COVID-19: The Politics

it's about what it says on the tin .......

If you're a councillor or MP and would like a link to your website or blog, then email or PM me with the details.
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

COVID-19: The Politics

Post by Lizzy33 »

Thread to discuss the politics of the pandemic.

One thing that surprised me is despite countries (including the home nations) appearing to show a united front pre-covid, this pandemic shows how the countries want to work by themselves. I won't be surprised if there's a united Ireland and Independent Scotland within a decade.

What's also interesting is how the Tories are so scared of offending their big financial backers that they won't increase in there taxes to help fund this.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Re: COVID-19: The Politics

Post by Frank Blank »

As it continues to lash out because of its vaccine distribution shit show, it would appear the EU has scored yet another own goal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55865539
'Let's Go Brandon'
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

They’re a lot of bullies throwing their weight around, it makes me even more glad that we’ve got out.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

lizwing wrote: 30 Jan 2021 09:23 They’re a lot of bullies throwing their weight around, it makes me even more glad that we’ve got out.
Nah, nah ,nana nah. :banghead:
Don't want to play :roflol3:
For Petes sake grow up :whistle1:
I did it my way.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

An excellent piece detailing how the EU ended up like it has, throwing its toys out of the pram.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ccine-race
'Let's Go Brandon'
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Disputes between neighbours are inevitable and happen at all sorts of levels. Friends have a dispute with a neighbour over their cats. Reading has a long-term dispute with Oxfordshire over a third bridge. Now the UK has a dispute with the EU over access to vaccines. These sort of disputes are part of life, and one way or another, most of them end up in a compromise that is uncomfortable to both sides.

The real question is how you choose to handle such issues. You can either set up mechanisms to make sure such disputes stay civilised. Or you can tool up and go for your neighbour's jugular. Either way you will still probably end up with the uncomfortable compromise, but the amount of damage done on the way is different.

For better or worse, after nearly 50 years of relative success in using the first of these approaches in our relations with our nearest national neighbours, the UK has unilaterally decided to go for the latter approach. It is therefore inevitable that sabres are being wrattled on both sides, and if one doesn't back down, worse may happen. And of course this is just one of many such disputes brewing.

If you didn't vote for this, weep. If you did, try to enjoy it as best you can. You may not have realised it was what you were voting for, but we did try to tell you, and I'm sorry if our communication skills were not up to convincing you.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

It’s the EU that’s sabre rattling as far as I can see, they left it to the last minute to place an order for a vaccine which they only approved yesterday and still say doesn’t work very well, we ordered them three months ago and now they want some of ours, well it doesn’t work that way. If the boot was on the other foot, judging by the their bully boy tactics, they wouldn’t consider helping us, they’d make things as difficult as possible and laugh in our faces.
BY Paulo Coelho
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

No point crying about the big bullies in the club we just left. What did you expect, that they'd come round with a tray of cakes?
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

No not at all, we always knew how unpleasant they’d be if we left their club, this just proves it.
BY Paulo Coelho
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

KeithW wrote: 30 Jan 2021 15:43 No point crying about the big bullies in the club we just left. What did you expect, that they'd come round with a tray of cakes?
I think you'll find it's 'Al Capone' von de Leyen doing most of the moaning. What better way to deflect from your own shortcomings by pointing the finger of blame at others.
'Let's Go Brandon'
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Gove is quoted as saying, "Last night the Prime Minister talked to President von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission, and made clear that we need to have the contracts that have been entered into honoured properly". Somewhat ironical that only a few months ago, the Government were threatening to break international law by amending the Withdrawal Agreement. Pots and kettles comes to mind. The EU seem to have recognised their stupidity a lot quicker than Boris did his.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

MickEdge wrote: 30 Jan 2021 17:35 The EU seem to have recognised their stupidity a lot quicker than Boris did his.
How very noble and generous of them. Were I a resident of Northern Ireland I'd almost be weeping with gratitude.

More to the point. Perhaps they might also consider fessing up to the monumental cock-up regarding vaccine procurement. Don't hold hold your breath on that one though.
'Let's Go Brandon'
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Frank Blank wrote: 30 Jan 2021 23:10
MickEdge wrote: 30 Jan 2021 17:35 The EU seem to have recognised their stupidity a lot quicker than Boris did his.
How very noble and generous of them. Were I a resident of Northern Ireland I'd almost be weeping with gratitude.

More to the point. Perhaps they might also consider fessing up to the monumental cock-up regarding vaccine procurement. Don't hold hold your breath on that one though.
Thing is, Frank, you previously promoted the patently fake, and quite obviously nonsensical notion that Joe Biden has dementia. You clearly have some sort of agenda - maybe you're angling for a job on the Express? Who knows. Come clean man.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Frank Blank wrote: 30 Jan 2021 23:10 How very noble and generous of them. Were I a resident of Northern Ireland I'd almost be weeping with gratitude.
Actually, I imagine most of them are just glad they have dodged the bullet. They may be some who feel the need, like you, to stoke up the anger behind their personal agenda, but I suspect they are a small minority.
Frank Blank wrote: 30 Jan 2021 23:10 More to the point. Perhaps they might also consider fessing up to the monumental cock-up regarding vaccine procurement. Don't hold hold your breath on that one though.
I'd caution to wait until the fat lady has sung before making judgements like this. The fact is that our government is making decisions to the best of its (IMHO rather limited, but that is another story) abilities. The EU is doing the same. But neither is the possession of all the facts they need to make the right decision, simply because we (ie. humanity) don't know all those facts yet. We will, eventually, and that will be right time to make those calls.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Looks as if Boris is beginning to reap the 'vaccine dividend'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -the-polls
'Let's Go Brandon'
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

lizwing wrote: 30 Jan 2021 16:23 No not at all, we always knew how unpleasant they’d be if we left their club, this just proves it.
I am only too glad that I live in a State which is in the EU,
This is a real Union which embraces and protects many, near and far rich and poor.
You are welcome to your petty minded, backward looking country forever harking back to some mythical "two world wars and one world cup" mentality.
I did it my way.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

>>>This is a real Union which embraces and protects many, near and far rich and poor.<<

I was and will always be a Remainer, but I think that’s stretching things just a tad 🙄 Or was it meant to be ironic ?

Von Der Leyen is new at the job, and made a mistake....

The French are looking across the channel and saying how dreadful things are here , but just want to stand by and watch. Macron is turning into a De Gaulle, never misses an opportunity to criticise....perhaps he thinks it make him look big. In the meantime my friend in Brittany thinks her partner, older than my OH and with a condition may get his vaccination is a month or two....
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Bentley wrote: 31 Jan 2021 09:56
lizwing wrote: 30 Jan 2021 16:23 No not at all, we always knew how unpleasant they’d be if we left their club, this just proves it.
This is a real Union which embraces and protects many, near and far rich and poor.
You are welcome to your petty minded, backward looking country forever harking back to some mythical "two world wars and one world cup" mentality.
I'm a Remainer as well but I'm not so sure about that as it seemed to be all on their terms and at great expense to the UK, both financially and with restrictions it imposed?

It presumably suited you to live here for a while though before returning 'back home' to Ireland? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Nice racist attitude there from over the water.

I think youlll find, that the UK, as well as many other countries, have made a commitment to the WHO to help give jabs to people across the globe.

First, we have to have the vaccines that we have ordered and paid for, delivered. Then we must vaccinate the population in accordance to levels of vulnerability. I believe the UK will honour its pledge -as will other countries - to provide vaccine to other countries that cannot afford, or are less able to afford, to buy their own.

It’s not the UKs responsibility that the EU didn’t or couldn’t get its act together. This move by the EU was a foot stamping exercise and nothing more. They tried to guilt trip and/or bully the UK into this, and ended up with oeufs on their visages. Anything to detract from their abysmal efforts at rolling out their own vaccine programme,
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I would agree that the EU , as presented here are attempting to b every unreasonable. but perhaps they have got this from their experiences of dealing with Boris's fantasies , lies, awkwardness, deceit and self-promotion
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

:roflol3: "Nice racist attitude there from over the water" :roflol3:
What race and what water?
I lived for seventy years in England, nearly eight in Germany, and now nearly eighteen in Ireland, although born in India.
Interesting ,at least to me, is my DNA - 65% England and NW Europe, 18% Scotland, 10% Wales, 4% Ireland and 2% Germany.
AND I AM a BLOODY RACIST???
Talk about stupidity :goodposting:
I did it my way.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I think some views can seem racist even if the person isn’t. At the very least they’re insulting.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

lizwing wrote: 31 Jan 2021 13:04 I think some views can seem racist even if the person isn’t. At the very least they’re insulting.
The truth hurts and thats the truth.
I did it my way.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Depends on how you perceive the truth doesn’t it. It’s not for you to tell anyone how to perceive it. I’d have thought in your vast travels, you’d have known that. As much as you might like it impose your view and make a comment that others find to be an offensive comment, others have the right to object to it. So don’t be surprised when they call you out on it.

The EU was wrong to knee jerk into this one. Not only the UK thinks that either. They’ve made a fool of themselves - them - no one else is responsible for their actions. Could have negotiated, could have gone the diplomatic route. Didn’t.

I think I’ll award myself a :goodposting: for that 😊
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Exactly what truth are you referring to Bentley?
BY Paulo Coelho
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’m sure all of us have very mixed dna that doesn’t stop some of us being racists.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

And i will award my self :help3: for being racist.
Now answer the question. :banghead:
I did it my way.
Bentley
Super Contributor

Post by Bentley »

lizwing wrote: 31 Jan 2021 13:29 Exactly what truth are you referring to Bentley?
Two world wars and one world cup.
I did it my way.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

I believe the correct response to that is......

Doo dah, doo dah. :roflol3:
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

We did win two world wars and we did win a World Cup what’s wrong with that? What question? The leave campaign also won the referendum but if they hadn’t I don’t think we would still be so bitter we’d just have got on with it.
BY Paulo Coelho
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Surely that the UK "won the world cup" ONCE should be considered of any importance shows how superficial and childish are the views of many of those who voted to leave and infest government
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Wasn’t us that brought up the world war/cup on this thread MJ. I’ve zero interest in any sport, which I think is well known. Citing two world cups was a poor argument in the first place - two world wars yes we did. Bleddy good job we won them as well, otherwise we’d not have the freedoms we do today.
Frank Blank
Super Contributor

Post by Frank Blank »

Bentley wrote: 31 Jan 2021 09:56
A shame that the Commission didn't even have the decency to inform your government in advance that it was invoking Article 16 as an emergency measure.
'Let's Go Brandon'
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Bentley wrote: 31 Jan 2021 13:36
Two world wars and one world cup.
As the German comedian Henning Wehn said, "People say to me, 'Two world wars and one world cup'. I say, third time lucky!"
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

And they’re not joking !
BY Paulo Coelho

Return to “from and to our Councillors, MPs and political representatives”