What are they thinking of?

if it's about getting around Reading by car, cycle or foot, post it here .....
buseng
Super Contributor

What are they thinking of?

Post by buseng »

Whoever sanctions this must have rocking horse brains. A certain person's name has already been mentioned. A very busy road made even smaller.
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... fM7MsTG-e8
Stewart
Super Contributor

Re: What are they thinking of?

Post by Stewart »

Two cars can pass as existing. Do not see the problem?
Stewart
"Money isn't the most important thing in life. But it's up there with oxygen"
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I read this yesterday, and had a good look last night
First idea only changes the pavement which is quite wide there so not as bad as no effect to the road
But the second one does make the road narrower, but it also mention a bus interchange and doesn’t show the stops in the image so would imagine they will be moved to where it stays wider so can’t see a problem with that

Only real problem is with the narrowed version as it also seems to make the traffic change which side of road to drive on…………………………..!
RWS.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

I like the rails on top. Presumably so drunks and kids can't easily fall off when hooning about.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

D5equj5 wrote: 21 Oct 2020 08:56 I like the rails on top. Presumably so drunks and kids can't easily fall off when hooning about.
Ha! That reminds me of a problem many years back with a bus shelter not far from us that drunks etc used to climb on, then urinate off it and throw stuff into people’s gardens from it
Some kind soul thought maybe they needed a drink so left a load of bottles on top, unfortunately they then got broken at the same time :whistle1:
They said there was a bit of blood / scattered glass about the next day, and no-one ever climbed on it again….and no-one reported it to the police etc!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

I don't see a problem at all. I'm surprised that people are not pleased that there will be some investment for a rather bleak and unwelcoming station. Installing ticket gates should help reduce some of the problems of antisocial behaviour on the platforms.
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Not sure I care for the corrugated container look, but having buses close to the station is a novelty for Reading.
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

MickEdge wrote: 21 Oct 2020 11:00 Not sure I care for the corrugated container look, but having buses close to the station is a novelty for Reading.
Really?. The 3, 8, 21 and 26, are about the same distance from the main Reading station as is the "interchange" proposed is on the plans here
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Has anybody actually found the plans?. I've seen RBC's facebook post and linked news article, and the Chronic's article, but none of those show actual plans, as opposed to dubious artists representations. If you have, could you point me. Thanks.
Avis
Super Contributor

Post by Avis »

chris_j_wood wrote: 21 Oct 2020 16:18 Has anybody actually found the plans?. I've seen RBC's facebook post and linked news article, and the Chronic's article, but none of those show actual plans, as opposed to dubious artists representations. If you have, could you point me. Thanks.
http://planning.reading.gov.uk/fastweb_ ... &Postcode=
also
http://documents.reading.gov.uk/AnitePu ... 463873.pdf
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Thanks. I see the 'lift provision' is marked 'future', which I take to mean after the rest is built, which seems odd.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 21 Oct 2020 08:47 I read this yesterday, and had a good look last night
First idea only changes the pavement which is quite wide there so not as bad as no effect to the road
But the second one does make the road narrower, but it also mention a bus interchange and doesn’t show the stops in the image so would imagine they will be moved to where it stays wider so can’t see a problem with that

Only real problem is with the narrowed version as it also seems to make the traffic change which side of road to drive on…………………………..!
RWS.jpg
The right way round!
Attachments
0_image009.jpg
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Make you wonder if they read this forum!

It was the wrong way round yesterday as I took a screen shot to get it
I guessed they had cocked it up and had it the wrong way round, but it shows the incompetence of the reporting / editing..................
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

I'm sure it complies with whatever rules, but the footway looks quite narrow for people to pass, especially with buggys or mobilty scooters.

Maybe it would be better to reduce the road traffic through there to one lane with lights controlling the direction, but I know little of that end of town. Perhaps a more local person would care to comment? :whistle1:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I think the ‘artistic renders’ are deceiving - the posted plans on the website show the path to by full double width past this

And lights would only add to the already bad congestion along that stretch of road
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

It's certainly not popular on Reading facebook pages! Comments along the lines of: 'So West Reading gets a portakabin' and 'the footpath will be narrower for wheelchairs etc' and 'an already busy road will be restricted even more' and 'no mention of lifts for disabled access'. Not a single postive coment that I could see? :whistle1: Do enough folk use the station to warrant this I wonder, I suppose that they must otherwise why bother?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Problem is people just look at those images then give knee jerk reactions
I’ve been through the proposals / plans specify the Design and Access Statement which shows they have covered for disabled / wheelchairs / buggies with improvement to the ramp, plus a designated area for a fit to possibly be fitted later on (I guess they will review that to see if required)
As mentioned before the plans show the pavement to be standard double person width
Although I would agree it does look like a bunch of porta-cabins, and as for have a flat accessible roof……………

So far there have only been 2 objections on the planning site, so if so many against it, I wonder why haven’t had more?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:52 Problem is people just look at those images then give knee jerk reactions
I’ve been through the proposals / plans specify the Design and Access Statement which shows they have covered for disabled / wheelchairs / buggies with improvement to the ramp, plus a designated area for a fit to possibly be fitted later on (I guess they will review that to see if required)
As mentioned before the plans show the pavement to be standard double person width
Although I would agree it does look like a bunch of porta-cabins, and as for have a flat accessible roof……………

So far there have only been 2 objections on the planning site, so if so many against it, I wonder why haven’t had more?
Just making their feelings known I guess. Like me it probably doesn't affect them personally so no point objecting to something you will probably never use anyway? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

True
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

windrush wrote: 22 Oct 2020 11:57
Just making their feelings known I guess. Like me it probably doesn't affect them personally so no point objecting to something you will probably never use anyway? :?

Pete.
I went to Reading West just once, return from Reading General to look at the recent railway works. I know how to live.

I see there is a small number of direct trains from there to Paddington in the morning, and presumably back in the evening.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 10:04 Make you wonder if they read this forum!

I guessed they had cocked it up and had it the wrong way round, but it shows the incompetence of the reporting / editing..................
I flipped the above picture around myself (using "Paint") & posted it.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

TBH although I know that side of town very well as my mother’s family lived there for many years, we still have family friends there, OH used to work in the Spread Eagle for a few years, and we have our own friends in the area but…………….I have never used nor been on Reading West station, nor Tilehurst station for that matter
Been through them both a few times though
But a few years back I knew a few people who travelled to London on a daily basis and their ’trick’ was to stay on the 17 down to RW station as it meant they could get a seat, which was nigh on impossible at Reading General – and they reckon it got quite busy there due to that
Not sure if possible these days as not sure which trains stop there
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

buseng wrote: 22 Oct 2020 14:03
OLDMAN wrote: 22 Oct 2020 10:04 Make you wonder if they read this forum!

I flipped the above picture around myself (using "Paint") & posted it.
Its been mentioned a lot on FB
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

My main concerns are twofold:
  • The width of the pavement
  • The absence of lifts or other 'flat access' to the platforms
Even though, as Oldman says above, the plans show the pavement to be standard double person width, that basically means a pavement just wide enough for two people to pass shoulder to shoulder. Insufficient room for cyclists (maybe no bad thing) or buggies to pass a pedestrian, let alone each other. That is very narrow compared to most pavements, including those elsewhere on the Oxford Road. And to make matters worse, the station entrance/exit opens off that very narrowest bit. Imagine the situation. A train has just arrived in the morning peak and a dozen or two people are trying to leave the station. At the same time a mother and buggy are trying to proceed along the pavement to the west, and a kid on a bike is trying to go the other way.

At the moment the southbound platform is disabled accessible from the Tilehurst Road, but very definitely not from the Oxford Road. The northbound platform is not disabled accessible at all, because there are steps in the middle of the "ramp" from Oxford Road. Unlike Oldman, I can see no intent in the plans to change any of that. And the accessible toilet is, bizarrely, only disabled accessible to people in possession of train tickets (because it is inside the barrier line) but not travelling or intending to travel by train (because there is no disabled access between the toilet and platform). So an utter waste of money.

Given the above, I don't actually see any great benefit to the travelling public from this building, and the introduction of some significant disbenefit to the local non-travelling public. I suspect it is purely there to improve staff comfort and revenue protection. I think the planning committee should tell GWR to go back and think again about how to provide some benefit to their passengers and neighbours.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Having been past, on foot and by car, I took a look on street view.

Although it would possibly double the ticket staff needed, you could actually slide a narrow building up the footpath near McD's - as there's a fair chunk of unused shrubbery beside the bridge. I doubt that removal would cause the track to slide. (on street view there's a lady with small child there)
You could build a narrow building that acts as both a ticket office and barrier - ditto the other side

If necessary you could redesign the layout and build a track bridge to force pedestrians over to one platform side or fence off part of the footpath under the Oxford rd bridge in a similar way to the old subway by Reading General.

Ticket holders only could access the other side of the tracks by the roadway footpath, but not leave the new perimeter.

The path on the other side is massive - the road could easily shift 10 feet?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Looks less like a shipping container but it's a shame they could not use the land behind it, removing some of the embankment, strengthening it with a concrete wall then building an access tower with a lift to the track height. It's the sort of thing they do all the time on those TV superbuild programmes.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Still grim. Why didn’t they build it at track level again? Seems odd to have it so disconnected from the actual railway. Wasn’t there room?
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Dec 2020 13:38Still grim. Why didn’t they build it at track level again? Seems odd to have it so disconnected from the actual railway. Wasn’t there room?
Probably not; from my memory of occasional use and slightly more frequent passing through, at track level there's just a narrowish platform on both sides, with no real other room.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

I wonder where they will move the bus stop to. Quite a lot of use is made of it for access to McDonalds (UGH) and Lidl
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

It just seems overly long? Half that length, with a bank of ticket machines on one side, maybe a window sales, and an escalator would have been better surely? Oh wait, they have to get back down again as well, so another escalator. They’re pretty long anyway aren’t they.

As you were 😊
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

Is there still an entrance on the Tilehurst Road, but I can't recall a ticket office there, so presumably there will still have to be ticket machines and barriers at platform level.
Jude
Super Contributor

Post by Jude »

C.A.Versham wrote: 05 Dec 2020 12:53 Looks less like a shipping container but it's a shame they could not use the land behind it, removing some of the embankment, strengthening it with a concrete wall then building an access tower with a lift to the track height. It's the sort of thing they do all the time on those TV superbuild programmes.
Very good idea, but may be difficult to keep trains running during what may need to be a longish construction period. Quite a busy route, with considerable north-south and east-west freight which would need diverting to other already busy routes, aswell as all the passenger stuff.
spectrum64
Super Contributor

Post by spectrum64 »

Jude wrote: 06 Dec 2020 02:42
C.A.Versham wrote: 05 Dec 2020 12:53 Looks less like a shipping container but it's a shame they could not use the land behind it, removing some of the embankment, strengthening it with a concrete wall then building an access tower with a lift to the track height. It's the sort of thing they do all the time on those TV superbuild programmes.
Very good idea, but may be difficult to keep trains running during what may need to be a longish construction period. Quite a busy route, with considerable north-south and east-west freight which would need diverting to other already busy routes, aswell as all the passenger stuff.
It would be extremely expensive and would probably involve closing half of the road as a works site. If you cut back very far it would undermine the bridge support and involve replacing the bridge as well with a complete road and rail closure.
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

I was only thinking of the area behind where the hoarding is but I'm no civil engineer.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.

Return to “Transport issues in Reading”