COVID-19: The Politics

it's about what it says on the tin .......

If you're a councillor or MP and would like a link to your website or blog, then email or PM me with the details.
OLDMAN

Re: COVID-19: The Politics

Post by OLDMAN »

Not sure what all the talk of non-training is, but people are being trained
A friend is a trainee nurse and started before covid hit, she did placement during lockdown as they needed extra help, but it was classed as part of her training, then she went back to college
She is now back on placement for her final year, then she will be a fully qualified ward and theatre nurse and can become full time, and progress further with more training

She said there was a group of about 50 of them on the same course
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Nurse training has changed massively .
It was originally done by the hospital, the students were paid to be students and most would be able to find jobs at the hospital they trained at.

These days the students pay for the education themselves at £9k a year.
The Government scrapped the Nursing Bursary to save money

more nurses are leaving than joining.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I think paying for it depends on which course you are on, my friend had told me she is classed as an apprentice in full time education (she even has a student pass etc) and then gets paid a limited salary on any placement, which is good as if away and has to stay in accommodation she has to pay for that at the time
Something like midwifery has to be paid for, I know someone who did that a few years back
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Had a shock when I looked at the figures for Reading this morning but then realised that they had changed the methodology.

Public Health for Berkshire
From 31st January the way Covid-19 cases are reported in England will change. Instead of reporting how many people have the virus, the data will report the total number of episodes. So, one person who has had two Covid-19 infections will count as two cases not one person. As the data is reconfigured, this will result in a large increase in the number of cases reported for 31st January. Our Dashboard will be updated on Tuesday 1st February to reflect these changes. Please bear with us while these changes are being made. For more information please visit: Cases definition to include multiple infection episodes from 31 January 2022 | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk).

Somewhat complicates trend graphs but seems a reasonable thing to do.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Nursing bursaries were not repayable and given on top of having fees paid.
Now they are additional loans on top of the student paid fees.
https://inews.co.uk/news/health/nursing ... ent-376463

A friend is currently going through midwifery training and just about managing
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

IMHO, midwives - and other high vacancy healthcare roles such as paediatrics - should have a golden hello whilst training/on completion of training and a sum of money given after the first full year in the role. Surely that would help ease the financial pain and perhaps entice more people in.

Problem is, you can train thousands and have the best incentives in the world, it still won’t (nor should it) shorten the length of time training takes, which is part of the problem. Likewise more Police wanted in the streets - takes a long time between recruitment and deployment.....
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

C.A.Versham wrote: 01 Feb 2022 09:12 Had a shock when I looked at the figures for Reading this morning but then realised that they had changed the methodology.

Public Health for Berkshire
From 31st January the way Covid-19 cases are reported in England will change. Instead of reporting how many people have the virus, the data will report the total number of episodes. So, one person who has had two Covid-19 infections will count as two cases not one person. As the data is reconfigured, this will result in a large increase in the number of cases reported for 31st January. Our Dashboard will be updated on Tuesday 1st February to reflect these changes. Please bear with us while these changes are being made. For more information please visit: Cases definition to include multiple infection episodes from 31 January 2022 | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk).

Somewhat complicates trend graphs but seems a reasonable thing to do.
The 7-day average rates and and the daily reported cases still show infections numbers rising again.
A8423735-1377-4865-B200-220BC8CC271B.jpeg
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I have to say, that I only know of one person (family got it all the same time early on, as one is a front line worker) that has had Covid and don’t know anyone who has had it twice or more. Vaccination hadn’t started when they had it either.

So if multiple infections are being reported from January 31 2022, how far back are they going with the historical data (or did I miss that bit?) previous 90 days? Longer?
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

You can see the reinfections in the national data. It does not appear to make up a large proportion of the cases. Here are the cases for Reading - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details ... me=Reading Reinfections are the dark blue on the 2nd graph.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 01 Feb 2022 16:14 I have to say, that I only know of one person (family got it all the same time early on, as one is a front line worker) that has had Covid and don’t know anyone who has had it twice or more. Vaccination hadn’t started when they had it either.

So if multiple infections are being reported from January 31 2022, how far back are they going with the historical data (or did I miss that bit?) previous 90 days? Longer?
I know 2 people who had it twice, once before vaccination and once after for both of them, but it didn’t stop the teenager getting long Covid 🙄
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I’ve had three friends pass away with it, and numerous who’ve had it including family
Two old friends I’ve seen recently (visiting Reading) have both had it twice, second time was after being fully jabbed, one was effected quite badly the second time and got told it was long Covid, so its possible even with all the jabs but I think it’s down to individuals and any other ‘conditions’ they have

Hence I will still wear my mask in shops etc unit it does feel safe (proven) not to
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Finally had a response from Reading Council leader Jason Brock.

To sum it up. It's OK if you broke lockdown rules as long as you didn't set the rules.

Seems at odds with the messages Cllr Brocks council put out. "Follow the rules and help keep everyone in Reading safe" "Let's do the right thing for Reading" "Hands, face, space".
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Masks provide only limited protection from infection for the wearer and are used / advised to largely prevent the wearer spreading infection.
Wearing a mask not only protects others, it shows a respect for others having the right no to be infected. Some though are far too important to have respect for others and so refuse to wear masks when in crowded places - respectful people must also respect the important peoples' right to decide not to wear a mask. In the factory, I just keep my distance from these "far too important" people.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

:goodposting:
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Ditto.

First rule is protect yourself - there’s no cure for stupid.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 02 Feb 2022 11:44 there’s no cure for stupid.
I give you the Darwin Awards - https://darwinawards.com/ - "The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner"
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Fed-up wrote: 02 Feb 2022 13:09
I give you the Darwin Awards - https://darwinawards.com/ - "The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner"
Good grief.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 02 Feb 2022 13:39
Good grief.
Never heard of them before, VoT? They're an excellent round up every year of the various fatal cretinous stupidities that individuals have perpetrated upon themselves.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

D5equj5 wrote: 02 Feb 2022 10:49 Masks provide only limited protection from infection for the wearer and are used / advised to largely prevent the wearer spreading infection.
Wearing a mask not only protects others, it shows a respect for others having the right no to be infected. Some though are far too important to have respect for others and so refuse to wear masks when in crowded places - respectful people must also respect the important peoples' right to decide not to wear a mask. In the factory, I just keep my distance from these "far too important" people.
There's an interesting article here about the once-famous Reading Sauce made by James Cocks and then his son Charles, the latter of whom built a factory to produce the sauce on the site occupied now by the Central Library. Perhaps as D5 wanders around his current factory, he may reflect on how it was once presided over by important, successful and productive Cocks, and then mentally compare and contrast that with the current arrangements...
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/berks ... e-22341711
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Well I never. Thank you Poo
Keep safe
XX
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

But Poo, the original Cock developed a product and worked hard to produce, market and sell it, unlike the present leaders. Unfortunately similar establishments throughout the UK are run by management-trained types, more interested in their own little empire and outward appearances than in producing a decent product or encouraging and developing their staff. Birmingham spent over £180 million on their factory, standing like a gaudy ocean liner in the centre of town ( in which the lifts and elevators often do not work) and almost immediately sacked a large majority of of their productive staff who served the public, leaving, of course a large number of bureaucrats who do nothing very useful
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Cocks Sauce may not be Covid Politics, but it's a most interesting diversion. Worth struggling with getreading for.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Pooneil wrote: 02 Feb 2022 15:09

Good grief.
Never heard of them before, VoT? They're an excellent round up every year of the various fatal cretinous stupidities that individuals have perpetrated upon themselves.
Sadly not, Poo. There is a small recess in he olde alien bonce that seems to remember something similar some years ago, perhaps it was that. Unbelievable how dim some people are - and they can’t all be ‘Mericans :roflol3:
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

MickEdge wrote: 02 Feb 2022 17:07 Cocks Sauce may not be Covid Politics, but it's a most interesting diversion. Worth struggling with getreading for.
Struggling is an understatement. Getreading is getting worse
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

mikejee wrote: 02 Feb 2022 18:54
MickEdge wrote: 02 Feb 2022 17:07 Cocks Sauce may not be Covid Politics, but it's a most interesting diversion. Worth struggling with getreading for.
Struggling is an understatement. Getreading is getting worse
I didn’t even get past the first para before it crashed MJ.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Pooneil wrote: 02 Feb 2022 15:09

Good grief.
I love following the Darwin Awards
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Blimey, John Major isn't beating about the bush, is he.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-mistrust
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Good 🙂
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Shock horror Boris seen in the same room as an opened bottle of wine.
Jeez
Keep safe
XX
Call me 2jabsD5
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

The real shock horror would be if he was honest, but he is obviously genetically forced to lie, so that will not happen
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

We have a leader who is an over-entitled, congenitally lying narcissist who has been caught out and is cornered like a rat with nowhere to go. Not a pretty sight at the best of times, but right now Vlad the Impaler is massing his troops on the eastern flank, having played his game of destabilising the west with the precision of a chess master.

It is no longer time for niceties. Boris must go, one way or another, and be replaced by somebody up to the job.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Not being facetious, Chris, but who do you suggest replaces him?

Got to be honest, influential, statesman (or woman) esque, well liked and supported by colleagues, squeaky clean and credible. Answers on a postcard please.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Answers on the back of a postage stamp !
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

lizwing wrote: 10 Feb 2022 15:16 Answers on the back of a postage stamp !
Heheh. Naughty Liz :-)
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 10 Feb 2022 15:09 Not being facetious, Chris, but who do you suggest replaces him?

Got to be honest, influential, statesman (or woman) esque, well liked and supported by colleagues, squeaky clean and credible. Answers on a postcard please.
Well a start would be to have never been to Eton , Harrow or the like. This would thus ensure there being at least some chance that they do not think themselves immune to criticism or some sort of superior being ., as opposed to the truth that they are likely to be an obnoxious p888k
It would also likely mean that they had knowledge in something useful rather than Latin, Greek or , worst of all, PPE (Politics, Philosophy & Economics)

Return to “from and to our Councillors, MPs and political representatives”