Any ideas what this is?

General chat forum
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Any ideas what this is?

Post by Ollycat »

The great turn out from the attic of ex-GPO equipment continues. Any ideas what this is? Dad was GPO/BT so a wild guess is line testing equipment?
20201127_114820.pdf
(411.11 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Pooneil

Re: Any ideas what this is?

Post by Pooneil »

Does that badge on the top to the left of the handle give any clues?
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

20201127_114843.pdf
(605.42 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Possibly not? Unless it was made by the coachworks company to customer specification?
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

Telephone line voltage is 50v, so this looks to be a home made or prototype line voltage and current tester. Post Office engineers in the past often used to knock up their own equipment using the facilities in the GPO workshops.

One chap I knew made an electronic rev counter for my car. He also made a battery powered pocket size box, which was wired into his phone at home. When any member of his family rang home from a call box, he was able to pass a current back down the line to hold a relay open in the phone box so that no money was required.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Ollycat wrote: 27 Nov 2020 12:38 20201127_114843.pdf

Possibly not? Unless it was made by the coachworks company to customer specification?
Duple were very well known coachbuilders who stopped trading in 1989. The badge though looks as if it was added as decoration. Definitely looks home made as the switches do not match and the labels look as if they were stamped out on a Dymo machine. An interesting item.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 27 Nov 2020 13:09 .................... He also made a battery powered pocket size box, which was wired into his phone at home. When any member of his family rang home from a call box, he was able to pass a current back down the line to hold a relay open in the phone box so that no money was required.
BT had the same for testing lines etc – my brother had one when he worked for them so charge went to BT
He could also ring any number and link to that with the test box, and then use that number to make a call elsewhere - it’s the same technology ‘unscrupulous’ people used, to make little boxes that would do eth same with a random number, first the random number owner knew it had happened was when their bill came through width horrendously high charges for ringing Africa or similar countries……………
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

OLDMAN wrote: 30 Nov 2020 10:40
Bam wrote: 27 Nov 2020 13:09 .................... He also made a battery powered pocket size box, which was wired into his phone at home. When any member of his family rang home from a call box, he was able to pass a current back down the line to hold a relay open in the phone box so that no money was required.
BT had the same for testing lines etc – my brother had one when he worked for them so charge went to BT
He could also ring any number and link to that with the test box, and then use that number to make a call elsewhere - it’s the same technology ‘unscrupulous’ people used, to make little boxes that would do eth same with a random number, first the random number owner knew it had happened was when their bill came through width horrendously high charges for ringing Africa or similar countries……………
Many years ago, we had a phone bill with a single several hours long reverse charge call to the Carribean costing £299. It was on a Saturday morning, and I'm sure I would have noticed someone on the phone in the hallway in our small terrace - shows you how long ago, a phone mounted on a wall. It took months before BT removed the charge, I just paid the bills minus that amount in the meantime.

Return to “Chatty Person”