The Black Boy II

General chat forum
Pooneil

Re: The Black Boy II

Post by Pooneil »

Coat-of-arms - the good old heraldic shield and emblems.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:40 Coat-of-arms - the good old heraldic shield and emblems.
Ah- so what Liz is saying is that the pub shiuld show the ‘imagined’ Earl’s Arms and be displayed in the signage?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:44
Pooneil wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:40 Coat-of-arms - the good old heraldic shield and emblems.
Ah- so what Liz is saying is that the pub shiuld show the ‘imagined’ Earl’s Arms and should be displayed in the signage?
Edit - well yes, sort of http://www.berkshirehistory.com/villages/shinfield.html - from the 4th paragraph onwards...
There’s still a Ducketts Lane just before the big roundabout - so just maybe(!) it could be him.

Earl,of Fingal coat of arms https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingal
Oh look, it’s got blackbirds on it!
The Motto(s): Flúirse Talaimh is Mara (Irish)
"Abundance of Land and Sea"
- yes well that’s very appropriate isn’t it !
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:55
Ah- so what Liz is saying is that the pub should display the ‘imagined’ Earl’s Arms should be displayed in the signage?
Edit - well yes, sort of http://www.berkshirehistory.com/villages/shinfield.html - from the 4th paragraph onwards...
There’s still a Ducketts Lane just before the big roundabout - so just maybe(!) it could be him.

Earl,of Finagal(l) coat of arms https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingal
That’s no blackbird, it's a raven 😁 http://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/Fingal
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 11 Feb 2021 21:07
piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:55

Ah- so what Liz is saying is that the pub should display the ‘imagined’ Earl’s Arms should be displayed in the signage?
That’s no blackbird, that's a raven 😄 http://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/Fingal

I just said it was black bird not which one! (should have put a space between the words...
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2021 21:08
Pooneil wrote: 11 Feb 2021 21:07
piwacket wrote: 11 Feb 2021 20:55 That’s no blackbird, that's a raven 😄 http://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/Fingal

I just said it was black bird not which one! (should have put a space between the words...
At the risk of being po-faced about it, there is no longstanding history of either "blackbird" or "black bird" being a term of racist abuse, unlike "black boy". (In fact McCartney wrote the Beatles song of the former name to highlight racial tensions in the American South).
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Pooneil wrote: 11 Feb 2021 21:19 At the risk of being po-faced about it, there is no longstanding history of either "blackbird" or "black bird" being a term of racist abuse, unlike "black boy". (In fact McCartney wrote the Beatles song of the former name to highlight racial tensions in the American South).
Which is more or less what I said at the beginning of this topic - 4th post - so Black Horse, as it is now displayed, would have been the answer. :shrug1:
But probably not seen as being pro-active enough !
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Agreed on that; it's bloody daft. The sign shows a horse, the historical record suggests it's related to blacksmithery - so either The Black Horse or The Blacksmith's Arms would have been fine.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I meant that usually if an inn was named The Something Arms it was on the land of a nobleman, or named after him for a reason, that’s what I always thought any way.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 11 Feb 2021 22:07 I meant that usually if an inn was named The Something Arms it was on the land of a nobleman, or named after him for a reason, that’s what I always thought any way.
Well it sort of is - just not the Earl,of Shinfield.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

lizwing wrote: 11 Feb 2021 22:07 I meant that usually if an inn was named The Something Arms it was on the land of a nobleman, or named after him for a reason, that’s what I always thought any way.
I don't think that's necessarily right. 'Arms' often refers to a trade as in Engineers, Anglers, Plasterers, Carpenters, to name but four vanished Reading pubs. The 'arms' would often be those associated with a guild.

But it still makes the Shinfield Arms sort of wrong. I'm Upin Arms about it.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The use of ‘Arms’ in a pub name comes from three (possible) c backgrounds
Yes Keith is correct as mostly following a local ‘trade’ name but before that it was based on heraldic coats of arms, usually noticeable by following a person or areas name
However according to some researchers it can also be linked with chartable background as a corruption on the word ‘Alms’ so for example a pub near Alms Houses may be given a name which reflects on that
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I see the decision has been made.............
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... HCSfBm1DWs
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OM - that’s what the last few posts were about.
KeithW wrote: 11 Feb 2021 16:44 The Shinfield Arms according to the local rag.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

"Pub changes name; racism doesn't disappear" is the headline we won't see.

Too much of a food pub these days for me, very few places to sit inside if not eating their expensive food.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

THC wrote: 12 Feb 2021 16:46 "Pub changes name; racism doesn't disappear" is the headline we won't see.
"Pub changes name - tiny step in the right direction" would be more accurate, but again, not a headline.

Daily Mail, Monday : "Pub name change causes cancer!"

Daily Mail, Tuesday : "Pub name change cures cancer!"
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

At the risk of being po-faced about it, there is no longstanding history of either "blackbird" or "black bird" being a term of racist abuse ...
Not sure about that. Blackbirding is certainly a term I have heard used for the process of enslavement, or similar. I think mostly used in the context of Australia using dubiously legal practices to recruit Pacific Islanders to work on plantations, as in the link below, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it used in the context of the people in Africa who did the actual enslavement and shipping of slaves to North America and the Caribbean.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-17/ ... rs/8860754
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I see Priti Patel disagrees with ‘taking the knee’....
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Mayfield wrote: 12 Feb 2021 18:47I see Priti Patel disagrees with ‘taking the knee’....
I usually find that on any vaguely contentious view, the quickest way to work out my position is to assume the opposite of PP's. (one glaring exception being that she was in favour of much tighter covid-prevention restrictions on incoming air passengers from the start, unlike BoJo the Dithersome.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

chris_j_wood wrote: 12 Feb 2021 17:44
At the risk of being po-faced about it, there is no longstanding history of either "blackbird" or "black bird" being a term of racist abuse ...
Not sure about that. Blackbirding is certainly a term I have heard used for the process of enslavement, or similar. I think mostly used in the context of Australia using dubiously legal practices to recruit Pacific Islanders to work on plantations, as in the link below, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it used in the context of the people in Africa who did the actual enslavement and shipping of slaves to North America and the Caribbean.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-17/ ... rs/8860754
I indeed bow to your superior knowledge; it does primarily seem to be a term used for abuse of Pacific Islanders, which is perhaps why I was unaware of it, not being a geography/history that I've done much reading about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbirding
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Did you read that Pi ?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 12 Feb 2021 22:07 Did you read that Pi ?
Yes - why?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I got a bit lost when he talked about golliwogs when some one said they remembered a chimney sweep being in the sign......
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 12 Feb 2021 22:41 I got a bit lost when he talked about golliwogs when some one said they remembered a chimney sweep being in the sign......
I think he was grasping at straws :? lost in his rhetoric, in condemning people who were trying to find some logic in changing the name. Golliwogs of course have been condemned for years now. I’ve still got mine - well my son’s actually bought when he was a toddler. I certainly never associated it with active racism. As a little child I also had a black doll (called Topsy) - it was a Doll, and that’s it. In fact when visiting a craft fair in the Cotswolds a year or two ago, there was a Golliwog - and I bought it, with intentions of giving it my grand-daughter, but thought better of it as I decided it may cause her, or my son, problems with other parents -so he sits with the original one :)
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I may have said this before. (It's me age you know.)

At one time, I guess about 1980, the Black Boy had a horrible wooden statuette inside depicting the worst kind of negro charicature you could imagine. A Black Boy of course. Even in those days, it was disgusting, and said a lot about the landlords and their clientele. Many a snigger, finish the rhyme yourself.

Let's get rid of this filth. The Shinfield Arms is a poor and unimaginitive choice, IMO, but better that what was.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I have a black teddy bear which was bought for our son, does this make me a racist?
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

lizwing wrote: 13 Feb 2021 09:42 I have a black teddy bear which was bought for our son, does this make me a racist?
I'm sure that many black kids had white dolls or Action Men etc Liz so I wouldn't worry too much! :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I actually couldn’t care less Pete😊 I’m going to spend the day thinking of things that I can be offended by on behalf of someone else who wasn’t aware they should be offended.
BY Paulo Coelho
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

lizwing wrote: 13 Feb 2021 09:42 I have a black teddy bear which was bought for our son, does this make me a racist?
I don't understand why you would write that, it's nonsensical.

The statuette was a couple or three feet tall from memory, I only saw it once. It wasn't a mantlepiece ornament. I'm sure you would find it offensive.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

KeithW wrote: 13 Feb 2021 11:11
I don't understand why you would write that, it's nonsensical.

The statuette was a couple or three feet tall from memory, I only saw it once. It wasn't a mantlepiece ornament. I'm sure you would find it offensive.
I remember seeing them outside tobacconists - maybe in Reading, maybe elsewhere - from recollection I seem to remember it being of a native American with head-dress?? In my innocent naivety I think I probably just thought it was something that tobacconists used, but do remember wondering what the connection was? - a bit like the striped pole above a barbers (I then learned what that meant) or the 3 balls outside a pawn shop.... I may well have seen the one at The Black Boy too and again that it was ‘odd’ - but nothing more.... especially as by that time I’d have associated it with a tobacconist.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar_store_Indian
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I merely meant that these days anything with black in the name seems to be offensive to somebody. Which is difficult for us as we live on the corner of Blacksmith’s Lane.
BY Paulo Coelho
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

lizwing wrote: 13 Feb 2021 12:19 I merely meant that these days anything with black in the name seems to be offensive to somebody. Which is difficult for us as we live on the corner of Blacksmith’s Lane.
Have you ever really come across anyone who finds "Blacksmith's Lane" offensive?
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Will they be likewise changing the name of the roundabout, then?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 13 Feb 2021 15:32 Will they be likewise changing the name of the roundabout, then?
Well the bus in Woodley still shows The Thatchers, despite the pub changing its name some years ago to The Waterside ... old local names stick fast :whistle1:

Return to “Chatty Person”