ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
OLDMAN

ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by OLDMAN »

Been thinking of doing this for a while and things this week has prompted me

This thread is to report / inform forum members of any road and traffic problems in and around Reading
Others already do this but it’s often in random places or new threads – this should get them all in one place anyone can check on

Lets try and not veer ‘off topic’ with debates etc - and maybe once the individual subject has been sorted we could even delete that / those comments
Let’s see how it goes
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Re: ROAD AND TRAFFIC PROBLEMS IN AND AROUND READING

Post by OLDMAN »

First up there is a water leak / burst pipe in Elm Rd just before the Elm Ln roundabout – it is being worked on so some temp’ lights but – the water is freezing on the road so lost of slushy ice, I just drove through and its quite slippery

Second one – There is a very large / nasty pot-hole on the A4 London Rd / Suttons Roundabout, it’s on the inside lane as you go around to the A3290 – I saw it Tuesday and have reported it
It wo be very bad for a motorcyclist

And - not mine – the roadworks with the pot hole that VoT unfortunately did her tyre in at
Maybe someone can shed more details on that area
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Thanks OM - good idea I had a deliberate look at it on the way in the day after. I thought it might have been one of those yellow ‘plastic’ ramp things that they use to help pedestrians get over the kerb, jutting out into the road. It’s very rigid and id presumed it had slid down into the road such that I’d caught my wheel on it - it’s just in the narrow part of the chicane of roadworks.

Daylight revealed there seems to be a Y shaped pothole, with the wide end of the Y towards the kerb, just by the ramp. It’s pretty deep and enough to pinch the rim of your tyre with a hell of a bang, and pop it. I was driving slowly to look but had another car join behind me so couldn’t linger. Maybe someone might get a better look.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Another one – temp lights on Church Rd just past / outside St Peters School towards the railway bridge
Causing little hold-up at times
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Is the road past Sonning Bridge open now? The river level is dropping but there was still a road closed sign up in Sonning on Wednesday afternoon.
eddieed
Super Contributor

Post by eddieed »

spectrum64 wrote: 12 Feb 2021 11:12 Is the road past Sonning Bridge open now? The river level is dropping but there was still a road closed sign up in Sonning on Wednesday afternoon.
Closed until the 17th apparently. I suspect partly as the road needs clearing of Debris! That is of course if there is no more rain!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

I had to go to Tesco Extra on Napier Road at tea time and it was horrendous, because of the temporary lights just as to you exit the roundabout. Traffic was queueing a little around the roundabout on my way in, and on the way back, about 6pm it was still solid from Tesco to the roundabout.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There’s another burst water pipe in Shinfield Rd just near the school gateway - temp lights and lots of water this morning (enough to be a main).................hope it doesn’t freeze!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 Feb 2021 08:20 Another one – temp lights on Church Rd just past / outside St Peters School towards the railway bridge
Causing little hold-up at times
GONE
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

OLDMAN wrote: 12 Feb 2021 07:03 First up there is a water leak / burst pipe in Elm Rd just before the Elm Ln roundabout – it is being worked on so some temp’ lights but – the water is freezing on the road so lost of slushy ice, I just drove through and its quite slippery

Second one – There is a very large / nasty pot-hole on the A4 London Rd / Suttons Roundabout, it’s on the inside lane as you go around to the A3290 – I saw it Tuesday and have reported it
It wo be very bad for a motorcyclist

And - not mine – the roadworks with the pot hole that VoT unfortunately did her tyre in at
Maybe someone can shed more details on that area
ELM RD GONE
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

Souwester wrote: 13 Feb 2021 01:41 I had to go to Tesco Extra on Napier Road at tea time and it was horrendous, because of the temporary lights just as to you exit the roundabout. Traffic was queueing a little around the roundabout on my way in, and on the way back, about 6pm it was still solid from Tesco to the roundabout.
People have been complaining about this on our local community Facebook page. At very busy times the whole of Tesco car park has been gridlocked. I am rather pleased that I don't go shopping any more!
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Please can anyone tell me if there is still traffic disruption round Napier rd. Thanks.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

FWIW Google Maps is not showing any problems - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.45648 ... a=!5m1!1e1 - you may need to switch on Traffic.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

Thank you.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

maggieaitch wrote: 25 Feb 2021 10:47 Please can anyone tell me if there is still traffic disruption round Napier rd. Thanks.
The lights are still there right next to the roundabout, so there is scope for delays if the queue blocks the roundabout.

This morning there was a lane closed in Forbury Road southbound next to Huntley and Palmers.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

OK thank you. I only want to get to Tesco.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Odd one today, and not there last night when I came home
There has been some minor roadworks in Church Rd near Three Tuns Junction but................
This morning there was a large Road Closed sign at the end of St Peters Rd and a diversion sign pointing Left, not good for me as wanted to go right
I pulled out and carefully drove along and sure enough more Road Closed signs / barriers etc, but it was okay to cut round via Heath Rd / Wokingham Rd – I presume the diversion sign is to stop too many doing that
Problem is if you do turn left there is nowhere to go without traveling miles round to make the move ‘to the right’ alternative would be go back down St Peters and up Wokingham Rd?

But - I did note it seemed to be just the left side of the road that was closed as the other side looked clear – and at the TT lights there were signs pointing left which showed Road Works / Narrow Lane but nothing to say closed – a couple of cars went across that way, then police van with blues on did the same, they hesitated then drive on down so it seems to be shut only on the approach to the junction from up Church Rd!
Not sure how long it’s for
And should be fun as a lot of traffic comes that way, often due to the poor light phasing it can be queued back almost to Woodlands Ave at times
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Google maps shows a road closure on A3290 at Suttons Seeds. I think it is just the bridge closed so traffic has to use the roandabout to get to TVP.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 02 Mar 2021 07:31 Odd one today, and not there last night when I came home
There has been some minor roadworks in Church Rd near Three Tuns Junction but................
Ah shame you won’t be going that way on Friday... I have to go to Shinfield-Arborfield on Friday afternoon - so maybe best to go down Culver Lane, and up to the lights?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 02 Mar 2021 12:17
OLDMAN wrote: 02 Mar 2021 07:31 Odd one today, and not there last night when I came home
Ah shame you won’t be going that way on Friday... I have to go to Shinfield-Arborfield on Friday afternoon - so maybe best to go down Culver Lane, and up to the lights?
It may be gone by then although they have been doing stuff along there for the last couple of weeks so better to be safe
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Coming home last night it was very quiet along that bit - I’m guessing there must be warning signs further back and majority aren't chancing it
BUT some are - last night I popped into the Co-Op and as I came out 4 cars went through the ‘closed’ section on the wrong side of road, another tried it but had to stop / wait for me, then a long queue behind – I, and some I could see in my mirrors, plus a guy working there all ‘gestured’ to him!!!!!!!
I went up that way this morning, but a car came through the ‘open’ bit started flashing then pulled across / blocked Heath Rd (where I wanted to go) and the start of the ‘closed’ bit, then ‘gestured’ at me – not sure why as wasn’t going to use the closed bit and was indicating to turn right.....
Suffice to say I gave them a ‘little wave’ back.............................

Did see on FB the bus going up that way was being diverted down St Peter Rd – bet that was fun!

Checked up and its emergency gas works, and says it’s on until Friday 5th March so yes, avoid it
As there has been markings along the road / path and other work along there I’m guessing they may have ruptured or damaged a gas pipe which had been smelt / reported and why it appeared overnight

And I did have a wry smile as I came out the Co-Op at an a***wipe cycling along there with I presume his wife, (both in lycra lout outfits) I watched them struggle through as the path they tried to use is also closed that side, and he then shouted over ‘ I can’t see what the fuss is their just digging a big hole’......does he think they do that just for fun, what sort of moronic idiot would think that? :whistle1:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 03 Mar 2021 08:06 Checked up and its emergency gas works, and says it’s on until Friday 5th March so yes, avoid it
Thanks - yes will do.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Came round the Reading Bridge/Napier Road roundabout this evening and the traffic lights appear to have gone, although when I called in to Tesco on Friday there were no traffic problems at all anyway.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Church Rd closure / works had gone by Saturday, but the Road Closed signs where still up, gone by Sunday morning
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

4 way temporary traffic lights at the roundabout where Elm Road meets Elm Lane at 14.30 today...
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ollycat wrote: 08 Mar 2021 16:53 4 way temporary traffic lights at the roundabout where Elm Road meets Elm Lane at 14.30 today...
Yes they appeared during the day as not there first thing and no warning signs it was about to happen - last night the queue going out was back almost to the Three Tuns junction - not so bad the other way for me but still added 12mins onto the journey

I’ve looked it up and its planned works (so why no pre-warning signs) by TW under WBC and on from 8th to 11th

Will go another way tonight
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Just popped up to Double Barrelled to pick up some beer. Traffic is awful. There's a 4 way set of lights on Oxford Road just townside of Grovelands Road. Unfortunately, if you try to use Portman Road, there's also lights-controlled one way traffic by Ashmore Terrace, just townside of the access to Tescos.

Also northbound on the A33 north of Green Park is slow, because of the roadworks on the Kennet Island stretch of the northbound stretch.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Pooneil wrote: 13 Mar 2021 15:10 Just popped up to Double Barrelled to pick up some beer. Traffic is awful. There's a 4 way set of lights on Oxford Road just townside of Grovelands Road. Unfortunately, if you try to use Portman Road, there's also lights-controlled one way traffic by Ashmore Terrace, just townside of the access to Tescos.

Also northbound on the A33 north of Green Park is slow, because of the roadworks on the Kennet Island stretch of the northbound stretch.
Thanks for the heads up... I was just about to drive over to the far end of Oxford Road. I'll leave it till later.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Pooneil wrote: 13 Mar 2021 15:10 Just popped up to Double Barrelled to pick up some beer. Traffic is awful. There's a 4 way set of lights on Oxford Road just townside of Grovelands Road. Unfortunately, if you try to use Portman Road, there's also lights-controlled one way traffic by Ashmore Terrace, just townside of the access to Tescos.
Drove through both of those twice today. By the second time (~17:00), Portman Road had been opened up, although I'm not sure if that was just overnight or for good. The Oxford Road ones very much still in place and causing total chaos.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Thankfully we missed it all, did get caught along Portman Rd the other week but wasn’t too bad the time we went
As we went up Castle Hill and along Tilehurst Rd to the care home on Thursday and wanted to get to B&M down Oxford Rd we only caught the bottom of Groveland’s, but at a decent quiet time but -
Coming out it was a solid queens past Norcot / Portman roundabout so I cut up through Tilehurst and via M4 to get along A33
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

OLDMAN wrote: 15 Mar 2021 11:21 Coming out it was a solid queens past Norcot / Portman roundabout so I cut up through Tilehurst and via M4 to get along A33
I didn't realise it was Reading Pride this week. :-) :-) :-)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

:roflol3:
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

There is a lane closure on the A33 northbound just past B&Q. Just a little queue as traffic is generally light.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Two to report:
North side of Caversham Bridge the Church Street, Church Road lights are out of action with temporary lights operating. Long queues all day.

Huntley and Palmers Kings Road going towards Cemetery Junction was down to a single lane for roadworks. Traffic queueing back along Forbury Road and no doubt back towards the Oracle.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

spectrum64 wrote: 29 Mar 2021 17:40 Two to report:
North side of Caversham Bridge the Church Street, Church Road lights are out of action with temporary lights operating. Long queues all day.

Huntley and Palmers Kings Road going towards Cemetery Junction was down to a single lane for roadworks. Traffic queueing back along Forbury Road and no doubt back towards the Oracle.
The H&P / Kings Rd one was like the on Saturday, I thought maybe just one day from the look of it, but obviously not - thanks for the warning
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”