Reading’s roads....

General chat forum
piwacket

Reading’s roads....

Post by piwacket »

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... n-18868140

So what’s to do? The council has for years tried to make life as difficult as possible for car drivers (IMO)... but even some 30/40 years ago, a friend who was a heavy goods driver said when he met others in the Transport Cafes wherever would comment, “Reading? Corr! I try to avoid it if I can, b....dy awful place to get round” - so it’s nothing new. Just made worse by a combination of the success of the town in attracting more residents + its the place to Shop (?] + poor highways planning.

... and yes it’s maybe as bad in other towns, although the article infers few are as bad.

Personally I’ve always felt that turning what was essentially a ‘Market’ town, with inner town narrow streets, into a Metropolis, hasn’t helped, despite wholesale demolition of much of the heart of the town and the abandonment of a Ring Road was a bad move.

?????
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Souwester
Super Contributor

Re: Reading’s roads....

Post by Souwester »

I'm lucky that I rarely have to venture out into Reading traffic during peak periods, so don't often suffer the alleged traffic jams, other than slow eastbound traffic on King's Road towards cemetery junction.

There are a couple of hairy junctions though, in addition to those mentioned in the article. First, coming on the IDR westwards from Queen's Road there are two lanes approaching the traffic lights with two lanes bearing off to the left and two lanes going round to the right. A driver could be forgiven for being in either lane to go in either direction and thus cutting across traffic going in the opposite direction. Also it's not great that as soon as you leave those lights for the A33 there's another set of lights just around the corner which are always at red when you've approached from that direction.

My other hairy junction is eastbound on Queen's Road at the Lyndhurst junction.There are three lanes at the lights but it immediately goes into four lanes on Watlington Street. Most drivers use only the left-most lane for Forbury Road's two lanes but occasionally someone from the middle lane will pull into the Forbury lanes. The fact that those lanes are very narrow makes for some hairy moments.
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

In the article there's a picture of the A4074. I'm not quite sure about those road markings. There are continuous white lines edging a narrow hatched area regularly interspersed with very short unmarked stretches. Now I know you can't cross an solid white line, but why are these not continuous if overtaking is totally prohibited on this stretch of road?
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

It's not a very good article.
Some of the "difficult" junctions just aren't. People shouldn't be driving if they can't cope.
Reading is stuck with what it has and very little will get better. A massive road programme is unlikely to be affordable bothnfinancially or politically. The property that was demolished to build the IDR was not deemed valuable in historic or financial terms, property values and attitudes would mean demolition would be very difficult.

I don't know how busy Caversham bridge is pedestrian wise, but the pavements are quite wide and could possibly be narrowed to widen the existing lanes by 50cm on each side but is it worth it?

Get Reading post a picture of the pink strip on Castle Hill saying that nobody knows the rules.
There are TWO large road signs in the picture telling you what to do
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

I drove down Castle Street a few weekends ago, the first time since I left the town in 1975, and had no problems with the road layout. It was all clear enough to me, wether it actually solves or causes any traffic problems is neither here nor there though! :-) Reading's problem, as everyone knows, is the lack of a by-pass apart from the M4 and basically you are trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. HGV's still need to access the town, for deliveries and of course those involved in construction etc, so a by-pass wouldn't solve that problem. We drove through from Newbury up to the Crematorium recently and I was amazed at just how congested Caversham was nowadays? :?

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:16 In the article there's a picture of the A4074. I'm not quite sure about those road markings. There are continuous white lines edging a narrow hatched area regularly interspersed with very short unmarked stretches. Now I know you can't cross an solid white line, but why are these not continuous if overtaking is totally prohibited on this stretch of road?
I think this is the answer from the HC...

Rule 130
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:12 There are a couple of hairy junctions though, in addition to those mentioned in the article. First, coming on the IDR westwards from Queen's Road there are two lanes approaching the traffic lights with two lanes bearing off to the left and two lanes going round to the right.
That is a weird junction, but it was a much later addition and uses the route of a disused railway line to link up with the A33, so I guess they did what they could with what they had.
Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:12 My other hairy junction is eastbound on Queen's Road at the Lyndhurst junction.There are three lanes at the lights but it immediately goes into four lanes on Watlington Street.
Certainly much horn blowing along there. It might be better if the centre lane on Queens Road were somehow signed as splitting into two on Watlington Street.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Firstly the answer is that they are total utter CRAP! and they will continue to be so as long as the current council are in power, especially with one particular councillor being on the board. Secondly you have got bods digging holes everywhere & soon as they look at a spade, up go the temp lights as a matter of course. TW, as is well known, are by far the worst offenders. It's like a hobby to them. They have just had a 3 way set in Tilehurst Road by Water Road & are having some more a bit further along in the next few days. Today they are setting another set up in Berkeley Ave between Coley Ave & the Bath Road junction. Consider the impact this has on the emergency services trying to go about their work saving lives, it only take one death caused by roadwork delays & I think sparks will fly.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

KeithW wrote: 06 Sep 2020 14:15
Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:12 There are a couple of hairy junctions though, in addition to those mentioned in the article. First, coming on the IDR westwards from Queen's Road there are two lanes approaching the traffic lights with two lanes bearing off to the left and two lanes going round to the right.
That is a weird junction, but it was a much later addition and uses the route of a disused railway line to link up with the A33, so I guess they did what they could with what they had.
Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:12 My other hairy junction is eastbound on Queen's Road at the Lyndhurst junction.There are three lanes at the lights but it immediately goes into four lanes on Watlington Street.
Certainly much horn blowing along there. It might be better if the centre lane on Queens Road were somehow signed as splitting into two on Watlington Street.
That using brains, something nobody at RBC has got.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Souwester wrote: 06 Sep 2020 13:12 I'm lucky that I rarely have to venture out into Reading traffic during peak periods, so don't often suffer the alleged traffic jams, other than slow eastbound traffic on King's Road towards cemetery junction.

There are a couple of hairy junctions though, in addition to those mentioned in the article. First, coming on the IDR westwards from Queen's Road there are two lanes approaching the traffic lights with two lanes bearing off to the left and two lanes going round to the right. A driver could be forgiven for being in either lane to go in either direction and thus cutting across traffic going in the opposite direction. Also it's not great that as soon as you leave those lights for the A33 there's another set of lights just around the corner which are always at red when you've approached from that direction.

My other hairy junction is eastbound on Queen's Road at the Lyndhurst junction.There are three lanes at the lights but it immediately goes into four lanes on Watlington Street. Most drivers use only the left-most lane for Forbury Road's two lanes but occasionally someone from the middle lane will pull into the Forbury lanes. The fact that those lanes are very narrow makes for some hairy moments.
Sorry to say it but this is a good example of not seeing signs - there are ones along the IDR (see image) and there are about 4 or 5 sets showing that you can go right down the A33 from either lane, but only left down A329 from the LH/lane – any9one doing it from the RH/lane and you would be seriously in the wrong

As for the Queens Rd / Watlington St junction then yes totally and utterly agree that is bad - trouble is its presumed by the council etc that as we are all going the same direction it doesn’t need sign’s etc, its only when you get around the corner / onto that bridge that arrows appear on the road, and signs saying which way to go – a bit late once there, it does need something before the bend, and I have told RBC about his on many occasions!
The other bit I don’t like about that corner are the number of vehicles that cut-it or cross lanes going around it – seen a few ‘coming-together's’ from that
IDR.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Souwester
Super Contributor

Post by Souwester »

Oldman I think you may be mistaken. I was referring to westbound IDR from A329 past The Oracle and approaching the junction where it’s left to A33 Basingstoke and right A329 towards station direction. Aerial pics do t show. Any road markings as far as I can see.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Souwester wrote: 07 Sep 2020 13:21 Oldman I think you may be mistaken. I was referring to westbound IDR from A329 past The Oracle and approaching the junction where it’s left to A33 Basingstoke and right A329 towards station direction. Aerial pics do t show. Any road markings as far as I can see.
Ah I know now – that one has arrows on the road, LH/lane shoe straight or turn left – RH/lane has straight only only on the main road and slip road
idr2.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Well the council is doing something about the pink lane down the middle of Castle Hill. It is going to be removed, allowing provision of cycle lanes. I imagine all those people who have spent the last twenty(?) years hating it will be overjoyed by this. :-)

Here are the plans (see page 3)

Of course after the Gosbrook/Westfield debacle they may be tempted to back-pedal on this. Perhaps we could lobby to persuade them to keep going with this scheme that so many of our members have wanted for so long. :whistle1:
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

It isn't just your local councils that make errors of judgement in road layouts etc: a few years ago a local village had the footpaths widened on both sides of the road and traffic calming bollards and refuges put in place to slow traffic down during the tourist season. It took weeks, cost a lot of ££££££ and looked very nice. However it was then discovered that the road was part of the designated route for wide loads through the Peak District so everything was hurredly removed and the road reinstated to how it had been previously! :whistle1: Tony Page was not involved! :wink:

Pete.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

windrush wrote: 07 Sep 2020 15:26 It isn't just your local councils that make errors of judgement in road layouts etc: a few years ago a local village had the footpaths widened on both sides of the road and traffic calming bollards and refuges put in place to slow traffic down during the tourist season. It took weeks, cost a lot of ££££££ and looked very nice. However it was then discovered that the road was part of the designated route for wide loads through the Peak District so everything was hurredly removed and the road reinstated to how it had been previously! :whistle1: Tony Page was not involved! :wink:

Pete.
I think that’s the problem with ‘being local’ but not seeing beyond the end of their nose
In all my working life I’ve had to travel for work and often through / to / from other counties and towns (in 2 jobs I had I would go through 3 differing ones) and can happily say it’s the same / similar problems in the majority of the others

And like you I’ve driven all over the country (and abroad) so have experiences of it all!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Brilliant and inspired coordination between the Highways Agency and Reading Borough Council tonight.

The M4 is closed between J12 and J11, with traffic diverted down the Bath Road, Berkeley Avenue, Rose Kiln Lane and the A33. Except that the A33 is also closed, at the MadStad gyratory. So there is now a diversion on the diversion, up the Morrisons section of Rose Kiln Lane and down the Basingstoke Road.

Net result is, at nearly 11pm, solid un-moving traffic (mostly articulated lorries) all the way from the middle of Berkeley Avenue (and probably further west) as far as the Basingstoke Road (and probably further south). Glad I was going the other way.
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

chris_j_wood wrote: 11 Sep 2020 23:43 Brilliant and inspired coordination between the Highways Agency and Reading Borough Council tonight.

The M4 is closed between J12 and J11, with traffic diverted down the Bath Road, Berkeley Avenue, Rose Kiln Lane and the A33. Except that the A33 is also closed, at the MadStad gyratory. So there is now a diversion on the diversion, up the Morrisons section of Rose Kiln Lane and down the Basingstoke Road.

Net result is, at nearly 11pm, solid un-moving traffic (mostly articulated lorries) all the way from the middle of Berkeley Avenue (and probably further west) as far as the Basingstoke Road (and probably further south). Glad I was going the other way.
Not mention the fact that Thames WASTERS decided to put up 4 way temp lights in Berkeley Ave earlier this week during the overnight diversions.
Also the same total moronic company who had 3 way lights in Tilehurst Road/Water Road about a week ago playing hole digging have now returned to the exact same spot again with 3 way lights digging up the SAME VERY HOLE! What a lot of moronic crowd they are. Like they purposely just do it to keep their bods in work. The "excuse" on roadworks.org is that they are checking the contractors work. What a load of pathetic nonsense. RBC even allow them to do it, course they do - it causes traffic problems. Right up RBC's street. Main question, what about the problems caused to the emergency services? Surely they should intervene.
THC
Super Contributor

Post by THC »

Wasn’t the M4 closing an accident?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

THC wrote: 12 Sep 2020 14:27 Wasn’t the M4 closing an accident?
Yes, I believe so. But it seems to be the same every time. We were caught in one two or three years ago, coming from Coley Avenue to get home to Earley.... absolute chaos, which took us nearly 3 hours to get home - and there have been others since. So as Reading town seems to be the escape route/pinch point, why aren’t there signs in place offering diversions when it happens? Signs like those ‘lit’ ones that show what car parks are available, stay dark until needed.... (or the daft ones about not using your phone, or giving cyclists room)
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

I thought the M4 was closed this weekend?
There has been publicity about it.

If the council/ TW have already got emergency or planned roadworks and the government shut the M4, it's not their fault
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

dave m wrote: 12 Sep 2020 18:39 I thought the M4 was closed this weekend?

If the council/ TW have already got emergency or planned roadworks and the government shut the M4, it's not their fault
The M4 has been closed for several weekends including this one, but further east than Reading and also between Hungerford and Swindon.

Pete.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Junction 10 and 11
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

windrush wrote: 12 Sep 2020 19:10
dave m wrote: 12 Sep 2020 18:39 I thought the M4 was closed this weekend?

The M4 has been closed for several weekends including this one, but further east than Reading
Yes, last Sunday's closure was between 5 and 4B.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

piwacket wrote: 12 Sep 2020 14:37
Yes, I believe so.....
This is what I was referring to - not the closures due to ‘upgrades’
M4 crash near Reading causes long delays on motorway
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... s-18920542
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I drove across J11 at about 4:00pm and it was all clear okay then, so hadn’t started to build up at that time

TBH there have been continuous weekend / overnight closures of the M4 for months now whilst they have been doing the ‘NOT SO’ smart conversion
I used to see the warning / diversion signs all along the A3290/M when doing the Bracknell commute - some sent traffic towards Bracknell / M3 and others sent it towards Reading dependant which direction you came off the M4
Then when I changed jobs I noticed more of them out along the A33 diverting traffic to/from Basingstoke and the M3!

On a good note, they have fixed the Shinfield Rd lights I reported as being out of phase
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

OLDMAN wrote: 14 Sep 2020 08:40 I drove across J11 at about 4:00pm and it was all clear okay then, so hadn’t started to build up at that time

TBH there have been continuous weekend / overnight closures of the M4 for months now whilst they have been doing the ‘NOT SO’ smart conversion
I used to see the warning / diversion signs all along the A3290/M when doing the Bracknell commute - some sent traffic towards Bracknell / M3 and others sent it towards Reading dependant which direction you came off the M4
Then when I changed jobs I noticed more of them out along the A33 diverting traffic to/from Basingstoke and the M3!

On a good note, they have fixed the Shinfield Rd lights I reported as being out of phase
Lucky you, they want to try fixing some others as well, the ones at the Berkeley Ave/Bath Road junction in particular. The phasing on them has been stupid for months, well before coronavirus. Nothing can ever turn right off the railway bridge into Berkeley Ave & vice versa. Perhaps it is one of RBC's fancy so called "traffic calming schemes". Wouldn't put anything past those goons.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

buseng wrote: 14 Sep 2020 09:26
OLDMAN wrote: 14 Sep 2020 08:40 I drove across J11 at about 4:00pm and it was all clear okay then, so hadn’t started to build up at that time

Lucky you, they want to try fixing some others as well, the ones at the Berkeley Ave/Bath Road junction in particular. The phasing on them has been stupid for months, well before coronavirus. Nothing can ever turn right off the railway bridge into Berkeley Ave & vice versa. Perhaps it is one of RBC's fancy so called "traffic calming schemes". Wouldn't put anything past those goons.
Have you reported this to RBC buseng? It seems the council is responsive if you report problems.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
buseng
Super Contributor

Post by buseng »

Fed-up wrote: 14 Sep 2020 10:05
buseng wrote: 14 Sep 2020 09:26

Have you reported this to RBC buseng? It seems the council is responsive if you report problems.
I have in the past, but it falls on deaf ears.
This is one load of gobble-de-gook they came up with on one occasion.

"Many of the traffic signals on Readings primary road network (i.e A and B Classified roads) are linked and facilitate overall traffic flow around large areas of the network.

While a fault at a particular junction may provide some benefit to the flow of traffic on one individuals’ journey, it will undoubtedly have a negative impact to traffic flow in other directions d across a section of the network".
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

chris_j_wood wrote: 11 Sep 2020 23:43 Brilliant and inspired coordination between the Highways Agency and Reading Borough Council tonight.

piwacket wrote: 13 Sep 2020 10:18 This is what I was referring to - not the closures due to ‘upgrades’
M4 crash near Reading causes long delays on motorway
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readi ... s-18920542
No, I don't think that has anything to do with the issue I was talking about. This was much later (around 11pm) and I'd driven the other way a couple of hours earlier without problem, so any congestion due to a crash at 4pm must already have dissipated. Also I went past Calcot yesterday, and the signs announcing an overnight closure of the eastbound carriageway there on the 7th to the 11th were still up, so I'm pretty sure this was a planned closure of the M4. And the A33 closure was certainly roadworks, not a crash, because I saw it with my own eyes.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 14 Sep 2020 11:28 No, I don't think that has anything to do with the issue I was talking about.
OK :)

... but apart from the announcement signs about delays/road closures, do they offer or suggest alternative routes ? ... although I guess if people did observe them, they should plan ahead :-(
However having been caught, unwittingly, in one of these chaotic closures, as related above, as residents of the town I still feel a little help from the RBC Highways dept on possible routes would be most welcome.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

piwacket wrote: 14 Sep 2020 12:19
chris_j_wood wrote: 14 Sep 2020 11:28 No, I don't think that has anything to do with the issue I was talking about.
OK :)

... but apart from the announcement signs about delays/road closures, do they offer or suggest alternative routes ? ... although I guess if people did observe them, they should plan ahead :-(
However having been caught, unwittingly, in one of these chaotic closures, as related above, as residents of the town I still feel a little help from the RBC Highways dept on possible routes would be most welcome.
As I previously mentioned all the planned night closures have are signed, with warnings of when and diversions to follow - and the sign are left out all the time so ready - these are all sorted by the HA and not locally covered

Problem is if it sends traffic through the town then it can cause the hold-ups and there are no alternatives for RBC to give

I got caught the other month when looking for another car - stupidly went over to Beenham via M4 but it had the 50mph limit / cameras and traffic was heavy, I did filter a little as on the bike but it felt like it took forever -13miles in 40mins
Coming back I came through the town and in almost half the time - 11miles in 22mins?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Chatty Person”