Street Cleaning

General chat forum
OLDMAN

Street Cleaning

Post by OLDMAN »

Okay I’ve got a question - who sees the street cleaners about, and where?

I’m asking as apart from a few bins emptied’ we rarely get them up where I live and it’s the same down the down the Wokingham Rd shops / Cemetery Junction - although they did have a good one in Newtown but he’s retired now

But the main reason for the question is I see some EVERY morning at 6:15-6:45am at the same place as I drive past!
There is an RBC truck and 2,3, or sometimes 4 guys doing the bins and litter picking that I see at the Shinfield Rd shops area (old Merry Maidens stretch)
Okay on Wednesdays they get busy as the WBC border and refuse collections are just along from that area and if the wind is blowing that way a lot of rubbish gets strewn along

But it does seem that every day is a bit OTT when others areas hardly get touched – or am I missing something?

I know one of them and if I get a chance will ask him but we don’t cross paths as much as we used to (he moved /drinks in different pub now) but makes me wonder of others experiences?
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Re: Street Cleaning

Post by piwacket »

How are you defining Street Cleaning? A man with a broom and a pull along cart? Haven’t seen one like that for years ... on the other hand WBC send a chap on a ‘scooter’ type vehicle down our road - sometimes a much bigger vehicle with a sort of suction hose.... together with occasional chaps cutting the verges.... on the whole the whole road looks fairly neat.
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Proper men with brooms – the ones I see have litter pickers / brooms / shovels to clear up rubbish and also empty the bins
Not seen a cleaning truck for ages, nor seen signs of one coming round the area for an awfully long time – the gutters on our road aren’t so much dirty but now ‘overgrown’

And it sounds I as if WBC are the same with differing areas if you get that much service happening - my brother / friend’s etc have a problem in LE, he regularly leaves a piece of debris in the gutter for when he reports they haven’t cleaned, they try and make out they come round regular but he mentions his ‘trap’ that hasn’t moved for months – soon shuts them up / gets a cleaner out!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

Sitting at my desk in our front bedroom, I see the RBC pick up that empties the dog poo bin regularly - though they won't sweep up the broken glass from the phone box that's been there weeks - this is apparently for BT to deal with. Mostly I see this truck parked outside Greggs on Christchurch Road - not dealing with the litter, just keeping Greggs afloat.
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Yes, they’re fairly regular round here, which is good... didn’t realise it varied across the area.
I’ve also noticed people (presumably volunteers) with a black sack and litter grabbers getting the last bits and pieces - Our ACER Group is very diligent in keeping the area looking nice. More difficult maybe in LE with higher density of housing and children?
There's no such thing as a free lunch
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

How odd – do RBC read this forum?

This morning the RBC truck was just coming down Elm Rd but with 2 women in it, and no-one cleaning around the shops area
That’s the first time I’ve seen that since going up through there early mornings for about 2 months plus
Did wonder if my mate was on holiday as not seen him but as now just over 2 weeks he might be somewhere else, but the other 2 or 3 guys who are regularly up there have still been the same ones……………..until today

We get DP / rubbish bins emptied around our area, and not that often as is noticeable when there are ‘fly-tipped’ bags and items by one particular bin that end up getting reputed as there so log at times! But it’s very rare the streets get cleaned
There are some of us that litter pick, and we got pickers / gloves bags etc from the council to do it, but is not the same as we can only deal with general rubbish
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Lizzy33
Super Contributor

Post by Lizzy33 »

I sometimes see the truck with the sweepers maybe once a month or once every other month.
I've seen more volunteers doing litter collection. I think maybe councils will ask for more volunteers to do things in the community
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

Lizzy33 wrote: 24 Aug 2020 11:51 I sometimes see the truck with the sweepers maybe once a month or once every other month.
I've seen more volunteers doing litter collection. I think maybe councils will ask for more volunteers to do things in the community
We used to get gangs of folk doing 'Community Service' litter picking here but I haven't seen them for a year or two now. Maybe everyone is behaving themselves now and Community Service is a thing of the past? :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Lizzy33 wrote: 24 Aug 2020 11:51 I sometimes see the truck with the sweepers maybe once a month or once every other month.
Still every morning up at the Shinfield Rd shops!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Now this is getting weird and makes me wonder – since my last comment about being there ‘everyday’ they haven’t been there for the last 2 days - unless going at a different time?
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Ollycat
Super Contributor

Post by Ollycat »

There was a van at the Christchurch shops this morning, about 7.15?
Don't judge me by the newspaper I read
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Ollycat wrote: 26 Aug 2020 10:53 There was a van at the Christchurch shops this morning, about 7.15?
Ah - I'm talking Merry Maidens / shops area - and usually just after 6:00am so may have changed their times
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Chatty Person”