COVID-19: The Politics

it's about what it says on the tin .......

If you're a councillor or MP and would like a link to your website or blog, then email or PM me with the details.
Mayfield

Re: COVID-19: The Politics

Post by Mayfield »

I think they have to be particularly vulnerable , but not 100% on that.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Yes I think you’re right Mayfield
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

On the plus side I think it’s 60% of people in England (?) haven’t had Covid…I suppose that’s good …
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

lizwing wrote: 15 Jan 2022 13:17 Round here I know of a couple of people who are having a fourth vaccination, I thought we were told that a fourth one wouldn’t be necessary?
People with a severely weakened immune system are eligible for a 4th dose at least 91 days after their 3rd.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

1st dose - felt dreadful
2nd dose - no reaction at all
Booster - felt dreadful
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

My only reaction was an achey arm for the third one….
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Perhaps after they have finished podcasting and appearing on the seemingly endless news items about COVID the medical researchers will look more thoroughly at why some people catch it and others in the same household don't.

A local example. A chap tested positive on Christmas Eve having experienced mild symptoms. He thought he caught it from a work colleague as his job requires him to leave home and if he didn't, he would not get paid (unlike most of those imposing lockdowns). Not wanting to stay in isolation over Christmas he asked his wife and children if they would be happy for him to pass it on to them and all stay together in isolation at home. They said yes so he continued to sleep with his wife and hug them all. The outcome was that he tested negative a few days later and none of his family ever tested positive.

This is not an isolated case that I have heard of and forumites may know of others.

I suppose it could have been a false positive but in the other cases I know of the partner has been quite ill whilst their nearest and dearest has had nothing.

I think some work is taking place to study this to determine whether there is something in the genetic makeup of individuals that provides some immunity.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Iirc this was in the news yesterday, research is starting…some people seem to get it multiple times, ( Sir Kier Starmer ) others not at all .

There are 6 people next door to us, 4 had it, two didn’t….however a work colleague of my daughter got it from his wife who was both the primary source of the infection and had several contra indications, where as he was the fit healthy one .
She was fine, he died. ☹️

It’s a puzzle…
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

I only know of one person that has had covid. Their daughter is an NHS physio in London and brought it home t the family, pre-vaccination campaign. They’d been well away from us both a long time before, and after, their illness.

As for whyit affects some with co morbidities and floors others that don’t have them, Like most things in the medical world, there sometimes aren’t any definite answers. It will be many years before Covid unwinds all it’s secrets.

Just returned from a quick trip into town. Noticeably fewer people wearing masks in the ‘Orrible and Marks’ - majority seem to be younger to middle aged and in what we’ve been lead to believe are in more vulnerable groups. You can see the challenge in their eyes of ‘go on, say something’. Still plenty of mouth and chin wearers around as well - even people working in the shops.

I suspect the people that catch it multiple times (Novak No Jab-Voice for example) have a high enough viral load to get it but too low to give them much if any, immunity. I know it’s hard to be vigilant all the time, gawd knows we all slip up, but after one bout you’d think you’d be even more careful wouldn’t you.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s not just covid, our son came home for a weekend with a heavy cold and we assumed we’d both catch it but neither of us did. Our neighbour had covid right at the start and had to isolate from her family, luckily these houses have three levels and the top floor is fairly self contained with the main bathroom up there so she was ok but her husband had the problem of explaining to their little girl, who was only 3 why she couldn’t see her mummy for so long. Neither of them caught it from her.
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Awww. What a shame - we had to keep well away from the Elder Voice whilst pregnant (her, that is, not us, lol). Perhaps people are now automatically much ‘cleaner’ in their daily habits than before, with handwashing etc, and that’s enough to keep colds and flu away. Both can thrive on surfaces for some time (whereas covid can’t).
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Mayfield wrote: 16 Jan 2022 11:25 My only reaction was an achey arm for the third one….
I must admit, I had the worst achy arm with my booster. However, I also had loss of appetite, felt rough and nearly fainted.

1st dose, I had really bad flu like symptoms and had to go to bed.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Neither of us had any symptoms except a slightly achy arm, all of them were Pfizer.
Our neighbour VoT stayed in a bedroom and her husband took food and drink up to her but put it on a table outside the room then went downstairs but the baby wasn’t allowed anywhere near her. Luckily she wasn’t very badly affected by it.
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I dread getting sick. No table service for me 😳
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Me too, I’d starve to death…🙄
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Me too - probably have to live on cheese on toast :))

Just checked up on a neighbour/friend. A couple of weeks ago - she being the fitter one (he had a stroke a couple of years ago and not quite 100% recovered)… decided to trim their cherry tree - up the ladder, 15ft at the top, missed her footing and crashed to the ground…. ambulance > RBH where she had a scan. Thankfully(?) two broken bones but her spine is OK. So then debated whether to operate, decided not, but have ‘bound’ her and kept her in for a few days…. So checked today if she was home - her OH opened the door, no she’s not, she caught Covid in hospital! … and because he’d been visiting, collecting her laundry, he’s also got it too :banghead:
You couldn’t make it up!
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Hospitals are the least healthy places to be it seems to me.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 16 Jan 2022 16:05 Hospitals are the least healthy places to be it seems to me.
Which isn’t right surely?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

No of course it isn’t, they’ve always been the same, well in recent years anyway. I had both my sons in the RBH and came home both times with infections, even one of the babies had an eye infection, all picked up on the ward.
BY Paulo Coelho
BOY RACER
Super Contributor

Post by BOY RACER »

Well Ladies you may have the answer to stopping the continuing progression of COVID. Close all the HOSPITALS. I have told my OH that if I have any further medical problems I do not want to be admitted to an NHS HOSPITAL. PRIVATE hospital YES. but these are likely to be taken over by the NHS anyway so a no win situation. So what is the answer?.
I may be a founder member of the “Grumpy Old Men’s Club” but I never complain. :whistle1:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Don’t get ill !
BY Paulo Coelho
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

According to one of those "seemingly endless news items", there is some developing evidence that a recent (in the last year or two) infection with one of the four Coronavirus caused common colds may confer a similar level of immunity as a previous infection with Covid. That might go some way to explaining why some people have escaped, although it clearly isn't the whole story, given some people have had multiple infections.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 12:29As for whyit affects some with co morbidities and floors others that don’t have them, Like most things in the medical world, there sometimes aren’t any definite answers. It will be many years before Covid unwinds all it’s secrets.
The same is true for nearly every medical condition. It was always the case that if somebody came into the office with a bad cold, ome people would get it and some wouldn't, and it wouldn't necessarily be those that were closest or had most contact with the person would get it. Not everybody who smokes gets lung cancer, not everybody who falls badly gets the same injuries. Not everybody who worked with lepers got leprosy, heck there have even been a few people who survived ebola outbreaks unscathed. The human body is composed of billions of cells and components, and there's always going to be some variability in a population of several billion people made up of so many components.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Pooneil wrote: 16 Jan 2022 18:40
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 16 Jan 2022 12:29As for whyit affects some with co morbidities and floors others that don’t have them, Like most things in the medical world, there sometimes aren’t any definite answers. It will be many years before Covid unwinds all it’s secrets.
The same is true for nearly every medical condition. It was always the case that if somebody came into the office with a bad cold, ome people would get it and some wouldn't, and it wouldn't necessarily be those that were closest or had most contact with the person would get it. Not everybody who smokes gets lung cancer, not everybody who falls badly gets the same injuries. Not everybody who worked with lepers got leprosy, heck there have even been a few people who survived ebola outbreaks unscathed. The human body is composed of billions of cells and components, and there's always going to be some variability in a population of several billion people made up of so many components.
Precisely. Which is why it irks me immensely, that the vaccine refuseniks cite the vaccine as being the potential problem rather than the myriad different reactions of the body - including none. I was told in no u certain terms that no one k own the affect on children’s bodies (no vaccines whilst pregnant). Had I not been so taken aback by their ignorance and slow in responding, I would have said that by the time If and ANY affects were felt, it would be impossible to distinguish that between the vaccine and lifestyle/genetics/etc.

Ah yes, they say, what about Thalidomide. 🙄 Thalidomide was a specific TREATMENT for extreme morning sickness, not a Vaccine. They forget I’m of an age to remember what happened, not read it off some random website.......
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Surely these instances of people not testing positive when partner has it are due to the effects of a vaccine meaning the viral load isn’t detectable in a test.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

C.A.Versham wrote: 16 Jan 2022 11:59 Perhaps after they have finished podcasting and appearing on the seemingly endless news items about COVID the medical researchers will look more thoroughly at why some people catch it and others in the same household don't.
I think some work is taking place to study this to determine whether there is something in the genetic makeup of individuals that provides some immunity.
Here is a reference that came to my email today

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 120742.htm
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

THC wrote: 16 Jan 2022 19:26Surely these instances of people not testing positive when partner has it are due to the effects of a vaccine meaning the viral load isn’t detectable in a test.
Probably the most likely explanation, but there are other possible reasons.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

I think it fair to say that after last night's car crash interview with Sky's 'Death' Rigby, Boris is toast. So the question now is who replaces him.

Sunak and Truss are the obvious front runners, although there is talk of Penny Mourdant as a dark horse candidate. She certainly ticks the various boxes i.e. very electable, hard core military, hard core Brexit and popular with 'Red Wall' MPs. Will be interesting to see if she actually wants the job though.
'Let's Go Brandon'
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

It’s quite interesting how these votes of no confidence are structured. In my understanding, which is minimal, it takes 54 people to write letters saying about the vote. Those people are anonymous (handy) and don’t have to reveal who they are. At the moment, they think about 20 MPs, elected post 2019, are likely to lodge letters. It’s quite a good way to both make mischief, and put a shot across someone’s bows, as they may never reach the 54 required, retain their anonymity, and can withdraw the letter at any time.

I guess it’s also a way of testing the waters with regards to likely candidates and the potential support those candidates might have. Blimey, this is more convoluted than any Tinker Tailor plot!
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Didn't Beth Rigby break Covid lockdown rules?
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

If the letters were anonymous they would not know that they are not all from the same person so I assume they are guaranteed anonymity. Given how Westminster seems to leak like a sieve and the propensity for MPs to rush to Twitter and be regarded as 'informed sources' I'm surprised that the names don't surface.

Anyone listen to More or Less on Radio 4 this morning? Highlight of my listening week as it debunks many of the headline grabbing statistics floating around. They completely demolished the survey that found that 10% of the population plan to write a podcast this year. Oddly the survey was commissioned by a company supporting podcasters.
Last edited by C.A.Versham on 19 Jan 2022 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 19 Jan 2022 10:29 Didn't Beth Rigby break Covid lockdown rules?
Yep, suspended by Sky for three months for her troubles.
'Let's Go Brandon'
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Won't anybody think of poor Carrie??!!

She spent thousands on redecorating and she may have to move out!
Oh! The Humanity!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 19 Jan 2022 10:29Didn't Beth Rigby break Covid lockdown rules?
And your point is?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Give me a bucket of magnolia and I’ll be thrilled to fix it for the next resident 🙂

Return to “from and to our Councillors, MPs and political representatives”