iPad/excel help ?

General chat forum
Mayfield

iPad/excel help ?

Post by Mayfield »

Can anyone help please ?

I’ve ‘inherited’ a iPad Air which has a 12.9 screen. But this means Microsoft consider it for office use and don’t allow free use of Excel which I use once a year to send bank info to our accountant ...

I wasted several hours yesterday discovering it doesn’t work with google docs or Numbers ( it will down load but is then grey’ d out In Numbers )

I don’t really want to pay the subscription for Excel and although there’s a few trial month I suspect it’s not that user friendly to stop

Any solutions would be gratefully received , pretty please 🙂
dave m
Super Contributor

Re: iPad/excel help ?

Post by dave m »

Open office?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 24 Oct 2020 11:59 Any solutions would be gratefully received , pretty please 🙂
Well, no. Other than asking if it’s been taken back to factory settings? and start afresh. .... or go to the Apple shop in the Oracle. I have found there’s various help sites on Google, which I look for on my laptop and then apply them to the iPad.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I have the reader but OO isn’t listed as an option....and it needs to be in an excel type format
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I don't know if it's an option for an iPad, but LibreOffice on a PC is better at handling Excel stuff than Open Office.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

KeithW wrote: 24 Oct 2020 14:29 I don't know if it's an option for an iPad, but LibreOffice on a PC is better at handling Excel stuff than Open Office.
It's available in the Apple App Store on my iPad. "Office Suite & PDF editor". You can upgrade to a paid for "premium" version.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

In the end I upgraded and tried again and I still can’t get it to work as there’s no Export tab, only download so I’ll have to speak to the bank tech dept on Monday.
I can save it, but not in an excel file format ....

Very frustrating...there must be something simple I’m missing...😟

Thanks for your suggestions...I’ll let you know how I get on 🙂
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I may be making some progress.....it occurred to me that I can’t do what I want to it the app and needed to log in ‘the old’ way.....Managed to down load a file in Excel but can’t manipulate it.....perhaps inspiration will dawn tomorrow...🙄
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Is it in protected / read only mode as it came from email?
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

It’s certainly read only at present...it says to copy it into an Excel doc To manipulate it which I’ve tried but quite honestly I feel as if I’ve been looking at this for hours and my clarity of thought is slipping ...Better to look again when I’m fresher
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

What is the file extension for the file? .xlsx is the current default. Is it possible to use a CSV format (comma separated data)? CSVs are more widely compatible between apps.

Return to “Chatty Person”