Not the usual Sunday!

General chat forum
piwacket

Not the usual Sunday!

Post by piwacket »

Some may remember we have a visiting cat, a rag doll fellow...
About 6.30 this morning lying in bed asleep, I was then aware of him ‘padding’ my leg - quite usual, then “ouch” a claw! A few minutes later.... hmm I thought that hurts, lifted the top sheet, blood gushing from it, top sheet saturated, and bottom sheet! OH by this time was awake of course ... so I lifted my leg and moved it, so blood poured over the sheepskin rug beside the bed. OH rushed to the kitchen and got a pile of kitchen roll to cover my leg, then picked up the rug, so much blood it dropped on the (pale beige) carpet leaving a trail .... and took the rug and threw in the kitchen sink.... still so much blood pouring from my leg, the pile of kitchen roll was saturated... so he grabbed my pillow to raise my leg.... pillow then saturated! Gradually it eased, so I half hobbled to the chair with a my leg up on the bed.... bedspread then covered! Eventually it stopped and OH stripped the bed... mattress cover also soaked... everything now in the kitchen. He ran cold water over all the stains, and threw them all over the washing line, awaiting it all to go in washing machine. Found another bedspread, and we had a cuppa, and then some breakfast. Fortunately in the First Aid box we still had some huge padded plasters from when I injured the other leg two or three years ago.
After a while I got up, went to the bathroom to have a wash and tidy myself up... put a bit of mascara on - for which I need my reading glasses.... picked them, and one arm fell off! OH had shouted through that he was making Coffee - ooh great!
Then I saw from the window him shaking the kitchen mat ... went to the kitchen - swimming in hot coffee everywhere... the cafeteria glass jug had shattered! Pale beige rug soaked, floor and worktop smothered... :cry1: :cry1: :taz1:

Washing machine is on, and will be all afternoon - and we’re shattered.
But at least it’s not raining - the sun is shining and there’s a good strong breeze - thankfully for once!

And I’m sitting with my leg up, OH got a bit of light lunch and we’re having an M & S Chinese for dinner to save standing over the cooker too long this evening :)
There's no such thing as a free lunch
lizwing
Super Contributor

Re: Not the usual Sunday!

Post by lizwing »

Oh Pi, what a dreadful day! I wonder why you bled so badly? Be careful you don’t bang your leg and start it again.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Poor you ! Keep an eye on that wound....sure VoT will have something to say 😉

Hope the rest of the day is calmer 💐
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 05 Jul 2020 15:57 Oh Pi, what a dreadful day! I wonder why you bled so badly? Be careful you don’t bang your leg and start it again.
I think by sheer bad luck, himself the cat hit a vein... and I take aspirin!
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Post by maggieaitch »

What a tale of woe, so sorry to hear it Pi. Good thing OH was able to take control of the bleeding, but frightening all the same. The cafetiere really shouldn't have broken, you haven't had it long, I remember when you got it. Hope you will complain and get a replacement. I'm afraid I bleed like that too, last time I brushed against something sharp in the garden, I didn't notice till the blood started coming out of the top of my shoe. At least I didn't drip it all over the house.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

OH has the same problem because he’s on Warfarin, he was cutting back some shrubs and caught the top of his head on a branch, he didn’t realise what he’d done but when he came in he looked like someone from a horror movie with blood literally pouring down his face and dripping onto the floor.
BY Paulo Coelho
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

How terrible Pi. Hope it soon heals well and that the bedroom becomes a cat free area. However, I am puzzling how you apply mascara while wearing glasses??
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

maggieaitch wrote: 05 Jul 2020 17:04 The cafetiere really shouldn't have broken, you haven't had it long, I remember when you got it.
No it shouldn’t Maggie, don’t know whether OH will pursue it, though I think he should!
lizwing wrote: 05 Jul 2020 17:38 OH has the same problem because he’s on Warfarin,.....
Thankfully I’m not on that... and in fact GP advised that I can cut down the aspirin to one every other day which is what I now do.
Bam wrote: 05 Jul 2020 17:42 How terrible Pi. Hope it soon heals well and that the bedroom becomes a cat free area. However, I am puzzling how you apply mascara while wearing glasses??
Thanks Bam - fortunately I heal pretty quickly..... not so much ‘wear’ the glasses - they’re perched on the end of my nose! just enough to see through so I don’t look like a Panda :))
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Ooo Oi, what a trial! Hope your leg is better soon. The Alledged was on a type of man-made warfarin for three months after being diagnosed with the DVT. Was told not to do any diy in case they caught themselves (pffft, caught themselves doing something useful more like). Aspirin is a beggar for bleeding but you’re doing the right thing cutting back.

Think you’ve had your run of bad luck for the year now!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

Terrible start to the day Pi. Hope you are feeling better now. I always used to put a metal spoon into my glass cafetiere when adding the hot water but have not bothered recently. Perhaps I should.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

What start to the day Pi! Hope you're now on the mend.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

That's not the best start to a day Pi! I'm on Rivaroxaban for my ticker and they have a similar effect, at one time I healed up in minutes but not now. I cut my finger at a country show we were exhibiting at a couple of years ago, only a 'nick' and I didn't know I had done it until someone mentioned the blood. I ended up at the St Johns Ambulance tent being treated by some nice ladies, then several days later I had a call from them checking that I was ok. I also bruise easier as well, my skin turns a nice shade of purple! :-)

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

My OH looks as though I’ve been beating him he’s got so many bruises.
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Jul 2020 18:07 Ooo Oi, what a trial! Hope your leg is better soon.
I presume Oi is me :)) Yes, I’m glad to have cut down on the aspirin - don’t bruise quite as easily as I did.

Thanks CaV and Fed-up, yes, it’s not feeling too bad now, after a couple of hours with my leg raised... though not used to just sitting :( CaV that sounds like a good idea, I’d go back to it - the mess was yugh!

Pete - all that bruising - just how I was, thankfully not so bad now.

... but would you believe, OH went to Marks, and all their chilled food and freezers were shut off due to an electrical fault! :banghead: So no Chinese easy-cook .... we had a chicken pie from the freezer + veggies. So now sitting again(!) with a coffee and a little drop of Brandy - for medicinal purposes :)
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I 'think' I remember your tetanus is up to date but please check. Friends mother did something similar ( or friends cat did ) and she had to have a booster. iIRC
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 05 Jul 2020 21:14 I 'think' I remember your tetanus is up to date but please check. Friends mother did something similar ( or friends cat did ) and she had to have a booster. iIRC
No unfortunately and I can’t have any booster - I had such a bad reaction to the first shot it was decided inadvisable to have any more. The wound is clean and very small considering the amount of blood! and although it aches a bit it’s not swollen. As his claw probably only just touched it, in the wrong place (a vein) it’s not as though it was the whole claw... just felt more like a pin prick when he did it! But thanks for your thought. :)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Put some Germolene on it Pi, cures everything 😊
BY Paulo Coelho
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Sorry Pi. Between the Grammy hands and the iPad with a mind of its own, I’m surprise I can string two sentences together!
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 05 Jul 2020 21:47 Put some Germolene on it Pi, cures everything 😊
I don’t have any Germoline, but I did put a liberal coating of Savlon on.
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 05 Jul 2020 22:14 Sorry Pi. Between the Grammy hands and the iPad with a mind of its own, I’m surprise I can string two sentences together!
:) know what you mean!
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Nice to hear all sorted from your ordeal Pi but……………..a polite question - do you have varicose veins? Even if only in a slight form / not visible
That sounds like the sort of wound / bleed you get with them, it only takes a minor bang / nick and they bleed ‘very’ badly - as a first aider I’ve treated 2 in the past and what a mess on the first one at work - I got called down to it a while after he hit his leg - the guy was sitting on a stool with his leg slightly up and trying to stem the flow with a dressing, there was a pile of used stuff next to him that looked like red rags, and people trying to clean it up, which included mopping the floor as so bad
It looked like a horror film
Second wasn’t as bad due to me being there (this was in a pub) when the woman hit her leg so I treated her straight away

And you have to be mildly ‘violent’ in the treatment
Flat on the back, leg up as high, straight and far back as possible, (creates pressure in the groin area) hard pressure on the wound with a pad or gloved hand, and wait / keep checking if stopped, then dress the wound when it has
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

piwacket wrote: 05 Jul 2020 22:42
I don’t have any Germoline, but I did put a liberal coating of Savlon on.
Savlon always keeps me bleeding, useful to ease out splinters.

A pad soaked in vinegar and pressed on a wound for a minute or two seals me up, yes it does sting a bit to start with.
D5equj5
Super Contributor

Post by D5equj5 »

Crikey Pi what a day!
I think the native Indians of North America used to get some leaves, chew them up and pack the wound with it - I'm sure they helped John Wayne with it once. Perhaps you could get PC49 to chew-up the Geraniums and slap it on your leg.

Still, all bad luck at once means you're in the clear for a while at least.
Keep safe
XX
Imaginari quaestionem. codice est. trucidabunt eam. participes.
Call me 2jabsD5
All posts are made during my own time or whilst on "fag breaks" at work. I shall endeavour to follow and comply with my employers documented Social Media Policy The views I express here are mine alone and are unlikely to reflect the views of my employer.
Start each day with a smile and get it over with.
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Crikey Pi, that sounds like a shocker! Hope you're on the mend.
I had a flatmate once who managed to break a cafetiere - dumped a load of absolutely boiling water straight into it and the thermal shock shattered the glass. (Also a daft thing to do because you don't want to make coffee with water hotter than about 95C as it makes the coffee bitter)
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 06 Jul 2020 11:06 Nice to hear all sorted from your ordeal Pi but……………..a polite question - do you have varicose veins? Even if only in a slight form / not visible
No, no problem there OM, nor ever any question of that.
Bam wrote: 06 Jul 2020 11:28 Savlon always keeps me bleeding, useful to ease out splinters.

A pad soaked in vinegar and pressed on a wound for a minute or two seals me up, yes it does sting a bit to start with.
Oooh I can feel the sting :(
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

D5equj5 wrote: 06 Jul 2020 11:37 Crikey Pi what a day!
I think the native Indians of North America used to get some leaves, chew them up and pack the wound with it - I'm sure they helped John Wayne with it once. Perhaps you could get PC49 to chew-up the Geraniums and slap it on your leg.

Still, all bad luck at once means you're in the clear for a while at least.
Hahaha D5!
I hope your forecast is correct :)
Pooneil wrote: 06 Jul 2020 11:38 Crikey Pi, that sounds like a shocker! Hope you're on the mend.
I had a flatmate once who managed to break a cafetiere - dumped a load of absolutely boiling water straight into it and the thermal shock shattered the glass. (Also a daft thing to do because you don't want to make coffee with water hotter than about 95C as it makes the coffee bitter)
Thanks Poo, yes feel better now after a very good nights sleep.... literally went out like a light!
OH is in charge of the coffee, and I know he always waits a couple of minutes after the kettle has boiled, before pouring into the Cafeteria... so I think it was just a rogue jug! But oh what a mess!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Good idea never to use abrasives on cafetières, one cleaner Pink Stuff has been connected to oven doors shattering for no good reason.....
Glad the leg has improved
Bam
Super Contributor

Post by Bam »

When I was a school kid I remember empty Duralex glass tumblers exploding at the dinner table for no reason at all. They were made in France and had the nickname "French Letters".
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Mayfield wrote: 06 Jul 2020 12:34 Good idea never to use abrasives on cafetières, one cleaner Pink Stuff has been connected to oven doors shattering for no good reason.....
Glad the leg has improved
No abrasive used here. It’s just washed with the other crocks but usually the last thing, so other bits don’t bump into it.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Oh dear Pi. Hope you are feeling better soon.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 06 Jul 2020 17:12 Oh dear Pi. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Thanks Chris :)
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Bam wrote: 06 Jul 2020 14:18 When I was a school kid I remember empty Duralex glass tumblers exploding at the dinner table for no reason at all. They were made in France and had the nickname "French Letters".
Duralex seemed to be the French equivalent of Pyrex, and also made laboratory glassware. Don't know if they made test tubes as well, but that would have been very appropriate

Return to “Chatty Person”