that many cyclists - even at school closing time… there are a few but they use the footpaths mainly.- and from seeing other cycle lanes, will probably continue to do so! We find it’s a rare sight to see cyclists in the lanes made for their use (locally). The money is apparently coming from the Government to ‘improve traffic flow’…. Well mending a few potholes and some very poor road surfaces round here would do that too!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 25 Jan 2022 12:47
Pooneil wrote: 25 Jan 2022 06:25 How local is it to you? I suspect they're only required to make efforts to contact people directly affected (I.e. those who live there). You can sign up on their website to be kept informed of consultations.
We live quarter mile or so away, and use Woodland's Ave a lot. As said, the traffic disruption by pushing it on to Beechwood Ave/Howth Drive is crazy. Also never seen that many cyclists - even at school closing time… there are a few but they use the footpaths mainly
The new changes to the Highway Code apparently makes it very clear that cyclists are not to use pavements, so perhaps that will increase road use by cyclists.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 25 Jan 2022 13:41 The new changes to the Highway Code apparently makes it very clear that cyclists are not to use pavements, so perhaps that will increase road use by cyclists.
Ha! I’d doubt that’ll make much difference! Many cyclists do as they want - we all know that…. And who’s going to monitor them? They’re not supposed to cycle through the shopping precinct, but they do, weaving in and out of shoppers - rarely have a bell or a shout of warning :whistle1: and I suspect many more will if this scheme is impleted as it’ll cut a few corners…..
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Idiots use all forms of transport, not just bicycles. Plenty of cars drive around with faulty lights, illegal number plates and as if other road users are beneath them.

You probably don't notice the law abiding cyclists but just notice the ones that annoy you.

I've found many pedestrians on shared paths don't notice bells because they are too busy talking to their friend or have earphones in so cannot hear a thing. I have a 110dB air horn which I use if I really need to, but I try not to scare people, even if they are unobservant.

BTW, the section of the new rules about cycling in the middle of the lane has been taught on government cycling courses for a number of years now. It means that cars cannot squeeze past because they are in a hurry, but have to wait until there is a proper gap in the traffic. Thus making it a lot safer for the cyclist.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 15:24 Idiots use all forms of transport, not just bicycles. Plenty of cars drive around with faulty lights, illegal number plates and as if other road users are beneath them.

You probably don't notice the law abiding cyclists but just notice the ones that annoy you.

I've found many pedestrians on shared paths don't notice bells because they are too busy talking to their friend or have earphones in so cannot hear a thing. I have a 110dB air horn which I use if I really need to, but I try not to scare people, even if they are unobservant.

BTW, the section of the new rules about cycling in the middle of the lane has been taught on government cycling courses for a number of years now. It means that cars cannot squeeze past because they are in a hurry, but have to wait until there is a proper gap in the traffic. Thus making it a lot safer for the cyclist.
Fed-up - oh yes, I know about those motorists too - and yes, I find it pleasing to see the law-abiding cyclists :) and yes many people do walk around oblivious - or ‘shut-off’ from everything around them…. Like the ones who ‘blindly’ step on the pedestrian crossings without a thought for what might hit them, or are busy chatting either in the phone or to someone with them….
Cycling Courses are good - but not every cyclist attends them, or if they have, then forget them next time they’re out. Maybe they should be mandatory before being able to have a bike?
Of course there’s ‘good and bad’ behaviour by everyone who uses the roads, but a bicycle is a particular personal form of transport for children and adults - I’d doubt a motorist would decide to cross the shopping precinct - which seems to be the comment that particularly irked you :)
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The times I have been in Woodley Precinct, I have not seen people cycling furiously across the paved area. Then again, it does not help having a number of the cycle stands in the middle of the precinct, rather than at the edge. That only encourages people to cycle to them.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Three way traffic lights in operation at the junction of Tilehurst Road and Western Elms this morning and causing chaos. No information on one.network, so presumably short notice and short term. May be gone by now.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 16:00 The times I have been in Woodley Precinct, I have not seen people cycling furiously across the paved area. Then again, it does not help having a number of the cycle stands in the middle of the precinct, rather than at the edge. That only encourages people to cycle to them.
I didn’t say they were cycling ‘furiously’ :) but yes,they do cycle across, I must admit it must tempting as it does cut a big corner off…and if they’re shopping (?) then is it so much of a problem to get off and walk the bike across the stands? Which probably many do -I wasn’t referring to them. But yes, they’d be better placed near the car park - maybe there’s a security issue with that and cyclists prefer to be able to see their bike?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

So if they are not cycling furiously, what's the problem?

A person riding a bike uses less space than walking beside one. If they are careful then there shouldn't be a problem. If I can, I like to stay on my bike rather than walk it. It is a bicycle and not a bi-walk, after all. :whistle1:
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 16:46 So if they are not cycling furiously, what's the problem?

A person riding a bike uses less space than walking beside one. If they are careful then there shouldn't be a problem. If I can, I like to stay on my bike rather than walk it. It is a bicycle and not a bi-walk, after all. :whistle1:
The problem is that they shouldn’t be riding there at all! Furiously or otherwise - and I doknow it’s not a bi-walk - but it’s only a few yards to the stands… :)
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Personally, unless they are causing a problem, I think let them be. It is probably safer for them to cycle slowly through the precinct than travel on the roads around it.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 17:12 Personally, unless they are causing a problem, I think let them be. It is probably safer for them to cycle slowly through the precinct than travel on the roads around it.
:shrug1:
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

A lot of the behaviour that people complain about from cyclists (idiots and darwin nominees aside) is about self preservation.

If they are in a collision with a motor vehicle, it is most likely that the cyclist will come off worst. That is why cyclists will avoid cycling in the gutter and take the lane, and why they will go to the front of a queue at red traffic lights and sometimes go over the line to make sure they are clear of any cars. It is also why they will sometimes go on the pavement, instead of continuing on the road. As long as they give way to pedestrians and don't cause a problem I do not have a problem with that. I would rather that someone is out on a pedal bike instead of driving a car.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Well they’ve finished the emergency works by Pepper Ln but confusingly the works (Open Reach) by Betchworth are showing as 24th-26th (but not started) with a second one in the same spot for 25th/26th and both different works numbers – but nothing this morning as I came through so not sure about which way to go home later!

But............HEADS UP – as I went along Shinfield Rd they were just setting lights up for more works, although nothing on One-network until 31st to 2nd and more on the 7th – all WBC
And there has been work along that stretch every few weeks now

And just saw 31st to 2nd TW will be doing work along by top of Whitley Wood Rd with more lights!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 25 Jan 2022 16:55
Fed-up wrote: 25 Jan 2022 16:46 So if they are not cycling furiously, what's the problem?

The problem is that they shouldn’t be riding there at all! Furiously or otherwise - and I doknow it’s not a bi-walk - but it’s only a few yards to the stands… :)
There are cycle racks by the car-park near Lidl and at each end of the Precinct and dotted around it, so never sure why they have ones by the disabled parking area – especially as it says NO CYCLING on the road going in so only way to access them is cycle all through the pedestrian area where it also says NO CYCLING?

In fact if you look all of the Precinct is no cycling so does mean you are ‘supposed’ to walk to the racks
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

as far as the Bulmershe area towards Woodley TC being cycle friendly.

Doesn't it help to at least try the cycle "priority" and see if more kids cycle to school?
Loads probably don't as there are too many cars.
At least give it a couple of years and see if the cycle uptake rises?

You can't move near my house where parents drop off kids "because of the traffic" and are totally unaware that they are the problem,.
Parents looking for drop off spots are way less attentive than the average resident or traveller using the roads.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 26 Jan 2022 07:49 Well they’ve finished the emergency works by Pepper Ln but confusingly the works (Open Reach) by Betchworth are showing as 24th-26th (but not started) with a second one in the same spot for 25th/26th and both different works numbers – but nothing this morning as I came through so not sure about which way to go home later!

But............HEADS UP – as I went along Shinfield Rd they were just setting lights up for more works, although nothing on One-network until 31st to 2nd and more on the 7th – all WBC
And there has been work along that stretch every few weeks now

And just saw 31st to 2nd TW will be doing work along by top of Whitley Wood Rd with more lights!
Update on this (from FB) – Wilderness Rd now has the work / lights along it, Shinfield Rd is another burst water main - lights / work until 28th!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

If the environment for cycling and walking is awful then people won't do it. Simple as that. Build the facilities and you then have a chance to convince people to adopt a healthier way to travel. However you need to make sure that the changes don't make the situation worse for those in the surrounding area. Making Woodlands Avenue one way between Howth and Woodley TC will force cars onto Beechwood Avenue. Cars park on Beechwood Avenue on the side heading towards the TC so this will cause delays for buses and motor vehicles, or they will be forced through the South Lake estate to the south. There are other problems as well. I have written a whole essay on the survey site, but basically it is a good idea that has been badly designed.

I cycled past Bulmershe this morning.

There were a large number of pupils walking, scooting and cycling, even in the middle of winter, which was encouraging to see. I missed the Bulmershe rush, who are more likely to cycle independently.

As for school run parents, what I want to say about the way that some of them behave is not suitable for a public forum. It is only a minority of parents but they really do let the rest down in a big way!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Good / bad news

The works in Wilderness Rd appear to have been finished – they were just clearing up as I went through his morning – and nothing showing on one.network now
BUT - the one along Shinfield Rd is bad – traffic was so heavy by the shops I went down WWL / Hartland to the A33 that way
I guess not helped by parents taking kids to the school along there!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

All the works I've mentioned have gone now
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Now up and running - 3-way at the junction
Not too bad at my travel time but think will cause hold-ups at school / peak - avoid if possible
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Not sure why but Caversham seems to be in gridlock this morning. Non moving queues both sides of the bridge. 7.30am
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”